[comp.sys.amiga] Question on Siemens

myb100@csc.anu.oz.au (11/01/90)

In article <35085@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, AAW151%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (Andy Patrizio) writes:
> I don't know how well this will go over on the net, but here goes:
>
> A friend of mine has just written a shell for Coherent, a new version of
> UNIX you may have seen advertised in Byte. Coherent's publisher, Mark
> Williams Co., was very impressed with the shell, and has recommended him
> to a German company called Siemens, which is interested in his product.
> So to all you German readers, what can you tell me about this company?
> Neither of us is familiar with it, but the name rings a bell...

Well, they're the 5th largest company in the world (employee #-wise), with
offices on every continent (barring Antarctica), and about 1/2 million
employees. They're ~100 years old. Their interests are anything that
uses electrons :-) They build everything from electric kettles up to
complete power stations, computer equipment (I believe). They own a
large share of Bosch (work tools, kitchen appliances...). They are
also heavily involved in telecommunications, building PABXs,
developing ISDN systems, fiber optics, ... etc. They also contributed
a large part to the giant light towers on VFL park in Melbourne, Australia.
They also work with railway signalling networks on the Deutsche Bundesbahn
(German railways).....and many other things I've read about somewhere but
forgotten.

Basically - they're very big and very rich ! Oh, and my Father has worked for
them in Australia for the last 25 years :-)

> Thanks much.
No worries

>  itnet: aaw151@uriacc.bitnet                       |  Andy Patrzio

 Markus Buchhorn                                           ///  | This space
 Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra     ///   |
 PMB Weston Ck. P.O. A.C.T. 2611, Australia           \\\///    | intentionally
 markus@mso.anu.oz.au  -or-  nssdca::psi%mssso::markus \XX/     | left blank