[comp.sys.amiga] How Many dial-ins does Amiga UNIX support?

cne6745@ritvax.isc.rit.edu (ELFERS, CN) (10/28/90)

This is my first post to this newsgroup so please, no flames!

I want to use the Amiga UNIX as a part-time business (I'll provide ftp service
for people who don't have access to a college, university, or company which has
it.)

Anyway, I will want to allow about 4-5 people dialed in but will want the
option to allow up to 40 or so. Questions:

1) Is there some kind of serial port expansion out there which will allow
   multiple users? What is the limit for this peice of hardware?

2) Would I have to have a seperate modem for each user or is there some kind of
   special multiplexer I could use?

3) How many users will the AMIGA unix support thru dial-ins? What would I have
   to do to allow 40 dial-ins? Set up some kind of server?

4) There is a Multiuser Serial I/O for UNIX card put out by Chase Research
   which looks like it would do what I want but it is for the AT, MCA, and EISA
   bus. Is there any way to use all the hardware for the IBM with Amiga UNIX?

I'm sorry if these appear naive. I would appreciate any info on above. Thanks.

-Chris Elfers

AMIGA DOES IT BETTER!                           cne6745@ritvax.isc.rit.edu OR
Chris Elfers                                    cne6745@ritvax

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct28.161040.981@isc.rit.edu> cne6745@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>This is my first post to this newsgroup so please, no flames!

What?  Have you EVER seen people get flamed here?  Couldn't happen.

>I want to use the Amiga UNIX as a part-time business (I'll provide ftp service
>for people who don't have access to a college, university, or company which has
>it.)

First problem:  Amiga UNIX isn't available to the general public in
the US, yet.  Will be soon, tho (I hope).

>Anyway, I will want to allow about 4-5 people dialed in but will want the
>option to allow up to 40 or so. Questions:
>
>1) Is there some kind of serial port expansion out there which will allow
>   multiple users? What is the limit for this peice of hardware?

There are cards that give you two more serial lines.  This will easily
handle 4-5 users.  However, you only have so many slots.  Also, you
will need a device driver for this hardware, which may or may not be
there.  See my comments below.

>2) Would I have to have a seperate modem for each user or is there some kind of
>   special multiplexer I could use?

You basically need a separate modem and telephone line for each user
that is on at once.  The more lines, the less likely your users get a
busy signal.  However, I believe you can buy boxes that have lots o'
modems all at once.  You still need to install and rent the phone lines.

>3) How many users will the AMIGA unix support thru dial-ins? What would I have
>   to do to allow 40 dial-ins? Set up some kind of server?

Amiga Unix is AT&T Sys5r4, so you can certainly configure it to handle
as much as you want.

>4) There is a Multiuser Serial I/O for UNIX card put out by Chase Research
>   which looks like it would do what I want but it is for the AT, MCA, and EISA
>   bus. Is there any way to use all the hardware for the IBM with Amiga UNIX?

Not really.  The BridgeBoard could use it, but that would not be
nearly powerful enough to handle this kind of operation.  Certain
groups have proposed an add-on bus to let the amiga use ISA bus cards
in native mode, but it's not commercially available, as far as I know,
and I wouldn't trust it in Unix, anyway.

>I'm sorry if these appear naive. I would appreciate any info on above. Thanks.

If you knew the answers, you wouldn't have to ask, now would you?

I considered this sort of thing, although not as an FTP site, so here
are a few (hopefully useful) comments beyond what you've asked:

You have a rather expensive proposition.  You will probably take a
while to break even on it, but I hope you can succeed.

If you want to have 4-5 users on a Unix system, you should have plenty of
memory.  I don't know if Unix will change this, but the Amiga 500-2500
can handle at most 9 megabytes of memory, due to the way registers &
such are mapped.  I would recommend at least 16 megs for this.  The
Amiga 3000 can handle up to 18 megs on the motherboard, and
practically infinite amounts through expansion boards, so you should
probably use a 3000 for this project.  Also, the 3000 has a 32-bit
data path on its bus.  This is very important when running Unix
multi-user.  Unfortunately, there are no 32-bit RAM cards now
available for the 3000, so you have to use the 16-bit cards, which
substantially degrade performance.

If you really want 40 users logged on at a time, I really can't
recommend an Amiga.  Right now, the best CPU you can get for the Amiga
is a 68030, and I don't think it could handle the kind of throughput
you want without getting bogged down.  Sometime it will be possible to
run a 68040 on the Amiga.  This will provide substantially improved
throughput and might handle it, but I doubt it.

Another issue is the disk.  Even with 16 megs of RAM, you will have a
lot of swapping and paging going on with 5 users on at a time.   You
will need a lot of disk space, and you will need a lot of speed.
Of course, if your users are getting stuff via FTP, you need TONS of
space, although this disk space doesn't need to be quite as fast.
Again, I would recommend the 3000 for this, as it has a 32-bit bus and
SCSI controller (I think), and could handle it better.  You will need
an external "shoebox" disk to handle this sort of thing.

Again, due to the limitations on the disk, I can't recommend an Amiga
for 40 users.  Although the SCSI standard is plenty fast for small
systems, it just won't cut it on that scale.  Also, SCSI is a
daisy-chained set up.  You can only get to one device at a time.
You'd want parallel access for that kind of load.  I don't know if the
3000 could handle a second SCSI controller, but if if could, it would
help a lot.  You get 7 disks per controller.

You probably wouln't want your computer handling all of the serial
i/o.  Besides, all those serial cards add up.  A better solution is to
get a terminal server.  It can handle lots of serial lines, and takes
the load off of the main computer.  A division of Hughes Aircraft
makes servers that handle either 8 or 64 serial lines.  They are
hooked into an ethernet, and you can get from the server to the other
systems on the net.  If you are planning on providing FTP service, you
probably already have an ethernet hook up on your computer, so this
would work out well.  Also, some of your users are going to want 9600
bps and faster modems, but you don't have to provide only these
expensive modems.  You can get away with mixing in some cheaper ones.

FTP service is extremely expensive to set up.  You first have to get
registered and approved by some sort of bureacracy, which I know very
little about.  Then, you need to buy an expensive gizmo called an IMP
(InterNet Message Processor).  Then, you need to buy at least two very
high-speed modems (no, 9600 bps isn't good enough).  Then, you need to
install and rent two dedicated telephone lines to two other internet
sites, so other sites can route through your site.  Of course, if you
already have this sort of thing set up, you're in good shape.

I'm not saying that this sort of thing isn't possible for
40 users.  What you would have to do is set up a network of Amigas.
They could have one file server to take care of the disks, and maybe
6-8 3000's that people could log in on.  If you had the terminal
server, people could choose which system they want to log in on.  It
would be truly beautiful.  It would also cost a hell of a lot.

Unfortunately, it is not yet possible in the US, as Amiga Unix is not
readily available.  If you are in a hurry, I would recommend you
either get a big minicomputer, or a network of workstations.  There
are lots of sales weenies at IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Sun, and NeXT who
would just love to sell you some computers.

If you don't have that kind of budget to set up FTP, you can still get
into the game using UUCP.  You will need some local site to give you a
"feed", and you'll need a fast modem to get to it, but you can do it
for much less than FTP.  You can still get files from archives, but it
is much slower (days, instead of minutes).  Of course, if you spend a
couple grand on disk space, you can set up an archive at your own
site, and let people download directly from there.  People would just
love that!  You wouldn't even need Unix, but could just set up a
multi-user BBS.

Whoops.  It's time for lunch.  Good luck!

             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

fnf@riscokid.UUCP (Fred Fish) (10/30/90)

In article <7885@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>In article <1990Oct28.161040.981@isc.rit.edu> cne6745@ritvax.isc.rit.edu writes:
>>3) How many users will the AMIGA unix support thru dial-ins? What would I have
>>   to do to allow 40 dial-ins? Set up some kind of server?
>
>Amiga Unix is AT&T Sys5r4, so you can certainly configure it to handle
>as much as you want.

People who have played with SVR4 at shows have previously reported on
usenet that it is limited to 2 users for licensing reasons.  Hope they
change that in the released version, or at least provide an unlimited
user version for only a small surcharge.

-Fred