[comp.sys.amiga] MRbackup 4.0b

yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) (10/08/90)

I got MRbackup 4.0b when it came out (some time ago), fiddled with it long
enough to get the colors set the way I wanted them, and didn't mess with it
again.  Then yesterday, I get to thinking that I should back up my hard disk.
the only backup utility I had around was MRbackup, so I decided to give it a
whirl.

It seemed to work very well.  I checked the disks after the backup was
complete, and noticed that a few .info files were missing.  Odd, I thought,
but not a problem.  I used the Utilities tool to decompress a few of the
archived files to RAM:, and they seemed okay.

Then I made the bad boo-boo.  Now that I had my backup, I decided that, since
my drive was very badly fragmented, I would format/restore it to clean it up.
I did this, and again, MRbackup seemed to work fine.  I noticed that the
drive had considerably less on it than it did before, though (down from 47%
full to 40% full...).  Everything seemed to be there, though, so I was a bit
confused.  I wandered about the disk, running the programs, until I started
to run across file after file that was incorrectly restored.  MRbackup had a
bad copy of these files (in compressed form) on its backup set.  All in all,
I've found about 10 programs/data files that were munged (so far).  Most are
easily recoverable...

Has anyone else found these bugs in this program?  Has there been a
subsequent release of MRbackup?  I had been planning to send in the shareware
fee if it worked well.

Thanks for listening to a rather long-winded little letter,

-ken
--
         Ken Yarnall                 ///   yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.EDU
          Math Department, USC   \\\///   yarnall@ucseast.UUCP

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct8.024128.4481@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:
=-
=-to run across file after file that was incorrectly restored.  MRbackup had a
=-bad copy of these files (in compressed form) on its backup set.  All in all,
=-I've found about 10 programs/data files that were munged (so far).  Most are
=-easily recoverable...
=-
=-Has anyone else found these bugs in this program?  Has there been a

	Yes, I got bitten really badly by this.  A couple of weeks ago I lost
nearly all of about 10Mb of SHAM ILBM files after reformatting to fix a hard
disk problem.  Previous versions of MRBackup worked reliably for me, but Mark
seems to have introduced a really nasty bug in this one.

sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk) (10/21/90)

In article <1990Oct8.024128.4481@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu> yarnall@opusc.csd.scarolina.edu (Ken Yarnall) writes:

> I got MRbackup 4.0b when it came out (some time ago), fiddled with it long
> enough to get the colors set the way I wanted them, and didn't mess with it
> again.
>
> Then I made the bad boo-boo.  Now that I had my backup, I decided that, since
> my drive was very badly fragmented, I would format/restore it to clean it up.
> I did this, and again, MRbackup seemed to work fine.  I noticed that the
> drive had considerably less on it than it did before, though (down from 47%
> full to 40% full...).  Everything seemed to be there, though, so I was a bit
> confused.  I wandered about the disk, running the programs, until I started
> to run across file after file that was incorrectly restored.  MRbackup had a
> bad copy of these files (in compressed form) on its backup set.  All in all,
> I've found about 10 programs/data files that were munged (so far).  Most are
> easily recoverable...

I noticed this problem shortly after MRBackup v4.0b was released, and
reported it to the author, Mr. Mark Rinfret.  I posted a warning about
this to this newsgroup some time ago.  I am in the process of
beta testing a new version of MRBackup which is claimed to fix the
problem.

--
Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation

aduncan@rhea.trl.oz (Allan Duncan) (10/26/90)

From article <SDL.90Oct20153720@lyra.linus.mitre.org>, by sdl@linus.mitre.org (Steven D. Litvinchouk):
> I noticed this problem shortly after MRBackup v4.0b was released, and
> reported it to the author, Mr. Mark Rinfret.  I posted a warning about
> this to this newsgroup some time ago.  I am in the process of
> beta testing a new version of MRBackup which is claimed to fix the
> problem.

I have been using it w/o compression, but find that I get a guru between
the "Backup Completed" and "Idle" messages.  It doesn't always happen,
I've tried to nail the conditions where it does w/o success.

Anyone in NTSC land have the problem, or is this some subtle PAL problem
(others here using the same executable have the same problem, so it is
not my particular configuration)?

Allan Duncan	ACSnet	a.duncan@trl.oz
(03) 541 6708	ARPA	a.duncan%trl.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
		UUCP	{uunet,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trl.oz!a.duncan
Telecom Research Labs, PO Box 249, Clayton, Victoria, 3168, Australia.

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (10/30/90)

[]

1. I did a restore from an old MRBackup archive and it worked fine - EXCEPT
it GURUed upon completion.

2. During a Backup operation (or was it a Restore, I don't remember),
the bytes output seemed to have two other fields over/underlaid on the
field.  I couldn't tell what these fields were, but they mixed in with
the actual bytes output field on either end.  This showed up after about
5 or 10 Meg of data had been processed.

BTW, if there is a fixed version that reliably compresses and decompresses,
please let me know.  Thanks.

                                     Jim

--

                                                Jim Pritchett

UUCP:  texsun.central.sun.com!letni!rwsys!caleb!jdp
 or    letni.lonestar.org!dms3b1!caleb!jdp