[comp.sys.amiga] Anybody else having abcfd20 problems?

don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) (11/01/90)

	I've been trying to ftp to abcfd20 lately and been completely
unsuccesful, despite the fact that I've connected there many times in the
past from this machine without a problem.  It always dies the same way:
I connect, log in, and it starts to print the opening message.  It gets
to the second line of the note about only posting freely redistributable
stuff, then freezes every time.  No amount of waiting seems to help,
and I've tried various pseudo-random control characters, etc, to continue,
but with no luck except that a ^C will cause it to print the next line, then
stop completely.  It always stops at exactly the same point and behaves
exactly the same way.

--
  Gibberish             Soon to be Amiga 3000 owner/fanatic! (I hope)
  is spoken             Contact don@brahms.udel.edu for more information.

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (11/02/90)

In article <15356@brahms.udel.edu>, don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:

> 	I've been trying to ftp to abcfd20 lately and been completely
> unsuccesful, despite the fact that I've connected there many times in the
> past from this machine without a problem.  It always dies the same way:
> I connect, log in, and it starts to print the opening message.  It gets
> to the second line of the note about only posting freely redistributable
> stuff, then freezes every time.  No amount of waiting seems to help,
> and I've tried various pseudo-random control characters, etc, to continue,
> but with no luck except that a ^C will cause it to print the next line, then
> stop completely.  It always stops at exactly the same point and behaves
> exactly the same way.

	I have had no problem getting onto abcfd20.  It sounds like your FTP
software doesn't like multiple welcome type messages.  Looks like it's your
FTP software that is in error.  Contact your system manager of the vendor that
supplies the software and have them fix it.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2@dayton.saic.com             uucp: dayvb!fac2

tadguy@abcfd01.larc.nasa.gov (Tad Guy) (11/03/90)

In article <15356@brahms.udel.edu> don@brahms.udel.edu (Donald R Lloyd) writes:
> I've been trying to ftp to abcfd20 lately and been completely
> unsuccesful... It gets to the second line of the note about only
> posting freely redistributable stuff, then freezes every time.

Sounds like you're one of the `fortunates' with a broken ftp client.
Try the free version from uunet.uu.net (/bsd-sources/src/ucb/).

	...tad