[comp.sys.amiga] What's the difference????

graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) (10/31/90)

Sorry for asking what's probably a stupid question, but....

Would someone please tell me the specific differences between
a normal A500 and an A500P?

I have talked to two authorized dealers in this area, and
I got the impression that neither really knew what they were
talking about.

For example:

   1.) How much on-board ram does the 500P come with?

   2.) What version of Kickstart is in the currently
       shipped 500P's?

   3.) What do I need in order to use AmigaVision on the
       current 500P's?

   4.) What do I need in order to run AmigaDos 2.0 on the
       500P?

   5.) Finally, what's the latest scoop on educational
       discounts?  I've been told that you must purchase
       an initial "system" package in order to purchase
       individual components.

       I guess this means that if I don't need a monitor,
       then I can't get an educational discount at all.

       Is this true?

Thanks,
-Jim

-> ->Disclaimer: I'm not ashamed of what I say. <- <-
     Sorry if the above disclaimer is too long.
| Internet: graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu                  |
| UUCP:     dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             |
| FIDO:     Soon!                                          |
| BBS:      The PORTAL DOLMEN, (812) 334-0418, 24hrs.      |
|__________________________________________________________|

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (10/31/90)

In article <7244@cica.cica.indiana.edu> dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>   1.) How much on-board ram does the 500P come with?

	1Mb.  I'm not sure if its all chip, or 512K fast.

>   2.) What version of Kickstart is in the currently shipped 500P's?

	1.3.2.

>   3.) What do I need in order to use AmigaVision on the current 500P's?

	Nothing.  The system should come with AmigaVision.  You
	may want more memory and a hard disk, or a second floppy
	but they are not required.

>   4.) What do I need in order to run AmigaDos 2.0 on the 500P?

	2.0 enhancer package.  This has not been released.
	No other information is currently available on 2.0.

>   5.) Finally, what's the latest scoop on educational discounts?

	Don't know.
Ken Farinsky - CATS - (215) 431-9421 - Commodore Business Machines
uucp: ken@cbmvax.commodore.com   or  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken
bix:  kfarinsky

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/01/90)

graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) writes:

> Sorry for asking what's probably a stupid question, but....
>
> Would someone please tell me the specific differences between
> a normal A500 and an A500P?
>
> I have talked to two authorized dealers in this area, and
> I got the impression that neither really knew what they were
> talking about.
>
> For example:
>
>    1.) How much on-board ram does the 500P come with?

1 megabyte. The earlier versions just had an A501 cartridge in the trap
door, but the current versions have all the RAM on the motherboard.

>    2.) What version of Kickstart is in the currently
>        shipped 500P's?

Unfortunately, 1.3.

>    3.) What do I need in order to use AmigaVision on the
>        current 500P's?

Nothing special. You can run AV in the base configuration. However, I
HIGHLY recommend you buy more RAM. I would say hard drive, but you
already have that.

>    4.) What do I need in order to run AmigaDos 2.0 on the
>        500P?

Just the 2.02 kickstart. However, the ECS (when it's out for 500/2000) is
recommended for full 2.02 compatibility.

>    5.) Finally, what's the latest scoop on educational
>        discounts?  I've been told that you must purchase
>        an initial "system" package in order to purchase
>        individual components.

About $799 (approx) gets you an A500P, AmigaVision, a 1084S, and an extra
disk drive. You must buy it in either a bundle or the CPU plus any
Commodore stuff you want.

>        I guess this means that if I don't need a monitor,
>        then I can't get an educational discount at all.
>
>        Is this true?

Yes.

Also, I saw Digital Arts yesterday. GO SEE IT! They have as many games as
SoftWare etc, but the amount of games pales compared to the applications
and multimedia stuff. (which means graphics, sound, etc.)

> Thanks,
> -Jim
>

> -> ->Disclaimer: I'm not ashamed of what I say. <- <-
>      Sorry if the above disclaimer is too long.
>  __________________________________________________________
> | Internet: graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu                  |
> | UUCP:     dolmen!graham@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu             |
> | FIDO:     Soon!                                          |
> | BBS:      The PORTAL DOLMEN, (812) 334-0418, 24hrs.      |
> |__________________________________________________________|

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (11/01/90)

In article <FocXR4w163w@valnet> joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) writes:
>graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) writes:

          what's the latest scoop on educational
>>        discounts?  I've been told that you must purchase
>>        an initial "system" package in order to purchase
>>        individual components.
>
>About $799 (approx) gets you an A500P, AmigaVision, a 1084S, and an extra
>disk drive. You must buy it in either a bundle or the CPU plus any
>Commodore stuff you want.
>

>>        I guess this means that if I don't need a monitor,
>>        then I can't get an educational discount at all.
>>
>>        Is this true?
>
>Yes.

NOT TRUE!!!  You can't buy a monitor, or any other Non-cpu, unless you
purchase a cpu, either as a bundle, or by the piece...but you don't have
to purchase bundles...you can create your own, AND/OR just elect to purchase
the cpu....so....in your example, if you don't need the monitor, you are
able to just get the cpu, or even the cpu and an extra drive, or whatever.
ALL Amiga products are available at an ED discount, and can be purchased,
as long as a CPU is purchased.

--

Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (11/02/90)

In article <15514@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:

>NOT TRUE!!!  You can't buy a monitor, or any other Non-cpu, unless you
>purchase a cpu, either as a bundle, or by the piece...but you don't have
>to purchase bundles...you can create your own, AND/OR just elect to purchase
>the cpu....so....in your example, if you don't need the monitor, you are
>able to just get the cpu, or even the cpu and an extra drive, or whatever.
>ALL Amiga products are available at an ED discount, and can be purchased,
>as long as a CPU is purchased.
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Why is it that we MUST by a CPU to take advantage of the Ed. Discount?
Some of us poor students can't afford to buy everything at ONCE.  But once we
buy our CPU/Bundle we have to pay full retail for any future expansions we
might want.

	Sure, I'd LOVE to be able to buy my A500 _and_ Hard Drive _and_ RAM
expansion _and_ monitor all at once, but I can't afford that.  How about some
kind of deal for peripherals?

	-- Matt

    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
    %    "I programmed three days        %      Beam me up, Scotty.      %
    %     And heard no human voices.     %     There's no Artificial     %
    %     But the hard disk sang."       %    Intelligence down here.    %
    %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
    %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
     This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

huebner@aero.aero.org (Robert Huebner) (11/02/90)

Hillenburg) writes:
|> graham@venus.iucf.indiana.edu (JIM GRAHAM) writes:
|> >        I guess this means that if I don't need a monitor,
|> >        then I can't get an educational discount at all.
|> >
|> >        Is this true?
|>
|> Yes.
No.  (Even Howard Diamond himself responded to this misconception!)
You are allowed to mix and match under the educational discount plans.
Although the package prices are a bit lower than the mix-and-match system,
as long as you buy a CPU, you can buy any combination of items you like.

(Disclaimers in case of an out-of-date list)

For instance, the CPU-only price (still includes AV) is $479.
External floppy $129 (face it, you can still do better!), and so on.
So without getting the monitor, you save about $190 when compared to the
package price.  Ask you local dealer for a copy of the Commodore
"Education Purchase Program Individual & Institution Price List".

Judging by all the confusion and misconceptions surrounding this educational
program, It seems Commodore's policy of non-disclosure has spilled over a
bit :)

----
Robert Huebner		huebner@aerospace.aero.org
			The Aerospace Corporation
----

krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au (Alexander Krooglikov) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov01.222619.16655@ecst.csuchico.edu>, mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:
> In article <15514@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
> >
> >NOT TRUE!!!  You can't buy a monitor, or any other Non-cpu, unless you
> >purchase a cpu, either as a bundle, or by the piece...but you don't have
> >to purchase bundles...you can create your own, AND/OR just elect to purchase
> >the cpu....so....in your example, if you don't need the monitor, you are
> >able to just get the cpu, or even the cpu and an extra drive, or whatever.
> >ALL Amiga products are available at an ED discount, and can be purchased,
> >as long as a CPU is purchased.
>          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> 	Why is it that we MUST by a CPU to take advantage of the Ed. Discount?
> Some of us poor students can't afford to buy everything at ONCE.  But once we
> buy our CPU/Bundle we have to pay full retail for any future expansions we
> might want.
>
> 	Sure, I'd LOVE to be able to buy my A500 _and_ Hard Drive _and_ RAM
> expansion _and_ monitor all at once, but I can't afford that.  How about some
> kind of deal for peripherals?
>
> 	-- Matt

  Boy, what a whinger!! This poor guy thinks he's having problems because
he isn't allowed to buy bits and pieces at different times. Over here in
Australia, we have only JUST (1 or 2 months ago) been introduced to the
idea of tertiary discounts. Over here, you get an A500, 1meg RAM, and
1084S monitor for $1210 Australian if you are an Ed person. You CANNOT buy
bits and pieces (ie. RAM cards, CPU cards, graphics cards) at Ed discount
prices AT ALL!!

  So, perhaps Matt should think himself lucky that he gets a discount at all.
After all, how privileged we are to be in a social minority (ie. Uni Students)
and STILL get the world's best computer!!

Alex Krooglik					krooglik@ecr.mu.oz.au
University of Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia.

lcline@sequent.com (Larry Cline) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov01.222619.16655@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu
(Matt "C P." Rush)
>In article <15514@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
>>
>>NOT TRUE!!!  You can't buy a monitor, or any other Non-cpu, unless you
>>purchase a cpu, either as a bundle, or by the piece...but you don't have
>>to purchase bundles...you can create your own, AND/OR just elect to purchase
>>the cpu....so....in your example, if you don't need the monitor, you are
>>able to just get the cpu, or even the cpu and an extra drive, or whatever.
>>ALL Amiga products are available at an ED discount, and can be purchased,
>>as long as a CPU is purchased.
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Why is it that we MUST by a CPU to take advantage of the Ed. Discount?
>Some of us poor students can't afford to buy everything at ONCE.  But once we
>buy our CPU/Bundle we have to pay full retail for any future expansions we
>might want.
>
> Sure, I'd LOVE to be able to buy my A500 _and_ Hard Drive _and_ RAM
>expansion _and_ monitor all at once, but I can't afford that.  How about some
>kind of deal for peripherals?
>
>	-- Matt
>
>    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>    %    "I programmed three days        %      Beam me up, Scotty.      %
>    %     And heard no human voices.     %     There's no Artificial     %
>    %     But the hard disk sang."       %    Intelligence down here.    %
>    %          -- Yoshiko                                                %
>    %                            E-mail:  mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu %
>    *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
>	This is a SCHOOL!  Do you think they even CARE about MY opinions?!

   And for a long time C= didn't have any educational program at all for
Amigas.  Consider yourself lucky.

   The intent of the educational program is/was to put Amigas into education
both institutional and home (as in have the same computer at home that you
do in school) use. Since people who already have Amigas don't need a discount
for the 'largest portion' (CPU), the offer is for 'with the purchase of a CPU'.

   Second, how many dealers would keep selling Amigas if C= took away a
considerable portion of the peripheral sales by telling students that as
long as they were in school they could buy on this program instead of from
the dealer.

  The dealer is the primary source of C='s sales.  If you alienate them then
they won't want to sell the machines.  If you mess with their sales, then you
alienate them.  That is why C='s current program use the dealer as a resource
and pay them a fee for each ed. system sold.  Otherwise, the only people who
would be aware of the Amiga would be the large schools.  The dealers are the
ones who hit all the other thousands of schools that C= can't.  I know because
I did this for 3 years.

   So be happy with what you got.  There are some who don't get any special
discounts at all.

Larry Cline
lcline@crg8.sequent.com

".sig!  Contractors don't need no stinkin' .sig!!!"