[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga World Top Ten PD games

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/16/90)

        From amiga-relay-request@louie.udel.edu Mon Oct 15 04:26:40 1990
        From: Mike Farren <farren@well.sf.ca.us>
        Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games
        Subject: Re: Amiga World Top Ten PD games
        Date: 15 Oct 90 06:31:02 GMT
        To: amiga-relay@udel.edu
        Sender: amiga-relay-request@udel.edu

        poirier@IRO.UMontreal.CA (Stephane Poirier) writes:

        >10 DeluxeBurger
                Never heard of it.
        >9  Destination Moonbase
                Pretty decent, but way too easy to learn.  Once you've learned,
                it's trivial to win.  It lasted about two days on my system.
        >8  Quattro
                Don't know it.
        >7  Electric Train
                Give me a break - this is a truly dumb program.  Graphics are
                crummy, interface is crummy, coding is awful (it leaves little
                tracks scattered all around the place), and it's BORING.  I did
                a train game for the IBM (conversion from an Apple II game)
                which at least allowed you to pick up and drop off cargo, and
                such.  It was boring too - but this is worse.
        >6  Metro
                Good game, but once you've learned how to win, you win every tim
        >5  Nakamoto (updated Jumpman)
                Truly awful interface and crummy graphics.  Thumbs down.
        >4  MechForce
                Pretty comprehensive, but far too much going on for any but the
                most accomplished wargamer types.
        >3  Monopoly
                Which one - the C or BASIC version?  Either one doesn't hold a
                candle to playing real Monopoly.
        >2  Moria 3.0
                Yah, sure, you betcha - but I found it pretty boring around leve
                20 or so.  And I hate games where the final challenge is essenti
                unbeatable without cheating.  (Yes, HACK does fall into that
                category for me).
        >1 Star Trek the Game
                Haven't been able to try this one yet.

        And how about Tricky or Drip, two of the best PD games I've ever seen?
        Larn?  Seems to me that this is about up to the standard AmigaWorld qual
        level - meaning, of course, abysmal.

        --
        Mike Farren                                  farren@well.sf.ca.us

About MORIA 3.0:
You just have to keep plugging away at it; down around level 55 is where the
really good weapons, scrolls, wands and staves can be found. I *DID* kill the
Balrog (on level 101 (!)) and have started all over again. I haven't seen
the new Star Trek game, either, but it'll have to be a raving monster to
beat MORIA 3.0 for great PD gaming...
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/16/90)

     You probably won't be happy w/ the Star Trek game either.  The version
they picked as #1 was by Jimbo Barber (sp?) who did that moonbase game as well.
     Once you get past the digitized sound, you find a very lame game.  All
you do is go from planet to planet, transporting an item f/ one planet to
another.
     There's this version from Germany that's pretty decent though.
                                                Jason

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/17/90)

Re: Omega

After winning MORIA, I thought I'd be ready for OMEGA, (Note: NOT the Origin
cybertank game) but I wasn't able to get very far and didn't get back to it.
Any hints for new players that ya wanna pass on?
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

hrlaser@crash.cts.com (Harv Laser) (10/17/90)

In article <46200135@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     You probably won't be happy w/ the Star Trek game either.  The version
>they picked as #1 was by Jimbo Barber (sp?) who did that moonbase game as well.
>     Once you get past the digitized sound, you find a very lame game.  All
>you do is go from planet to planet, transporting an item f/ one planet to
>another.
>     There's this version from Germany that's pretty decent though.
>                                                Jason

The Star Trek game from Germany, by Tobias Richter, wasn't available yet
(at least not in the USA) when Amiga World handed out the ballots for
voting on the best "PD" games a few months ago. Between the time the
ballots were sent back and the issue came out, his game arrived here...
so that's why it wasn't included in the listings.  Keep the idea of a
"three month lead time" in mind when you discuss magazine articles.
I probably would have put Tobias' Trek as my #1 choice if I had had it
when I was filling out my ballot.  But you do Jimbo Barber a major
discredit by labelling his as a "very lame game."  He's a talented
programmer who's been cranking out freely distributable Amiga software for
a long time and I'm happy that he's finally gotten some nationally-
published recognition for his efforts.

Harv Laser                                      {anywhere}!crash!hrlaser
"Park and lock it.  Not responsible."           People/Link: CBM*HARV

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/19/90)

I agree about SORRY!; it was beautifully done. Th copy I got had a note
saying it was from a programmer at Parker Bros., incidentally...

And what's with the homophobia?

                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/23/90)

LARN is available on Fish #63, if you can't find it in FTP. Well worth
getting--it's actually winnable!
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet