[comp.sys.amiga] Toaster Info...

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (10/12/90)

	Hi all....

	Some Toaster Stuff...

	The Video Toaster will require the "Fatter Agnus" chip be
	installed in your system (the 8372 if memory serves).  The
	"really huge colassal Agnus" (or whatever it is called) that
	provides 2 Meg chip Ram that is in the 3000's will work as
	well.

	As is known by most folks, the Toaster will not "work" in
	the A3000's.  The reason being that the #1 BNC connector
	on the rear edge of Toaster doesn't have room to fit out of
	the card slot on the rear of the 3000.  NewTek is working on
	a new revision of Toaster that is the same with the exception
	that the BNC's are moved over to allow proper fit in the 3000.
	Until this revision is done, NewTek will NOT provide support
	for Toasters in A3000's.

	ANd for the 3000's there is one other snag.

	The current version of the Toaster software has problems of some
	kind with the ECS version of the Denise chip.  The only people
	that should have the ECS Denise chip are the A3000 owners.  It
	is my underatanding that the ECS Denise can be replaced with the
	standard Denise to get around this problem.  THIS IS NOT A HARDWARE
	PROBLEM.  This is a software problem that can be solved with this
	hardware change.  NewTek will "change a few bytes of code" that will
	allow proper functioning with ECS Denise, and will be shipping
	with the revised Toaster Board.

	And in case someone has missed it....

	The Toaster REQUIRES a Time Base Corrector be used on all Video
	***TAPE*** input sources.  This is because the video signal is
	not stable enough coming from the tape transports/heads in a VCR,
	and the Toaster has problems syncing to the signal.  Apparently,
	this is a problem throughout the entire video industry and not
	a problem specific to Toaster.  Input from cameras and laser disks
	should not need time base correction.  A VCR can be used on the
	Toaster output without a time base corrector.

	That's all folks....

	-MP-

a976@mindlink.UUCP (Ron Tarrant) (10/19/90)

> hawk@pnet01.cts.com writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <5146@crash.cts.com>
>
> Org.  : People-Net [pnet01], El Cajon CA
> Person: John Anderson
>

>   In commment to the messages stating that the Toaster needs a time based
> correcterwhen connecting to tape, or with more than one anything else: The
> toaster has *so* much that it does, why didn't it come with a time base
> correcter since it is almost a necessity?

Mainly, I think, because a time base corrector is an expensive piece of
equipment that NewTek would have had to re-invent in order to include on-board.
This would have not only delayed the release for another undetermined amount of
time, but also would have increased the cost of the Toaster and, unless I am
way off, forced them to put an extra pc board into the package.
-Ron Tarrant
a976@Mindlink.UUCP

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (10/19/90)

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (10/20/90)

In article <5146@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:

>  In commment to the messages stating that the Toaster needs a time based
>correcterwhen connecting to tape, or with more than one anything else:  The
>toaster has *so* much that it does, why didn't it come with a time base
>correcter since it is almost a necessity?

1. $$!

2. You don't need it to sync with a laserdisk or video camera or to do
   output only.  Why be forced to buy something if you don't need it?
   Not everybody needs tape input (nice to have though).

On the other hand, it would be intelligent for a VAR to sell a
package:

Accellerated A2000 + hard drive
2 monitors
double-deck video tape system
time base correcter
toaster
lots o' training & support

(Almost) everything you need in one nifty package!  Only $,$$$.cc,
instead of the $$,$$$.cc or even $$$,$$$.cc you'd expect!  Just call
VideoNow at 1-900-RTFM and we'll set you up at your place or mine-er,
ours!

Actually, it would be nice if NewTek bundled a TBC as an option.
'Course, they'd have to find an OEM, and deal with that hassle & all.
Maybe later.

					-Dan

             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) in <7850@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> writes
regarding the Video Toaster:

	2. You don't need it to sync with a laserdisk or video camera or to do
	   output only.  Why be forced to buy something if you don't need it?
	   Not everybody needs tape input (nice to have though).

You don't need a TBC (Time Base Corrector) to sync a SINGLE stable video
source; if you have TWO video cameras (or other sources) you WILL need a TBC.
Tim J. of NewTek made that quite clear during his demo at FAUG this month and
at dinner afterwards.

The Toaster is a VERY impressive product, and it's clear it is intended for
use by professionals who likely already have TBCs.

Yes, if you are "starting from scratch", you will have to factor in the cost
of a TBC for the total application.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (10/20/90)

You forgot to mention that the Toaster requires 5meg of System RAM to run as
well as 5Meg of hard drive space just to install it and run it.  7 Meg of RAM
are suggested and you'd best have more than 5meg of hard drive space if you
want to save anything.

Lightwave 3D and the Modeler that goes with it will NOT run as stand alone
applications and require that you run them from the switcher which checks to
see if the Toaster is indeed installed in the machine, if not, nada.

When NewTek was asked about this and the possible conflicts in production
time, they told me that nothing was planned as far as changing this.  They
suggested to purchase another Toaster for 3D.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  `It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!' ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) (10/24/90)

You, and others, wrote back something to the extent:
> The price of including one would be too expensive, and it would be better to
> let the person choose the one they wanted.

Ok sounds good.  You probably answered this in your statement already but what
I meant was:why didn't they *incorporate* one *into* the hardware since they
already have incorporated so much.  Not simply including one in the box, but
building the circuitry into the toaster.  They could design it themeslves as
they have the toaster itself and they wouldn't have to pay anyone for the
design.

critical.mass@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) (10/25/90)

On 23 Oct 90 18:36:05 GMT hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson):

> I wrote something to the extent:
> Why didn't the Toaster come with a Time Based Correcter since for most
> applications it is almost a necessity.

> You, and others, wrote back something to the extent:
> The price of including one would be too expensive, and it would be better to
> let the person choose the one they wanted.

>Ok sounds good.  You probably answered this in your statement already but
what
>I meant was:why didn't they *incorporate* one *into* the hardware since they
>already have incorporated so much.  Not simply including one in the box, but
>building the circuitry into the toaster.  They could design it themeslves as
>they have the toaster itself and they wouldn't have to pay anyone for the
>design.

I swear, some people will complain about anything, no matter how good it
is.  The reason that a TBC is not built-in to, or included with the Toaster
is that the target market already owns TBCs.  Why would they want another
one?  For the unfortunate folks who want everything for nothing (and don't
happen to own a TBC), buy the Toaster and use it as a 24-bit card with the
excellent 3D rendering software included.  Ignore the paint program till
they come up with a real one and ignore the video toasting ('cept between
frame buffers and stable sources) till you can afford a TBC!  End of story.

      UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!critical.mass    | Critical Mass Software
  ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!critical.mass@nosc.mil | P.O. Box 23
  Internet: critical.mass@pro-graphics.cts.com  | Short Hills, NJ 07078

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (10/26/90)

In article <5220@crash.cts.com> hawk@pnet01.cts.com (John Anderson) writes:
>I meant was:why didn't they *incorporate* one *into* the hardware since they
>already have incorporated so much.  Not simply including one in the box, but
>building the circuitry into the toaster.

Have you ever looked at the Toaster card?  There's no room for any more
components.  It consists of two PC boards, bolted together, packed solid
with components on both boards.  They ran out of room on the standard
8.27 x 4.5 inch boards, and had to stick some components out on a "foot"
that extends 5 inches out below the floppy disk tray.

Unless NewTek did a major redesign (with custom silicon), I don't see how
they could include a Time Base Corrector in addition to everything else
that's on there.  It's a question of cubic inches.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms