[comp.sys.amiga] 300M Maxtor won't format on A2090.

e5pj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (10/15/90)

	I have a question about the A2090 HD controller.

	I just got a Maxtor XT-8380S, 300Meg Harddrive and tried to format it
on my Amiga using the A2090 contoller. It just wouldn't do it! It could prep
the drive, but wouldn't format the drive.
	I had no problem with my other 20Meg SCSI drive and followed
instructions to the point, but with no luck.
	I then took the MAXTOR drive to my friends Amiga with a GVP HD
controller and it formatted without any problems!!!
	I was then told that the A2090 doesn't handle large drives. Is that
true? If anybody has had similar problsm with the A2090 and harddrives, and
have found a solution to it, could you please e-mail me? Thanks!

***Vincent***

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct14.173105.383@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> e5pj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>	I have a question about the A2090 HD controller.
>
>	I just got a Maxtor XT-8380S, 300Meg Harddrive and tried to format it
>on my Amiga using the A2090 contoller.
>	I then took the MAXTOR drive to my friends Amiga with a GVP HD
>controller and it formatted without any problems!!!
>	I was then told that the A2090 doesn't handle large drives. Is that
>true? If anybody has had similar problsm with the A2090 and harddrives, and
>have found a solution to it, could you please e-mail me? Thanks!

It may be that the 2090 won't format _fast_ drives and that the size
isn't the problem.  I recently used the 2090 to format a Maxtor
XT-3280S (280 Megabytes unformatted capacity) and it worked fine: I
just followed the standard "cookbook" instructions.  I'm new enuff
with Amiga hard-disks to still be afraid of them, but all went well.

My 3280 is a 10 Megabit/second drive; I think your 8380 may be a 15
Megabit/sec version.  Thus, the 2090 may not be capable of handling
the data stream?

kEITHe

PS - I'd've (huh?) e-mailed this privately to the original poster
     but I think some "informed contribution" might be in order
     here - any volunteers?