[comp.sys.amiga] Graphics tablets?

jacc@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Jonathan A. Colby) (07/03/87)

I am considering the puchase of a graphics tablet for my A1000.
Does anyone have experience with the several that are advertised
(Kurta, Anakin, etc.)?  Please mail responses to me and I will
post a summary.

Jac Colby	                    jacc@tekigm2.TEK.COM
Tektronix Inc                   (They disclaim me around here, too)
Personal Engineering Products
MS 02-386, PO Box 500           Home:  5529 SW Patton Rd
Beaverton, OR, 97077                   Portland, OR 97221
(503) 627-4534                         (503) 292-1609

keithd@cadovax.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <1902@tekigm2.TEK.COM> jacc@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Jonathan A. Colby) writes:
>I am considering the puchase of a graphics tablet for my A1000.
>Does anyone have experience with the several that are advertised
>(Kurta, Anakin, etc.)?  Please mail responses to me and I will
>post a summary.

Speaking of graphics tablets...

I've had a Summagraphics BitPad for quite a few years, it has a parallel
interface, and I'm sure I could figure out how to hook it up to the Amiga
parallel port.  However, does anyone know how I would have to go about
hacking the software so that I could use it with DPaint II?  Since we
don't have a mouse.device that I could replace with a BitPad driver,
what do I do?  Hack up some hardware to convert the pad's parallel
port to mouse signals and hook it to the 9 pin (gag!)?  Get out the
debugger and trap through DPaint (also gag!)?  Pay EA $$$$$$ for
some kind of developers kit?

Any suggestions?

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,ihnp4,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd
#  cadovax!keithd@ucla-locus.arpa  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

bryce@COGSCI.BERKELEY.EDU (Bryce Nesbitt) (07/13/87)

In article <1641@cadovax.UUCP> keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) writes:

< I've had a Summagraphics BitPad for quite a few years, it has a parallel
< interface, and I'm sure I could figure out how to hook it up to the Amiga
< parallel port.
< [what do I do?]  Hack up some hardware to convert the pad's parallel
< port to mouse signals and hook it to the 9 pin (gag!)?  Get out the
< debugger and trap through DPaint (also gag!)?  Pay EA $$$$$$ for
< some kind of developers kit?   Any suggestions?

This is easy.  Assuming you magically have the input from the tablet
you simply format it like RAW mouse events, and call the input.device
IND_WRITEVENT command.  Dpaint will never know the difference.

"poof"

(See the Rom Kernal Manual's input.device chapter.  Page 3-106)

-----------------------------
|\ /|  . Ack! (NAK, EOT, SOH)
{O O} .
( " )	bryce@cogsci.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!cogsci!bryce
  U	"Success leads to stagnation; stagnation leads to failure."

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (07/13/87)

in article <1641@cadovax.UUCP>, keithd@cadovax.UUCP (Keith Doyle) says:

> In article <1902@tekigm2.TEK.COM> jacc@tekigm2.TEK.COM (Jonathan A. Colby) writes:
>>I am considering the puchase of a graphics tablet for my A1000.
>>Does anyone have experience with the several that are advertised
>>(Kurta, Anakin, etc.)?  Please mail responses to me and I will
>>post a summary.
>
> Speaking of graphics tablets...
>
> I've had a Summagraphics BitPad for quite a few years, it has a parallel
> interface, and I'm sure I could figure out how to hook it up to the Amiga
> parallel port.  However, does anyone know how I would have to go about
> hacking the software so that I could use it with DPaint II?

We've got some of these around here, though they hook in through the
serial port.  As far as I know, no one's hooked one up to an Amiga just
yet.  The approach you'd probably take is to write a task that sits in
the input stream.  As events are recognized as coming from the bitpad,
your task translates these into mouse events.  This is all happening at
a reasonably high level; it's not like you actually have to turn bitpad
signals into mouse quad signals or anything.  You're going to have to
play some trick, I think, to translate between the absolute positioning
of the bitpad and the relative positioning of the mouse.  Once this driver
is installed, though, it should work for any Intuition application.  I
think I've seen an example of something like this around, but I can't
recall what it was called.

--
Dave Haynie     Commodore-Amiga    Usenet: {ihnp4|caip|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh
"The A2000 Guy"                    PLINK : D-DAVE H             BIX   : hazy

IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) (10/22/90)

I was talking to an artist friend who is interested in the
Amiga and I need to know about some imput devices.  She
has used mice (Mac & IBM) and does not like the feel.  Could
anyone recommend a good input device that uses drivers so it
can work with existing software programs? (DP III, Disney's
Animation Studio, ect...)  What would be the best for someone
used to drawing with pen and ink?  Most work will be *exactly*
what Disney's program does, so any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>

lcline@sequent.com (Larry Cline) (10/23/90)

In article <90295.104209IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu> IMS103@psuvm.psu.edu (Ian Matthew Smith) writes:

   I was talking to an artist friend who is interested in the
   Amiga and I need to know about some imput devices.  She
   has used mice (Mac & IBM) and does not like the feel.  Could
   anyone recommend a good input device that uses drivers so it
   can work with existing software programs? (DP III, Disney's
   Animation Studio, ect...)  What would be the best for someone
   used to drawing with pen and ink?  Most work will be *exactly*
   what Disney's program does, so any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

   Ian Smith <ims103@psuvm.bitnet>

  I would strongly recommend the R&DL AProDraw tablet.  I have used them myself
and an artist friend of mine would love to get one (but she'd have to buy an
Amiga first and she doesn't have the money).  They come with a stylus and
can be used to replace the mouse.  It works with DPaint but I'm not sure how
well it works with Anim.Studio (they originally had problems with the DPaint
interface).

   One thing I did notice was that when working with the normal intuition stuff
it was very uncomfortable for me.  The idea of tapping the pen twice to open
a drawer seems foreign.  Fortunately, if you put the stylus down so that it
is not on the tablet surface, you can use the mouse normally.  If you have
the stylus down on the tablet, the mouse fights with the tablet and you get
all kinds of interesting motion.

  One drawback I noted was that it used the serial port.  Possibly with a
serial port card you can get away from tying up the port.  I don't recall how
well it shared the serial port.  It might be that you would have to kill the
driver if you wanted to use a 25pin switchbox.

  The tablets are available in different sizes up to 18" x 18" (?) and maybe
even larger now.  They are more expensive than the Easyl but I prefer them
because you can use the tablet one handed and they're available in different
sizes.

   Just my $.02 worth.

                                Larry Cline
                                lcline@sequent.sequent.com

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (10/26/90)

In article <LCLINE.90Oct23083948@crg8.sequent.com> lcline@sequent.com (Larry Cline) writes:
>even larger now.  They are more expensive than the Easyl but I prefer them
>because you can use the tablet one handed and they're available in different

The Easyl can be used one handed.  The buttons are optional.

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and