[comp.sys.amiga] AREXX REXX SAA

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (10/24/90)

I have a bingo card from some mag that touts a version of REXX
for unix machines.

I've known of REXX being around IBM mainframe circles for a long time,
and assumed it was "old hat".

Yet this company is advertising their REXX clone by calling it:

The IBM SAA Standard System Control Language

Is this true? Are we more mainstrem than we think? Any other relevent comments?

Thanbks, Clyde

giguere@csg.uwaterloo.ca (Eric Giguere) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.192639.11852@cbnewse.att.com> cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
>The IBM SAA Standard System Control Language
>
>Is this true? Are we more mainstrem than we think? Any other relevent comments?

Yup.  IBM has chosen REXX as its SAA "Common Procedures Language".  OS/2 1.2
includes a REXX interpreter.... I was flipping through the programming
tech ref and it's a lot like the VM/CMS REXX, with SUBCOM interfaces and
everything.  So ARexx is definitely "mainstream" and a damn good implementation
in fact.  (IBM wants people to use REXX as a "glue" language to tie apps
together, much like we're doing today with ARexx.  Microsoft wants people to
use BASIC, if you can believe it...)

--
Eric Giguere                                       giguere@csg.UWaterloo.CA

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/25/90)

Re: The implementation of AREXX

Bill Hawes has noted that he's gotten registration cards from IBM, which
*obviously* means that IBM has Amigas within!
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu (Col. Ames and Pixel) (10/25/90)

In article <34467@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>Re: The implementation of AREXX
>
>Bill Hawes has noted that he's gotten registration cards from IBM, which
>*obviously* means that IBM has Amigas within!
>                                                --Rick Wrigley
>                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

   Even better -- Mark Riley of Sonix fame WORKS at or for IBM...

--
 adam hill                                 "I will tell you three things.."
 hill@evax.arl.utexas.edu                     Make Up Your Own Mind.. AMIGA!

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (10/26/90)

In article <1990Oct23.192639.11852@cbnewse.att.com>, cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) writes:
> Yet this company is advertising their REXX clone by calling it:
>
> The IBM SAA Standard System Control Language
>
> Is this true? Are we more mainstrem than we think? Any other relevent comments?

 Yes, it's quite true, IBM is pushing their REXX across all of their
product lines as their "standard" scripting/control language. What
you should be aware of, though, is that SAA Rexx is a subset of ARexx,
OR of any of the really useful IBM variants of Rexx, so most "real"
REXX applications arent really all that portable. For example, all of the
file I/O stuff is left to system-specific extensions; I don't know how
similar these extensions are between the IBM platforms, but I do know that
the I/O in MVS Rexx is nothing like the I/O in Arexx.

    Scott Denham