[comp.sys.amiga] Is this price gouging?

Radagast@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (10/29/90)

>	Is it just me or is it really price gouging. I live in New Mexico
>and I currently own an Amiga 500. I would like to put in a 1meg Angus in
>my machine. There are only 2 computer stores in Albuquerque that service
>Amigas. One of the stores wants to charge me $450 for an Angus and instilation
.
>The other wants $400 for the opperation. Both stores sell the 1meg Angus for
>$195. What I think is insaine is the $400 per hour labor for a job that
>takes 1/2 hour to do.

In the bay area it costs about $125 for the agnus and installation on an
A2000.  Maybe about $50 more for the A500.  If I were you I'd change the
chip myself.  You'll need a special chip puller, and you may want to let
your warrantee expire first.

                           -Sullivan_-_Segall (a.k.a. Radagast)

/V\  E-Credibility:  (n -- ME) The unguaranteed likelyhood that
 '   the electronic mail you are reading is genuine rather than
someone's made up crap.
 tMail to: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!radagast or
         radagast@cup.portal.com

johnhlee@thiazi.cs.cornell.edu (John H. Lee) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct26.203914.4164@nmt.edu> mwed381@jupiter.nmt.edu (Fred Wilson) writes:
>	Is it just me or is it really price gouging. I live in New Mexico
>and I currently own an Amiga 500. I would like to put in a 1meg Angus in
>my machine. There are only 2 computer stores in Albuquerque that service
>Amigas. One of the stores wants to charge me $450 for an Angus and instilation.
>The other wants $400 for the opperation. Both stores sell the 1meg Angus for
>$195. What I think is insaine is the $400 per hour labor for a job that
>takes 1/2 hour to do.

Outrageous.  My 1Mb Agnus for my A2000 cost $150 installed by my dealer.
$100 for the chip, $50 for labor.  Actual time: 15 minutes.  Installation
is similar in a A500.  $400-$450 is not reasonable.

The DiskDoctor threatens the crew!  Next time on AmigaDos: The Next Generation.
	John Lee		Internet: johnhlee@cs.cornell.edu
The above opinions of those of the user, and not of this machine.