[comp.sys.amiga] ARP.library?

In <90302.130151DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu>, DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>     Anybody know how I can get it to run or have arp.library be available
>in some other directory?  Perhaps if I NewZapped the program to look for
>the library in some other directory (say CR:) and put the arp.library commands
>there it would work?  Thanks for any help.

arp.library goes into your LIBS: directory, and does not require that the ARP
commands be loaded into C: (or anywhere else). You might want to consider at
least one of the ARP commands for your C: directory (or any directory asigned
by your PATH). The ARP 'move' command is a marvellous little program, acting
just like you think it should, and even across physical devices, using a
copy/delete, rather than the 'rename' that it does when on the same partition.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (10/30/90)

     Hokay... I just got ahold of a program that looks rather interesting, but
when I try to run it, I get the message "requires arp.library version xx or
higher".  I had no idea what this was.
     Then, I happened to stumble onto AmigaWORLD's review of top 20 PD programs
and lo and behold, there is arp.library, listed as AmigaDOS Replacement
Project.  Now, I don't have a problem with the standard AmigaDOS stuff since
it all seems to work so nicely under WB2.0 on my A3000.  I would like to run
this program, but I don't want to replace my AmigaDOS commands in the C:
directory!  Help!!!
     Anybody know how I can get it to run or have arp.library be available
in some other directory?  Perhaps if I NewZapped the program to look for
the library in some other directory (say CR:) and put the arp.library commands
there it would work?  Thanks for any help.

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "Beggars   can't |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | be users.   Just |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    | give me the damn |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      | disk, willya?"   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |   -"Grendel" Roe |

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (10/30/90)

In article <90302.130151DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>     Hokay... I just got ahold of a program that looks rather interesting, but
>when I try to run it, I get the message "requires arp.library version xx or
>higher".  I had no idea what this was.
>     Then, I happened to stumble onto AmigaWORLD's review of top 20 PD programs
>and lo and behold, there is arp.library, listed as AmigaDOS Replacement
>Project.  Now, I don't have a problem with the standard AmigaDOS stuff since
>it all seems to work so nicely under WB2.0 on my A3000.  I would like to run
>this program, but I don't want to replace my AmigaDOS commands in the C:
>directory!  Help!!!
>     Anybody know how I can get it to run or have arp.library be available
>in some other directory?  Perhaps if I NewZapped the program to look for
>the library in some other directory (say CR:) and put the arp.library commands
>there it would work?  Thanks for any help.

Many applications use the arp.library for the Charlie Heath file requestor in
it. Just get a copy if arp.library (should be on a Fish Disk somewhere. Anyone
know of a downlaodable version?) and copy it to your libs: directory. There's
no need to replace all the standard AmigaDOS files.

>/---------------------------------------------------------------------\
>| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "Beggars   can't |
>| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | be users.   Just |
>| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    | give me the damn |
>| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      | disk, willya?"   |
>| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |   -"Grendel" Roe |
>\---------------------------------------------------------------------/

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@cbmvax

All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | A picture is worth 1000
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | words, or about 300,000

jeh@sisd.kodak.com (Ed Hanway) (11/01/90)

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>     Hokay... I just got ahold of a program that looks rather interesting, but
>when I try to run it, I get the message "requires arp.library version xx or
>higher".  I had no idea what this was.
[...]
>I would like to run
>this program, but I don't want to replace my AmigaDOS commands in the C:
>directory!  Help!!!

No problem.  Just put arp.library in LIBS: and don't touch anything in C:
That way, arp.library will be available for the occasional program that
needs it, but you can keep the standard AmigaDOS commands.

This is a frequent misunderstanding, and it probably results from ARP
really being two things:

     1.	A library of useful support functions (file requester, resource
	tracking, multiprocessing, etc.)

     2.	A set of enhanced replacements for the CLI commands in C:

     3. (ok, three things) A replacement shell program (ASH).

Third-party programs which require arp.library need (1) only.  Nothing
that I know of requires (2) or (3).

--
Ed Hanway   uunet!sisd!jeh
This is not an offer to sell securities.  For off-road use only.  Contains a