[comp.sys.amiga] DNet Problems...

hansb@ariel.unm.edu.unm.edu (Hans Bechtel) (02/18/88)

I have not been able to get DNET to work properly, yet.

After I run dnet on the amiga side, I connect to the unix system...
I type in "dnet" for the unix side.
I receive the following text:

use logout to logout

use logout to logout

%

I noticed that the modem SD/RD light flickers on and off three times
in succession, pauses, and does it again..

It looks like most of it works, (at least it is not a bad download),
but I am currently stuck on the problems described above.

Hans Bechtel

mwills@x102a.x102a.harris-atd.com (wills ms 01309) (02/22/89)

I'm having trouble bringing up DNET on our SYS V machine with Berkley
extensions (Harris HCX-9 supermini).  I had no trouble bringing up UW,
as we have support for pty's and berkley IPC on the UNIX side.  Still,
I run dnet (I've even tried "dnet -8 -d") on the amiga, log in to UNIX
and run "dnet debug" there.  The dnet window goes away, and FTERM pops
up, but it times out saying that it can't connect to the server.

The UNIX end periodically sends a burst to the amiga (observable via
modem RX Data LED), but no more windows nor nuttin'.  The amiga dnet
continues in the background, and I can pop the main window up again,
followed by another FTERM by saying "break 1", just as advertised.
But the timeout repeats.  When the main window is up, I tried
executing "quit dnet" from the pulldown menu, to no avail.  "Quitdnet"
at the CLI prompt results in a message indicating that the UNIX end
should exit shortly, but it never does.  I have to hang up the line to
kill it (not a productive debugging environment).

I've tried the version from ms.uky.edu and the version from ucbvax
which appears newer, although it bears the same version numbers
(1.20).  My changes so far to get it to compile are as follows:

1. I had to remove the cc "-o" options in the makefile, they aren't
supported under (our?) sys V in conjunction with "-c".

2. I also had to remove the "ulong" typedefs, they already exist here.

3. two occurances of fcntl(fd, F_SETFL, FNDELAY|FASYNC) become
fcntl(fd, F_SETFL, FNDELAY) since FASYNC is not defined (not needed?)
under sys V. (client/draw.c & client/dsoc.c)

4. Our /usr/include/sys/file.h includes /usr/include/sys/fcntl.h a
second time (after dnetlib.c explicitly includes it), so I copied file.h
and removed the redundant inclusion.

I'm really interested in getting this up, as preceeding discussion
implies that its a very good alternative to UW.  Here is an excerpt
from the .DNET/DNET.LOG file, in case any of you can decipher it for
me.  Any help is appreciated.

From .DNET/DNET.LOG:

Debugger running
DNET RUNNING, Listenfd=3
NETWRITE 00006534 3
WTimeout set
SERR -1 4 00000000 bfffe2b8
WTO
NETWRITE 00008884 3
WTimeout set
SERR 1 4 00000000 bfffe2b8
NETREAD 000088c4 6
RS_CCHK FAILED
RS_CCHK FAILED
WNET-STARTTO
WTimeout set
SERR 1 4 00000000 bfffe2b8
NETREAD 000088c4 5
WNET-NOP
SERR -1 4 00000000 bfffe2b8
WTO
NETWRITE 00008884 3
WTimeout set
SERR 1 4 00000000 bfffe2b8
NETREAD 000088c4 6
RS_CCHK FAILED
WNET-STARTTO
WTimeout set

etc.
--

					- Scott Wills
					mwills@x102a.harris-atd.com

d5kwedb@hacke9.dtek.chalmers.se. (Kristian Wedberg) (07/13/89)

For the past 4 days, I've been trying to get DNet 2.01 up and running, but
I haven't quite made it. The setup:

Amiga 1000 at home, 1200 baud, an 8-bit modem-switch, rlogin to an IBM RT
running BSD 4.3, where I type dnet.

What happens: FTerm window opens, connects, titlebar is '80 * 29',
text in window says "/dev/ttyp1: Not owner" and then I get a prompt.

I can now use this window as a terminal; bring up another fterm,
but I can't do ANYTING else, ie when I run a command (putfiles/loadav...)
all I get is "Unable to connect" or "no connect" or with draw:
"DOpen: Socket operation on non-socket".

My first thought was that maybe I didn't have an 8-bit path all the way,
so I've fiddled with different settings on my terminal and on the
rlogin-command, but that didn't help. Also, ZModem works with binary files,
so it MUST be 8 bits, no?

Now, can you spot anything fishy in all this? My best bet is that this
"/dev/ttyp1: Not owner" means trouble, but I have NO idea why that happens,
or what to do about it. I don't get it when I do a normal login, so it
must be something DNet is trying to do.

After all the 'positive press' DNet has received lately, I really want to
get it started, so any and all help is appreciated.

	Kristian Wedberg		d5kwedb@dtek.chalmers.se

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (12/09/89)

  I recently installed the newest version of dnet (2.10 with fixes).
When I connect to my Sun at work from home, things seem to work fine.
I use:

      dnet -X -8 -b2400 -P0 -Z0

I don't have an 8 bit connection anymore, so I don't use -m0. Anyway,
all goes well. I can get dnet up on the Sun, and I've tried out the
verious clients and everything seems to work well.

  What I want to do, then, is leave that running so I can access the
stuff at home from my Sun at work. This used to work fine, but now
when I type "dsoc" at work it responds "DOpen: No such file or
directory".  Now dsoc works fine when I type it in the fterm window
that is up on my Amiga (I tried this all yesterday. My first thought
was, of course, that something had died. But I went home last night
and dnet was still up, and dsoc still worked from the fterm window).
In fact, from the Sun none of the clients work. draw gives the same
message, and getfiles and putfiles say "Unable to connect". All work
fine from the fterm window on my Amiga.

  Also, has anybody gotten the nfs-handler to work? I compiled snfs on
the Sun, installed nfs-handler in l:, added a mountlist entry for
NF0:. Now I'm not sure exactly what's supposed to happen. I mounted
NF0:. No problem there. But when I try to do something to it (e.g. cd
nf0:) it just hangs.  DNET still works, but all attempts to access
nf0: hang. They remain that way until I quit dnet, at which point they
all return saying "NF0: not found". Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Also, what directory on the UNIX side is NF0: supposed to be attached
to? The default destination directory?

  Oh, one other thing. Perhaps this was just random noise, but I seem
to be getting a lot more checksum failure errors from dnet than I've ever
gotten before. Anyone else experience this?

  Thanks for the help.

  Jim

perley@einstein (Donald P Perley) (12/13/89)

In article <40950@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, jac@muslix (James Crotinger) writes:

>  I recently installed the newest version of dnet (2.10 with fixes).
>When I connect to my Sun at work from home, things seem to work fine.
>I use:
>
>      dnet -X -8 -b2400 -P0 -Z0

>  What I want to do, then, is leave that running so I can access the
>stuff at home from my Sun at work. This used to work fine, but now
>when I type "dsoc" at work it responds "DOpen: No such file or
>directory".  Now dsoc works fine when I type it in the fterm window
>that is up on my Amiga

I just hate "me too" articles, but I will say it: ME TOO!

To further clarify: from an fterm window I can do any of the
commands such as dprint, or opening an amiga cli.

If I rsh to another machine, and rsh back, then try dprint, it says
"unable to connect".  The fterm windows have some extra environment
variables set, like DNETHOST, which may have something to do with it.

The ability to have a cli open from sun csh is neat, but loses some
of its utility when its only accessable via an fterm window on the
amiga console :-(.

>  Oh, one other thing. Perhaps this was just random noise, but I seem
>to be getting a lot more checksum failure errors from dnet than I've ever
>gotten before. Anyone else experience this?

I have been getting this too.  For me it always happens at the page
prompt in "more", so it seems to be dependant on the data transmitted.

When this happens, all the fterm windows are locked, and the only way out
seems to be quitdnet, and restart.

-don perley

perley@trub.crd.ge.com

jac@muslix.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (12/13/89)

In article <10388@vdsvax.crd.ge.com> perley@einstein (Donald P Perley) writes:
>I have been getting this too.  For me it always happens at the page
>prompt in "more", so it seems to be dependant on the data transmitted.
>
>When this happens, all the fterm windows are locked, and the only way out
>seems to be quitdnet, and restart.

  Exactly! Or right after I type a command and hit return. Doesn't
seem to happen when I'm actually transferring data.

  Matt??????

>perley@trub.crd.ge.com

  Jim

greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu (Michael D Fischer) (08/03/90)

Help!  I finally got DNET to work on our SYS V machine here (UMIPS 4.0)
and can run many FTERM's on the amiga, and have them all work perfectly.
However, nothing else seems to work... putfiles, getfiles, loadav...
all say "Unable to connect" or "no connect"... The s:dnet.servers file
is definitely correct (as is the .DNET/dnet.servers file).

I know this isn't much to go on, but does anyone have any idea what
is going wrong?

Mike
-        Michael D. Fischer       |   greendog@max.physics.sunysb.edu   -
-      S.U.N.Y. at Stony Brook    |   mfische@csserv1.ic.sunysb.edu     -

niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu (Christopher W. Carlson) (10/23/90)

This one should be a snap for all you DNet-literate types out there...

I followed the installation instructions for the latest version of DNet (the
dnet.zoo on ucbvax.berkeley.edu in pub/amiga -*IS*- the latest version,
right?) to the letter, or at least I _think_ I did.

Starts up with no problem...  I log onto my UNIX machine through the small
DNet window and execute dnet on the UNIX side of the connection.  The small
Amiga window disappears, a second or so passes, and...

The modem disconnects.  Examination shows that something (dnet, I'd bet)
dumped core all over my ~/.DNet directory, and the log is just cut off as
if it never knew what hit it...

I'm on a uVAX II running 4.3 BSD.  I actually had an earlier version (well,
another version, if the one I have now isn't the newest) running, but I saw
no useful function for it, so it vanished...

Anybody know what's going on?  I'm most definitely not debugger-literate,
although I suppose it could be some configuration problem with the dnet
program.  Hell, I dunno.  Right now, I'd try about anything.

Thanks in advance...

-=* Christopher W. Carlson
    niobium@arrakis.nevada.edu
--
 __   _          _  _____  _    ___       __  |  Christopher W. Carlson |   //
/ __ / \  |     / \   |   / \  |__  /  \ (__  |    niobium@nevada.edu   | \X/

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) (10/24/90)

I have a problem with DNet.  I got my version yesterday night from
ucbvax and it compiled fine under a Sun4.  During testing everything
worked, but DSOC and GETFILES binaries in Unix.

When I start GETFILES from an FTERM I simply get a Core Dump.
And when I type DSOC, I get the following message:

	DSOC V1.01 11 March 1988 Connecting
	Connected
	Amiga CLI running

And after that things get frozen.  Also, when I use the status command
from an Amiga shell I get the following:

         9   fterm	 ARP Process    0   279950  AmigaDOS:
 	10   shell	 ARP Shell P	0   285f80  AmigaDOS:
	12   12> 	ARP Shell P    0   2c54f8  AmigaDOS:

Not to mention that the following EMPTY files appear in my current
directory (Amiga)
	Failed
	Process

Any ideas?  Also, how do you get the NFS thingie to work?

(No .signature yet)

georg@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de (Georg Sassen) (10/28/90)

aliu@aludra.usc.edu (Alex C. Liu) writes:

>I have a problem with DNet.  I got my version yesterday night from
>ucbvax and it compiled fine under a Sun4.  During testing everything
>worked, but DSOC and GETFILES binaries in Unix.

You should have the original Commodore NewShell-command in your C-Directory for
DSOC to work, Arp's NewShell doesn't work.
In addition, DPIPE: must be mounted.

	Georg

Georg Sassen, Kavenstr.8, D-5100 Aachen, Phone: +49-241-875158, FIDO: 2:242/7.11
Internet: georg@cip-s01.informatik.rwth-aachen.de    SubNet: georg@bluemoon.UUCP