[comp.sys.amiga] Educational discounts

ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett) (12/07/86)

}}Oh Commodore...if you only seeded Amigas here at MIT like apple and ibm do,
}}things would really get rolling..... .    MIT sells poor unsuspecting
}}freshmen IBM's and Apples at special discount prices without even informing
}}them of the Amiga and its capability......wanna work out a deal ????
}}Our Amiga group here is already 90 strong, with no incentives at all.
}}                                        A Gradual Student at MIT
}
}Yes! Yes!  Commodore, get your act together.  The largest groups of Amiga
}owners I have seen have been college students.  Get an educational discount
}system going(go for the high schools as well).  It would do more for the
}Amiga than anything else I know.
}					Wonko the Sane

	This would be a fantastic idea!  Commodore, you are losing
lots of prospective student buyers to Apple, here at Hopkins.  The
current offer is something like $1695 for a Mac Plus with Imagewriter II
printer (can you say "below dealer cost"?)  This semester, there have been
at least 2-3 visits from Apple representatives, showing off their
products.
	If Commodore was doing this with the Amiga, I'd buy one today.

  -- Dan

ali@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (12/08/86)

In article <4098@jhunix.UUCP> ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Jay Barrett)
writes:
>}}Oh Commodore...if you only seeded Amigas here at MIT like apple and ibm do,
>}}things would really get rolling..... .    MIT sells poor unsuspecting
>}}freshmen IBM's and Apples at special discount prices without even informing
>}}them of the Amiga and its capability......wanna work out a deal ????
>
>}Yes! Yes!  Commodore, get your act together.  The largest groups of Amiga
>}owners I have seen have been college students.  Get an educational discount
>}system going(go for the high schools as well).
>
>	This would be a fantastic idea!  Commodore, you are losing
>lots of prospective student buyers to Apple, here at Hopkins.

Well, I vote a big YES too! Here at Stanford Apple and IBM are all
over the place. And (as I mentioned in an earlier msg before), there are
educational applications where the Mac and the IBM can't even dream of
competing with the Amiga. (I was talking about use of Amigas in networks
and OS classes, I've got several positive and no negative replies to that
query.) Another area is graphics --- Here at Stanford graduate students
taking CS248, graduate level graphics, use INTERPRETED PASCAL on Macs
to do their graphics assignments. My friend convinced the prof that
she wanted to do the assignments in C on an Amiga, and (although she was
learning C and Amiga at the same time) had an easier time writing the programs
that most of the other students. Not to mention the fact the the programs
on the Amiga ended up being much more spectacular...

I want to see the Amiga in my bookstore! I would personally go hang around
the bookstore just so I could demo off the machine.

Ali Ozer, ali@navajo

wayne@gumby.WISC.EDU (Frederick Wayne) (12/08/86)

agreed in spades.  our microcomputer outlet does a very nice business,
thank you, and they're selling apples and ibms.  even if the prices were
not super-sacrifice low, think of the volume you could build, commodore!
think of the PR!  the loyalty!  it's a whole new distributional channel
already in place, staffed with knowledgable people (here at least), and all
you have to do is provide machines and a little support.

i'd love to see such a program, not simply because i'm cheap, but because
the amiga needs proselityzing (sp?  help, i need an engineer!) and the
universities are great places to do it.

not to mention a bit of prestige in the marketplace.  i'll bet there are
quite a few university outlet that sell apple and IBM...and i'd like to see
that pair become a trio.

rick

wagner@utcs.UUCP (12/09/86)

Without quoting all the preceeding articles, I just want to point out that
the Amiga is getting little publicity here at UofT either.  There are sweet
deals with IBM and Apple...a little of the same would go a long way.

Michael Wagner (wagner@utcs)

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (12/09/86)

Bah! Humbug!

Although the Apple educational discounts may have put a large number of
Apples into students' hands, I'm not convinced it did Apple any good in
the larger market.  In fact, it raised considerable ire among the general
computing population.  It seemed like almost everyone (students, developers,
teachers, etc) could get a fantastic deal on the Mac while John Q. Public
could walk into his neighborhood computer store and get fantastically
screwed.

Let's just have one pricing policy for everyone.  No more privileged groups.

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (12/10/86)

	Well since everyone else is speaking, you might as well add Rutgers
University to this list.  If there was a rep on campus, and a decent discount
like we have with the Mac(argh!) and the IBM (NO comment!) we would have
a lot more users...

eric@ulysses.UUCP (12/10/86)

The regional Commodore reps just told me that they came back from a very
upbeat meeting with CBM. They are definitly going to be starting an educational
program and are looking to seriously undercut the program currently offered
by Atari (which is something like 25% off)...

Here's hoping,
Eric

--

ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...ulysses!eric

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (12/10/86)

> 	Well since everyone else is speaking, you might as well add  the
University of WI system to this list. Friends of mine would have gone out and
bought amigi, but the zenith (arrrrrrgv) and ibm (again no comment) deals are
sweeter when it comes to student budgets.
--
The views above are those of my keyboard, not my organization.
Dave Rasmussen c/o Computing Services Division @ U of WI - Milwaukee

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (12/10/86)

Let me add my voice to the chorus of people demanding C-A discounts on
campus.  Here at Carnegie-Mellon you can get wonderful deals on IBM
and Apple stuff (I could have bought a MacPlus or a full IBM PC system
for about $1600 each), but Amigas are not to be found anywhere.  We're
moving to a campus network based on workstations (RT's, uVaxen and
Suns), so it really doesn't matter what PC's the computer store
carries.  A student discount would undercut the deals IBM and Apple
are giving, and once people saw the machine they would buy it.

C-A, do you see a pattern emerging?  Maybe you should look at this
wide-open market you've completely ignored until now.

| Mike Portuesi								     |
| Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department		     |
|									     |
| ARPA: mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu						     |
| UUCP: {harvard | seismo | ucbvax | decwrl}!spice.cs.cmu.edu!mjp	     |
|									     |
| "Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"		     |
|			--Laurie Anderson, "Home of the Brave"		     |

ali@navajo.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (12/12/86)

In article <662@ssc-bee.UUCP> eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) writes:
>Although the Apple educational discounts may have put a large number of
>Apples into students' hands, I'm not convinced it did Apple any good in
>the larger market.  In fact, it raised considerable ire among the general
>computing population.  It seemed like almost everyone (students, developers,
>teachers, etc) could get a fantastic deal on the Mac while John Q. Public
>could walk into his neighborhood computer store and get fantastically
>screwed.
>Let's just have one pricing policy for everyone.  No more privileged groups.

I agree. In fact, the Amiga's current price is so good that if it was to
be sold in the campus bookstore WITHOUT any further discounts it still would
look real good beside the Macs and the IBMs WITH discounts. I just wish
Commodore would try to make deals with the schools such that we start seeing
Amigas in the bookstores and labs! I guess when I said "educational discounts"
I really did not mean discounts for students but special arrangements that
would make the Amiga as desirable to the universities as the Mac and the IBM.
As it is, an average student goes to the bookstore to check out the computers,
and is presented with 3 different Macs and 3 different IBMs, and makes his/her
choice between those machines, without even going off campus to see the other
alternatives. After all, the bookstore is giving a discount, right, so
there won't be anything better/more cost effective available outside!

Ali Ozer, ali@navajo.stanford.edu

lachac@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Gerard Lachac) (12/12/86)

In article <662@ssc-bee.UUCP> eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) writes:
>Let's just have one pricing policy for everyone.  No more privileged groups.

	This would be nice if everyone did it.  However if you were a college
student with a small income, and you could get a Mac of IBM package (printer,
etc.) for less than an Amiga package, wouldn't you?  I mean if we are ONLY
talking money, a computer is just like any other computer...

news@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Usenet netnews) (12/19/86)

From: tim@tomcat.Caltech.Edu (Tim Kay)

Let me "n'th" the motion.  Here at Caltech, IBM is dumping FREE AT's.  Apple
is offering very lucrative deals on Mac+'s.  To go with all this stuff,
the Campus Computing Organization is giving out PC peripherals FREE and
the PC people are eating it up like kids in a kid store.  (I am writing this
on my free PC.)  There are also site licenses for many good software
packages like Lattice C, Epsilon (emacs), STSC APL, TeX, etc.

If Amiga offered the machines at a modest discount, I would buy one.  I
would like 4096 colors and a 68000.

Timothy L. Kay				tim@csvax.caltech.edu
Department of Computer Science
Caltech, 256-80
Pasadena, CA  91125

parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) (12/16/89)

	This is my first post, but I think a lot of you may be interested.

BACKGROUND
	I have been in contact with C= ever since the Educom.  I am a
consultant at Oakland U's computer lab and convinced my boss to go see C= at
the Educom.  I've had an A1000 for over four years! (With NO problems!!)
Anyway, I spoke with Dr. Harrison (VP Higher Education) about discounts.
He said they were working on (LIST Price * .62 = Student/University Price).
However, there was nothing formal, yet.  So, I waited and finally couldn't
stand it.  I called Dr. Harrison and said I have to upgrade to a 2000, NOW!
He was willing to go out of his way to see I got what I wanted.  I didn't
do it then hoping the OFFICIAL policy would be sent out soon.
	Two and a half weeks ago I called C= and spoke with Howard Diamond
(VP Marketing).  He said the rumors I heard (the ones I read in c.s.a) were
false and they would be releasing the details to dealers in about a week.  I
pushed my dealer and this is what he came up with today:

THE UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT POLICY

Starts the first of the year?
Student needs proof from University that s/he is a student.
Student needs check made out to Commodore Business Machines.
Student goes to local dealer with the aforementioned peices of paper.
Student tells dealer what package s/he wants.
Dealer tells C= and C= dropships package to dealer.
Student picks up package at dealer.
Student has a wonderful time with the greatest PC ever built. :-)

So what are the packages?????

	A2000 Package				A500 Package
	=============				============
	A2000 CPU				A500 CPU
	A1084 Monitor				A1084 Monitor
	A2010 Internal Drive			A1010 External Drive
 	A2286 AT Bridgeboard			A501 Memory Expansion
	====================			=====================
Total   $ 2109.00 + Tax				$ 799.00 + Tax

My dealer confided that these are about 30% below his cost!!

IN CONCLUSION
	It is coming. It is not what I was hoping for.  But if it sounds good
to anyone in the Metro Detroit Area, the dealer I am referring to is
Slipped Disk.  The owner's name is Jeff Moskow.  Mr. Diamond told him that he
will accept any order from him even though this is not OFFICIAL C= policy.
That means you can be the first in the country to get an educational discount.
As for me, I'm seeing him on Monday to buy a machine that is closer to what I
want, and not the package being offered by Commodore.

				     //
Jeffrey D. Parker		    //		IF Pro = For & Con = Against;
parkerjd@unix.secs.oakland.edu	\\ //		AND Progress = Advancement;
parkerjd@smv.secs.oakland.edu	 \X/		WHAT IS CONGRESS ????

bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) (12/18/89)

In article <299@egrunix.UUCP> parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) writes:

| THE UNOFFICIAL OFFICIAL EDUCATIONAL DISCOUNT POLICY
| ===================================================
|
| So what are the packages?????
|
| 	A2000 Package				A500 Package
| 	=============				============
| 	A2000 CPU				A500 CPU
| 	A1084 Monitor				A1084 Monitor
| 	A2010 Internal Drive			A1010 External Drive
|  	A2286 AT Bridgeboard			A501 Memory Expansion
| 	====================			=====================
| Total   $ 2109.00 + Tax				$ 799.00 + Tax

Now, for those of us who already have some of the above, can components
(e.g. A2286) be bought separately?  Also, excuse my ignorance, but
has an upgrade path 2620 -> 2630, or Amiga 2500 -> 2500UX been
announced?  Thanks!

Regards,

--
Will Bralick                          |  ... when princes think more of
     bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu       |  luxury than of arms, they lose

parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) (12/18/89)

In article <1989Dec17.172125.19318@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu>, bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) writes:
> In article <299@egrunix.UUCP> parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) writes:

    [ package descriptions deleted..If you want them again, email me. ]

> Now, for those of us who already have some of the above, can components
> (e.g. A2286) be bought separately?  Also, excuse my ignorance, but
> has an upgrade path 2620 -> 2630, or Amiga 2500 -> 2500UX been
> announced?  Thanks!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Will Bralick                          |  ... when princes think more of
>      bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu       |  luxury than of arms, they lose
>      bralick@gondor.cs.psu.edu        |  their state.
> with disclaimer;  use disclaimer;     |             - Niccolo Machiavelli

No, this is all my dealer and I could get from Mr. Diamond.  In fact, Diamond
said that Mr. Copperman has not really approved the policy yet.  That is why
I said UNOFFICIALly Official Policy.

If there are any changes after the first of the year, I will be rather upset.
I would have hoped for either an across the board discount, or at least a few
more choices.  All I can figure, C= is trying to get mainly new business by
givin IBM customers the best of both worlds.  It certainly doesn't seem to
do anything for those of us who may not want IBM compatibility.  And there
are quite a few of us from what I gather!!!!

Jeff

sorry I'm not too creative tonight.

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (12/18/89)

In article <303@egrunix.UUCP>, parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) writes:
> In article <1989Dec17.172125.19318@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu>, bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) writes:
> > In article <299@egrunix.UUCP> parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) writes:
> > |
>     [ package descriptions deleted..If you want them again, email me. ]
> >

> No, this is all my dealer and I could get from Mr. Diamond.  In fact, Diamond
> said that Mr. Copperman has not really approved the policy yet.  That is why
> I said UNOFFICIALly Official Policy.
>

> Jeff
>
> sorry I'm not too creative tonight.

What is so frustrating about all of this is that it is still
an UNOFFICIAL policy even though CBM's ad in Academic Computing
stressed that Howard Diamond had pushed through an OFFICIAL
educational discount policy.  The ad even gives an 800 number
to call about ed. discounts.

Whatever CBM decides to do, they should at least tell their
advertising people so that potential customers are not driven
away by  "misstatements."

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax[.bitnet]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) (12/19/89)

Well, I started this and I just received some more information from my dealer
today.  (BTW, I left with a very nice 2000 setup from him.)

The first thing he tells me is that he spoke with Howard Diamond again.
It appears that there will be several different packages from which to choose.
They all will include a monitor, though. Something I don't need.  Evidently,
because me and my dealer pressured him, he gave us what he thought were the
most popular packages.

Jeffrey D. Parker
parkerjd@unix.secs.oakland.edu      // 		Don't crush that dwarf,
parkerjd@vms.secs.oakland.edu      //		Hand ME the pliers.
parker@vela.acs.oakland.edu	 \X/		         Firesign Theater

ken@cbmcats.UUCP (Ken Farinsky) (12/19/89)

In article <1989Dec17.172125.19318@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Will Bralick) writes:
>In article <299@egrunix.UUCP> parkerjd@egrunix.UUCP (Jeffrey D. Parker) writes:
>
>has an upgrade path 2620 -> 2630, or Amiga 2500 -> 2500UX been
>announced?  Thanks!

Amiga Unix and the 2500UX have not been announced as products yet.
Currently they are only technology previews, none have been shipped
to customers.  There are no dates, prices or upgrade policies available.
Ken Farinsky -- CATS               Commodore Business Machines
PHONE 215-431-9421         UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken

dbuchtal@math.lsa.umich.edu (Dave Buchtal) (01/15/90)

I just went to a local Amiga dealer (Slipped Disk of East Lansing)
and they had a professional-looking flier with the Educational
discounts set up on it.  The earlier-quoted prices were listed
($799 for A500+A501+A1010+A1084S, etc.)  Also, they had components
on sale INDIVIDUALLY.  For example, the A2000 cpu was $1186 and
the A1010 was $179.  These deals aren't as good as the packages,
but still better than most mail order places I have seen.  Therefore,
if you have Educational Discount opportunity, you can probably
save yourself some greenbacks.  Yes, Veronica, there is a Santa
Claus!

Dave Buchthal

P.S.  Don't write to me and ask me for more details.  He wasn't
handing out the flier, he just had it on display.  I don't have
other prices handy, but if my dealer knows about it, yours should
too.

Our local dealer just told my user group that CBM is now offering
incredible educational discounts on a lot of Amiga hardware. I
can't remember all the details, so if someone from CBM reads this:
How about posting full details (and any corrections to any mistakes
I make here)

* For $799
Amiga 500, 1 meg of memory
external 3.5 floppy drive
1084 (s?) monitor

* For $1399
Amiga 2000, 1 meg of memory
Standard (XT compatible) Bridgeboard
2  3.5 floppies
1  5.25 floppy
1084 (s?) monitor

There were some other packages announced, including one for the Amiga 2000HD
and 2500/20 and some hardrive for the 500 for $400 (I didn't pay attention to
the brand). I am sorry I didn't get full details last night.

But maybe someone at CBM can post a complete list?
The dealer also did not mention how long these discounts were going to last.
To qualify you have to be a teacher or student (full time student, I believe)

I will post a followup article with complete details when I can get them from
the dealer, unless CBM posts something first.

I think this is a positive step forward for CBM in combating the "infiltration"
of Macs and PC's in our schools. You can't beat those prices with a stick ;-)

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

commike@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Alan Commike ) (01/21/90)

Hi all,

I was just off to my local dealer to try to find out some more about the
educational discounts. This is what i've gotten:

	- Only packages are available to University students:

		- 500 + 512K mem exp. + ext. drive + 1084 				... $799
		- 2000 + 2nd internal floppy + XT bridgeboard + 1084	... $1599
		- 2000 + 40 Meg HD + AT bridgeboard + 1084				... $2579
		- 2500/30 + AT bridgeboard + 1084						... $3679

	- To get any other equipment (the whole commodore line) you must
	  also buy a package. For example:

		- 2630 w/ 2 Meg											... $1429
		- 2091-40 												... $589

	- If you are an "Educational Institution" you could buy any
      of the misc. equipment.

I have with me an order form and, "Terms and Conditions of sale for
educational institions".  I don't have a general terms and conditions for
students and employees. I am questioning if an institution can actually
buy separate components. It does say right on the order form, "Individual
components may only be purchased in conjunction with a system or CPU".

Does anyone have any different or additional information. Their definition
of an Educational Institution is a bit odd.

A) 	Elementary or secondary school (K - 12) accredited by the State Board
	of Education or equiv.

B)	A vocational, technical or post-secondary school accredited by
		1) one of the six regional accrediting agencies of higher ed.
		2) authorized state govt. dept.
		3) or an agency or association recognized by such a dept.

C) Special Ed. schools...

What are the "six regional accrediting agencies of higher education"??
I take this to mean any University. Can anyone elaborate?

On the order form there is a place for an "Authorized Institution
Representative" to sign. But it does not define this. Is this the president
of the University, the head of the department, a faculty member??

Well there you have it. Discounts it seems are only for whole systems, which
leaves out upgrading your current system, without buying a whole new box.
Great for 500 owners, kinda lousy for me and the rest of the 2000 owners.
The deal about instiutions buying individual components, i'm not too sure
about. But the discounts are real!! Oh, and the A2232 Multi-Serial Board
is listed. List $399, disc. $259.

    ...alan

internet: commike@cs.buffalo.edu |
bitnet: commike@sunybcs.BITNET   |
uucp:  ..!{watmath,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!commike
Real-Life: Alan Commike - SUNY @ Buffalo, Buffalo NY

Q: How many computer scientists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: It's undecidable!

sparks@corpane.UUCP (I) write:

>* For $1399
>Amiga 2000, 1 meg of memory
>Standard (XT compatible) Bridgeboard
>2  3.5 floppies
>1  5.25 floppy
>1084 (s?) monitor

OOOPs, my error (acually my dealers error).
The price on this package is $1599.

Sorry for any confusion. But it's still a great deal.

--

commike@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Alan Commike ) writes:

>On the order form there is a place for an "Authorized Institution
>Representative" to sign. But it does not define this. Is this the president
>of the University, the head of the department, a faculty member??

I picked up an application for a friend the other day. The dealer told me
to get the Registrar of my friend's college to sign it. However he just
gave me a photocopy of the application and did not give me the
terms and conditions.

would you mind posting them for me and the others out there who are interested?

What qualifications does the student have to meet?

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406
Death is nature's way of telling you to slow down.

scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Steve Croll) (01/23/90)

Concerning the educational discounts, does anyone know if the packages
can be broken up?  More specifically, I am interested in the 2000HD
package, but I have no use for the AT BridgeBoard.  So far my local
dealer has *zero* information on the discounts.  He does not even know
if they exist (he is not yet a believer in the power of UseNet :-).

If the package composition is firm, are there any restrictions to selling
the AT BridgeBoard (like back to the dealer, or a third party)?  It
would be too bad (for me at least) if there was no way to unload the
BridgeBoard beast; I cannot afford the 2000HD package as it stands now.
I estimate that cutting out the silly BridgeBoard would save at least
$700-$800.

As a side note, I would not be interested in a BridgeBoard even if
someone gave it to me for free.  I have been a proud owner of an Amiga
1000 since 1986, and I have yet to find a need for IBM compatibility.
To me, the BridgeBoard would only be taking up space in the 2000 that
could be used for better things (such as using the 5.25" drive bay for
my 60 meg hard disk that is currently attached to my A1000).

Steve Croll (email: scroll@beach.cis.ufl.edu  home: 904-373-8389)

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (01/23/90)

So commodore apparantly wants to force students to buy 1084's.  I wonder what
they will do when they riot because the can't use the new video modes from
1.4.  Sure you can sell it, but who would buy one?

I'm not eligible for a student discount, although I did buy an A1000 years ago
for over $2000 of grandmas money to meet the IBM requirement of the school :-}

bear@bu-pub.bu.edu (Blair M. Burtan) (01/24/90)

Is it just me or do these discount prices look a lot like
those offered by Montgomery Grant?  Please, let's not start up
the Grey Market thread again.  It's just an observation.
I'm up nights praying that the 3000 comes out before I graduate
in May.

whansen@vsgft1.WV.TEK.COM (Bill Hansen;;63-171;;vsgft1) (02/06/90)

I was going over the educational discount list and I have two questions:

	1) Is there a way to buy the 2500/30 package with 4 Meg of memory?
		(I.E. a fully populated 2500/30?)

	2) Will there be a discount on the UNIX package when released?
   		(This is what I really want to get.)

Any comments from someone at Commodore?

					Bill Hansen
					whansen@vsgft1.WV.TEK.COM

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (02/12/90)

Quick question.

I missed the educational discount discussion (hard to believe, eh?)
so I was wondering if some kind person could MAIL me (not post) the
summary of the policy.  Specifically, I'm wondering what comes with
the systems for those prices.

Thanks,
 Blair
--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

daniel.ervi@canremote.uucp (DANIEL ERVI) (02/16/90)

Well, I was informed yesterday that us Canadians will not receive any
educational discounts.  This means if you live just 1 mile over the
boder, a 2500 will cost you 5500(CDN), but if you live in the states, 1
mile away, you can get the same system with a monitor, and an AT
BridgeCard for about 4500 (CDN).  Does this seem unfair, or is it just
me....

Daniel
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (02/17/90)

In article <90021610511130@masnet.uucp> daniel.ervi@canremote.uucp (DANIEL ERVI) writes:
>Well, I was informed yesterday that us Canadians will not receive any
>educational discounts.  This means if you live just 1 mile over the
>boder, a 2500 will cost you 5500(CDN), but if you live in the states, 1
>mile away, you can get the same system with a monitor, and an AT
>BridgeCard for about 4500 (CDN).  Does this seem unfair, or is it just
>me....

     Is it possible to drive the 2 miles to a dealer in the States, or is the
fact that you are a student in a Canadian school prohibit you from buying?
This is a strange set of events, especially since I read recently that 90% of
Canadians live within 100 miles of the US/Canadian border. This could make
dealers near the border very busy ).

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (02/17/90)

In article <90021610511130@masnet.uucp> (DANIEL ERVI) writes:
>  Does this seem unfair, or is it just me....

It's just you. :-) No really, Commodore Canada and Commodore USA are
two different companies that both report to Irving Gould. Commodore USA
needs to boost its sales in its country because they are lagging everyone
else, so they have come up with a plan to get more machines into student's
hands. Commodore Canada on the other hand probably feels they are already
selling plenty of Amigas (I know the World of Commodore shows are much
more exciting up there) and so don't need to start a University program.

You might just as well ask yourself is it fair that Utah's clocks are
set an hour later than Nevada clocks. If you lived 1 mile from Utah (or
even had a house that straddled the state line) you could get jet lag
going from the bedroom to the kitchen. Fair usually doesn't come into
the picture when you are discussing boundary conditions.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  ARPAnet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (02/18/90)

I have a question about dealer fee.

^L

My dealer wants me to pay...

$2800  2500/30
.0575 TAX (Ohio)
  $15  Dealer Fee ??????
-----
$3000

Does anyone have a clue if I should be paying this, or where I should get it
instead!

Thanks

daniel.ervi@canremote.uucp (DANIEL ERVI) (02/18/90)

Well, the dealer needs to confirm that you are enrolled in a school,
correct?  I guess that means that it would work.  Maybe I should
inquire?

Daniel
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) (02/19/90)

daniel.ervi@canremote.uucp (DANIEL ERVI) writes:

>Well, I was informed yesterday that us Canadians will not receive any
>educational discounts.  This means if you live just 1 mile over the
>boder, a 2500 will cost you 5500(CDN), but if you live in the states, 1
>mile away, you can get the same system with a monitor, and an AT
>BridgeCard for about 4500 (CDN).  Does this seem unfair, or is it just
>me....
>Daniel

I heard the same thing recently.  I'd like to find out the E-mail addresses
of some people at commodore Canada, to put pressure on them.   I might even
try regular mail.  It really irks me to hear about all of the great things
Commodore USA is doing, and Commodore Canada seem to be just sitting
around on thier buts.
Maybe if enough of us Canadians get on their backs they'll do something
about it.

|Ralph Doncaster        Don't Steal - The Government hates competition.     |
|880274d@AcadiaU.CA     329 CHI, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS B0P 1X0   |
|UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!880274d  BITNET: 880274d@Acadia  |

ypcazabon@rose.waterloo.edu (Yvan Cazabon) (02/19/90)

I agree that not having the educational discounts here in Canada is more
than just disappointing, but there are other factors, namely, Canada Customs.
The amiga is not, and correct me if I'm wrong, manufactured here in Canada,
so Commodore Canada would have to absorb excise tax, duties and al. in
order to offer a similar educational discount.  Remember, the free trade
clause on computer hardware and such won't come into effect for a few years
yet.

Having said that, I do hope Commodore Canada will be able to offer something
to its Canadian following in the near future.  Can anybody suggest some way
for Commodore to offset its extra overhead?  Maybe some new variation on the
trade-in program?

Regards,
Yvan Cazabon

I've always been dependent on the kindness of NET-strangers.

4223_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/19/90)

--
There has not been any duty on AMERICAN made computer equipment for more
than a year now.  Unfortuately Commodore equipment is not made in the states.

Only some MacIntosh stuff and some IBM clones are made in the states.
There is only 3.9% duty on computer equipment anyways, but we still have to
pay 13.5% federal sales tax on top of everyting else.  Once the GST goes in
it will be down to 7% or whatever it will be by then.

even with all the taxes and duty if you could get a 2500/30 with the educational
discount it would work out to under 5000 dollars canadian as compared with the
suggested list of over 10000 dollars from the last LIST i have.

probably the biggest overhead that commodore canada has is it's warranty that it
offers.  Yes here in canada we pay twice as much as you americans just so that we
get a ONE WHOLE YEAR WARRANTY on all CBM equipment that we buy.
I'm getting my 2500/30 in the states!

john

amiga@uwo.ca    amiga@uwovax.bitnet   vectrex@ria.uucp

peter@cbmvax.commodore.com (Peter Cherna) (02/20/90)

In article <21061@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ypcazabon@rose.waterloo.edu (Yvan Cazabon) writes:
>I agree that not having the educational discounts here in Canada is more
>than just disappointing, but there are other factors, namely, Canada Customs.
>The amiga is not, and correct me if I'm wrong, manufactured here in Canada,
>so Commodore Canada would have to absorb excise tax, duties and al. in
>order to offer a similar educational discount.  Remember, the free trade
>clause on computer hardware and such won't come into effect for a few years
>yet.

The Free Trade Agreement (FTA) between Canada and the United States provides
for the elimination of duties on most goods made in one country and
imported into the other.  Some classes of goods have had their duties dropped
right away, while on others it will take up to eight or ten years for the
duty to disappear.  Computers were among the first to have their duties
removed.  The A500 carton states "Assembled in the U.S.A. from foreign
and domestic components", which should be enough to get it into Canada
duty-free.  Before anyone gets too excited, the duty used to be around
five or six percent for computers.  The 13.5% (I think) federal sales
tax still exists, and that still would have to be paid.  So importing
a computer into Canada in 1990 should be about 5% cheaper than it was
in 1988 (I think that the Federal sales tax climbed about 1% in the
same period).

On the other hand, some components are manufactured elsewhere (like the
1080 monitor, made in Japan), and do not benefit from the FTA.

Of course, I'm not a customs expert, and there probably are some different
rules for companies importing in quantity, or importing their own goods.
Who knows.

>Having said that, I do hope Commodore Canada will be able to offer something
>to its Canadian following in the near future.  Can anybody suggest some way
>for Commodore to offset its extra overhead?  Maybe some new variation on the
>trade-in program?

Students in Quebec have enjoyed an educational discount for at least two years.
This arrangement was negotiated by the engineering students in Quebec,
through the Coalition of Engineering Faculties of Quebec (COFIQ).

Commodore Business Machines Ltd. Canada is not the same company as CBM Inc.
in the U.S.A.  They also face different sets of problems, like different
laws, including FCC-type things.  It also means that things that happen on
one side of the border don't automatically happen on the other.  It works
both ways, and I can name two examples:  the SideCar and the 2080
high-persistence monitor were both available in Canada long before they
were available in the States.  I have friends back home that are happy
with both products.

>Regards,
>Yvan Cazabon

     Peter
--
     Peter Cherna, Software Engineer, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
     {uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!peter    peter@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com

(and from Montreal, Quebec).

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/21/90)

	I've seen a lot about Commodore's new educational  discount program, but
I haven't seen anything about how to take advantage of it. If I want to buy a
computer under this program, what do I need to do ?  Our school doesn't sell
Amiga's, so that's out. Can you do it through any dealer ???

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu          CS-> | <-Ph
stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               \|/               I DO ...
72335,1537      (Compuserve)            ?

axjjb@acad3.fai.alaska.edu (02/21/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <1990Feb21.032229.2096@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>, stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes...

>	I've seen a lot about Commodore's new educational  discount program, but
>I haven't seen anything about how to take advantage of it. If I want to buy a
>computer under this program, what do I need to do ?  Our school doesn't sell
>Amiga's, so that's out. Can you do it through any dealer ???
>

>--
>stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu          CS-> | <-Ph
>stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               \|/               I DO ...
>72335,1537      (Compuserve)            ?
That is how my sister got hers.  We now have two..mine and hers...
Our amiga dealer way up here in Alaska was more than happy to give her all
the info and forms required..(He gets all the software support from the
purchase)..ie..he sells the amiga(doesn't quite make as much money as he woulkd
like..) but he then who is my sister going to turn to for software or
additional hardware...Him...
anyways..I digress...yes you're dealer should have all the info you need..
(and then some..)
by the way..how much does a good audio digitizer cost??

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/22/90)

Thank you everyone who replied to my posting about where to get educational
discounts. Everyone said essentailly the same thing, for anyone else who's
interested : you can get the educational discount by ordering through your
school if they participate, or just by going to your local dealer. Apparently
all (or most) dealers have the necessary paperwork.

sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) (02/22/90)

In article <5031.25df6b11@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4223_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
>--
>There has not been any duty on AMERICAN made computer equipment for more
>than a year now.  Unfortuately Commodore equipment is not made in the states.

then where is it made? As far as I know the computers are assembled
right here in West Chester. At least some of them are. I know of a few
visitors there who have seen palletts of Amigas sitting on the loading
docks at Commodore.

4223_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (02/25/90)

In article <8160@sun.acs.udel.edu>, sjm@sun.acs.udel.edu (Steve Morris) writes:
> then where is it made? As far as I know the computers are assembled
> right here in West Chester. At least some of them are. I know of a few
> visitors there who have seen palletts of Amigas sitting on the loading
> docks at Commodore.
I have seen a pallet of Amigas sitting in a truck but it doesn't
mean that they were assembled in the TRUCK.  All the mother
boards that I have seen say ASSEMBLED IN HONG KONG.  They may
put the motherboards in the cases or cards in the amigas at
West Chester.

john

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (AMOEBOID) (02/26/90)

In article <77257@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) writes:
> I have a question about dealer fee.
> My dealer wants me to pay...
> $2800  2500/30
> .0575 TAX (Ohio)
>   $15  Dealer Fee ??????
> -----
> $3000
> Does anyone have a clue if I should be paying this, or where I should get it
> instead!

There are NO dealer fees. PERIOD.  Since you are paying for the
machine directly to CBM via certified or cashiers check, the dealer
would get none of this anyway.  If you read the form, the $15 is
required of Educators and Students to pay for shipping/handling
of the equipment from Commodore, Institutions get free shipping
and can use purchase orders.  So you should be paying nothing more
than the amount listed on the Educational Price List + Tax + $15 (S/H)

Regards,

    George

--
UUCP:  ucqais.uc.edu!ggibeau  BBS: (513) 721-7977  GT NODE: 006/005
US Snail-Dept of Biology ML 06, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45221

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (03/01/90)

** Quoting 4223_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca to All **
 >probably the biggest overhead that commodore canada has is
 >it's warranty that it
 >offers.  Yes here in canada we pay twice as much as you americans
 >just so that we
 >get a ONE WHOLE YEAR WARRANTY on all CBM equipment that we
 >buy.
 >I'm getting my 2500/30 in the states!

** End of Quote **
All warrantees in the states are 90 days.  The only exception I've heard of si
where I got mine, DGS in Dayton, OH.  They offer their own 1 year extension at
no extra cost (that should be "extension TO one year").  Maybe some other
service center/reatailers are doing this, I don't know.  -jim-

Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Jim.Priestle
ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org
-------------------------------------------------|
>       //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway         |
>    \ //    Dayton, Ohio  (513)-252-7681        |
>     X/               1:110/300                 |
-------------------------------------------------|

steve@digibd (Steve Wahl) (03/08/90)

Could someone please e-mail the discount prices to me?  I didn't save
them, as I'm not a student nor an educator; but sure enough I have
this friend who's a student and wants some advice on purchasing a
computer!

Thanks!

--> Steve
---
Steve Wahl               uunet!digibd!steve
DigiBoard Inc.
St. Louis Park, MN       (612) 922-8055
--

Steve Wahl               uunet!digibd!steve
DigiBoard Inc.
St. Louis Park, MN       (612) 922-8055

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (03/15/90)

COMMODORE CANADA POLICY ??????

Well, two weeks ago I went to my dealer, here in Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada.
He told me there would be NO educational discount, and that there would be
NO A1000 trade in offer.   Now, two weeks later, he says that we now have
an A1000 trade in deal, but there is still NO educational discount program.

To summarize :  Most dealers will just assume these programs don't exist if
they have not heard of them before; they usualy don't have the time or patience
to deal with Commodore Canada and try to get a straight answer from them.

|Dennis Gorrie                 'Chain-Saw Tag...                        |
|GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET                    Try It, You'll Like It!'|

a228amid@zero.cdf (Amid Rudy) (03/17/90)

 That's right.  We don't get any good deals up here in Canada (I'm in Toronto)
plus the support is just slow.  One thing for sure, we live so close to Buffalo
that it is tempting to drive down there, *dodge* the custom/duane and bring
back some Amiga goodies courtesy of our American school friends... \;-)

 Why we don't get the same deals as our friends down south?  No one really
knows...  Canada is a big market for Commodore USA.

!Rudy
)))-+---------------------------+-->
    ! a228amid@cdf.toronto.edu  !
    !     amid@contact.uucp     !
    ! ramid@pro-generic.cts.com !
    +---------------------------+         "Hey, this is neat!"

reynaldo@athena.mit.edu (Rey Villarreal) (08/23/90)

Could someone mail me the price list for the Educational Discounts.
I am begining to tire of my 500 and 1 meg. Any info  on the A3000 &
A2000 is especially important.

jon@brahms.udel.edu (Jon Deutsch) (11/02/90)

Could someone please send me copy of the latest discount prices
of A2000 systems (and what they consist of)?
Thank you.

       |  |   |\       |>jon@brahms.udel.edu<|  "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch |>>-----------------<<|  I'd pay a dollar" |