[comp.sys.amiga] Audio samplers

ECZ5ACK@OAC.UCLA.EDU (10/17/90)

   I am ready to buy an audio sampler for my Amiga 500.  I was considering
Perfect Sound until I heard of (possible) conflicts with the Audiomaster
software.  I also want to do some MIDI work eventually; is there a
combined sampler/MIDI piece of hardware (is that what AMAS is)?

Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Andy Kohler

ecz5ack@UCLAMVS  or  ecz5ack@oac.ucla.edu

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (10/18/90)

In Message-ID: <9010171630.AA13548@lilac.berkeley.edu>
          ECZ5ACK@OAC.UCLA.EDU said:
>   I am ready to buy an audio sampler for my Amiga 500.  I was considering
>Perfect Sound until I heard of (possible) conflicts with the Audiomaster
>software.  I also want to do some MIDI work eventually; is there a
>combined sampler/MIDI piece of hardware (is that what AMAS is)?

I guess Perfect Sound 3.0 *does* work with AudioMaster III, but I think in
your case AMAS might be just the thing: AMAS is a sampler and simple MIDI
interface.

>Andy Kohler

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
| COOL DRIVING TECHNIQUE #17: Leave your left turn signal on while driving. |
|    (Right signal may be used, but driving with HAZARDS on is _uncool_.)   |

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/19/90)

AMAS is indeed a combo MIDI/sampler unit. The main limitation is that it's
only able to do samples that are < 2 meg in size. If that doesn't bother you,
it's a good choice.
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

jkh@bambam.pcs.com (Jordan K. Hubbard) (10/19/90)

Forget about Perfect Sound. The 3.x hardware is incompatable with
most 3rd party software and they screwed the 3.0 folks out of the
additional software they'd promised (and mention in the manual).

I bought Perfect Sound 3.0 and now wish very much that I'd gotten
Audiomaster II. Oh well. Don't make the same mistake I made.

				Jordan

donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) (10/23/90)

In article <33916@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>AMAS is indeed a combo MIDI/sampler unit. The main limitation is that it's
>only able to do samples that are < 2 meg in size. If that doesn't bother you,
>it's a good choice.
>                                                --rw
>                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

AudioMaster III from Aegis/Oxxi, just released is a very incredible
package and does more than quite a lot. It will double your previous
sampling rate, supports AMAS, Starsound, Gsound, PSOUND1,2,&3 and
Future sound and a dubious "HIGH SPEED" setting which I have yet
to figure out. It compresses sounds better and supports and extended
form of looping. This gives you loads more sound for the time. Also
comes with a cute little "cd player" interface sound playback program
that will playback 20 samples.

*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******
********* CreativEdge Systems, the Multimedia Solution    ******
********* The Computer Shoppe, Ypsilanti-Ann Arbor, MI's  ******
********* Commodore-Amiga Education Dealer                ******

In article <1990Oct23.021841.4128@bushido.uucp> donb@bushido.uucp (Donald Burnett) writes:

>AudioMaster III from Aegis/Oxxi, just released is a very incredible
>package and does more than quite a lot. It will double your previous
>sampling rate, supports AMAS, Starsound, Gsound, PSOUND1,2,&3 and
>Future sound and a dubious "HIGH SPEED" setting which I have yet
>to figure out. It compresses sounds better and supports and extended
>form of looping. This gives you loads more sound for the time. Also
>comes with a cute little "cd player" interface sound playback program
>that will playback 20 samples.

	Will it let you load from disk while playing to get
unlimited sound? Will it let you digitize directly to disk to get
unlimited sound? From your description it doesn't, yet the little
Atari ST has had a program to do this for quite a while! It is
really annoying that they don't look to their HD owners.

>--
>*********    donb@bushido.uucp                            ******
>********* "My Opinions are my own, not anyone else's      ******
>********* Organizational Affiliations                     ******