[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Sales Increase according to SPA

	For the past quarter sales of Amiga software increased by
34%, as compared to 27% in the MS-DOS and the Macintosh markets.
Sales of Unix software increased 400% and OS/2 software by 850%.
	Sales of Amiga WordProcessors increased by 80%.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov1.074322.24051@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	For the past quarter sales of Amiga software increased by
>34%, as compared to 27% in the MS-DOS and the Macintosh markets.
>Sales of Unix software increased 400% and OS/2 software by 850%.
>	Sales of Amiga WordProcessors increased by 80%.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Increased 34% as compared to what?  The previous quarter?  The same
quarter last year?

What do you mean by "sales"?  Cash (dollar) amounts?  Unit numbers?

             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (11/02/90)

COMMODORE stock IS INCREASING as well.  I don't think this is a related
topic but Commodore just past the $7 mark in a LONG while!  Atari is
still hovering around the $2.

                                     Sun...
Carnegie Mellon University                        sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu

(C)1990, Totally Cool People Society of America.
a non-profit organization formed to protect the lives of the innocent
against weird, barbaric, and grotesque UNCool(C) people in the world.

"Anything I say or do could be used against YOU" - Yours Truly.
Publisher of the Totally Cool People Society's bi-weekly Top Ten List.
(Sig file v.2.2a)

In article <7915@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) writes:
>In article <1990Nov1.074322.24051@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>
>>	For the past quarter sales of Amiga software increased by
>>34%, as compared to 27% in the MS-DOS and the Macintosh markets.
>>Sales of Unix software increased 400% and OS/2 software by 850%.
>>	Sales of Amiga WordProcessors increased by 80%.
>
>There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

	In New York City, there are lies, damn lies and bus schedules!

>Increased 34% as compared to what?  The previous quarter?  The same
>quarter last year?

	Compared to prior year.

>What do you mean by "sales"?  Cash (dollar) amounts?  Unit numbers?

	I would ASSUME that it was referring to dollar amounts.
That is the most relevant figure, IMNSHO. The article made
special note of the increase in Amiga sales, calling it
'significant' I believe. Unfortunately the article is copyrighted
so I can't reprint it in its entirety.