[comp.sys.amiga] Deskjet Info wanted!

fillg1@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Illgner) (10/19/90)

Hi folks,

I have some questions concerning the new Deskjet 500.

What are the main differences between the Deskjet 500 and the
Deskjet+ ? What printer do you recomment ?

Can I use the old ink cardridges ?

What Workbench 1.3 printer driver can I use ?

			Thanks in advance

Michael Illgner
fillg1@uni-paderborn.de

lar@pc.usl.edu (Robert, Lane A.) (10/20/90)

In article <1990Oct19.100544.8517@uni-paderborn.de>
fillg1@uni-paderborn.de (Michael Illgner) writes:
   What are the main differences between the Deskjet 500 and the
   Deskjet+ ? What printer do you recomment ?

The 500 has a few more builtin fonts, is about 10-15% faster, and
sells for less.  Buy the 500, unless you can get the Plus at one
helluva discount.

   Can I use the old ink cardridges ?

Yep.  The cartridges are identical across all three DJ models.

   What Workbench 1.3 printer driver can I use ?

The HP_Deskjet driver works great with my DJ+.  Haven't tried it
with a 500, but its performance should be nearly identical.

			   Thanks in advance

Yer quite welcome.

Lane
lar@usl.edu

abrown@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Allen Brown) (10/21/90)

> What are the main differences between the Deskjet 500 and the
> Deskjet+ ?

I don't really know.  But I think I read that the DJ500 is faster.

> What printer do you recomment ?

I already own a DJ+.  But if I was going to buy one today, I would get
a DJ500.

> Can I use the old ink cardridges ?

Yes.

> What Workbench 1.3 printer driver can I use ?
>	Michael Illgner

I can't be sure since I don't own one, but my guess is that the
regular driver for the Deskjet will work.

Disclaimer:  I don't work in marketing or in the divisions associated
  with the printers.  I am not officially representing HP.  These are
  my opinions only.
--
  Allen Brown  abrown@cv.hp.com or abrown%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
	    or hplabs!hpcvca!abrown or "Hey you!"

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/23/90)

I use the DJHelper program and driver from Creative Focus. It's $50 and worth
EVERY PENNY. DJHelper is a Preferences-like program that will reconfigure
the driver on the fly, allow font downloading, and much, much more. It
allows you to finetune greyscale, get 66 lines per page (!), etc., etc.

BTW: It IS possible to reink Deskjet cartridges:
        (1) You must use an ink that is completely pigment-based, like
        Pelikan or Sheaffer Jet Black Permanent Skrip (what I use).
        India ink and Parker Quink have particulate matter =
        clogged jets.

        (2) You need something that will get the ink into the foam
        block inside the cartridge. I use a chef's syringe, called
        ZapIt, which I got at aa kitchen supply store for $5.

        (3) You have to reink the cartridge when it starts to run dry,
        NOT after it's run dry. The DJ "boils" the ink onto the paper,
        and a dry cart will melt the jets.

        (4) Draw about 15-20 mL of ink into the syringe, and insert
        the needle into the little hole on top. Slowly depress the
        plunger and move the needle in & out until you feel the
        plunger going down smoothly. Keep inking until ink starts to
        come out of the hole. Wipe the jets with some wet toilet
        paper, and run the self test to make sure that everything's
        jake.

I've been able to reink a cartridge 7 times before it finally went belly-
up (nothing lasts forever). That's a savings of about $140, using $3
worth of ink.

Of course, the new waterproof ink from HP is coming out, but I'll keep
reinking the carts--I do a LOT of printing on my Deskjet+.

Re the Deskjet 500: I talked with my local HP dealer, and he said
that, especially since I use a DTP program with its own fonts
(Pagestream and sometimes ProPage), he wouldn't even recommend the
upgrade. All Deskjets will be able to use the new waterproof ink...

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

u-lchaff%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Lynn Chaffin) (10/23/90)

The Deskjet 500 is faster when printing graphics, compared to the DJ+.
And Less $$$  :-)

Lynn Chaffin
u-lchaff@peruvian.utah.edu

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (10/24/90)

u-lchaff%peruvian.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Lynn Chaffin) writes:

>The Deskjet 500 is faster when printing graphics, compared to the DJ+.
>And Less $$$  :-)

Are the specs the same for the printer, though?  Like resolution and stuff?

>Lynn Chaffin
>u-lchaff@peruvian.utah.edu

| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu             These opinions are mine, that's all.|

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/24/90)

Specs are the same, 300 dpi addressable, somewhat less in actuality. Still
the closest thing you can get to a laser...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

u-lchaff%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Lynn Chaffin) (10/25/90)

>>The Deskjet 500 is faster when printing graphics, compared to the DJ+.
>>And Less $$$  :-)
>
>Are the specs the same for the printer, though?  Like resolution and stuff?
>

>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu             These opinions are mine, that's all.|
>+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+

The machine looks just like the other Deskjets.  Same 300 dpi, same text
speed, and the graphics print almost as fast as text does.  Other than that
you'll need to wait until I can buy one.  I've only seen them in the
bookstore, and what info I've been able to get out of the clerk.

Lynn Chaffin
u-lchaff@peruvian.utah.edu

stephen@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Stephen Holmstead) (10/27/90)

Rick Wrigley wrote:
>Specs are the same, 300 dpi addressable, somewhat less in actuality.
                                                   ^^^^
What?!?!?!?  Less?  Are you kidding? :-)

Actually, as I have been told (from those who SHOULD know), the Deskjet
has a resolution of 600 dpi.  The problem is that each of the drops of
ink (or pixels) are round and have very sharp contrast on the edges.
In comparision, the Laser printers only have a resolution of 300 dpi,
but due to the physics involved with the printing process on a laser,
the dots (or pixels) are created with small magnetic fields on the print
drum and thus, they have very smooth and gradual contrast on the edges.
For example, if you were to look at each from the side (sort of
pictorially), they would look something like this:

          ________                            _______
         |        |                        __/       \__
         |        |                      _/             \_
         |        |                     /                 \
  _______|        |________         ___/                   \___

        DeskJet pixel                      LaserJet pixel

Visually, the LaserJet pixel has the effect of being 'anti-aliased',
whereas the DeskJet pixel isn't.  The result is that the Deskjet takes
more than one drop of ink to try to produce an 'anti-aliased' 300 dpi
pixel.  Even still, the DeskJet cannot come close the smoothing effect
caused by the magnetic field distribution on the LaserJets.

The bottom line is that the DeskJet does NOT have 'somewhat less'
resolution, but rather, it has somewhat different resolution.

>Still the closest thing you can get to a laser...

Yup.
 ____       ____
|   / /_  __\   | Disk      0S/2 == 1/2 OS (Leo Schwab)      Stephen Holmstead
|  | / / /_/ |  | Mechanisms         //             ...!hplabs!hpdmlge!stephen
|___\   /   /___| Division         \X/ Amiga        stephen@hpdmlge.boi.hp.com

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (10/29/90)

In article <15440030@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> stephen@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Stephen Holmstead) writes:
                             [...]
>In comparision, the Laser printers only have a resolution of 300 dpi,
>but due to the physics involved with the printing process on a laser,
>the dots (or pixels) are created with small magnetic fields on the print
>drum and thus, they have very smooth and gradual contrast on the edges.
                             [...]
That's funny, I always thought that laser printers did the toner transfer
electrostatically.  Of course I could be wrong.  Someone please enlighten
me.

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/30/90)

Laser printers DO use electrostatic attraction to hold the toner before it's
melted onto the paper. If laser printers had different size dots at 300 dpi,
HP wouldn't be selling the LJ III with the "variable dot size" feature,
which gives it an effective resolution of 600 dpi.
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

Robert_No-doubt_Gregory@cup.portal.com (11/02/90)

Has anyone found a place to get a DJ500 at a good price (around $500)?

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (11/02/90)

Re: DJ 500 for $500

Try the Tuesday NY Times ads...
                                                --Rick Wrigley