[comp.sys.amiga] DNET at 2400 baud

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (10/22/90)

    I have been having a strange problem with DNET that I hope someone can
help me with. I have been using DNET for quite a while to connect my Amiga at
home with the Sun workstation I have on my desk at work. I originally had a
1200 baud modem & everything has worked fine at that speed. Last march when
I upgraded my A1000 to a A2000 I got a 2400 baud modem at the same time.
I can still connect to the Sun at 1200 baud with DNET but it does not want
to work at 2400 baud. It lets me login and works ok right up to the time
I enter 'dnet' on the Sun to open the fterm window. Then it just hangs. I
can't find anything that would be speed dependent at that point. So far I
have had to do all the transfers at 1200 baud which now seems so slow.
   Does anyone have any clue what might be wrong, or where to start to look.
I have gone as far as I can with my meager understanding of DNET. Thanks.

						Terry

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (10/23/90)

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:

>I enter 'dnet' on the Sun to open the fterm window. Then it just hangs. I
>can't find anything that would be speed dependent at that point.

>						Terry

Did you try specifying the new baud rate in either preferences or telling
DNet directly with the -bBAUD_RATE option (Amiga side)?

For instance:
1> run dnet -b2400

and using the same setup that works at 1200 baud?

>| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
>| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
>| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
>| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu             These opinions are mine, that's all.|

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (10/23/90)

In article <1990Oct23.030917.25756@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
>terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:
>
>>I enter 'dnet' on the Sun to open the fterm window. Then it just hangs. I
>>can't find anything that would be speed dependent at that point.
>
>>						Terry
>
>Did you try specifying the new baud rate in either preferences or telling
>DNet directly with the -bBAUD_RATE option (Amiga side)?
>
>For instance:
>1> run dnet -b2400
>
>and using the same setup that works at 1200 baud?

   The only way to connect to the Sun from home is via a network server
that is connected to a modem in another building. It only accepts 7E1 for
protocol. I have been using the command 'run dnet -b1200 -P1 -Z0' to
connect at 1200 baud & it has (& still does) work fine. When I change the
command to 'run dnet -b2400 -P1 -Z0' everything works fine until I enter the
command 'dnet' on the Sun. Then the dnet window closes, a fterm window opens
(as it should), & the system is dead at that point. I am able to move to the
CLI window and enter 'quitdnet', which will close the fterm window & reconnect
me to the Sun via a dnet window so I can log off & disconnect from the
server. I have had a couple of suggestions via mail that have not worked.
One was to move the line 'auta 2400 etc' to the top of the dnet.config file.
But I am not connecting in auto mode. When I tried this and gave the '-a'
option to dnet I was unable to stay in the dnet window long enough to get
through the terminal server & connect to the Sun. For those who are going to
ask if I am running the 7 bit version of Dnet... yes I am & it works fine at
1200 baud ONLY.
   I appreciate any help that is offored. Thanks.