[comp.sys.amiga] Some Questions.

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (03/08/88)

Some questions:

1) Does anyone know of a tape drive to use for hard disk backups. I have an
   ST-251 drive (41 meg), using CCS program 'Quarteback'. It works fine but
   I'm a little tired of the floppy shuffle (already I'm up to 10 diskettes
   for 1100+ files totaling about 9 meg). Supposedly you can hook up a SCSI
   drive to the controller (say one of the MAC-type units). Has anyone done
   so? Please give some details and experience.

2) Has anyone put ARP successfully onto a hard drive system? Does it also
   have to be on the boot floppy? My startup-sequence on df0: has just
   enough info to get the hard disk going (Binddrivers,FastMemFirst, cd DH0:,
   execute DH0:s/HD-Startup). HD-Startup is my startup exec to get me in
   my environment (GOMF, ConMan, does ASSIGNs, etc.).

   The problem I have is that it gives funny reactions (I can't give exact
   examples at the moment since I can't remember them), but it's a shame
   because I did use it when I only had floppies, and It worked fine then,
   but not since the installation of the Seagate.

3) Can anyone give suggestions on a GOOD terminal program...one that will
   support all of the following:
          -- VT100 emulation
          -- Interlace mode
          -- Mucho download protocols
          -- Resetable screen colors
   I'm kind of tired of switching back and forth between COMM 1.34 and
   VT100 v2.8 (which I only use on one service, PORTAL).

   All help is appreciated.

                                                    Larry Greenwald
UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
   WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
   OH SHUT UP! You bubble-headed booby!!!
                          -- Dr. Zachary Smith, forever "Lost in Space"

devilbis@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Vilbiss Warren C De) (03/09/88)

In article <2647@crash.cts.com> lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
>Some questions:

>3) Can anyone give suggestions on a GOOD terminal program...one that will
>   support all of the following:
>          -- VT100 emulation
>          -- Interlace mode
>          -- Mucho download protocols
>          -- Resetable screen colors
>   I'm kind of tired of switching back and forth between COMM 1.34 and
>   VT100 v2.8 (which I only use on one service, PORTAL).
>
>   All help is appreciated.
>
>                                                    Larry Greenwald
Well, I'm pretty happy with HandShake version 1.60b.  As far as I know, it's
the ONLY Share-Ware VT100 emulator which handles just about ALL of a VT100's
functions, including VT52 mode, double high/double wide text, 132 columns, etc.
It DOES support interlace mode, in a couple of different ways, all of which are
selectable and changeable after the program has been started; a half-height
interlace screen (24 lines), so you can see your terminal screen while you are
doing CLI or other stuff, a 48-line interlaced mode (works nice with EVE on
the VAX, letting you do on-screen editing with a 48-line view of your file!),
and a "setlace" mode, which just turns on the interlace mode to get rid of the
gaps between the character scan rows & make your screen jiggle :-).  It doesn't
have resettable screen colors per se, but it *does* copy your current workbench
colors when it creates its screen (660 pixels wide, to allow true 132 col's).
Also, it supports Xmodem, Xmodem/CRC, Ymodem, Ymodem Batch, and 3 variations on
Kermit (7 bit, 8 bit, and I forget the 3rd one...)  Alas, no WXmodem or ZModem,
at least not yet.  You should be able to find a copy of it around on your
garden variety local BBS (or, come to think of it, it may have been posted in
comp.binaries.amiga recently).  Anyhow, the author has done a superb job with
his upgrades so far, but I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't sent in my share-
ware contribution yet on THAT program (but I will soon!  Promise!!!).
  - Mike Shawaluk
  (Thanks, Warren, for letting me post this.)

melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) (08/09/88)

I. I'm looking to buy a hard drive for my Amiga 500 & I have a few
   questions:

1) What are the differences in SCSI controllers: C-LTD vs. Supra ?

   a) speed?

   b) cost?

   c) bad block handling?

   d) auto-booting under 1.4? with a 14 Mhz 68000 w/ auto-boot ram?

   e) any other relevant information

2) Where can I get either/both controllers? How much will it cost?

3) Does anyone have any experience using either controller with a
   Seagate ST277N 65 meg Hard Drive? With any other Seagate SCSI drive?

II. Also I have some other questions:

1) Will an A501 and the 1.4 chip set provide 1 meg of chip ram, or will
   another ram upgrade be neccessary?

2) Will you be able to simultaneously use the new 1008x800 monochrome
   monitor with a 2002/1080/1084?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me with,

Ofer Melnik

P.S. If anyone's interested in a 65 meg/40 ms SCSI hard drive for $700,
     complete with case & power supply, write me & I'll tell you where
     you can get one.

---
Ofer Melnik
melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (07/06/89)

     I have a few questions, and rather than post them all the time, I
 collected them up and will bother you guys just once.

     I'm not quite sure what the difference is between Commodore's
 standard RUn command, ARP's RUN and ARun, and RunBack.  They all
 *SEEM* to do the same thing ...

     I had started writing a 6502 emulator a while back, but it was put
 on the back burner.  I thought that there was one available, hopefully
 with source, on an old Fish disk.  I couldn't find it if it indeed
 exists.  If anyone knows of what I speak, I'd appreciate help tracking
 down the code.

     I'd like to get my hands on Dhrystones source.

     I am using Transformer 1.1 and can't seem to get it to use color.
 I use setatprefs to enable color, but it doesn't work.  What am I doing
 wrong?  Also, I noticed, that tetris (the PD version) doesn't seem to
 work quite perfectly with the Trasnformer.  It won't go into 40
 collumns mode, like it should.  Is there anything I can do about that?
 (Besides buying a bridge board ;-)

     Is it at all possible for DNet to be ported to Prime or CMS?
 My University does have Unix machines, they just don't let us USE them!

     Speaking of Unix, I don't know if anyone realizes how alianated
 us non-Unix users feel.  Trillions of Unix references that make
 absolutely no sence to me.  "I just ported the GSLOP utility from
 Unix!  It supports the WOGMOFF, GLIZ, *AND* SCROB options!"  I feel
 like I am missing something.

     New project of my Amiga!  CMS simulator!  Sorda like a Dir Util,
 only instead of ... ok, nevermind ... bad idea.

     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

               "There is no Dark Side of the Moon...
                                     in fact it is all dark."          */

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (07/06/89)

In article <19043@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

>     Speaking of Unix, I don't know if anyone realizes how alianated
> us non-Unix users feel.  Trillions of Unix references that make
> absolutely no sence to me.  "I just ported the GSLOP utility from
> Unix!  It supports the WOGMOFF, GLIZ, *AND* SCROB options!"  I feel
> like I am missing something.

On a personal level, I feel for you, so don't take this wrong, but:

Sure, you *are* missing something. The most widely agreed handy thing
about UNIX is all those GSLOP utilities, although there are other things.

But take heart, GSLOP and its buddies have been reimplemented on most
machines known to man, so just list all those utilities you never heard
of, and get them for your machine at work.

Better yet, get them for your Amiga, which has (once you've gotten
these utilities) many of the advantages of Unix.

Also, UNIX itself is available for many (high end) home computers, soon to
include the Amiga 2500.
	Doug
P.S. Besides utilities, the next two most-often-mentioned-as-useful
Unix features are pipes and ksh/csh/sh/etc ("shells": user selectable command
line interpreters), and both are available in some mutated form for the Amiga.

P.P.S. The GLIZ and SCROB options are mutually exclusive. :-)
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

protcoop@bnr-public.uucp (Co-op Student) (07/06/89)

Does ARP's include a 'RUN' program?  I thought they just supplied ARUN
and RUNBACK.  Anyway, here is my experience with them.  It appears to
me that there is a difference between RUN and ARUN.  In the standard
1.3 startup-sequence there is a line like this:
RUN EXECUTE S:STARTUPII
which executes the 'STARTUPII' script, waits for it to signal that it
is done, then continues.  I replaced RUN with ARUN and the system
hung there on boot-up.  I waited about 30 seconds and hit ^C which
caused the system to continue on as normal.  Anyone know why?  I sure
don't.  Obviously though, there is a difference.  I am not sure if my
RUN was C='s or ARP's.  If there is an ARPs RUN then that is what it
was since I answered 'yes' to all of the installation questions.
	RUNBACK is a bit different than these.  Try this, open two shells
on the screen.  In one type 'RUN SYS:prefs/preferences' (or use ARUN).
In the other type 'RUNBACK SYS:prefs/preferences'.  Now type ENDCLI
in each window.  The RUNBACK CLI will close but the RUN (ARUN) one
will not.  That is the difference, RUNBACK detaches the program
entirely from the CLI, but RUN (ARUN) does not, so you cannot close
the CLI until the program stops.
	Oh, I have a question too ... I have the ARP installation program
and I am looking for more than this.  I believe there is more is there
not?  More documentation and what not, especially for programmers.
Where can I send to to get the ARP release disk?
Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

martens@ketch.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (07/06/89)

In article <419@xdos.UUCP> doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) writes:

>P.P.S. The GLIZ and SCROB options are mutually exclusive. :-)

Are you sure?  Consider:

gslob -Gliz -Scrob 2>/dev/null | /usr/games/hangman
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

Anyone thinking politicians actually have something to do need only
look into the amount of time being spent on the flag-burning "issue."

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (07/06/89)

In article <19043@louie.udel.EDU>, OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) says:
>     Is it at all possible for DNet to be ported to Prime or CMS?
> My University does have Unix machines, they just don't let us USE them!

 Yes, but  only with great difficulty.  Don't hold your breath.

>     Speaking of Unix, I don't know if anyone realizes how alianated
> us non-Unix users feel.  Trillions of Unix references that make

  There are two reasons for this.  First, UseNet was originally a Unix
based network, so there is still a high proportion of Unix users here.
Second, the Amiga is more Unix-like than it is CMS-like.  The Lattice
C compiler is nearly Unix compatible, for example.  The CMS C compiler
isn't even CMS compatible 8-).

Get a good book on Unix and take a look.  This'll help clue you in.

In <19043@louie.udel.EDU>, OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>     Is it at all possible for DNet to be ported to Prime or CMS?
> My University does have Unix machines, they just don't let us USE them!

Saving the best for themselves are they?

>     Speaking of Unix, I don't know if anyone realizes how alianated
> us non-Unix users feel.  Trillions of Unix references that make
> absolutely no sence to me.  "I just ported the GSLOP utility from
> Unix!  It supports the WOGMOFF, GLIZ, *AND* SCROB options!"  I feel
> like I am missing something.

Well, you aren't missing much. GSLOP is pretty obscure and hard to use, and
NOBODY who uses it would even consider using the GLIZ or SCROB options. The
WOGMOFF option is the only thing worthwhile, and that is handled better by
using:

frap | WOG | MOFF -f | weez >>/dev/gnarf

So don't worry about it.

:-)

-larry

--
Van Roy's Law:  An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |

Doug Merritt mentions "ksh/csh/sh/...." ...

Let's not forget the latest from the FSF GNU Project:

       BASH  - Bourne Again SHell

which, from the docs (haven't compiled it yet) appears to be the GNU superset
of the POSIX "flavor" of ksh; POSIX is the IEEE standards stuff.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

rang@paris.ics.uci.edu (Roger Penaranda Jr. Ang) (03/27/90)

(I know one of these is a hardware question, but I don't get c.s.a.hardware)

1. (one more time) Whatever happened to the Panasonic JU-3511 drive.  This was
am 11meg floppy drive. It sounds similar to the Bernoulli drive I read about
in a magazine.  I am interested in these large-capacity removable-disk drives,
such as the 20meg Bernoulli and the 44meg Sysquest, but at a price of $1300
(oooch ouch) I don't think I'll be able to touch these things for a while.
So, has anyone seen any relatively affordable removeable-disk drives with
capacities of >couple of megs?  Anyone?  Anyone,pleeeeease?

2. I've heard of a game called Street Fighter available for the Amiga in
Europe.  Is this the port of the arcade game?  Is it available in the U.S.?

3. Another game I'm interested in finding is the Amiga version of the PC title
'MechWarrior'.  It is of the genre of fighting giant robot games like
BattleTech and the PD BattleForce, but it has a 'cockpit' view of combat (i.e.
same view as that of all those flight simulators).  The PC version was by
Activision.  Have they ported it to the Amiga?  Is there another Amiga title
that is similar?

					Thanx in advance,
                                        Roger P. Ang (rang@ICS.UCI.EDU)
Irvine? Where's Irvine?                 a poor Grad student at the
In the heart of the Orange Curtain.     Dept. of Information & Computer Sci.
Oh no! The poor fool.                   Univ. of California, Irvine.

cl3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chee Lee) (10/27/90)

Can anyone please tell me:

1)	Is C.A.T. an independent association or Commodore independent?  And
what is its main function?

2)	There is another association called the Amiga Developers Association.
 Sounds like another support group for the Amiga.  What is the address
for it and who should I write to?

Thanks!

-William
"Where then do you expect to find security, if apart from the will of God?"
					- Elizabeth Elliot
      ///
     ///
 \\\///  Make Up Your Own Mind . . . Amiga.
  \XX/
\\\LCL///

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (10/29/90)

In article <ob__=d200Voz0HU0VH@andrew.cmu.edu> cl3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Chee Lee) writes:

>1)	Is C.A.T. an independent association or Commodore independent?  And
>what is its main function?

CATS = Commodore Applications and Technical Support.  Our mission is
to improve the quantity and quality of software on the Amiga and to
try to make sure that key software is available.  Most references on
this net deal with developer support.  We provide phone support (to
qualified developers), electronic support, documentation and example
code.  We have people that organize developers conferences, handle
orders and registration, create standards, write documentation,
create technical and marketing newsletters, and more!  We are part
of CBM (the U.S. sales company.)
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

abair@olympic.sps.mot.com (Alan Bair) (10/31/90)

In the past few months there were some questions about Autodocs, etc.
for 2.0 and it was indicated that they were not ready yet, but that CATS
would post more information when it was available.  I understand the 1.3
package went for about $20.00.

What I would like to have cleared up, is who can get the Autodocs package?
Do you have to be a developer and if yes, what does it cost and what do
you get for being registered?  I seem to remember mention on the net about
a year ago that there was some sort of newsletter and other packages that
came with being registered.

Thanks for any information and please keep us informed about any new
releases from CATS.
--
Alan Bair                 SSDT (formerly SPS CAD)
Motorola, Inc.            Logic Simulation & Test