[comp.sys.amiga] DKB-Trace Problems

SL9QW@cc.usu.edu (Amiga IS Multimedia. An apple is a fruit.) (10/27/90)

I have tried several times to get the DKBTrace Amiga program (TraceFFP) to work
on my Amiga 1000/w 2.5 megs.  I have FTP'd it several times (binary) and then
downloaded it to my computer Via X-modem, and when I try to run it, I get a Dos
error 121.  What am I doing wrong?  I am FTP'ing it from
alfred.ccs.carleton.ca /pub/dkbtrace/DKBAmiga.
Any help would be appreciated.

John Z.
sl9qw@cc.usu.edu

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (10/29/90)

In article <41254@cc.usu.edu>, SL9QW@cc.usu.edu (Amiga IS Multimedia. An apple
is a fruit.) says:

>on my Amiga 1000/w 2.5 megs.  I have FTP'd it several times (binary) and then
>downloaded it to my computer Via X-modem, and when I try to run it, I get a

Try some other transfer protocol instead of Xmodem.  Xmodem adds (I seem
to recall) NULL bytes at the end of the file to pad it out to 128 or 256
byte blocks, or some such.  This doesn't matter to MSDOS, but makes
AmigaDos ill.  There are also a zillion of utilities floating around
that could chop those NULLS of for you.  I think they are called FIXHUNK, or
some such.

            lee

sanders@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Robert M Sanders) (10/29/90)

I used x-modem to download DKB trace a while ago, with no problems.  I'm
running it from 'Wombat' from one of the real early Fred Fish disks.
AmigaDos didn't complain at all over it.  None of the compression programs
I've used have complained about the extra null bytes either (ex: zoo, arc,
lharc, lhwarp).

                                        Rob

In <2670@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil>, nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) writes:
>In article <90301.112031UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
>> In article <41254@cc.usu.edu>, SL9QW@cc.usu.edu (Amiga IS Multimedia. An apple
>> is a fruit.) says:
>>
>> >on my Amiga 1000/w 2.5 megs.  I have FTP'd it several times (binary) and then
>> >downloaded it to my computer Via X-modem, and when I try to run it, I get a
>>
>> Try some other transfer protocol instead of Xmodem.  Xmodem adds (I seem
>> to recall) NULL bytes at the end of the file to pad it out to 128 or 256
>> byte blocks, or some such.  This doesn't matter to MSDOS, but makes
>> AmigaDos ill.
>>
>>             lee
>

>I've heard of this problem before of something padding the end block of a
>file with NULL bytes, but I don't think it is x-modem that is doing it. I've
>been using x-modem for close to 4 years now and never had any problem with
>it and have never seen anything like this. Would like more information on what
>this NULL byte padding problem is/was though.

XModem is specified in such a way that it WILL pad any file that is not an
exact multiple of 128 bytes long. Some xmodem programs will pad with a CTRL-Z,
(CP/M EOF), when transmitting a file, while others will pad with bytes of 0x00.
The reason you haven't seen this yet is because most Amiga programs 'autochop'
the received file.  Prevents a lot of headaches.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (10/29/90)

In article <90301.112031UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) writes:
> In article <41254@cc.usu.edu>, SL9QW@cc.usu.edu (Amiga IS Multimedia. An apple
> is a fruit.) says:
>
> >on my Amiga 1000/w 2.5 megs.  I have FTP'd it several times (binary) and then
> >downloaded it to my computer Via X-modem, and when I try to run it, I get a
>
> Try some other transfer protocol instead of Xmodem.  Xmodem adds (I seem
> to recall) NULL bytes at the end of the file to pad it out to 128 or 256
> byte blocks, or some such.  This doesn't matter to MSDOS, but makes
> AmigaDos ill.
>
>             lee

I've heard of this problem before of something padding the end block of a
file with NULL bytes, but I don't think it is x-modem that is doing it. I've
been using x-modem for close to 4 years now and never had any problem with
it and have never seen anything like this. Would like more information on what
this NULL byte padding problem is/was though.

---Mike,

--
 --------       o       A herd of bagels      | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 |      |  --  oo o o   escaping from a deli. | DLA Systems Automation Center
 |      |  -- ooo oo    Looking for Lox in    | Cols, Ohio mfigg@dsac.dla.mil
 --------      o o      all the wrong places  | CIS: 73777,360

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/30/90)

Re: Xmodem padding
Xmodem does indeed pad the last block sent to make it come out to an even
128 bytes. If you have been using XModem without any troubles,
it's because your terminal auto-chops files.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet