[comp.sys.amiga] Some MAC and Amiga Comparisons.

WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (10/16/90)

    I would like to make some price comparisons between various Amiga
systems and two of the new MAC systems just unveiled today.

    The new MAC LC (actually, it should be called the MAC IILC, because
the only difference between this system and the original MAC II is
the lack of a FPU) gives you a 68020 running at 20Mhz, 2M of RAM, a 40MB
hard drive, color video, and keyboard for $2500 list.  I will build
a similar Amiga system using an Amiga 500 as the base.  Add $300 for
the monitor, which is included in the Amiga system I will compare it
against.  To be fair, I will use list prices.

   You will first need an A500 P/2 system.  This costs $1397 list.
Next, you will need a hard drive, add $629 for the A590.  You still
don't get 32-bit memory or an '020, so add $750 for for a Hurricane
500 with 1M of 32-bit RAM.  The MAC LC also comes with a mono sound
digitizer, so add $75 for the FutureSound.  You get $2851, which is
more expensive than the MAC LC system above, and you only get half
the hard drive space, no high-resolution non-interlaced graphics
with lots of colors, and no 1.44MB floppy drive.  And, until
Commodore makes up their mind about whether or not they are going
to include AmigaOS2.0 with any of the A500 systems, you get an OS
that is not nearly as friendly as the MAC OS.

   Now let's compare the MAC IISI system to a similar Amiga system.
For $3800, the MAC IISI  offers standard MAC II color graphics,
an '030 running at 20Mhz, 40MB hard drive, 1.44MB SuperDrive, and
crude mono sound digitizer.

   The closest Amiga system is the A3000/25-50.  For $4100 you get
an '030 running at 25Mhz, FPU running at same speed, 50MB hard drive,
and inferior color graphics.  You get more hard drive space, faster
CPU, and FPU.  But you don't get 256 colors out of 16 Million
at 640x480 resolution, nor do you get a 1.44MB floppy or a crude
mono sound digitizer (though why you would want that particular
item is beyond me -- IMHO, Apple goofed on that one).  Though the
systems are just about even, the point is that you can now get a
MAC system with better graphics for LESS.

   When the A1000 was first introduced, there was a gap of thousands
of dollors between it and the nearest-capable competitor.  When VGA
systems were developed, the gap narrowed considerably, but you could
always count on Apple pushing systems that were thousands of dollars
more than similarly capable Amigas.  With the new MAC systems, the
situation has changed.  Commodore has allowed the Amiga to stagnate,
to the point that it is now possible to purchase color MAC systems
that are hundreds of dollars LESS than similarly equipped Amigas.
Where has the Amiga's competitve color graphics gone?  Down the sewer,
I guess.

                                   -MB-

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (10/16/90)

Argg. This is going in my kill file now. Using An A500 as a base
to build up a 68020 system and then compariung against an integrated
machine like the Mac IILC? Apples and oranges.

Trying starting with an A2000, adding a 68020 w/2megs of ram, 2091
controller and 40mb. You have a cheap machine (cheaper then $3000)
and the only factor that is weaker is the color.

For the Mac IIsi, just compare against an Amiga3000. The A3000
is faster is all repects. The OS is much better. And the A3000-25/50
doesn't cost $4100, thats the A3000-25/100 (atleast from the prices
I've read) and Im talking street prices. the IIsi costs $3600
street. (from an Apple estimate)

Again we are left with color as the only weakness. 256 colors
out of 16mill is about the same as VGA. On the IBM it comes
much cheaper, so why not just by an IBM?

HAM-E or DCTV easily fills in this gap. (yea I know they arent true
24bit) but we are talking Multimedia which only need be NTSC, which
DCTV does nicely (especially for REAL time animation.)

This Mac systems are not at all impressive. In fact, they still seem
alittle overpriced. (Mac classic $999?) Apple has been over pricing
for years, its about time they reduced prices and cut that large profit
margin of theirs.

Marc if really need 256 colors displayable at once so bad, why don't
you buy an IBM w/VGA or just buy those Macs.

Even with lower priced Mac's, Mac software is expensive. So unless your
a pirate, buying a cheaper system wont help you much.

--
"NeXTs are useless... Mac's are irrelevent.. IBM's are futile. Amiga's,however,
are quite nice!" -Capt Jeal-Luc Amiga      |     Flames to /dev/null

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (10/16/90)

I wanted to point out something in Marc's article...

WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>    The new MAC LC (actually, it should be called the MAC IILC, because
>the only difference between this system and the original MAC II is
>the lack of a FPU) gives you a 68020 running at 20Mhz, 2M of RAM, a 40MB
     ^^^^ ^^ ^ ^^^
I just discovered the origin of "LC."  It means "Lacks Chip." :-)

>hard drive, color video, and keyboard for $2500 list.  I will build
>a similar Amiga system using an Amiga 500 as the base.  Add $300 for
>the monitor, which is included in the Amiga system I will compare it
>against.  To be fair, I will use list prices.

Marc, you've once again goofed.  You always assume that an Apple "system"
price and an Amiga "system" price are comparable because they include
everything you'd need.  You can have your Mac LC; I don't want it.  Know
why?  You didn't add a monitor (quite expensive -- Apple specific) into
the price.  You're going to have a hard time using that system.

You say that the 3000 and the Mac IIsi are comparable.  This is utter crap.
First of all, you've got a difference of 5Mhz in speed.  I guarantee that
you'll notice the lag.  Secondly, you've got ONE processor in the Mac
trying to run the cutesy OS and not doing a nice job of it (I've even
sat down at a IIci, which is faster, and gotten impatient with the OS.
The thing's SLOW!).  In addition, you have a single-tasking OS equipped
with a kluged task-swapper.  In order to get real multitasking out of a
Mac, you'd have to rewrite the entire OS and all of the software.  Too
many Mac programs use busy-waits to accept things like mouse button presses
and keyboard input.  This is the BANE of multitasking.  The Amiga OS has
been designed to take care of these things for you...

RE:  Amiga's "inferior" graphics.  You've _got_ to be kidding me.  Have you
used a 24-bit board on a Mac?  If you though that things were slow before...
If you want "superior" graphics at the cost of _that_ kind of speed loss,
you can have them.  Me, I'll take a Toaster or a ULowell board, thank you.
You see, THEY don't eat up so much CPU.  The Firecracker 24 even runs UNDER
the Amiga, so you don't use time on the CPU unless you actually need 24 bits.

Also, RE: your comment that Commodore is allowing Amiga to stagnate, what
the _hell_ do you mean?  Apple's new machines (the Classic, the LC and the
SI) are nothing new or revolutionary.  There's nothing special.  No new
developments in hardware...  They're just more Macs.

If you're gonna compare an Apple to an Amiga, you'd better find a comparable
Apple first...

>                                   -MB-

Greg

---------------Greg-Harp---------------greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu----------------
AMIGA! //
      // Don't you just hate those long signature files?  I mean, there oughta
    \X/  be a law.  If I were in control, .sigs would get cut off if they were

jnmoyne@lbl.gov (Jean-Noel MOYNE) (10/17/90)

    An other point you missed is: memory ! Amigas need memory .. but Macs
need much more memory. On a IIsi you need a least 4 megabytes of memory to
do domething, and you're allways running out of memory. Again if you want
multitasking, Apple says: for system 7.0 you'll need at least 4 Mb to run
the system, and more likely 8 Mb to work well.

    On the Amiga, the 3000 comes with 2 Mb (yes, I hope I don't say
somerhing wrong), and you can do a lot of things with 2 Mb on a Amiga,
you'll be more likely to upgrade it to 4 Mb if you want to work seriously,
but that's it ! even with the multitasking you really won't need more
unless you do specific applications (like intesive graphics & so, but
you'll need memory as well for the Mac). And here goes the price of the
memory for the 2 machines.

    I agree however that Apple made a big step by reducing it's
traditionally too high prices. I agree too that the Amiga really lacks a
high resolution 8 bitplanes card  _from COMMODORE_
but at the same price, for multimedia, the Amiga is still ahead the mac.
Too bad not so many people know it ...

      JNM

--
These are my own ideas (not LBL's)
" Just make it!", BO in 'BO knows Unix'

tj@pons.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R Johnson) (10/17/90)

>>Even with lower priced Mac's, Mac software is expensive. So unless your
>>a pirate, buying a cheaper system wont help you much.

	Microsoft Word is much better than any Amiga WYSIWIG word
processor.  With the educational discount I paid $69.  For $75 I
bought a program that manages references and automatically formats and
inserts them into the Word docuement by scanning the document.
With the educational discount MacDraw II costs $45, Canvas $160, Adobe
Illustrator $265.  Various spreadsheets like Excel, and Wingz are
priced at around a $100.  My point is that as a student I can get much
better software for the Mac at much lower prices than inferior Amiga
software.

	When you compare power you need to look at software.  The
fastest machine in the world is useless without the right software for
the job.  My Amiga is excellent for TeX, games, and animation.  My Mac
is good at doing the things that I need to do almost every day.  Sure,
the Mac is terrible at multi-tasking, and the hardware is boring, but
it does the jobs that I need to do.  That's the bottom line.

	Finally, the Mac is easier to use.  For non-techie students,
this is a big plus.

	---Todd

--
Todd R. Johnson
tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

hamish@waikato.ac.nz (10/17/90)

In article <33538@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>     I would like to make some price comparisons between various Amiga
> systems and two of the new MAC systems just unveiled today.
>
>     The new MAC LC (actually, it should be called the MAC IILC, because
> the only difference between this system and the original MAC II is

 Nope. It's just a faster MAc plus or SE. Not a II at all. It's also still
vapourware, and will be until January 1991. Compare the prices for this then
and not now.

> the lack of a FPU) gives you a 68020 running at 20Mhz, 2M of RAM, a 40MB
                                                  ^^^^^
                                                  16Mhz

> hard drive, color video, and keyboard for $2500 list.  I will build
                               ^^^^^^^^
                               Don't think so. The pamphlet isn't clear. It
definately doesn't say included as does the mouse.

> a similar Amiga system using an Amiga 500 as the base.  Add $300 for
> the monitor, which is included in the Amiga system I will compare it
> against.  To be fair, I will use list prices.
>
>    Now let's compare the MAC IISI system to a similar Amiga system.
> For $3800, the MAC IISI  offers standard MAC II color graphics,
> an '030 running at 20Mhz, 40MB hard drive, 1.44MB SuperDrive, and
> crude mono sound digitizer.

 + 68882!

Also the classic is still limited to 4Mb memory, the LC to 10 Meg and the IIsi
is limited to 17Meg.

Even the high end IIfx is limited to only 32 Megabytes of memory.

>                                    -MB-
|  Hamish Marson                        |  Internet  hamish@waikato.ac.nz    |
|  Computer Support Person              |  Phone  (071)562889 xt 8181        |
|  Computer Science Department          |  Amiga 3000 for ME!                |
|  University of Waikato                |                                    |
|Disclaimer:  Anything said in this message is the personal opinion of the   |
|             finger hitting the keyboard & doesn't represent my employers   |
|             opinion in any way. (ie we probably don't agree)               |

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/17/90)

In article <33538@nigel.ee.udel.edu> WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>    The new MAC LC (actually, it should be called the MAC IILC, because

   Eh?  It _is_ called the "Mac IILC", at least in the blurbs I've read.

>Where has the Amiga's competitve color graphics gone?  Down the sewer,
>I guess.

   Out of curiosity, what Amiga hard/software feature will you choose to
harp upon when Commodore does supply some reasonable upgrade to graphics
quality?
--
"I feel lightheaded, Sam.  I think my      | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 brain is out of air.  But it's kind of    | The Apollo Systems Division of

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (10/18/90)

In article <84888@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
|Even with lower priced Mac's, Mac software is expensive. So unless your
|a pirate, buying a cheaper system wont help you much.
|
|	Microsoft Word is much better than any Amiga WYSIWIG word
|processor.  With the educational discount I paid $69.  For $75 I
|bought a program that manages references and automatically formats and
|inserts them into the Word docuement by scanning the document.
|With the educational discount MacDraw II costs $45, Canvas $160, Adobe
|Illustrator $265.  Various spreadsheets like Excel, and Wingz are
|priced at around a $100.  My point is that as a student I can get much
|better software for the Mac at much lower prices than inferior Amiga
|software.

 I've never seen MacDraw, but I wonder how it compares to stuff like
Deluxe Paint. I also wonder if Mac has software that is comparable to
the Amiga's turbosilver,Disney Animator, JourneyMan,LightWave 3d,
Scult, The Art Department.
 For Word processing I use DME (yep) If I want to do fancy formatting
I'll use TeX. Sadly enough, I don't use a Word Processor everyday,
and I don't think many people do unless they are Journalists,etc.
I use Emacs(Unix) everyday, and DME(Amiga). And if they are WYSIWYG,
I don't know what is.

|	When you compare power you need to look at software.  The
|fastest machine in the world is useless without the right software for
|the job.  My Amiga is excellent for TeX, games, and animation.  My Mac
|is good at doing the things that I need to do almost every day.  Sure,
|the Mac is terrible at multi-tasking, and the hardware is boring, but
|it does the jobs that I need to do.  That's the bottom line.

  For programmers I think the Amiga is much better. (especially if
you learn on Unix.) The Amiga's environment is very Unix-like,
and the Mac's OS would be very boring.

|	Finally, the Mac is easier to use.  For non-techie students,
|this is a big plus.

  Yep. But a $500 PC system is also easy to use for Word processing,
and its much cheaper.  I don't think C= needs to worry about Apple.
I think Apple needs to worry about the NeXT. We have our niche
(multimedia), whereas the NeXT is a direct attack on DeskTop Publish
ing(Mac). What happens is remain to be seen.

|	---Todd

|--

--

mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) (10/18/90)

In article <11419@life.ai.mit.edu> Ray Cromwell <rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu> writes:
>In article <84888@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>|Even with lower priced Mac's, Mac software is expensive. So unless your
>|a pirate, buying a cheaper system wont help you much.
>|... Microsoft Word... MacDraw II...Canvas... Adobe Illustrator...
>|... Excel... Wingz...[stuff deleted here, including quoted prices]
>|... My point is that as a student I can get much
>|better software for the Mac at much lower prices than inferior Amiga
>|software.
>
> I've never seen MacDraw, but I wonder how it compares to stuff like
>Deluxe Paint. I also wonder if Mac has software that is comparable to
>the Amiga's turbosilver,Disney Animator, JourneyMan,LightWave 3d,
>Scult, The Art Department.

AAAAAACKK!!  That's not what MacDraw does!  Please don't advertise
your ignorance to the whole net!  (pause while I regain control)
Sorry, I didn't mean to have my flame-throw on high like that!

MacDraw is an object oriented drawing program.  You draw using primitives
such as lines, boxes, circles, arcs, smoothed polygons, etc.  Not PIXELS!
When you print a MacDraw document, it prints the primitives in the highest
resolution the printer can handle.  So even though the circle appears in
72 dpi on the screen, it prints at 300 dpi on the printer, and looks
perfectly round.

It's basically a CAD program, though most of the users aren't engineers.
They're people who want to put nice figures into reports and presentations.
You see, one of the Mac's prime advantages over Amiga and PCs is that
I can take these object-oriented figures and paste them directly into my
word-processor document.  I don't think Amiga IFF includes this format
(I don't know, does it?).

As the original poster stated, the Mac's primary advantage over the
Amiga is software.  Not just applications, but its operating system
as well.  They put in a lot of effort to achieve the goal of user
friendliness, and did pretty well.  The Amiga's operating system is
a very good technical achievement (whereas the Macs is nothing
special - no multitasking, etc.), but as far as "Joe User" is concerned,
he could really care less HOW it works.

Gee, I could start making a list of things where the Mac has advantages
over the Amiga (standard file requestors; icons that don't take forever
to appear and stay where they're put without specifically being told;
oops!  I'm starting!), but that would make me just like Marc Barrett!

> For Word processing I use DME (yep) If I want to do fancy formatting
>I'll use TeX. Sadly enough, I don't use a Word Processor everyday,
>and I don't think many people do unless they are Journalists,etc.
>I use Emacs(Unix) everyday, and DME(Amiga). And if they are WYSIWYG,
>I don't know what is.

Did you mean "if they aren't WYSIWIG"?  They certainly aren't.  And
if you think the average user would prefer using TeX over something
like MacWrite I'd have to laugh my head off!  TeX certainly offers
a lot of power, but you have to learn a whole new language before you
can begin to use it!  Indeed one needs to learn to use MacWrite as
well, but the difference in learning curves is like day and night.

As for Emacs, I use it everday also.  In fact, I'm using it right
now.  I like Emacs, but it's NOT a word processor.  It's a text
editor.  There IS a difference.  Will Emacs do subscripts, different
point type size, variable line spacing, etc. and show you interactively
on screen what the printed page will look like?  Can you paste figures
into Emacs?  (all this applies to DME as well.)

>|	When you compare power you need to look at software.  The
>|fastest machine in the world is useless without the right software for
>|the job.  My Amiga is excellent for TeX, games, and animation.  My Mac
>|is good at doing the things that I need to do almost every day.  Sure,
>|the Mac is terrible at multi-tasking, and the hardware is boring, but
>|it does the jobs that I need to do.  That's the bottom line.

It does what the 'average user' expects, and does it pretty well.
Remember, it's the computer made for idiots.  And there are hordes
of idiots, uhh, I mean 'average people' out there buying computers.
(I guess I sound a bit elitist here.  Sorry about that!)

>  For programmers I think the Amiga is much better. (especially if
>you learn on Unix.) The Amiga's environment is very Unix-like,
>and the Mac's OS would be very boring.

I agree.  But you won't make a lot of money if you only sell
computers to programmers (at least, not easily).

>|	Finally, the Mac is easier to use.  For non-techie students,
>|this is a big plus.
>
>  Yep. But a $500 PC system is also easy to use for Word processing,
>and its much cheaper.  I don't think C= needs to worry about Apple.
>I think Apple needs to worry about the NeXT. We have our niche
>(multimedia), whereas the NeXT is a direct attack on DeskTop Publish
>ing(Mac). What happens is remain to be seen.

Who Commodore needs to worry about depends upon whom they're trying to
sell computer to.  Commodore's market overlaps with the PC's, Mac's,
and Next's.  I get really quite ill whenever I see people who state
that better than NTSC video is unnecessary for the Amiga since the
video people don't need it.  Fact is, not only video people use the
Amiga.  Programmers do to, and we who are used to workstation displays
with megapixels and 8 bits/pixel feel really cramped when working with
a 80x24 display.  Do you have any idea how small a 320x200 image looks
when viewed on a display that's 1024x800 or larger?

Gad!  I seem to have 'gone off the handle' again.  Let me come back down
to earth and make a few things clear so I won't get flamed too badly.

First of all, I like the Amiga very much.  I have an A500 and I plan
to get a 3000 when I can afford it.  I like the principles embodied
in the computer and I generally like Commodore and its pricing policies.
On the other hand, I despise Apple for gouging its buyers ever since
they came out with the Apple II back in 1978(?).  I want Commodore to
do really well, so that a lot of us can afford well-thought-out
computers.  I want Apple to do okay so that there is competition in
the market, especially against IBM and the clone horde.

What _I_ feel is Commodores most pressing need is some operating
system standards for 1) add-on hardware such as video boards 2) object
oriented data formats (like PICT for the Mac) (if this doesn't exist
already) 3) hmmm... let's see, printers and I/O devices are already
handled fairly well; I can't really think of anything else right now.

Heck, I just remembered another peeve.  Why oh WHY? on the 3000 was
there not enough memory put into the deinterlacer to support the
Super-Hires mode?  It's SO BOGUS!  You have all these video modes
which you can display on a 30 khz monitor EXCEPT for Super-Hires!
You need a multi-sync just for this one mode.  What's so bad about
that, you may ask, given that multisyncs don't cost so much now?
What's so bad is that when future video modes appear that require
a 60 khz monitor (the ULowell board?) you won't be able to find
a monitor that can sync from 15-60 khz to display every mode!
There might be some monitors like that, but I've not seen any.
Most multisyncs go from 15-35 khz _OR_ 30-60 khz.  Could somebody
prove me wrong and point out an affordable monitor that is an
exception to this rule?

Wow, I didn't expect to write so much!  But I guess I just had to
let the steam off sometime....

-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

rjc@wookumz.ai.mit.edu (Ray Cromwell) (10/19/90)

| I've never seen MacDraw, but I wonder how it compares to stuff like
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|Deluxe Paint. I also wonder if Mac has software that is comparable to
|the Amiga's turbosilver,Disney Animator, JourneyMan,LightWave 3d,
|Scult, The Art Department.
|
|AAAAAACKK!!  That's not what MacDraw does!  Please don't advertise
|your ignorance to the whole net!  (pause while I regain control)
|Sorry, I didn't mean to have my flame-throw on high like that!

  I have no problem admitting ignorance,  since thats the only way it can
be cured, but since I don't own a Mac, or Mac software, how am I supposed
to know what it is.

|MacDraw is an object oriented drawing program.  You draw using primitives
|such as lines, boxes, circles, arcs, smoothed polygons, etc.  Not PIXELS!
|When you print a MacDraw document, it prints the primitives in the highest
|resolution the printer can handle.  So even though the circle appears in
|72 dpi on the screen, it prints at 300 dpi on the printer, and looks
|perfectly round.

  Big deal. GEOS on my C64 used to do this. I do beleive AmigaVision
has an object oriented editor in it.
|It's basically a CAD program, though most of the users aren't engineers.
|They're people who want to put nice figures into reports and presentations.
|You see, one of the Mac's prime advantages over Amiga and PCs is that
|I can take these object-oriented figures and paste them directly into my
|word-processor document.  I don't think Amiga IFF includes this format
|(I don't know, does it?).

 Well, on the Amiga you can solid-model render an object, and save it
as IFF ILBM then include it into word processors that support brushes.
In fact, I remember a local guy who took 24bit pictures, processed them
throught the art Department and used them in Professional Page.
And there is an IFF vector/object format,althought I don't know if
its official, there was a file describing its format on Bix.

|As the original poster stated, the Mac's primary advantage over the
|Amiga is software.  Not just applications, but its operating system
|as well.  They put in a lot of effort to achieve the goal of user
|friendliness, and did pretty well.  The Amiga's operating system is
|a very good technical achievement (whereas the Macs is nothing
|special - no multitasking, etc.), but as far as "Joe User" is concerned,
|he could really care less HOW it works.
|
|Gee, I could start making a list of things where the Mac has advantages
|over the Amiga (standard file requestors; icons that don't take forever
|to appear and stay where they're put without specifically being told;
|oops!  I'm starting!), but that would make me just like Marc Barrett!

  Have you seen 2.0? There is a standard file requester. And on 1.3,
a large majority of people used the Arp requester. And by your
experience, I can tell you don't own a harddrive. On an A3000/2000
with a harddrive icons pop up rather quickly. I still am waiting for
you to point out something the MacOS has better than the Amiga besides
cosmetics! (by the way, The Mac doesn't have pull down screens, or
virtual sprites, or dual playfields, or page-flipping, or a shell(builtin)
or Arexx(heh), or copper lists! :-))

| For Word processing I use DME (yep) If I want to do fancy formatting
|I'll use TeX. Sadly enough, I don't use a Word Processor everyday,
|and I don't think many people do unless they are Journalists,etc.
|I use Emacs(Unix) everyday, and DME(Amiga). And if they are WYSIWYG,
|I don't know what is.
|
|Did you mean "if they aren't WYSIWIG"?  They certainly aren't.  And
|if you think the average user would prefer using TeX over something
|like MacWrite I'd have to laugh my head off!  TeX certainly offers
|a lot of power, but you have to learn a whole new language before you
|can begin to use it!  Indeed one needs to learn to use MacWrite as
|well, but the difference in learning curves is like day and night.
|
|As for Emacs, I use it everday also.  In fact, I'm using it right
|now.  I like Emacs, but it's NOT a word processor.  It's a text
|editor.  There IS a difference.  Will Emacs do subscripts, different
|point type size, variable line spacing, etc. and show you interactively
|on screen what the printed page will look like?  Can you paste figures
|into Emacs?  (all this applies to DME as well.)

Emacs and DME are WYSIWYG. I wasn't talking about TeX. (TeX is
what you think you'll get will be nicely formatted) And pasting
graphics is not what defines a wordprocessor. a Text editor is
a subgroup in the family of word processors. (It processes words)
and primitive word processors years ago like on CPM etc looked like the
Text editors of today. All those features that you listed for
word processors are definitions of what todays advanced WYSIWIG
WP's have in them. Are you trying to tell me that a WOrd Processor
that is not WYSIWYG is not a Word Processor?

||	When you compare power you need to look at software.  The
||fastest machine in the world is useless without the right software for
||the job.  My Amiga is excellent for TeX, games, and animation.  My Mac
||is good at doing the things that I need to do almost every day.  Sure,
||the Mac is terrible at multi-tasking, and the hardware is boring, but
||it does the jobs that I need to do.  That's the bottom line.

   The above inclusion is not mine. It was from someone else who I included.

|It does what the 'average user' expects, and does it pretty well.
|Remember, it's the computer made for idiots.  And there are hordes
|of idiots, uhh, I mean 'average people' out there buying computers.
|(I guess I sound a bit elitist here.  Sorry about that!)

  Good. Don't turn my amiga into no damn idiot computer! The Amiga
always has been 'the computer for the creative mind.' 5 years ago
when the A1000 was lightyears above any other computer. (4096 colors
vs 16 colors, Multitasking,etc) none of the idiots wanted it. Only
the power users knew where the real power was and they bought A1000s.
Now after 5 years the market is FINALLY catching up and in some aspects passing us (color).

||	Finally, the Mac is easier to use.  For non-techie students,
||this is a big plus.
|
|  Yep. But a $500 PC system is also easy to use for Word processing,
|and its much cheaper.  I don't think C= needs to worry about Apple.
|I think Apple needs to worry about the NeXT. We have our niche
|(multimedia), whereas the NeXT is a direct attack on DeskTop Publish
|ing(Mac). What happens is remain to be seen.
|
|Who Commodore needs to worry about depends upon whom they're trying to
|sell computer to.  Commodore's market overlaps with the PC's, Mac's,
|and Next's.  I get really quite ill whenever I see people who state
|that better than NTSC video is unnecessary for the Amiga since the
|video people don't need it.  Fact is, not only video people use the
|Amiga.  Programmers do to, and we who are used to workstation displays
|with megapixels and 8 bits/pixel feel really cramped when working with
|a 80x24 display.  Do you have any idea how small a 320x200 image looks
|when viewed on a display that's 1024x800 or larger?

 And with those mega-pixel workstation displays comes incredibly slow
interface updating time. Intuition is much faster than most workstation
displays i've seen. Unless a huge portion of the workstation CPU time is
devoted to the interface (e.g. NeXT)

|Gad!  I seem to have 'gone off the handle' again.  Let me come back down
|to earth and make a few things clear so I won't get flamed too badly.
|
|First of all, I like the Amiga very much.  I have an A500 and I plan
|to get a 3000 when I can afford it.  I like the principles embodied
|in the computer and I generally like Commodore and its pricing policies.
|On the other hand, I despise Apple for gouging its buyers ever since
|they came out with the Apple II back in 1978(?).  I want Commodore to
|do really well, so that a lot of us can afford well-thought-out
|computers.  I want Apple to do okay so that there is competition in
|the market, especially against IBM and the clone horde.
|
|What _I_ feel is Commodores most pressing need is some operating
|system standards for 1) add-on hardware such as video boards 2) object
|oriented data formats (like PICT for the Mac) (if this doesn't exist
|already) 3) hmmm... let's see, printers and I/O devices are already
|handled fairly well; I can't really think of anything else right now.

PLEADING REQUEST: Could people PLEASE stop saying 'I want some add on video
boards.' If you haven't heard the rumors or seen the products of all
the video boards being developed then I suggest you do. (e.g.HAM-E, DCTV,
Ulowell, G300, M.A.S.T.'s, Toaster, Firecracker,etc)

|Heck, I just remembered another peeve.  Why oh WHY? on the 3000 was
|there not enough memory put into the deinterlacer to support the
|Super-Hires mode?  It's SO BOGUS!  You have all these video modes
|which you can display on a 30 khz monitor EXCEPT for Super-Hires!
|You need a multi-sync just for this one mode.  What's so bad about
|that, you may ask, given that multisyncs don't cost so much now?
|What's so bad is that when future video modes appear that require
|a 60 khz monitor (the ULowell board?) you won't be able to find
|a monitor that can sync from 15-60 khz to display every mode!
|There might be some monitors like that, but I've not seen any.
|Most multisyncs go from 15-35 khz _OR_ 30-60 khz.  Could somebody
|prove me wrong and point out an affordable monitor that is an
|exception to this rule?

  Its because Super-Hires is a part of the ECS Denise which outputs
pixels twice as fast. To make the deinterlacer work with the Productivety
modes the deinterlacer would have to oversample (2x) and use faster
ram. The end affect is the deinterlacer sees every other pixel.
I think Commodore decided on a cheaper A3000 so they didn't make
the Display Enhancer oversample. (I could be wrong about all this)

--

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (10/19/90)

In article <1999.271c7c3e@waikato.ac.nz>, hamish@waikato.ac.nz writes:
> Even the high end IIfx is limited to only 32 Megabytes of memory.

With 4MB SIMMs.  I believe the IIfx can have 128MB of memory (on the
motherboard) with 16MB SIMMs (when available).

Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
dittman@skitzo.csc.ti.com
dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

In article <33538@nigel.ee.udel.edu> WHE46@ccvax.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>     I would like to make some price comparisons between various Amiga
> systems and two of the new MAC systems just unveiled today.

Since Apple still doesn't ship a machine with the same capability as a stock
Amiga 1000 with a reasonable 2 Meg expansion memory, why bother? All the
horsepower in the world won't make up for crummy system software.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

Michael.Witbrock@CS.CMU.EDU (10/20/90)

(this is a followup to an article about object oriented drawing vs
bitmapped drawing etc)
If people are looking for a draw program, I can heartily recomment
professional draw v2.0
In my opinion, it is considerably better than macdraw2.0 (I've used both
extensively), it's more powerful, it's faster, and its user interface is
more intuitive. [but its EPSF files are too complicated for the
laserwriter I try to print them on].

It's about as good as Adobe Illustrator.

It is also my opinion that GoldDisk should register a structured drawing
IFF as soon as possible
(even PICT would be ok (athough it's a really REALLY weak format (no
splines except in comments [read program specific kludges]).

michael (who wants to run 2.0 on his 2000 soon, please).

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (10/20/90)

In article <16885@thorin.cs.unc.edu> mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:
>Gee, I could start making a list of things where the Mac has advantages
>over the Amiga (standard file requestors; icons that don't take forever
>to appear and stay where they're put without specifically being told;
>oops!  I'm starting!), but that would make me just like Marc Barrett!
	1) AmigaDOS 2.0 HAS standard file requesters (that look and work better
		than Mac file requesters), along with font requesters and
		standard gadget libraries that make it easy to use and enhance
		all of the above in a standardized manor. Please don't compare
		outdated operating systems like AmigaDOS 1.x to other products.
		That would be like comparing Unix to CP/M. AmigaDOS 1.x is
		no longer supported, and even though (most) people are still
		using it, It is certain that future machines will come with
		2.0.

	2) I (and many other people) do not consider icons staying where you
		drop them without telling them to to be a feature. I frequently
		drag an icon out of the way of something else, and would not
		like to have that position remembered unless I tell it to.
		AmigaDOS 2.0 even has a "snapshot all" option that will
		remember the location of all the icons in a window and the
		window itself.

	3) My icons never took a long time to load, as I never had more than
		a few files in any directory that wan't intended for workbench
		use. If you tried to keep 300 files in one directory on a
		Mac I think you would find the directory quite slow.

I could come up with many problems that the Mac has, like: Files that get
stuck in your system file, and require an editor to expunge and gobble up
memory whether you use them or not (like fonts), like the number of fonts
limitation, like needing to edit your system file to add more fonts
(oops, got to stop MultiFinder to change that file again). Like no real
multitasking, like...

			Dave
>Remember, it's the computer made for idiots.  And there are hordes
                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of idiots, uhh, I mean 'average people' out there buying computers.
>(I guess I sound a bit elitist here.  Sorry about that!)
	(I just liked that line :-)

In article <16885@thorin.cs.unc.edu> mueller@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Carl Mueller) writes:

>Heck, I just remembered another peeve.  Why oh WHY? on the 3000 was
>there not enough memory put into the deinterlacer to support the
>Super-Hires mode?

There are a few issues associated with that device.  First off, the memory
consideration isn't trivial; if you have to support a field that's twice the
size of the currently supported fields, that would double an already pricey
device.  Secondly is the more technical problem of dealing with the "super
hires" display.  All of the modes that the Amber chips de-interlaces are 70ns
pixel modes -- it bypasses all of the 35ns pixel modes, which include the
1200 x 200/400 and the 640 x 400/480/512/960/whatever "productivity" modes.
Such a conversion would be much more difficult if it was required to sample
these 35ns pixels as well as the 70ns pixels.  I don't know all the technical
issues involved, but that could significantly increase the cost of the device.

>You need a multi-sync just for this one mode.

You really need a multi-sync for that mode anyway, a true VGA monitor may not
deal at all well with 1200 pixels in a 1200x400 noninterlaced display, since
in order to de-interlace something, you have double the horizontal rate.  So
if an interlaced 1200x400 display at 60Hz vertical referesh uses 35ns pixels,
a de-interlaced 1200x400 display would generate 17.5ns pixels.  I really don't
know what a typical VGA-only monitor would do with that.  And VGA monitors
don't necessarily support interlace, which would also rule out using the 640
x 960 interlaced display mode.

>-Carl (mueller@cs.unc.edu)

	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/23/90)

Whether the Mac ][ can access 32Mb or 128Mb of RAM is imaterial until Sys7
comes out for them...'till then anything above 8Mb doesn't do'em too much good
(unless they're using A/UX).

BTW, anyone know if the ZIP sockets on the A3000 motherboard'll accept higher
density chips?

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

In article <5203@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>BTW, anyone know if the ZIP sockets on the A3000 motherboard'll accept higher
>density chips?

No, the limit on that pinout is the 4MB device, which gives the total of
16MB Fast RAM on the motherboard.  There is OS support for expansion memory
in the Coprocessor slot and expansion bus.  A good Zorro III memory will
probably run better than 80% the speed of on-board memory.  And there's
enough address space reserved for most needs: 1.75GigaBytes.

>Sean
	Standing on the shoulders of giants leaves me cold	-REM

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/25/90)

What high density?  The highest packed chips you'll commonly find is
1x4 megabit.

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu