[comp.sys.amiga] ASDG VD0: DOES NOT WORK!

longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick) (10/15/90)

I can not get any version of ASDG's VD0: to work.  Can someone tell me
where a working version is.  It mounts fine, but when I try to access it
in any way it says "cannot find".

Also I tried RRamDisk from the Other Guys.  It doesn't seem to work either.
Sometimes it is recoverable, other times it is erased.  All I do is use their
mountlist for boot:.  Except I change the bootpri, because I want to boot
from my harddrive.  Does anyone have any ideas what is going on.

I would really like to get a recoverable ram disk to work.

--

 Kenneth M. Botwinick                   (508) 792-5622
 Longshot@wpi@wpi.edu                   100 Institue Rd. Box 2235

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/16/90)

If I were you I would use VDK: which is pd, and is a lot better than VD0:
mainly because it survives gurus, which vd0: doesn't.  (If you get a guru
while in VD0:)  VDK is a bit bigger, but it is only because the guy who
compiled it left in the debug stuff, so strip it and it will be nice and
small.  I use it all the time and have had NO errors, in the 2 years I have
used it...   I have not tried it with a hard drive, so I don't know about
that problem, but give it a try anyway!

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/16/90)

     VD0: does survive the guru.  It's saved my ass a few times.
                                           Jason
There was only two instances where it didn't and it's probably because the
guru corrupted that location or something.

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (10/16/90)

In article <9144@helios.TAMU.EDU> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
   >If I were you I would use VDK: which is pd, and is a lot better than VD0:
   >mainly because it survives gurus, which vd0: doesn't.  (If you get a guru

Warning Will Robinson!  Bogons threatening at 12 o'clock high!

Quite actually it depends on what guru'd your machine.  If some
code went and just started tromping memory then more than likely
VD0: AND VDK: will not survive.  As much as I guru my ol' A1000
it's rare that VD0: doesn't come back.  I've been using VD0: since
Perry released it (and I never cared much for CBM's RRD:)

   >used it...   I have not tried it with a hard drive, so I don't know about
   >that problem, but give it a try anyway!

VD0: works just peachy with my Supra WordSync and my A1000 with a
squirrelly old CSA '020 board.

	-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock				DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
Computer Science Department		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Francis Heffernan) (10/17/90)

	RE Recoverable ram disks

	I had nothing but trouble with VDK: for years, and tolerated it only
because I couldn't get VD0: to work- it would seem to mount, but nothing could
find it.  I'm now using RRam without any problems (though I call it VDK: so I
wouldn't have to change all my scripts ;-)

	Here's the mountlist I'm using; maybe this will help the original
poster with his problem:

vdk:
           Device = ramdisk.device
           Unit   = 0
           Flags  = 7
           Surfaces  = 2
           BlocksPerTrack = 11
           Reserved = 2
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0 ;  HighCyl = 79
           Buffers = 1
           BufMemType = 5
           Mount = 1
           BootPri =-127
           Priority = 5
#

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com   ...uunet!tronsbox!dfrancis     GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"I don't understand why you make such a big deal out of everything...haven't
you learned; if it's not happenning to me it's not important?" -Murphy Brown

rnews@qut.edu.au (10/17/90)

In article <9144@helios.TAMU.EDU>, n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
> If I were you I would use VDK: which is pd, and is a lot better than VD0:

Where do you get it please.

Greg Palmer.

G.Palmer@qut.edu.au

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (10/17/90)

>In article <9144@helios.TAMU.EDU> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>If I were you I would use VDK: which is pd, and is a lot better than VD0:
>mainly because it survives gurus, which vd0: doesn't.

   Back in the good old days when I still had my A1000 (recently sold it &
upgraded to a A2000) I also had problems with VD0:. The problem seemed to be
related to the internal memory hack I had done to piggyback rams on the
existing ones. I finally gave up on VD0: and used VDK:. It worked fine for
several years. I should remark though that VDK: is NOT PD. It was initially
posted to several national networks as PD, but was later removed (if I
remember correctly) because it was owned by a commercial company. There were
some problems with it when WB 1.3 came out (can't remember exactly what they
were). But I had to stop using it about that time. I remember a patch to VDK:
being posted on People Link a while back for some other problems it had.
   I now use VD0: on my A2000 & it survives gurus just fine (at least most of
them).
   There are some other PD recoverable ram disks available as well that you
might try. I think one of them was called RRamdisk or something like that. I
have seen it posted in numerous places.

						Terry

| Terry Ricketts			|  Internet: terry@helios.ucsc.edu
| Senior Electronics Engineer		|  	     loel@helios.ucsc.edu
| Lick Observatory Electronics Lab	|  Phone:    408-459-2110
| University of Calif, Santa Cruz 	|

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/19/90)

VD0: does not survive a guru if you are IN it, which you probably are if you are
using it...  I KNOW this from MUCHO experience...

  Christopher Walton                  :    n07ev@tamuts.tamu.edu
    'To LIVE is to use an AMIGA!'     :    cmw1725@tamvenus.tamu.edu

n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (10/19/90)

VDK: will be uploaded to abc... as 'vdkdevice.lzh'...

dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us (David R. Tyler) (10/20/90)

>In article <9307@helios.TAMU.EDU> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>VD0: does not survive a guru if you are IN it, which you probably are if you are
>using it...  I KNOW this from MUCHO experience...

 i think it's much more dependent on the type and severity of the GURU my
  friend! My friend and i have used it in the past (before the HD we have)
  and most of the time it survives intact...

 GURU's arent the "errant process" deciding to die, they are other processes
 discovering that another process has been scrambling through memory! So
 if the guru'd program isnt messing around with the mem that VD0: is using
  you're ok.. hehee...

--

 David R. Tyler        //\\	       Tyler33@Snybufva.Bitnet
The Amiga Aquarium \\ //==\\	   dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us

longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick) (10/25/90)

It seems I created a tidle wave with my question about VD0:
Well I have come up with a solution to my problem.  It seems
like others should have also had this problem, but no one suggested
it in their replies to me.  When I don't run setpatch, my ram disk
is fully recoverable even after commercial games that seize the
machine.  But when I do run setpatch there is no hope.

My NEW question: Is setpatch 1.34 REALLY necessary? Is this the latest
version. My version of kickstart is 34.5 and my version of workbench
is 34.28 if this is any help.  I really want a recoverable ram disk.

Here is a new and interesting twist to my problem.  I have adram 540
for the 500 which is populated with 4 megs.  It fits where the A501
would go.  Now 2 megs of it is autoconfig.  The other two megs can
only be recognized if I run an included program called adram.
Now if I run adram I will never have a recoverable ram disk.  Anyone
know why?

I'm tired of things not working and of Guru's.  Commodore is trying my
patience.  Of course it's just like our country.  I love the country
but hate the government.  The government and Commodore both have their
heads up their *sses.  How about a little quality control for our computer?
If something sucks or doesn't work right, Don't release it.  It only
hurts the image of our computer.  And image is everything.  Our
computer may be great, but no one except students, profs, and engineers
know that.  Apple and IBM have the ignorance of the masses behind them.

 Kenneth M. Botwinick                   (508) 792-5622
 Longshot@wpi@wpi.edu                   100 Institue Rd. Box 2235
 Worcester Polytechnic Institute        Worcester, Mass. 01609

|Our reality doesn't|				|"You want me to humiliate|
|define our fiction,|	????????????????????	|myself fo yo personal en-|
|our fiction defines|		????		|joyment? I don't think so|
|our reality. - me  |				|Homey, don't play that." |

Only //||      Disclaimer: Don't try to understand me, I don't.
    // ||
\\ //==||
 \\/   ||miga! gurus.  But STs bomb, IBMs lock up, Encores crash, etc.....

--

 Kenneth M. Botwinick                   (508) 792-5622
 Longshot@wpi@wpi.edu                   100 Institue Rd. Box 2235
 Worcester Polytechnic Institute        Worcester, Mass. 01609

schweige@suns2.cs.nps.navy.mil (jeffrey schweiger) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.233018.29972@wpi.WPI.EDU> longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick) writes:

[deleted]

|Here is a new and interesting twist to my problem.  I have adram 540
|for the 500 which is populated with 4 megs.  It fits where the A501
|would go.  Now 2 megs of it is autoconfig.  The other two megs can
|only be recognized if I run an included program called adram.
|Now if I run adram I will never have a recoverable ram disk.  Anyone
|know why?
|
|I'm tired of things not working and of Guru's.  Commodore is trying my
|patience.  Of course it's just like our country.  I love the country
|but hate the government.  The government and Commodore both have their
|heads up their *sses.  How about a little quality control for our computer?
|If something sucks or doesn't work right, Don't release it.

[deleted]

You seem to be blaming Commodore for problems regarding the interaction
of VD0: (which Commodore didn't write) and Adram 540 (which Commodore didn't
make).  While I agree that quality control is extremely important, I haven't
seen anything that proves that Commodore is responsible for the problems you
are raising in this post.  Why automatically blame Commodore?

Jeff Schweiger	      Standard Disclaimer   	CompuServe:  74236,1645
Internet (Milnet):				schweige@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/25/90)

     Why are you blaming CBM when it's your fault?  If you had asked about
expanding through the internal expansion bus past the 512K range on this
net, you would have received many informed answers and information.
     Many people have strongly urged, on uxa, that if you are expanding your
system over than a meg on the A500, to get an expansioin system through
the 86 pin expansion bus on the side of the Amiga, as CBM engineers PLANNED.
The internal was meant to add 512K and a clock.  Any other expansion through
there is a hack.
     Most expansions internally are slow-fast ram.
          expansions externally are fast ram.

          expansions internally sometimes have autoconfig problems.
                     externally, all memory expansions autoconfig w/o
                                a glitch nowadays

          expansions internally increase the heat inside the computer
                     externally they do not and usually do not draw
                      power f/ the system (they have options for external
                       power supplies).

     The best way to expand the A500 is through a hard drive/memory expansion
system on the side bus, though many companies also offer just memory if you
so desire.
                                  Good luck w/ your setup,
                                   and hope you get VD0: running,
                                       it's worth it,
                                       Jason

jim@syteke.be (Jim Sanchez) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.233018.29972@wpi.WPI.EDU> longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick) writes:
>It seems I created a tidle wave with my question about VD0:
stuff deleted
>machine.  But when I do run setpatch there is no hope.

see below

>My NEW question: Is setpatch 1.34 REALLY necessary? Is this the latest
>version. My version of kickstart is 34.5 and my version of workbench
>is 34.28 if this is any help.  I really want a recoverable ram disk.

It cannot hurt see below.

>Here is a new and interesting twist to my problem.  I have adram 540
>for the 500 which is populated with 4 megs.  It fits where the A501
>would go.  Now 2 megs of it is autoconfig.  The other two megs can
>only be recognized if I run an included program called adram.
>Now if I run adram I will never have a recoverable ram disk.  Anyone
>know why?

Why would ANYONE want such a kluge ???

>I'm tired of things not working and of Guru's.  Commodore is trying my
>patience.  Of course it's just like our country.  I love the country
>but hate the government.  The government and Commodore both have their
>heads up their *sses.  How about a little quality control for our computer?

Now this is a little interesting that you flame CBM (who occasionally
really needs it by the way) for making a product that give problem
with NON-reccomended products.  For instance the adram thing sounds
like a kluge to me since (a) it doesn't appear to autoconfig properly
and (b) probably exceeds the power supply's rating or adds too much
heat.  In the case of VD0: I have a 2000 and it work just fine and I
have been using it on a 1000 before that.  I also have a 2620.  So I
don't think it is the vd0: that is the problem.  Are you using
setpatch -r (for 1 meg chip machines only)?  Anyway why are you
bitching to CBM about problems that YOU caused - I just don't
understand it?

>If something sucks or doesn't work right, Don't release it.  It only
>hurts the image of our computer.  And image is everything.  Our

Why the hell buy crap that does not meet manufacturers specs?
>computer may be great, but no one except students, profs, and engineers
>know that.  Apple and IBM have the ignorance of the masses behind them.

sig stuff deleted
>--
> Kenneth M. Botwinick                   (508) 792-5622
> Longshot@wpi@wpi.edu                   100 Institue Rd. Box 2235
> Worcester Polytechnic Institute        Worcester, Mass. 01609

Cheers
--
Jim Sanchez          | jim@syteke.be (PREFERRED)
Hughes LAN Systems   | OR uunet!mcsun!ub4b!syteke!jim

cullip@sargent.cs.unc.edu (Timothy Cullip) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.233018.29972@wpi.WPI.EDU> longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick) writes:
>It seems I created a tidle wave with my question about VD0:

(stuff deleted, and now the important parts)

>Here is a new and interesting twist to my problem.  I have adram 540
>for the 500 which is populated with 4 megs.
>Now if I run adram I will never have a recoverable ram disk.

>I'm tired of things not working and of Guru's.  Commodore is trying my
>patience.  Of course it's just like our country.  I love the country
>but hate the government.  The government and Commodore both have their
>heads up their *sses.

I don't understand why everyone dumps on Commodore.  You say it's their
fault, but did they write VD0:? (I'll give you a hint - the answer is
no).  Did they manufacture adram 540? (I'll give you another hint, the
answer is still no!).  If you have a complaint, direct it to te people
responsible.  Commodore can't be responsible for the products that
others produce that run on their machines.

Yes, if I were you, I'd be frustrated that these products don't work
in a cooperative manner - but don't flame Commodore.

   Tim Cullip

PS : By the way, who elected our government?

   Tim Cullip
   cullip@cs.unc.edu

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (10/26/90)

In a previous article, longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick) says:

>Here is a new and interesting twist to my problem.  I have adram 540
>for the 500 which is populated with 4 megs.  It fits where the A501
>would go.  Now 2 megs of it is autoconfig.  The other two megs can
>only be recognized if I run an included program called adram.
>Now if I run adram I will never have a recoverable ram disk.  Anyone
>know why?
>
>I'm tired of things not working and of Guru's.  Commodore is trying my
>patience.  Of course it's just like our country.  I love the country
>but hate the government.  The government and Commodore both have their
>heads up their *sses.  How about a little quality control for our computer?
>If something sucks or doesn't work right, Don't release it.  It only
>hurts the image of our computer.  And image is everything.  Our
>computer may be great, but no one except students, profs, and engineers
>know that.  Apple and IBM have the ignorance of the masses behind them.

Why flame Commodore about something they didn't make? Commodore only claims
that the A500 is expandable to 1 Meg by using the A501 expansion board. They
didn't make the Adram 540 and they don't have anything to do with the way
it configs memory, nor does Commodore have anything to do with VD0:. If you
must flame someone flame the company that made the Adram, don't try to give
Commodore a bad reputation by flaming them about something they have nothing
to do with.

> Kenneth M. Botwinick                   (508) 792-5622
> Longshot@wpi@wpi.edu                   100 Institue Rd. Box 2235
> Worcester Polytechnic Institute        Worcester, Mass. 01609

--
                                           ///
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |       ///  /\

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (10/26/90)

From article <1990Oct24.233018.29972@wpi.WPI.EDU>, by longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick):
> It seems I created a tidle wave with my question about VD0:
> Well I have come up with a solution to my problem.  It seems
> like others should have also had this problem, but no one suggested
> it in their replies to me.  When I don't run setpatch, my ram disk
> is fully recoverable even after commercial games that seize the
> machine.  But when I do run setpatch there is no hope.

I hate to dissappoint you, but VD0: and setpatch happily co-exist on my
machine!  (Setpatch first, of course).  I should point out that there
are two versions on VD0: - the original one that is very robust, and a
rebuilt one that is smaller, and less robust. (Fish disks 58 and 241
respectively).  It is important to get the BufMemType field in the
mountlist correct, or it may not behave.

> My NEW question: Is setpatch 1.34 REALLY necessary? Is this the latest
> version. My version of kickstart is 34.5 and my version of workbench
> is 34.28 if this is any help.  I really want a recoverable ram disk.

Setpatch patches the kickstart, which did not get bug fixed till 2.0, so
you either use it or live with the bugs (rarely got bitten by them
anyway).

> Here is a new and interesting twist to my problem.  I have adram 540
> for the 500 which is populated with 4 megs.  It fits where the A501
> would go.  Now 2 megs of it is autoconfig.  The other two megs can
> only be recognized if I run an included program called adram.
> Now if I run adram I will never have a recoverable ram disk.  Anyone
> know why?

This relates to BufMemType above, with complications.  If you do not
mount AND USE VD0: before you adram, this memory may be used rather than
the autoconfig lot.  I am not familiar with the adram 540, and cannot
say if its autoconfigure is kosher, or any of its other gyrations to
live on the chip bus but not be addressable as such.  If you had
mentioned this in your original post you might have got a clearer
answer.  I would hazard a guess that adram 540 is not compatible with
_any_ recoverable arrangement (experience to the contrary anyone?) and
therefore suggest that you use BufMemType=2 (chip only) and set your
size down to fit in the smaller space.

As to gurus, I and many others can go for days without them despite a
heavy workload on the machine.  To get to this state you have to be
careful what new utilities you add to your operation (add them slowly,
one at a time so that you have time to find a rare-but-hard-to-find
interaction that gurus).  There are also flaky machines that are prone
to get their knickers in a twist, and machines that have had kludges
(eg adram 540) added are always a bit nearer the edge than standard
units.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

hibrown@cs.albany.edu (Herbert I Brown) (10/26/90)

In article <2399@trlluna.trl.oz>, aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) writes:
> From article <1990Oct24.233018.29972@wpi.WPI.EDU>, by longshot@wpi.WPI.EDU (Kenneth M Botwinick):
> > It seems I created a tidle wave with my question about VD0:
>
> I hate to dissappoint you, but VD0: and setpatch happily co-exist on my
> machine!  (Setpatch first, of course).  I should point out that there

I have the A2091 controller (A2500/30) and mount vd0: before SetPatch
and all seems to be working OK (since Feb).

Herb Brown  Math Dept  The Univ at Albany  hibrown@leah.albany.edu

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (10/28/90)

In article <9307@helios.TAMU.EDU> n074ev@tamuts.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) writes:
>VD0: does not survive a guru if you are IN it, which you probably are if you are
>using it...  I KNOW this from MUCHO experience...

Yeah right.

Like clockwork this thread starts up about every year. And then it takes a
while for the overwhelming truth to prevail. Like as in: If it doesn't work
on your machine, there's something special about your machine.

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry