[comp.sys.amiga] Heirarchy moderators

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
[About using his "trial" method for creating new newsgroups.]

> The main problem is that trials do not apply to things  like  renaming
> groups,  splitting  groups,  recreating  groups  or  moving  groups.

No, the main problem is that the  cadre  desiring  a  new  newsgroup  is
diffuse, and the trial method does not provide to _all_ those interested
the chance to participate, since it does not provide good propagation. I
eat dessert first, I want my group _now_, and doing  it  by  the  voting
mechanism shows me daily progress toward getting the group  created,  in
the ebb and flow of discussion,  while  having  a  trial  group  created
somewhere I can't see it makes it look like my needs (wants)  are  being
ignored. The problem with "trial" is that it doesn't take  human  nature
into account, not that it is generically a  bad  idea  otherwise.  IMHO.

> We need a solution for those problems. (Other than the standard USENET
> answer, which seems to be "throw as big a committee as you can get  at
> it.")

> My   suggestion  is  to  accept   volunteer  custodians   for  various
> unmoderated groups and group hierarchies. This  custodian  would  have
> the semi-unilateral authority to create  subgroups  etc.  within  that
> hierarchy. (I refer to 2nd & 3rd level hierarchies here, not 1st level
> ones  like  "comp.")

> When I say semi-unilateral, I mean that the custodian  would  initiate
> discussion, *within* the hierarchy, of changes within it,  weight  the
> arguments and make the decision s/he thinks is  best  considering  the
> wishes  of  the  participants  and  good  common  sense.

> This is not a perfect solution, but it sure beats doing everything  by
> big  committee.  Let's  hear  others.

The mechanism I'm using to reorganize comp.sys.amiga  has  part  of  the
flavor of your suggestion, but more  of  the  flavor  of  having  a  big
committee spawn a subcommittee to get  some  real  work  done  when  the
overhead of hearing from everyone with an opinion bogs the process down.

Rather than start the discussion in news.groups, I posted a  local  call
for discussion in the group to be modified, comp.sys.amiga.  We've  gone
through about 500Kbytes of discussion and  email  interchange,  and  two
revisions of the  original  proposal.  What  we  have  hammered  out  is
accepted by 85-95% of the group, and the voices saying  "let  it  alone"
sound  lonely  indeed.

Things have proceded reasonably smoothly because almost everyone reading
and posting was intimately familiar  with  the  problems  involved  with
reading a group with  an  average  1000  articles  online  per  week  of
expiration time, and most were familiar with the common traffic  threads
in  the  group, and so able to make informed choices about how it should
be partitioned.

Occasionally, on some of the more trivial choices, where no agreement on
a name existed, but the functionality of the  subgroup  was  agreed,  or
where a split could be done two  equally  popular  ways,  I  put  on  my
"little tin dictator" hat and made  an  executive  decision.  Much  more
often,  the  will  of  the  group  prevailed.

With all this preparation done, the  subcommittee  is  about  to  report
back. Despite many calls to "get on with the vote", the  month  we  have
spent creating a coherent proposal should be  of  value  in  the  formal
CFD/CFV  period.

I _still_ believe the n.a.n and n.g readership fully deserves  a  chance
to comment and vote on the proposal; the inodes and directory structures
and disk sectors and news scripts and mail relays and phone connect time
involved belong to the greater net, not just  to  the  Amiga  community.

Perhaps, if this works well, the example can be  more  widely  imitated,
and  even  made  part  of  the  guidelines.
                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.