[comp.sys.amiga] Problem with A2091 and/or SyQuest drive

brians@hpcljms.HP.COM (Brian Sullivan) (10/25/90)

   I have installed a SyQuest 5 1/4 drive on my Amiga 2000HD.
I am still having a few problems, with the SCSI controller
though.  I have a A2091 and have installed the SyQuest at
SCSU address 0, and a Quantum 40MB is a address 6.  What happens
is that after writing several files to the SyQuest the controller
locks up.  The drive access light on the SyQuest stays on and
the Disk light on the 2000 stays on.  No further SCSI activity
is possible.  This behavior is quite frustrating and it doesn't
happen while accessing the Quantum.  I have disabled reselction
for the SyQuest and I may have disabled it for the Quantum, but
I am not sure how to check for this.  The HD-Toolbox program
doesn't seem to read the existing configuration at all it just
lets you modify or create a new one and then re-initialize the disk
with the screwy partition defaults.  Is it possible to change this
field without destroy all the data on the disk??!#!?
  I am going to try removing the Quantum from the daisy chain and
see if the SyQuest will work on it's own.  If not I will probably
contact SyQuest to see if they can tell me what the problem is.

        -- Brian --

email:  brians@hpclove.cup.hp.com
phone:  work (408)447-7352
        home (408)379-7260

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (10/26/90)

In article <108090002@hpcljms.HP.COM> brians@hpcljms.HP.COM (Brian Sullivan) writes:
>   I have installed a SyQuest 5 1/4 drive on my Amiga 2000HD...
>I have a A2091...SyQuest at SCSI address 0...Quantum 40MB at address 6...
>...after writing several files to the SyQuest the controller locks up...

You must use HDToolBox to make sure "Reselect" is disabled for all drives.

Certain version of the SyQuest ROMS ignore the command to disable reselect.
The ROMS that won't work are those in the 140 series and have the
numbers F3B and F2G.  Apparently earlier ROMS, and later ROMS work fine.

>...I have disabled reselction for the SyQuest I may have disabled it
>for the Quantum, but I am not sure how to check for this...

To disable reselection for the quantum, read the configuration
from the drive, disable the reselection, then save this to the drive.
You have to re-boot the system for this to take effect.

Let me know if this does not work (email).

>...Is it possible to change this
>field without destroy all the data on the disk??!#!?

It should be, although the hdtoolbox might tell you that all data on
the partition will be lost.  Be sure to have a backup of all files
on the partition, just in case.  You should always back up your files
when changing low-level data in the rigid-disk-block of a drive.
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

In article <15417@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>>...Is it possible to change this
>>field without destroy all the data on the disk??!#!?
>
>It should be, although the hdtoolbox might tell you that all data on
>the partition will be lost.  Be sure to have a backup of all files
>on the partition, just in case.  You should always back up your files
>when changing low-level data in the rigid-disk-block of a drive.

	The important trick to doing this is to write down the cylinder
numbers (etc) for each partition, then read config, set reselection to no,
and use that drive type.  Then go into the partitioning screen and set up
everything exactly as before.  If you do this, you will never lose any data.
Of course, having backups is never a bad idea.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"

joe@cbmvax.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara - Product Assurance) (10/27/90)

In article <15417@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <108090002@hpcljms.HP.COM> brians@hpcljms.HP.COM (Brian Sullivan) writes:
>>...Is it possible to change this
>>field without destroy all the data on the disk??!#!?
>
>It should be, although the hdtoolbox might tell you that all data on
>the partition will be lost.  Be sure to have a backup of all files
>on the partition, just in case.  You should always back up your files
>when changing low-level data in the rigid-disk-block of a drive.

When you assign the newly-updated drive definition to your hard disk,
HDToolbox will restructure its partition information to a 'default'
setting. This will hose your partitions if you save it this way. To
prevent data loss:

1. Enter Partitioning screen
2. Select Advanced Options
3. Click on each partition in turn and write down the beginning and
   ending cylinder numbers, partition name, bootable status
4. Exit Partitioning screen
5. Enter Define/Change Drive Type
6. Select appropriate definition (or select new definition if none is
   present and then read configuration from drive)
7. Click on Reselection box, changing it to NO
8. Select OK
9. Select new definition
10. Select OK
11. Enter Partitioning screen
12. Re-enter partitioning information for each partition, including
    partition names. beginning/ending cylinders, bootable status.
13. When it matches original info, select OK
14. Select Save Configuration to Drive
  Joe O'Hara                ||      Disclaimer: I didn't say that!
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||
  Product Assurance         || "I never lie when I have sand in my shoes."
  Systems Evaluation Group  ||             - Geordi LeForge, Star Trek TNG