[comp.sys.amiga] Super Amiga

aa377@cleveland.freenet.edu (Ken Kopin) (10/27/90)

   Ok, people. Here's a question for you. What is the Fastest
Amiga configuration available today? For someone who is spending
someone elses money, and want's to be able to do LOTS of
Ray-Tracing.

                                 Ken Kopin

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/29/90)

The fastest Amiga I've seen was a 2000 with a GVP 3001+ 50 MHz 68030/68882
which ran 15 MIPS. At the store where I work, GVP demoed it. We ran SCULPT4D
on that machine and a 25 MHz A3000, rendering that well-known pic of the
chrome apple and the block letters spelling AMIGA. The 2000 finished the
rendering (we ran it with Show Progress) when the 3000 was about 2/3 done.

That's the fastest Amiga I've seen...

The 3001+ with 50 MHz 68030/68882 is roughly $6000...that includes a hard
drive and a lot of 32-bit RAM...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Yeo-Hoon BAE) (10/30/90)

>That's the fastest Amiga I've seen...
>
>The 3001+ with 50 MHz 68030/68882 is roughly $6000...that includes a hard
>drive and a lot of 32-bit RAM...
>                                                --Rick Wrigley
>                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

Not true. That was the price when it first came out. From Amiga World's
mail order price, they now cost ~$2600 for 4Megs RAM, no HD. The
difference will more than make up for the missing HD and more memory.

* Yeo-Hoon Bae                                             *  Amiga   /// *
* Dept. Computer Science, McGill University.               *   2000  ///  *
* tinyguy@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca, tinyguy@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca *     \\\///   *
* Amiga2000 + 3MB + 48MB HD + KX-P1124 + DiamondScan       *      \XX/    *

lindblad@cc.helsinki.fi (10/31/90)

>    Ok, people. Here's a question for you. What is the Fastest
> Amiga configuration available today? For someone who is spending
> someone elses money, and want's to be able to do LOTS of
> Ray-Tracing.
>
>                                  Ken Kopin

Well, today the fastest Amigas are those with 50 MHz 68030, 60 MHz 68882 and
lots of memory and fast hard disk. 68040 systems will be faster but those won't
be available until Motorola solves the final problems with the processor.

jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) (10/31/90)

aa377@cleveland.freenet.edu (Ken Kopin) writes:

>   Ok, people. Here's a question for you. What is the Fastest
>Amiga configuration available today? For someone who is spending
>someone elses money, and want's to be able to do LOTS of
>Ray-Tracing.
>
>                                 Ken Kopin

  50mhz GVP 68030/882. When available, 25mhz 68040s (GVP and others).

  John

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (10/31/90)

In article <5361@crash.cts.com> jcs@crash.cts.com (John Schultz) writes:
>aa377@cleveland.freenet.edu (Ken Kopin) writes:
>>...Here's a question for you. What is the Fastest
>>Amiga configuration available today?...
>
>  50mhz GVP 68030/882. When available, 25mhz 68040s (GVP and others).

Note that in the long run, a 3000 with a fast accellerator card will
most likely be much faster than a 2000 with a fast accellerator card
due to the architectural improvements of the 3000.  I don't believe
that any accellerator cards are currently available for the 3000.
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky