[comp.sys.amiga] Bewitched by Mail Order Companies

lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (11/01/90)

  With the number of messages posted about Montgomery Grant, I thought
I'd post my horror story (just in time for Halloween).

 This one concerns the company COMPUTE ABILITY (or however they spell
it). A few months past I ordered Fantavision for the Amiga (to use on
the very few Amigas on campus). I asked it to be sent airmail since I
needed it in a hurry. As you probably guessed, it didn't arrive. I
called the company a week later, they stated that they had to order
more copies and it was just sent out (I was not told on the phone
when I ordered that it was not in stock). So I waited another week...

  As you probably guessed again, it didn't arrive. Since it was already
to late for me to use the program, I called to cancel the order. Of
course, before my credit card could be credited I had to wait for the
results of a trace to find out what happened to the program.

  I called back about a week later. As you probably guessed, they
didn't do a trace to find the shipment. In fact, the representative
didn't know anything about it. I told him the whole story again and,
again, I had to wait for them to trace the shipment.

  About three weeks later I called the company back. As you probably
guessed, they didn't do a trace AGAIN. Now I was angry. Even the
representative was surprised at how long ago I placed the order and no
one did a trace since then. He assured me that he would put a trace on
the shipment.

  Well, after discussing this with my father and now having received
the statement with the charge on it, we decided to contact the credit
card company. From then on I left it to them to handle this company.

  As you probably didn't guess, about two months later I received
another charge from Compute Ability, in fact a charge for the same
amount for something which I did not order. Obviously they thought
they could get away with it. I couldn't believe they would actually
use my account number again.

  The big horror is that they still have my account number!

  Just a small note (well maybe a long note--as my friend Al-berto
Pipp III pointed out (see the previous message about using WB2.0 on a
1000)) to caution people about certain mail order companies (thanks
for the info on Montgomery Grant, I would have considered ordering
from them).

  Two companies that I CAN recommend are:
	Software Discounters of America
	Tennex

  Can anyone recommend anyother Amiga mail order companies, like
Creative Computers (is that the name?).

  Well, I'll end this tale of terror, finally. Happy Halloween!

sirotto@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Mike Cerrato) (11/01/90)

In article <Oct.31.21.26.11.1990.10799@remus.rutgers.edu>, lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:

>  With the number of messages posted about Montgomery Grant, I thought
>I'd post my horror story (just in time for Halloween).
>
> This one concerns the company COMPUTE ABILITY (or however they spell
>it).

ComputAbility

> A few months past I ordered Fantavision for the Amiga (to use on
>the very few Amigas on campus). I asked it to be sent airmail since I
>needed it in a hurry. As you probably guessed, it didn't arrive. I
>called the company a week later, they stated that they had to order
>more copies and it was just sent out (I was not told on the phone
>when I ordered that it was not in stock). So I waited another week...

[Long story made short . . .]

I have been using ComputAbility for quite some time now and have NEVER had any
problems or complaints with their service.  They have always been polite,
prompt, and much cheaper than list price.

>  The big horror is that they still have my account number!

They do keep a file on their customers to make future ordering easier.
          ___  __
   /|   /|    /  \			Gallent Knight of a rather
  / |  / |   /				large, squarish table someplace
 /  | /  |--<        SirOtto		in the West Panhandle of Florida.
/   |/   |___\____/

lcs@police.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) (11/01/90)

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. THE MESSAGE THAT I POSTED ABOUT MY PROBLEMS
WITH A MAIL ORDER COMPANY, COMPUTE ABILITY, WAS IN ERROR.

THE COMPANY'S NAME IS NOT COMPUTE ABILITY! ALTHOUGH THIS SOUNDS VERY
BAD, I AM NOT ENTIRELY SURE OF THE NAME OF THE COMPANY. I BELIEVE IT
TO BE COMPUTER MART, BUT CAN'T SAY FOR SURE. I AM VERY SORRY FOR ANY
TROUBLE THIS MIGHT HAVE CAUSED. WHEN I AM ABSOLUTELY SURE OF THE NAME
OF THE COMPANY I WILL POST IT.

AGAIN, SORRY FOR THE MISTAKE.

andrew@postmod.UUCP (Andrew_J_Richardson) (11/01/90)

>  Can anyone recommend anyother Amiga mail order companies, like
>Creative Computers (is that the name?).

	i can recommend The Software Shop, in Worcester, MA.  i've orfered
by phone as well as in person, and always got the lowest prices as well
as prompt service.

--

	andrew

	uunet!postmod!andrew
	andrew@postmod.UUCP

umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Daryl Turner) (11/02/90)

Two companies that I give thumbs up to are Software Support International
and Safe Harbor.  Unfortunately, I don't have their numbers handy, but
they do advertise regularly in AmigaWorld.

Daryl Turner
Internet: umturne4@ccu.umanitoba.ca
   What a RRRRRUSH! -Road Warrior Hawk, The Legion of Doom

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (11/02/90)

Hello,

     I have ordered from Creative Computers and am not altogether pleased with
their way of operation.  Creative Computers has a VERY laxed attitude about
their business.  I had ordered a trackmouse and a replacement power supply
from them about a week apart.  The trackmouse was first and the PS was second.
They told me over the phone that they had 1 (one) trackmouse left.  I ordered
it.  They told me that they would pull it and send it out.  So one week later
my 500's power supply had begun to fail.  I ordered a power supply from them.
The Trackmouse was to be sent a faster way than power supply.  The power supply
arrived first.  I was a bit PO'd because I figured that the power supply would
last until the other one would come in.  My mouse had already failed and I was
having to use the keyboard (not a pretty site).  Anyway, I had to call back
to find out what the status on the trackmouse was and why I had gotten the
Power Supply first.  They told me that they had no more trackmouses and would
have to order more.  I told them that the person I had ordered it from said
that they had had one left and that it would be sent out when I ordered.
I then asked to talk to the person who I had originally ordered from.  That
person couldn't even remember taking my order (I had placed two in one week)
and that there was no way to find my paperwork on the order.  I mean talk
about LAZY.  This would require him to walk to the back and look through
the orders.  First, you'd think they would have a computer system (they
might now, this was a while back).  Second, even if they don't there should
be a way to track an order. Third, they shouldn't promise goods to just get
the order and then put that order on backorder because they don't actually
have any.  I didn't get screwed with this because I tried to stay on top of it.
Evidently they didn't really care one way or the other.  This has really turned
me off of this company (even if the prices are lower).  If you can't find out
the current status of an order then a business shouldn't be in business.

||NeXT- (nekst) N. The only PC to have sold less than 10,000 units and ||
||                 not be considered a flop.                           ||
||------------------------------------------/ /------------------------||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

oliver@solaria.cs.unc.edu (Bill Oliver) (11/02/90)

In article <Oct.31.21.26.11.1990.10799@remus.rutgers.edu> lcs@remus.rutgers.edu (Lyle C. Seplowitz) writes:

>  With the number of messages posted about Montgomery Grant, I thought
>I'd post my horror story (just in time for Halloween).
>
> This one concerns the company COMPUTE ABILITY (or however they spell
>it).

I have bought most, but by no means all of my software from ComputeAbility,
and so have a history of a nuumber of interactions with them.  I have bought
software from them both personally and on university purchase orders.

They have always been *fast* in terms of getting stuff mailed to me (they
always say one to two weeks over the phone, but it usually runs about five
days for personal orders -- instutional orders take more time since they wait
on my university purchasing office to mail the order to them), have always been extremely polite, and have always been helpful.

I can't comment on how well they deal with tracing mistakes, since they
have never made one with me.

I am, however, a very satisfied customer of ComputeAbility, so my experience
does not match yours.

Bill Oliver

2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/02/90)

I've been ordering all my Amiga stuff from Computability as well for
the past two years and have never had any trouble with them.  They have
always been prompt with their service and had the cheapest prices among
most mail orders companies.

David Poland

In article <35177@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, Brian Wright <S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu> writes:
> [Create Computers horror story deleted]

I've had the same experience with Creative Computers.  When the game Future
Wars came out, I ordered it from them.  They said they it would be about
a week to get here.  So after a 10 days I decided to call them and find
out where it was.  When I talked to them they told me Future Wars was out
of stock and would be several days until they got more in!  So I just told
them to cancel the order.  That's the last time I order from someone other
than Computability just because their price was lower.  I've learned my
lesson on that one.

David Poland
2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

jdutka@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Dutka) (11/02/90)

In article <26446.27304189@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2flntopaz@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>I've been ordering all my Amiga stuff from Computability as well for
>the past two years and have never had any trouble with them.  They have
>always been prompt with their service and had the cheapest prices among
>most mail orders companies.

Well, one of my roommates ordered three pieces of software from them maybe
a year and a few months ago, and to this date, after tens upon tens of phone
calls and letters, he only has one of the programs (Dungeon Master) and now
Computability claims he never ordered from them and refuses to send him a
refund...

--
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |
| husc6!m2c!wpi!jdutka | "Hey, baby - wanna do some HEAT TRANSFER?           |
| jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu   |  Heh, heh, heh!"                                    |
| John Dutka, Jr.      |     -Mechanical Engineers On The Prowl              |

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (11/03/90)

     It would seem that just about every company royally screws up somewhere.
I have been ordering mass ammounts of software/hardware from Creative Computers
and have had some problems with compatability (didn't fit/work on an A3000)
and they've been good about taking them back at a minimum restock charge
and crediting me.  The complaint that I *do* have is that they can't/don't/won'
t tell you if an item is in stock until you place the order and they spend 2
days looking for it.
     That's right, boys and girls: Creative Computing can't process an order
much less ship it for 2 days.  I ordered something from them next day air, and
it arrived 3 days later.  Their prices are good, and the support is fair,
so I tend to stick with them.
     A company that (so far) seems to have an excellent program going is
Computer Basics (the one in AmigaWorld that has "AmigaMan!").  I was desperate
for some memory (ordered 2 megs of 1Mx4 instead of 4) and I called them up.
They next-day aired me four chips at a fair price and they were able to
find out THEN-AND-THERE if they had them, and they shipped the order about
20 minutes after I placed it.  (I know this because they called up to tell
me my credit card was refused....oops, wrong card. :-)
     Moral of the story: NOBODY'S PERFECT, BUT SOME TRY HARDER THAN OTHERS.

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "Beggars   can't |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     | be users.   Just |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    | give me the damn |
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      | disk, willya?"   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |   -"Grendel" Roe |

jerry@truevision.com (Jerry Thompson) (11/03/90)

Well, even if the name WASN'T Computer Mart, it might as well be.  I had
a very similar run in with Computer Mart.  I have had two out of two less
than enjoyable experiences with them.  I never got ripped off, and they
always seemed to be trying to do the right thing, but it took so long to
get anything from them.   One item was lost in shipping and I had to get
a refund, and the other arrived DOA and had to be replaced.

--
Jerry Thompson                 |     // checks  ___________   | "I'm into S&M,
"What I want to know is, have  | \\ //   and    |    |    |   |  Sarcasm and

bandit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Erickson) (11/03/90)

In article <andrew.3928@postmod.UUCP> andrew@postmod.UUCP (Andrew_J_Richardson) writes:
>>  Can anyone recommend anyother Amiga mail order companies, like
>>Creative Computers (is that the name?).
>
>	i can recommend The Software Shop, in Worcester, MA.  i've orfered
>by phone as well as in person, and always got the lowest prices as well
>as prompt service.
>
>	andrew

I can also recommend The Software Shop. Last year, I ordered a 2 meg 8-up board from them...It arrived within a few days, however, all the ram chips on it were fried...I gave them a call and they very courteously put new chips in it and it has worked great ever since...no extra charges for their mistake, either...

A great company that that has great prices and service.

just my $0.02 worth

John Erickson

bandit@milton.u.washington.edu