[comp.sys.amiga] Multiple modem windows.

mt87692@tut.fi (Mikko Tsokkinen) (10/20/90)

 Hello.

 I have an amiga 2000 and a 2400 baud modem and I would like to use university
computers from home efficiently. Now I would like to have suggestions how to
open multiple windows to differrent machines using equipment mentioned before.
 I can think of one solution. I use DNET to open multiple windows and use
bigger wb-screen (1k*1k) to open the windows in and then scroll around. A lot
more better solution would be X-windows but I haven't seen any for amiga (are
there any).

 How are you people out there using your amiga and modem? Are you using VLT or
NComm or some other vt100 emulators?

 I'm a poor stutend so I can't afford anything expensive :-(

 MIT

--
Lets buy a dog!

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (10/23/90)

In article <MT87692.90Oct20155239@uikku.tut.fi>, Mikko Tsokkinen writes:

>  I have an amiga 2000 and a 2400 baud modem and I would like to use university
> computers from home efficiently. Now I would like to have suggestions how to
> open multiple windows to differrent machines using equipment mentioned before.
>  I can think of one solution. I use DNET to open multiple windows and use
> bigger wb-screen (1k*1k) to open the windows in and then scroll around. A lot
> more better solution would be X-windows but I haven't seen any for amiga (are
> there any).

   I used the DNet solution alot, it did much of what I wanted, with a
similar hardware setup. Noone would like using X over 2400 baud -
it's way too slow.

   Yes, Dale 'GfxBase' Luck sells XWindows for Amiga. I've seen it running,
it's nice, and for X, fairly fast.

>  How are you people out there using your amiga and modem? Are you using VLT or
> NComm or some other vt100 emulators?

   I mainly do networking. I have a full UUCP feed and am using Dillon's
AmigaUUCP to do pretty much everything needed in that connection.

   Also, I'm connected to FidoNet for the more local stuff, using nice
PD/shareware programs out of Europe and Australia. Chameleon, TrapDoor &
FastPoint.

   Both mean I get to read/write mail & articles offline - quite a phone saver.

   For BBS connections, I use JRComm 1.01, which does everything I want
apart from ARexx scripting. Haven't tried it's VT100, I have ATalkIII in
reserve for that.

>  I'm a poor stutend so I can't afford anything expensive :-(

   The only item of the above that would ruin you is X.

   I wish you clean connections!

                                         -Henrik
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/