[comp.sys.amiga] 1084 monitor problems

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (10/10/90)

I've got a problem with my 1084 monitor.  Quite often, the screen
starts  'bouncing'.   The  display moves up and down about a mil-
limetre very rapidly.  Sometimes shutting the monitor off  for  a
few  mintues  helps, sometimes it doesn't.  Does anyone know what
could be causing this?

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga         /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (Commodore is starting///  *
*                              *    to know that)  \\\///   *
*                              * and it's about time\XX/    *

QUIT

davidy@sumax.UUCP (D.L. Yee) (10/12/90)

In article <9010100244.AA24968@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>I've got a problem with my 1084 monitor.  Quite often, the screen
>starts  'bouncing'.   The  display moves up and down about a mil-
          ^^^^^^^^

  Mine does too.  In fact, it has done this since I first got it.  Two service
calls to the local Amiga dealer/idiot did not help at all.  Is this a common
problem?  I must say that it is very annoying.

                          PC

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/12/90)

In article <1734@sumax.UUCP>, davidy@sumax.UUCP (D.L. Yee) writes:
> In article <9010100244.AA24968@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>>I've got a problem with my 1084 monitor.  Quite often, the screen
>>starts  'bouncing'.   The  display moves up and down about a mil-
>           ^^^^^^^^
>
>   Mine does too.  In fact, it has done this since I first got it.  Two service
> calls to the local Amiga dealer/idiot did not help at all.  Is this a common
> problem?  I must say that it is very annoying.
>
>                           PC
My 1084S does that as well.  I thought maybe it was just my monitor.  It
starts acting like its interlaced (ie. bouncing) and does it for maybe
30 seconds or so then quits.  Its done it for 2 years, so its really more
annoying than it is a problem.

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

871579l@aucs.uucp (Todd Lowe) (10/13/90)

In article <1734@sumax.UUCP> davidy@sumax.UUCP (D.L. Yee) writes:
>In article <9010100244.AA24968@thunder.LakeheadU.Ca> tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA writes:
>>I've got a problem with my 1084 monitor.  Quite often, the screen
>>starts  'bouncing'.   The  display moves up and down about a mil-
>          ^^^^^^^^
>
>  Mine does too.  In fact, it has done this since I first got it.  Two service
>calls to the local Amiga dealer/idiot did not help at all.  Is this a common
>problem?  I must say that it is very annoying.
>
>                          PC

 Mine has also done this since I bought it. :-(  The service person I
 talked to about it said that it was only 1084s made by a specific manufacturer,
 that do this, but he couldn't fix it.
 I think it is quite common tho, cause 3 other people I know have had the same
 problem.

 Todd

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/15/90)

My A1084s also suffers from the same thing occasionally...I've been told it
was a heat problem, but I don't know for sure.

It only happens after several hours of use, and then only periodically so I
haven't even said anything about it to a service tech (plus, it's out of
warranty :)

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

aaronf@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Aaron Friesen) (10/15/90)

Several people have commented:
>>I've got a problem with my 1084 monitor.  Quite often, the screen
>>starts  'bouncing'.   The  display moves up and down about a mil-
>           ^^^^^^^^

When I first purchased my 1084, I noticed this problem.  Took it back
and got a different one.  It had the same problem.  I'v been using it
this way for over 2 years now.  It's just the 1084...

Aaron

carpente@corinth.uucp (Michael A. Carpenter OSBU North) (10/16/90)

There is an article in Amazing Computing about fixing a high voltage
arcing problem in the 1084 monitor a few months ago.  Sound like
that is what you have.  I have the same problem.

I have some electronics experience, so I opened my monitor up and
tried to do the fix, but couldn't.  The article suggests taking the
article and the monitor to a qualified service technician.  That
might be something to try - it seems several people have this problem.

Michael

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (10/17/90)

--

Ready for another Me Too line ??? Naa. but I will say that giving the monitor
a right cross to the bottom right of the monitor seems to cure mine for about

 -------------------------------------------------//-------------------------
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,
  ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac! --/			//	      Never leave
	     uunet!msac! -/   Erick Parsons \Sacramento Ca    Home Without it
 --------------------------------------------\X/-----------------------------
 Please Don't Wait...

michael9@stretch.cs.mun.ca (Michael Sullivan) (10/26/90)

>>>	     ^^^^^^^^
>>>   Mine does too.  In fact, it has done this since I first got it.  Two service
>>My 1084S does that as well.  I thought maybe it was just my monitor.  It
>Ready for another Me Too line ??? Naa. but I will say that giving the monitor
>a right cross to the bottom right of the monitor seems to cure mine for about
   -----------

  Well, it finally happened to me.  My 1084 used to show many of the symptoms
that I've read about here, and now it's dead.  (weep)  It happened one night
while working on some code.  The picture began to grow dark, until the screen
blacked out.  I gave it slap on the side and it came back.  But only for a
time.  It's dead for good now, and I await the repair bill.
  If this is a common problem with 1084's, why hasn't Commodore put out some
kind of a recall?  Or at least extended the warrenties?

--
uunet!garfield!pooky!michael9                         michael9@pooky.cs.mun.ca
+=============================================================================+

jones@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Jones ) (10/27/90)

Some one mentioned a fix to this prob in one of the Amiga Mags,  which
mag was this and which month?

jones@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Jones ) (10/29/90)

To more specifically describe my problem, the monitor flashes every once
in a while, not bounces like in most of the other posts.  This sounds more
like the voltage spike that was mentioned to be able to be fixed in a
what amiga mag that this article came out of and what month?  Or anyone
else who would know of this article.

Thanks in advance..
Scott..

carpente@corinth.uucp (Michael A. Carpenter OSBU North) (10/30/90)

In article <6499@plains.NoDak.edu> jones@plains.NoDak.edu (Scott Jones ) writes:
>To more specifically describe my problem, the monitor flashes every once
>in a while, not bounces like in most of the other posts.  This sounds more
>like the voltage spike that was mentioned to be able to be fixed in a
>what amiga mag that this article came out of and what month?  Or anyone
>else who would know of this article.

The article refered to was in Amazing Computing and I can't recall the month,
but it has been three or four issues ago, which would make it June - August
timeframe.  (I'm not at home, or I would check for sure...)

I tried to do the fix myself and I couldn't ever locate the exact part
that they were describing.  I would think that the next tactic would be
to take the monitor AND the ariticle to an authorized dealer and let them
try it.  The problem has to do with a fastener on a heat sink in the high
voltage power section.  I just couldn't find the said heat sink.

I would personally like to hear from someone who has successfully done this.

Good luck.

Michael