[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga vs

robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto 'Robin' Tarpio) (10/17/90)

When do we get back our comp.sys.amiga ? The whole group has changed
to comp.sys.MaXT and I'm really tired reading it.

If you spilt the c.s.a, please make a newsgroup for the Computer
wars and discussion of new Macs, NeXTs and Sparcs so I can unsubscibe
it :-)

Please think about what you are writing ! This group contains more
Mac-, NeXT- and Sparc news than Amiga-news and I guess I'm not the
only one who doesn't like that. Write to comp.misc or the correct
newsgroup if you aren't writing about Amiga. I'm sure the people
that wants to read about Macs etc are reading other groups than
c.s.a too.

And to cut down the noise-level: Understand this:

	You won't hear a single bit about all the new stuff
	Commodore is developing until it is ready. There won't
	be any rumors from Commodore anymore and they won't
	tell you anything no matter how hard you flame. If
	Commodore is quiet, they are not sleeping. They are
	working.

*               StarSoft Ky (ECO101)   Helsinki University of Technology    *
* Jarto Tarpio  Member of Amiga Developers' Support Program, Europe (ADSPE) *
*               * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*         //    robin@niksula.hut.fi   robin@otax.tky.hut.fi                *
*        //     * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
*   \\  //                                                                  *
*    \\//       Snif. @batcomputer.hut.fi is dead ! @joker.hut.fi won.. :-( *
*                                                                           *

db@cs.ed.ac.uk (Dave Berry) (10/18/90)

In article <ROBIN.90Oct17091447@hulk.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto 'Robin' Tarpio) writes:

>When do we get back our comp.sys.amiga ? The whole group has changed
>to comp.sys.MaXT and I'm really tired reading it.

Perhaps we need a comp.sys.compare?

There is a comp.sys.misc, but that seems to be for machines that aren't
covered by a specific newsgroup.

Comparisons between machines may annoy people who are happy with
the machine that they're got and who want to swap info about their
machine, but the same comparisons can be very helpful to those of
use trying to find out which machine to buy.  (Please don't suggest
going to a dealer - all the ones I've found round here try and flog
particular machines, rather than giving impartial advice.)

OF course some of these posts are by people who want to see the
amiga continue its success, and who are worried by new machines
from other manufacturers.  But these sorts of articles could
direct followups to comp.sys.compare, so that interested people
could follow the debate while others ignore it.

Dave.

--
 Dave Berry, LFCS, Edinburgh Uni.      db%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

 "Dumping 33546240 bytes to dev 0x70e0100, offset 124968.
 Don't cycle power ..."

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (10/20/90)

     I would like to also express my DISPLEASURE at having to delete TONS
(600+) of messages about the new Next and Mac machines.  I would MUCH
RATHER spend my time reading about product reviews/commentary or this
intersting rumor about Commodore buying Suns 68xxx line of processors.
As I have told Mark Barrett many times (yes, I know him personally): WE
ALREADY OWN AMIGAS, NO AMOUNT OF COMPLAINING ABOUT THE NEW MACS OR NEXTS
WILL CHANGE THAT UNLESS YOU BUY ONE OF THEM!!!  Geez!!!  Commodore is a big
company and they will be around for a long time, chill out!  Be a solution
to the problem rather than part of it!!  BUY YOUR SOFTWARE!!  Write to
magazine editors!
     Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest.  Take heart, we have a
REAL multitasking operating system and the A3000 will outperform practically
every Mac except the MacIIfx.  Software has been a little slow in coming
around but it is definitely getting better.  I own the new version of
MSS Excellence and it produces beautifull output on a Postscript printer.
I hear Amiga TeX is awesome, and didn't Commodore *finally* get Microsoft
to port their big and slow applications to the Amiga?  Commodore is working
on networking and retargetable graphics, AmigaVision is great, and the Unix
Amiga seems to be nearing reality, SO WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???

                                      --George

Listen close to what men say, take what you want, and throw the rest away.
                                         Adam Ant

Be part of the solution, not the problem.
                                         Me

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (10/21/90)

In a previous article, skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) says:

>and didn't Commodore *finally* get Microsoft
>to port their big and slow applications to the Amiga?  Commodore is working

Did I miss something? Does anyone else know anything about this? What
applications did they port?

--
                                           ///
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |       ///  /\

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct20.070947.14904@news.iastate.edu> skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:

>     I would like to also express my DISPLEASURE at having to delete TONS
>(600+) of messages about the new Next and Mac machines.  I would MUCH
                                [...]

Hear-hear!
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (10/24/90)

In article <ROBIN.90Oct17091447@hulk.hut.fi> robin@niksula.hut.fi (Jarto 'Robin' Tarpio) writes:

>When do we get back our comp.sys.amiga ? The whole group has changed
>to comp.sys.MaXT and I'm really tired reading it.

Actually, I appreciate a few comparative comments from Macsters
and NeXTrons.  Not so much flame wars  (we should have
comp.sys.battleground)  but well-considered and well-informed
comments.  They cross-fertilize the groups, keep us honest, and
give developers and CBM some good ideas  (right???).

NeXTDimension's video in a window, framegrabbable.  Nice.  Any
great IFF display program developers out there want to write one
to display pictures in a window rather than a screen?  Could be
useful, or at least kind of cute...

Though frankly, for real video work, I'd rather have a machine
devoting its full resources like the Toaster demands.
NeXTDimension's window is elegant, but one can do the same for
less than 1/3 the price on an A3000, or < 1/4 the price on a
2000.   Let's use the best ideas to improve ourselves.  AFter
all, that's presumably the reason the MaXTors are poking around
here...   ;^}

Keep them useful, keep them nice, and keep them.

Thom!