[comp.sys.amiga] PageStream 2.0: Can it work with 1 meg?

atai@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (see far ) (10/23/90)

Hello, Can anyone tell me how well does PageStream 2.0 work with a
1-meg Amiga?  How many pages can you have?  Is more memory needed in
order to do anything useful with PageStream?  Any info is
appreciated.

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (10/23/90)

In article <13471@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> atai@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (see far ) writes:

>Hello, Can anyone tell me how well does PageStream 2.0 work with a
>1-meg Amiga?  How many pages can you have?  Is more memory needed in
>order to do anything useful with PageStream?  Any info is
>appreciated.

Haven't worked within 1 meg constraints, but,

The 2.0 manual states "The maximum number of pages for a single
document is 254, assuming sufficient free memory." The most I've done
is around 10, & I didn't track memory usage when I was doing it.

> useful:
I would say that depends on what else you wish to have running in your
environment whilst using PageStream.  I usually loose around 600k when
I invoke it. I consider PageStream extremely useful & pretty much leave
it's toolbox hanging around on my workbench screen all the time now,
but then & have a 5 meg 2500/20. I have run it with no problems on my
A1000 with 2 meg ram & A590 also.

PS2.0 also works very nicely with the virtual screen in Workbench 2.0 I
made my workbench screen big enough for a full-size portrait or
landscape page to let me just scroll around without having to redraw
everything or resize.  Pretty nice...

My turn:
Has anyone had success importing AegisDraw files into PS2.0? If so, how
about AegisDraw files generated by Plplot :^)?

Thanks
Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
       "Well... can't you get a Novell card for your Cray !?"

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (10/24/90)

----Stuff Deleted

>Haven't worked within 1 meg constraints, but,
>
>The 2.0 manual states "The maximum number of pages for a single
>document is 254, assuming sufficient free memory." The most I've done
>is around 10, & I didn't track memory usage when I was doing it.

I hope this is a typo...  I own version 1.8 and it currently has a max
number of pages of 254...   The ad for upgrading to 2.0 says it has a
new max number of pages of 1000...  True, I generally work with small
documents, but I got the notion once to print the manual from the PD
C Tutor on a PostScript printer and I therefore ran it through PGS - 254
pages was not enough to do it in one document...

----More Stuff Deleted

>My turn:
>Has anyone had success importing AegisDraw files into PS2.0? If so, how
>about AegisDraw files generated by Plplot :^)?

I've had no trouble getting AegisDraw files to import into PS1.8 (and
1.6 for that matter), it works great...   I've never been able to get a
Plplot generated "Pseudo" AegisDraw file to import...  Sorry I can't say
for 2.0...

>Thanks

Hope this sheds a little light...  Anyone know about the max number of
pages statistics???

Virtually, Leon D. Shaner
+--------------------------------+-----------------------------------+
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------+

stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) (10/24/90)

In article <28937@swrinde.nde.swri.edu>, kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:
> In article <13471@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> atai@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (see far ) writes:

> >Hello, Can anyone tell me how well does PageStream 2.0 work with a
> >1-meg Amiga?  How many pages can you have?  Is more memory needed in
> >order to do anything useful with PageStream?  Any info is
> >appreciated.

    I haven't used PageStream 2.0; I'm still using 1.8.  However, I
found that with 1 Meg, I had to be very careful.  I couldn't print
unless I had just rebooted the machine with a special startup-sequence
that left a lot of things out.  I also couldn't import any pictures.
There were other things that I couldn't do.  The most common symptom
was that PageStream would go off contemplating its navel and wouldn't
do anything.

> My turn:
> Has anyone had success importing AegisDraw files into PS2.0? If so, how
> about AegisDraw files generated by Plplot :^)?
>
> Thanks
> Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
>        "Well... can't you get a Novell card for your Cray !?"

I have imported Aegis files into PageStream.  The pictures had to
have been formatted in 8.5 by 11 units in Draw.  I don't know about
PlPlot, but when I tried to import Draw files that I made from
the Diga! tektronics emulation, I got garbage even though they
displayed fine in Draw.  I decided that this because the tektronics
pictures had dimensions of 4096 by 4096.

				Eric Stern
				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu