[comp.sys.amiga] Can I find these languages?

papp@remus.rutgers.edu (papp) (10/24/90)

I am looking for a number of languages for the Amiga, either PD or
commercial or other.  If anyone knows if these are available, and
where I could find them, I'd greatly appreciate the information!

1. C++
2. Prolog
3. LISP
4. Smalltalk
5. Eiffel (I think I'm really pushing my luck here!)

Thanks,
-Al

papp@remus.rutgers.edu
--

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (10/24/90)

In article <Oct.23.22.46.31.1990.20594@remus.rutgers.edu>, papp@remus.rutgers.edu (papp) writes:

> I am looking for a number of languages for the Amiga, either PD or
> commercial or other.  If anyone knows if these are available, and
> where I could find them, I'd greatly appreciate the information!
>
> 1. C++
Lattice C++ = cfront 1.2, Sold with or without Lattice 4.0x. Works with 5.0x.
+: The only _available_ c++ package.
-: cfront sometimes *gurus*!. Slow on a 68000.

Rumors says Comeau Computing will have Cfront 2.1 RSN.

GCC is almost ported (available). Suppose G++ follows.

> 2. Prolog
SBProlog: Stony-Brook prolog,
+: Free, Full source in C and Prolog, 'demand'-loading of predicates. Compiler
-: No Amiga-specific stuff.

Amiga Prolog: Commercial (I have only a demo version yet)
+: Quite fast, Graphics support, though not full library support. Edinburgh
standard
-: No compiler yet.

I have heard of yet another, but my memory fails me.

> 3. LISP
AMXLisp (Amiga XLisp)
+: Amiga support
-: Slow? (I heard)

Cambridge Lisp
+: ?
-: Very out of date. Go for AMXLisp if you need Lisp now.

The availablility of GCC will put KCL within reach.

> 4. Smalltalk
None, that I know of. Perhaps someone is porting GNU Smalltalk?

> 5. Eiffel (I think I'm really pushing my luck here!)  Ask Bertrand
Meyer (comp.lang.eiffel). An eiffel consortium has been formed.  They
are supposed to (among other things) design a 'free' interpreter. Join
them.  Then ask Meyer for permission to port their Eiffel-to-C
translator to the Amiga.

---------
Robin Rosenberg, <rosenber@ra.abo.fi>

etxtomp@eos.ericsson.se (Tommy Petersson) (10/24/90)

I've heard about a translator (producing SAS C-code) from Comeau.
SAS own C++ is (I think) only C++ 1.2.
Maybe GNU g++ will be ported in the near future?

-2. Prolog

Stony Brook (sp?) Prolog on two Fish disks.

-3. LISP
-4. Smalltalk
-5. Eiffel (I think I'm really pushing my luck here!)

Try giving an A3000 to a guy here at work (Enea Data). He's currently
proting Eiffel to different platforms, and if he had an Amiga I'm
sure he couldn't resist the challenge! :-)

I think that a real object-oriented language like Eiffel would be
perfect for Amiga (and ofcourse any other GUI-machine). The development
of programs could be significately shortened if you have well-done
libraries with objects like windows, scroll-bars ...

-
-Thanks,
--Al
-
-papp@remus.rutgers.edu
---

sd05@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Sylvain Tremblay) (10/24/90)

In article <Oct.23.22.46.31.1990.20594@remus.rutgers.edu> papp@remus.rutgers.edu (papp) writes:

>I am looking for a number of languages for the Amiga, either PD or
>commercial or other.  If anyone knows if these are available, and
>where I could find them, I'd greatly appreciate the information!
>
>1. C++

   Available from Lattice (now SAS/C)

>2. Prolog
>3. LISP

   I know of one LISP intepreter available for the Amiga but I don't know
   where or from who you can get it.

>4. Smalltalk
>5. Eiffel (I think I'm really pushing my luck here!)

--
+------------------------------------------------------------------///------+
|  Sylvain Tremblay        INTERNET: sd05@terre.USherb.CA         ///  /|  |

kinnersley@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (10/26/90)

:
: I am looking for a number of languages for the Amiga, either PD or
: commercial or other.  If anyone knows if these are available, and
: where I could find them, I'd greatly appreciate the information!
:
: 4. Smalltalk
:

Little Smalltalk, way back on Fish Disk 37.

Note this is the Smalltalk *language*, not the Smalltalk-80 system.
But it's free.  And comes with source.

--
--Bill Kinnersley