[comp.sys.amiga] DPaint III help!?

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) (10/24/90)

Hi!  This is a posting for a friend (who has no net access-- all responses
  can be sent to me.)
They just bought an A2000 educational discount package two months ago,
and just recently bought DeluxePaint III.  However, when they try to
use it, they can't do animation.
  On the intro screen, when you choose your screen/color options, in the
lower left corner where it usually has the "SWAP  ALL" options, there is
nothing.
  Sometimes when I run DPIII and my memory is low, it likewise doesn't
give me the option SWAP ALL.  Both when that happens to me and when it
happened to them, the animation menu become unselectable ghost-type.
  The trick is, they should have memory to burn.  After boot-up, they
can't get the animation menu even with 750,00K free, nothing unusual
running, in a new A2000 with 1 meg internal (all of it chip ram because
of the fatter agnus).  So... is there a problem with their machine (i.e.
it's warrenty time) or is DPIII not fat agnus compatible or what?
                        thanks,          sandy
------------
Sandy Antunes   "the Waupelani Kid" 'cause that's where I live...
antunes@ASTROD.psu.edu                 Penn State Astronomy Dept
------------        "que sera c'est la via"         -------------

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (10/25/90)

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Sandy Antunes) writes:

>Hi!  This is a posting for a friend (who has no net access-- all responses
>  can be sent to me.)

[ Regarding DPaint III Animation not working ]

>  The trick is, they should have memory to burn.  After boot-up, they
>can't get the animation menu even with 750,00K free, nothing unusual
>running, in a new A2000 with 1 meg internal (all of it chip ram because
>of the fatter agnus).  So... is there a problem with their machine (i.e.
>it's warrenty time) or is DPIII not fat agnus compatible or what?

   Ah yes, this one has bitten a lot of people, including myself.

   This is a rather famous bug in the early versions of Deluxe Paint
III. The program is not responding well to the 1-Meg chip ram as the
program was first developed right at the release of the new chip; (the
author apparantely didnt check for it).  Deluxe Paint III thinks there
is not enough free memory (which of course there IS enough), so it
ghosts out several of the menus.

   The solution is to contact your dealer and ask him to get you the newest
version (should be absolutely free).  If they wont do it, Electronic Arts
will send you the upgrade for free by calling the 1-800 number listed in
the manual.  The new version works perfectly.

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

gandalf@buhub.UUCP (10/26/90)

I had read in a magazine a while back that there was some sort of problem
with DP3 working with the new Agnus chip and only 1 meg of ram.  I think
it said if you had more than 1 meg it would work fine.

Gandalf

R38@psuvm.psu.edu (Marc Rifkin) (11/01/90)

If you have 1 MEG of chip RAM (new Agnus) and no expansion RAM, DPaint's
Anim functions will not operate (menus ghosted).  There is a new version
of DP III (an upgrade) that fixes that insect.  Of course you could
buy some expansion RAM...  B-)

Esoterically,
Marc Rifkin
r38@psuvm