[comp.sys.amiga] Does ML exist for the Amiga?

weebersa@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weeber) (10/26/90)

Does anyone know of a version of the ML programming language, preferably
Standard ML of New Jersey, for the Amiga?

Thanks.

Steve

=           Steve Weeber         |   InterNet: weeber@cs.purdue.edu       =
=         Purdue University      |   BitNet  : weebersa%mentor@purccvm    =
=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
=  "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, and then suddenly it   =
=   flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come." =
=          -- Nietzsche as quoted by Matt Groening                        =

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/26/90)

In article <15710@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> weebersa@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weeber) writes:
>Does anyone know of a version of the ML programming language, preferably
>Standard ML of New Jersey, for the Amiga?

I'm sure that it wouldn't be too much of a hassle getting it to go on the
Amiga (especially with GCC).  One major problem is getting the whole thing
onto your Amiga.  SML WILL NOT work on a machine without a hard drive.
Let's see.  SML in total on one of our Sun 4s takes up about 40 megs
of disk space.  Not exactly peanuts.  If somebody is willing to loan
me a 600 meg drive (permanently 8-), I'll work on the port (greed does
have its nice points 8-)

>Thanks.
>
>Steve

>=           Steve Weeber         |   InterNet: weeber@cs.purdue.edu       =
>=         Purdue University      |   BitNet  : weebersa%mentor@purccvm    =
>=-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
>=  "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra, and then suddenly it   =
>=   flips over, pinning you underneath.  At night, the ice weasels come." =
>=          -- Nietzsche as quoted by Matt Groening                        =

aiajms@castle.ed.ac.uk (-=Andy=-) (10/27/90)

Perhaps a port of Edinburgh ML which is fairly compact and should run in
2 Megabytes. We have 2 Meg workstations over here which run it ok.

Distribution could be a problem and would have to be checked out with
the LFCS  here at Edinburgh. I certainly have permission to do a port
but I have no permission to ditribute it.

Andy

Name  : A Mcsherry
Degree: Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence		   //
Univ  : University Of Edinburgh, Scotland.		       \\ //
Mail  : aiajms%uk.ac.ed.castle@nsfnet-relay			\X/
Motd  : Don't be STingy, buy a decent computer         -->     AMIGA

Chuck.Phillips@FtCollins.NCR.COM (Chuck.Phillips) (10/28/90)

Ralph> In article <15710@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> weebersa@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weeber) writes:
>Does anyone know of a version of the ML programming language, preferably
>Standard ML of New Jersey, for the Amiga?

Ralph> I'm sure that it wouldn't be too much of a hassle getting it to go
Ralph> on the Amiga (especially with GCC).

Are you volunteering?  ;^) Parts of the source (especially exception
handling) are very UNIX specific.  I'd expect the port to require nearly as
much effort as was required to port GNU emacs, not a trivial chore indeed.

Ralph>  One major problem is getting the whole thing onto your Amiga.  SML
Ralph> WILL NOT work on a machine without a hard drive.  Let's see.  SML in
Ralph> total on one of our Sun 4s takes up about 40 megs of disk space.

Oh, I don't know about that.  The actual raw executable (no pre-loaded
libraries) is less than 800KB.  Of course, swapping floppies to get enough
MB of the libraries loaded to do anything useful would be a bit tedious.
:-)

Ralph> Not exactly peanuts.  If somebody is willing to loan me a 600 meg
Ralph> drive (permanently 8-), I'll work on the port (greed does have its
Ralph> nice points 8-)

How about 48 floppies?  :-)
--
Chuck Phillips  MS440
NCR Microelectronics 			chuck.phillips%ftcollins.ncr.com

hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de (Georg Hessmann) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct26.064049.225@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>In article <15710@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> weebersa@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Steve Weeber) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a version of the ML programming language, preferably
>>Standard ML of New Jersey, for the Amiga?
>
>I'm sure that it wouldn't be too much of a hassle getting it to go on the
>Amiga (especially with GCC).  One major problem is getting the whole thing
>onto your Amiga.  SML WILL NOT work on a machine without a hard drive.
[...]

That's not korrekt!

I have compiled an older version of Edinburgh's SML (with gcc:-).
The program has a size of about 70kB and the export-file about 500kB.
You can work with that SML, if you have at least 600kB RAM in one block
free.

	Georg.

--
  hessmann@unipas.fmi.uni-passau.de		hessmann@unipas.uucp