[comp.sys.amiga] problems with abcfd20

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (10/24/90)

Is it me, or are other people having problems FTPing to
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov?  I have been trying to FTP to it since
last weekend.  I can log on as anonymous, I get the "message of the day",
then comes the coredump!  Strage thing is, I can FTP to other sites with
no trouble at all.  Anyone else having problems?  Anyone have a clue
what's going on?  I noticed that this started happening after the message
of the day was updated to include the stuff about uploading "questionable"
files.

Any ideas????  Thanks.....

RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (10/25/90)

[ The referred to article was had a distribution of na.  Ftp is not
  limited to North America, so I've removed that restriction. ]

In article <1990Oct24.015948.21202@cbnews.att.com> itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) writes:
> are other people having problems FTPing to abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov?
> ... I get the "message of the day", then comes the coredump!

The ftp server on abcfd20 recognizes what host you're coming from and
issues a coredump signal to your machine if it doesn't like the way
you're dressed.  :-)

Actually, you're ftp client is broken.  Apparently some ftp clients do
not accept multiline responses (the message of the day, in your case)
when they don't expect them.  The message is legal according to the
FTP RFC, so your client is broken.

If you're on a UNIX machine that has sockets, get the freed version of
ftp from uunet.uu.net (/bsd-sources/src/ucb, I think).  I don't know
for certain if that one does not have this bug, but it's worth a try.
(If not, let me know.)  Regardless, your system administrator should
be made aware of this situation.

	...tad

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.015948.21202@cbnews.att.com>, itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) writes:
> Is it me, or are other people having problems FTPing to
> abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov?  I have been trying to FTP to it since
> last weekend.  I can log on as anonymous, I get the "message of the day",
> then comes the coredump!
>
> RichBrack

I haven't had any significant problem with either the 'old xanth' or 'new.'
With the core dump it sounds like a system problem possibly. (Though I don't
much about core dumps, I NEVER make mistakes because I don't want to deal
with them :-)  )  What I am having problems with is getting through to
'gtss.gatech.edu' (128.61.4.1) and 'ux1.cso.uiuc.edu' (128.174.5.54). Georgia
Tech is suppose to have some AREXX archives but I've tried occasionally over
the last year and have NEVER been successful on getting on. I think I have
got on 'ux1' in the past but haven't been able to lately, even though I usually
try very late or early in the day. Has anybody had success with these two?

Sorry I couldn't help with abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov. Just ftp'd down about .75M
less than a hour ago.

---Mike

--
 --------       o       A herd of bagels      | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 --------      o o      all the wrong places  | CIS: 73777,360

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (10/27/90)

In article <2653@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil>, nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
> In article <1990Oct24.015948.21202@cbnews.att.com>, itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) writes:
> > Is it me, or are other people having problems FTPing to
> > abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov?  I have been trying to FTP to it since
> > last weekend.  I can log on as anonymous, I get the "message of the day",
> > then comes the coredump!
> >
> > RichBrack

I used to have a problem with my host system.  If I tried
to ftp to a system and timed out, then the next system I would
try to connect to would produce an immediate core dump on my
system.

But I have had no problem with abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov.
Good job, Tad!

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu