[comp.sys.amiga] Kickstart 2.02

In <1938@nemesis.stsci.edu>, scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) writes:
>C= just announced they've shipped a new kickstart.
>
>Boy, it's news to the C= dealer's here.  They haven't a clue
>what I'm talking about.

So get on the dealer's case.

>I've never been so frustrated.  I love the A3000 I bought BUT.
>
>1.  An bug-free operating system has not been delivered for the
>       product.

Has a bug-free OS been delivered for _ANY_ system? Think about it.
The 3000 has as bug-free an OS as any A500, A1000, or A2000. It has an
additional OS that has, at this time, a few more bugs than the one in common
with the rest of the line.

>2.  A promised peice of software has not been delivered (AmigaVision).

But it has been (and is being) delivered. Witness the postings from various
folks saying so. Should we assume that they are lying?

>3.  Now they announce that a helpful update to the OS is available
>       as yet another stop-gap measure till the real OS is available
>       and I can't get it because the dealer's haven't been told
>       anything.

As pointed out above, the 'real OS' is available now. If you don't like having
a 'stop-gap' while awaiting 2.0, use 1.3. As for the dealers you are speaking
of, get them off their butts and talking to Commodore. It is common for dealers
not to know what is happening, but it is not common among the dealers who I
consider good.

>This is not good business practice.  Yes, it's a great machine.
>Yes it has good, smart, consumers (vis-a-vis USENET postings -
>for the most part)....but I would no longer recommend the 3000
>over the Mac here at work.  C=, get  it together.

That's your privilege, of course, but you might consider placing the blame
where it lies.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) (10/26/90)

C= just announced they've shipped a new kickstart.

Boy, it's news to the C= dealer's here.  They haven't a clue
what I'm talking about.

I've never been so frustrated.  I love the A3000 I bought BUT.

1.  An bug-free operating system has not been delivered for the
       product.
2.  A promised peice of software has not been delivered (AmigaVision).
3.  Now they announce that a helpful update to the OS is available
       as yet another stop-gap measure till the real OS is available
       and I can't get it because the dealer's haven't been told
       anything.

This is not good business practice.  Yes, it's a great machine.
Yes it has good, smart, consumers (vis-a-vis USENET postings -
for the most part)....but I would no longer recommend the 3000
over the Mac here at work.  C=, get  it together.

andrewsr@romulus.rutgers.edu (Rich Andrews) (10/26/90)

I wonder if someone who has a copy could EMail you one.  Considering
that it is a free upgrade and can only work on 3000's anyway, why not?
(Heck, why not just post it to abcdf.. C=?  It would really make you
guys look good!

-Rich
--
  // Rich    | "Like any good philosophical discussion, the   |    //
\X/  Andrews |  conclusion is left unresolved." -McLaughlin   |  \X/

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John 'Vlad' Adams) (10/26/90)

Yo!  Grab a CO2 fire extinguisher and soak yer butt with it!

Come on!  If you read comp.sys.amiga.{hardware,tech,general},
you would have been fully aware that the early 3000s are not
quite perfect yet.  Hence the Kickstart on DISK and the 1.3/2.0
duality.  Why did you buy a machine which was known to
still not be fully ready?????

Let's talk about Mac OS 6.x if you want to start flaming.
Tell you what.  I'll buy your 3000 for a 1000.
--
John  M.  Adams    --**--    Professional Student on the six-year plan!     ///
Internet:   jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu   -or-   vladimir@maple.circa.ufl.edu    ///

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (10/26/90)

     Interesting.... I bought my A3000 on Oct 10th, and I have had no problems
with the operating system, I have the 2.02 upgrade already installed, and I
was shipped AmigaVision in the box with the machine!  What gives, Commodore?
Take care of previous obligations before taking on new ones.

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "Beggars   can't |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | be users.   Just |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    | give me the damn |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      | disk, willya?"   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |   -"Grendel" Roe |

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (10/26/90)

I got my upgrade to 2.02 from my dealer! In fact my dealer called me
to tell me it was in. Don't flame commodore for a problem with the dealer.

Amiga@walt.utexas.edu	                   .....Paul......

I like boats, their healthier than valium.
					Cost more tho.

cr1@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Anubis) (10/26/90)

Good idea!  Hey commodore, Post kickstart 2.02 to an ftp site!  Save
me from driving 4 hours to get the thing!

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=That is not dead which may eternal lie-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
*     Christoper Roth                         *  "Machines have no

scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) writes:

>C= just announced they've shipped a new kickstart.
>I've never been so frustrated.  I love the A3000 I bought BUT.

>1.  An bug-free operating system has not been delivered for the
>       product.
>2.  A promised peice of software has not been delivered (AmigaVision).
>3.  Now they announce that a helpful update to the OS is available
>       as yet another stop-gap measure till the real OS is available
>       and I can't get it because the dealer's haven't been told
>       anything.

>This is not good business practice.  Yes, it's a great machine.

Well, you have to expect that when you buy a new design. This
is true for computers as well as first-year-model cars. A new design will
almost always have some flaws and wrinkles that will get ironed out over
time. If you only want a totally stable product, wait till the design has
been on the market for about a year and all [well, most] of the wrinkles
have been ironed out. You may have more problems when buying a new design
[insert product here], but you do get the advantage of using it sooner than
waiting till it stablizes.

I am actually surprized at how stable the Amiga 3000 hardware has been.
If anyone remembers all the revisions the Amiga 2000 has went through since
it's release, you have to really applaud Dave Haynie and the rest of the
hardware crew on a job well done.
--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (10/31/90)

In article <3434@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>scott@stsci.EDU (Jim Scott) writes:
>
>>C= just announced they've shipped a new kickstart.
>>I've never been so frustrated.  I love the A3000 I bought BUT.
>
>>1.  An bug-free operating system has not been delivered for the
>>       product.
>>2.  A promised peice of software has not been delivered (AmigaVision).
>>3.  Now they announce that a helpful update to the OS is available
>>       as yet another stop-gap measure till the real OS is available
>>       and I can't get it because the dealer's haven't been told
>>       anything.
>
>>This is not good business practice.  Yes, it's a great machine.

     If IBM, Digital, Apple, Microsoft (the list goes on and on...) can
do it then Commodore is OBLIGED to do it so that the system can grow and
expand, I don't see what your problem is, this is a regular part of any
computing experience on a large mainframe.  The problems you describe all
exist on other compuer platforms, take a look around.  VMS is not bug
free...  VAXC is not bug free either.  Apple has delayed shipping 7.0.

                                          --George