[comp.sys.amiga] 1950 vertical jitter

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (10/14/90)

Hello,

     I am as of today starting on my THIRD replacement 1950 monitor.  The
first monitor was extremely blurry on the edges but has no vertical jitter.
The second was blurry in the center and the tube was deformed, but also had no
vertical jitter.  The third monitor that I am using now is crystal clear with
the incredibly frustrating vertical jitter.
* Flame on *
     The BOTTOM line is... DON'T BUY A 1950.  They are the absolute worst
multisyncs you can find.  I am now stuck with this piece of junk with only
my warranty to back it (hmmmmm).  I am immediately going back to the dealer
to take this one back on Monday and get my second monitor back.  At least
it doesn't jitter.  Commodore, if it is true that you now have discontinued
the 1950 monitor all I can say is good ridance.  Now, what about replacements
for those of us with these trashy things?  I'd settle for my money back on
this part of my bundle and I'll go get an NEC 3D.  The idea behind the 1950
was a good one, it's too bad that Commodore took the cheap way out.
* Flame off *
     If all of us netters, who are having 1950 troubles, bombard Commodore
with enough mail then maybe we can get some satisfaction and possibly even
a replacement or our money back.  I can't tell everyone how much trouble I have
had with this system since I picked it up.  The monitor is now holding it up
from being a really top-notch system.  I was planning to demonstrate the
system to the campus here.  I can't do it with this really trash monitor.
It's really hard to impress people when you have to explain why the monitor is
acting the way that it is.  I hate to have to make excuses for a system that
shouldn't need any.

||NeXT- (nekst) N. The only computer to have sold less than 10,000     ||
||      units and not be considered a flop.                            ||
||------------------------------------------/ /------------------------||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) (10/15/90)

In article <33397@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>Hello,
>
>     I am as of today starting on my THIRD replacement 1950 monitor.  The
>     The BOTTOM line is... DON'T BUY A 1950.  They are the absolute worst

Flame on, with afterburners...

I am about to return my second 1950!  Are there ANY 1950s that WORK?!
For that matter, does Commodore do any quality control at all?  Sorry for
the flame but it's just a bit frustrating having a kick butt system if you
can't use it!

Flame off...

Does anyone know exactly how Commodore does QC?  What tests do they run and
for how long?  What is the industry standard these days?  Here at Clearpoint
we run intensive memory diagnostics on ALL of our boards while cycling heat
between ambient temp and 55 C for 72 hours.  Because of this we can offer
a lifetime warranty.  If Commodore spent money up front for a QC program, I
have to believe that they would save at least an equal amount on their
warranty program not to mention all those happy A500 owners who don't
have to reseat a custom chip in order to use their machine this Christmas
morning.
Steve Steir - Clearpoint Research Corp., 35 Parkwood Dr., Hopkinton, Ma. 01748
UUCP: steve@frog!cpoint		ATT: (508) 435-2000	       BIX: clearpoint

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) (10/16/90)

In article <8492@cpoint.clearpoint.com> steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) writes:
>In article <33397@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>>Hello,
>>
>>     I am as of today starting on my THIRD replacement 1950 monitor.  The
>>     The BOTTOM line is... DON'T BUY A 1950.  They are the absolute worst
>
>Flame on, with afterburners...
>
>I am about to return my second 1950!  Are there ANY 1950s that WORK?!

MIne works. I have had no problems. Maybe it's because it's one of those ones
with the dark face plate.  The one at Kobetek (local dealer) works and it's one
of the originals.

>Steve Steir - Clearpoint Research Corp., 35 Parkwood Dr., Hopkinton, Ma. 01748
>UUCP: steve@frog!cpoint		ATT: (508) 435-2000	       BIX: clearpoint

Colin DeWolfe			dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca
				dewolfe@iris1.ucis.dal.ca

drtiller@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Donald Richard Tillery Jr) (10/16/90)

My 1950 also has the dark faceplate AND the vertical jitter.  BTW, this is
my FOURTH 1950.  Another thing that sux about this thing is that the picture
size changes and the picture shifts as it warms up.  That is yet another
anoyance.

Rick Tillery

eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana) (10/18/90)

*

As an originator of this thread, let me try to stave some of the
1950 monitor flaming.

I have solved the vertical jitter problem (I think).
In a nutshell, I opened up the moniter and made an internal adjustment.

The screen has been rock solid ever since.  But before I post what
I did, I am waiting a few days to see if the jitter ever comes back.

If this solves the problem, you can rest easier knowing that the
1950 is not inherently bad, it's just out of adjustment.
It is annoying that Commodore is shipping them this way.

Finally, let me state that I actually *like* my 1950.
(The vertical jitter is the only problem I have seen,
 and once solved, it looks like a good choice to me.)

Eric Quintana                    eric@rorschach.sps.mot.com

steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) (10/18/90)

In article <4042@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP> eric@rorschach.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>As an originator of this thread, let me try to stave some of the
>1950 monitor flaming.
>
>I have solved the vertical jitter problem (I think).
>
>Eric Quintana                    eric@rorschach.sps.mot.com

I wish my 1950s only jittered.  The first monitor made a large snap sound
causing the screen to shrink by about 25%.  The second monitor had no picture
at all and made a high pitched whistling noise (I am told that this is a bad
flyback transformer).  Whether your monitor jitters or has a bad flyback
transformer, it's Commodore QC that needs adjustment!  Until an adjustment
is made, I think I'll try some other monitors.

Steve Steir - Clearpoint Research Corp., 35 Parkwood Dr., Hopkinton, Ma. 01748
UUCP: steve@frog!cpoint		ATT: (508) 435-2000	       BIX: clearpoint

dewolfe@ug.cs.dal.ca (Colin DeWolfe) (10/19/90)

[damn I accidentally nuke the followup line]

>I wish my 1950s only jittered.  The first monitor made a large snap sound
>causing the screen to shrink by about 25%.  The second monitor had no picture
>at all and made a high pitched whistling noise (I am told that this is a bad
>flyback transformer).  Whether your monitor jitters or has a bad flyback
>transformer, it's Commodore QC that needs adjustment!  Until an adjustment
>is made, I think I'll try some other monitors.

This is probably a result of the TTL/Analog switch on the back not being
set to analog.  My monitor had this problem.  I flipped the switch and
everything was hunky dory

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (10/20/90)

In article <8546@cpoint.clearpoint.com> steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) writes:
>In article <4042@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP> eric@rorschach.UUCP (Eric Quintana) writes:
>>As an originator of this thread, let me try to stave some of the
>>1950 monitor flaming.
>>
>>I have solved the vertical jitter problem (I think).
>>
>>Eric Quintana                    eric@rorschach.sps.mot.com
>
>I wish my 1950s only jittered.  The first monitor made a large snap sound
>causing the screen to shrink by about 25%.  The second monitor had no picture
>at all and made a high pitched whistling noise (I am told that this is a bad
>flyback transformer).  Whether your monitor jitters or has a bad flyback
>transformer, it's Commodore QC that needs adjustment!  Until an adjustment
>is made, I think I'll try some other monitors.

The 1950 is made for Commodore by AOC (Tawianise) and only has
Commodore's name on it.  Commodore QC has nothing to do with making or
adjusting the 1950.  The monitors are sample inspected on an incoming
basis to verify that the monitors are up to our specifications.  It
would appear that several monitors (dead, etc.) got through our incoming
inspection process but ALL monitors SHOULD be tested by the manufacturer
(AOC in this case) and adjusted!!!!  We are talking to our supplier to
fix the quality problems.  The 1950s where on hold for several weeks due
to the vertical jitter and tube tilt problems, but as I understand it,
are now corrected and shipping with all the neccessary fixes.  I will
ask about what, if any policy, Commodore has regarding the units with
problems in the field.  You should note that your monitors are covered
under the one year warrenty period and if they need fixing your dealer
should handle it or an authorized repair center.  I will update you good
folks out there in net land when I find out more information.  It may
just be a matter of the repair centers getting the information on how to
fix the monitors!
 .
Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

steve@cpoint.clearpoint.com (Stephen Steir) (10/22/90)

In article <15283@cbmvax.commodore.com> hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) writes:

>The 1950 is made for Commodore by AOC (Tawianise) and only has
>Commodore's name on it.  Commodore QC has nothing to do with making or
>adjusting the 1950.  The monitors are sample inspected on an incoming
>basis to verify that the monitors are up to our specifications.  It

Thanks for the info Scott.  Do you have any idea what that sample size is and
does Commodore have any plans to increase it for questionable vendors?
Also, are there any numbers on what Commodore was finding in their sample
tests?  It seems that there should have been quite a few fallouts given the
number of bad monitors in the field.

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (10/29/90)

From article <4042@rorschach.oakhill.UUCP>, by eric@oakhill.UUCP (Eric Quintana):

> As an originator of this thread, let me try to stave some of the
> 1950 monitor flaming.
>
> I have solved the vertical jitter problem (I think).
> In a nutshell, I opened up the moniter and made an internal adjustment.

Does the interlaced scan work correctly with the new settings?  By this,
I mean that the odd and even scans are evenly placed above/below each
other, rather than having two lines close together, then a slight gap to
the next pair.

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.