[comp.sys.amiga] Nethack ect. Help wanted.

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/29/90)

I haven't seen Nethack, but Hack Lite had a little dog. You have to have him
right next to the stairs when you go down, or he won't follow you. It also
helps to feed him every so often; he'll stick closer to you.

MORIA is the *BEST* of the PD hack & slashers! You just have to be patient
when playing and make sure that you ALWAYS keep a copy of your saved game
in a separate directory. Then, when you successfully get back to the surface,
and save, copy the saved game back to that directory. Haggling is part of the
fun, say I...and MORIA is by far the BIGGEST dungeon out there (100 levels,
each MUCH bigger than the screen).

LARN is available on a fairly early Fish disk (can't find my Amazing guide
this minute, but it's in there) and is also highly recommended. It's winnable,
which is a lot more than I can say for HACK...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
PS--Note my address. I have no control over what area this gets posted in,
so please don't send flames just 'cos you think I'm sloppy. Blame the
server, not me!

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (10/30/90)

In article <34845@nigel.ee.udel.edu> fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:
>I haven't seen Nethack, but Hack Lite had a little dog. You have to have him
                                 [...]
>MORIA is the *BEST* of the PD hack & slashers! You just have to be patient
                                 [...]
You haven't seen Nethack, but you feel qualified to make a judgement of
what is the best pd hack game?   ;^)

Well, Moria is an interesting game, but it has nowhere *near* the depth
of nethack.  The spoiler sheet I have on nethack is 40 pages of closely
spaced text.  There are so many behavioral complexities in nethack.  You
can do things like training your dog to rob things from the store (don't
try it yourself, or the keystone kops will come after you).  You can chat
with some of the creatures in the dungeon.  You get all sorts of intrinsics
from eating the right kinds of critters (like the ability to teleport at
will, intrinsic fire resistance, intrinsic cold resistance, sleep resistance,
disintegration resistance, etc).

Also, once you explore a level it remains explored (in Moria once you leave
a level it is regenerated from scratch).

There are various special armors and weapons like Moria.  There is also
a great deal of urgency to perform in Nethack, because food is much scarcer
in Nethack, and you run out of food faster.  You have to live off the land
most of the time, eating whatever you can kill.  You learn quickly what
animals are good for you and which ones will kill you to eat them.

You have to watch out for critters that poison you, burn you, stun you,
confuse you, steal your money, steal your artifacts, freeze you, turn
you to stone, polymorph you (turn you temporarilly into a critter of
some random type) disintegrate you, put you to sleep, shock you, weaken
you, steal your experience levels, teleport you, give you a disease, or
turn you into a were-creature (werewolf, werejackal, wererat), which means
until you are cured you will occassionally turn into a rat or a wolf or
a jackal for a while.  Really big critters like purple worms will swallow
you whole, which means you have about 4 or 5 turns (depending on your armor)
to dig or teleport out of its belly before you are completely digested.

When you die all of your belongings are left lying where you died, and all
the critters that were killing you are still there.  The next time you play,
if you come to the level you died on before, you will find the ghost of your
last character standing guard over the booty.  Ghosts can be killed, but they
are really hard to hit.  Sometimes the monsters that killed you continue to
kill you game after game on the same level, eventually producing what is
known as a ghost level.  This is a level with 8 or 9 ghosts on it.  It
is hard to kill them all, but once you do you will have a lot of weapons and
armor to play with.  But you have to watch out because ghost treasure
usually has curses on it, and you will need to remove the curses before
you use the artifacts.

There are so many interesting little tricks in the game.  For example, if
you happen to have a long sword and you find a pool of water, and your
luck is high enough, then when you dip the sword into the pool a hand will
come up out of the water and turn your sword into Excaliber (a very good
weapon, especially if you get any plusses added to it).  But there is also
the chance that your fooling around with pools will attract a water nymph,
who will progressively steal everything you own until you are naked and
poverty-stricken.  The only way to get your stuff back is to find the nymph
who took it and kill her.

I could go on, but it would take all day.

If you haven't tried nethack (not hacklight) you should try it.  But try to
get the spoiler or else play the game in explore mode (non-scoring mode in
which you have infinite lives) for a while.  Nethack is much more severe
than Moria, and the chances are good that you will not survive the first
level until you get some experience playing the game.  There is an incredible
variety of monsters, some of whom will eat the very walls of the dungeon
itself.  Nearly all of them would enjoy a bite or two of you  ;^).

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

jerry@uni-paderborn.de (Gerald Siek) (11/02/90)

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu writes:

>MORIA is the *BEST* of the PD hack & slashers! You just have to be patient
>when playing and make sure that you ALWAYS keep a copy of your saved game
>in a separate directory. Then, when you successfully get back to the surface,
>and save, copy the saved game back to that directory. Haggling is part of the
>fun, say I...and MORIA is by far the BIGGEST dungeon out there (100 levels,

It seems you've never played 'Omega' which is, for my opinion
even better than Moria.  It offers different missions at a time.
Several guilds, cities, villages, different dungeons, houses
alignment, a bunch of spells,  serveral elemental planes, and
much more.
Try to get a copy of the 1.3 Version from abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov,
(found in the /incoming/amiga folder).

C U  Jerry

           /   Gerald Siek              e-mail to:                /|
          /   Fr. Ebert Str. 17                                  / /
         /   W-4790 Paderborn         jerry@uni-paderborn.de    / /
        /   Germany                                            / /