[comp.sys.amiga] CALL FOR LOCAL DISCUSSION Revision 2: Split the c.s.a group more?

There's a LOT of this, PLEASE read it ALL before posting responses.

BOILERPLATE RANTING - you've seen the "why", here's just the "what":

THIS IS _NOT_ THE TIME TO VOTE (though I will accept proxies).

PLEASE NOTE AND RESPECT THE FOLLOWUP-TO LINE.

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD SUBJECT WHEN RESPONDING.

PLEASE BE PATIENT. Going public 1 Nov 1990, and NOT before.

Thanks  to  those  who  have  already  emailed/posted  many  excellent
suggestions.  The  rest  of  you  too.  ;-)

PLEASE EMAIL suggestions to me, post also if of general interest.

LITTLE TIN DICTATOR MODE: sometimes _I_ decide, when that's the only way.

YOUR SITE IS NOT THE UNIVERSE!  Other sites REQUIRE a split!  COOPERATE!

NEW RANTS:

Subgroups are based on posting volume, not quality. Please  don't  waste
your time and mine telling me group X doesn't deserve to  exist  because
"it's junk". I know it's junk! That's exactly  why  i  want  to  put  it
somewhere most of the subscribers can avoid it! The  volume  _won't_  go
away  by  itself,  wish  though  you  may,  inveigh  though  you  do.

I should have put this in the first proposal;  live  and  learn.  Please
catch up on the group before responding, to be sure you're answering the
most recent revision! A week after the first revision, I'm still getting
comments  on  revision  zero.  Sigh.

END RANT MODE.

To simplify  things,  a  list  of  the  proposed  groups  with  a  brief
description  is  first,  and  the  extensive  discussion  follows.

                                  PROPOSAL

                          comp.sys.amiga.misc

Replaces c.s.a; general talk group.

                        comp.sys.amiga.announce

Moderated: FF-disks, meetings, new products, product updates,  shareware
releases,  uploads  to  archives,  bug  reports,  etc.

                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews

Moderated, archived: where to put your formally written  up  impressions
of new stuff: hardware and freeware, shareware,  or  commercial  serious
and  game  software.

                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

Frequently asked questions, how to use the groups,  and  other  standard
and slow expiring postings, also new users' questions and the answers to
them  from  sympathetic  gurus  go  here.

                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware

Hardware developers', hobbiests', and users' shop  talk  and  assistance
forum.

                       comp.sys.amiga.programmer

(Renames .tech) Software developers'  and  programming  hobbiests'  shop
talk  and  assistance  forum.

                         comp.sys.amiga.games

Talking about buying and playing games; archival quality  games  reviews
go to .reviews, but discussions go on here; "used games forsale" ads  go
to  .market.

                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia

Graphics, video, music, speech, and multimedia combinations.

                      comp.sys.amiga.applications

The   rest  of   the   applications   software   discussions:   business
productivity, desk top  publishing,  personal  finance,  fonts,  printer
drivers, word processing, utilities, hacks, etc.  Commercial,  shareware
and freeware non-games, non-multimedia software applications  talk.  How
to  use,  how  to  interface,  and  so  on.

                         comp.sys.amiga.market

Talk about and personal ads about  buying  and  selling  stuff  for  the
Amiga. Where to find, who to  buy  from,  who  to  avoid,  good  prices,
product  ratings.

                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations

Discussions of the several hardware and  software  emulations  of  other
computers (Mac, IBM-PC, Atari, C64, Apple 2 series, ...) that run  on/in
(software/hardware  emulations,  respectively)  the  Amiga.

                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

All the "here's what the  other  folks  are  doing  and  how  the  Amiga
compares" postings; benchmarks; discussions  of  future  goals  for  the
Amiga,  rumors,  general  "do  it  better"  ranting.

                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

Terminal emulators, networking, using and passing archives,  downloading
and uploading, archive site pointers, general machine to machine  stuff.

                            comp.unix.amiga

Amiga Minix and Unix SYSV4 and successors, all aspects.

                                DISCUSSION

1) Changes from last proposal.
------------------------------

Many of the descriptions got cleaned up.

There was a lot of recent support for  .telecomm,  it  got  back  in  as
.datacomm, a name that describes the archiving part of  the  contents  a
little  better,  while  still  evoking  the  .telecomm  idea  as  well.

With the help of a thesaurus, .compare is now .influence,  a  name  that
better captures the .futures and the  .ranting  aspects  of  the  group.

All Unix discussion, including the stuff that might  have  ended  up  in
.tech, is now in comp.unix.amiga;  comments?  If  the  existing  product
takes off, that group can be split in turn. I tossed Minix in there too;
comments?

2) Some chat about the proposed groups and their names and placement.

                          comp.sys.amiga.misc

This is the net standard "chat"  subgroup  name  for  groups  that  have
leafed. By creating this and removing c.s.a as a target for postings, we
force an immediate upgrade across the net; the proposal, once newgrouped
and rmgrouped, can't be "put off for later". This  also  has  some  news
software and general tidiness niceness for users; there won't be a group
that contains both articles and directories, so scripts can be  simpler.
Post here to reach general c.s.a.* readership, rather than  crossposting
to several other subgroups, if at all possible. This will be a  big  win
for all subscribers. The intention of having so many subgroups  is  that
this group be small, not large, so that everyone can afford to read  it.
Whenever  possible,  post  to  a  single,  more  specific  group.

                        comp.sys.amiga.announce

This seems highly popular; it will probably  be  the  most  read  group.
Think  of  it  as  the  executive  summary  of  c.s.a.*.

                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews

This seemed highly popular, also. Having it  archived  should  make  the
search for information on products easier and faster,  and,  if  we  can
educate c.s.a.* subscribers to look there first, cut down on  a  lot  of
postings.

                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

This name seems fairly well accepted now,  modulo  a  couple  of  people
who'd like the shorter .intro. Per my previous plan, I want to use  full
English  words  where  no  prior  standard  exists,  for  the  sake  of
subscribers in non-English speaking countries. The  FAQ  postings  could
also go to .announce, but I think  having  them  here  with  the  newbie
"help"  interaction  is  best  placement.

                      comp.sys.amiga.applications

This name seems popular, again modulo the slow typists.

                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware

This should get a little more of its appropriate traffic now that  .tech
is renamed and c.s.a is going away. This is one of my  favorite  groups,
because it is one whose content I rarely read, and I can find the things
I do want to  read  just  by  reading  the  subject  lines.  While  it's
dreadfully unfair to have one hardware  group  and  all  these  software
groups, the fact of the matter is that the number of folks competent  to
hack  hardware  is  much  smaller.

                       comp.sys.amiga.programmer

Renames  .tech;  this  should   eliminate  the  stuff  appropriate   for
.hardware,  while  still   focusing  the   discussion   around  software
develop{ers,ment}. This name seems most popular,  though  ".programming"
has been suggested a couple of times. I think there is precedent in some
other  microcomputer  groups  for  the  current  choice.

                         comp.sys.amiga.games

My baby! ;-) Needs to propagate a little better  to  match  the  current
c.s.a   distribution,  and  I'm   trying  to  get   in  touch  with  the
amiga-relay@udel.edu folks to get the relay subdivided, so  games  stuff
from them doesn't end up in c.s.a; this is another  reason  to  newgroup
c.s.a.misc and nuke c.s.a. Anyway, the current success at damping  games
postings to c.s.a shows what a good idea partitioning  c.s.a  is;  there
are lots of people using this group, but also lots joyful _not_ to  read
its  contents  any  more.

                         comp.sys.amiga.market

My name choice here  seems  to  have  slipped  by  with  only  a  little
grumbling. Yea! Some still suggest using the netwide forsale group,  but
1) no one does, 2) this will get the ads out of  .misc  by  creating  an
obvious correct place to put them, 3) there  will  be  a  lot  of  Amiga
specific vendor discussions here. Please DO NOT crosspost to _any_ other
newsgroup;  that's  obnoxious  and  you'll  get  flamed,  deservedly.

                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia

There was a little support  for  shredding  this  out  into  multimedia,
graphics, music, video, speech, but there was more opposition; for  now,
I bundled them all together, and we'll look again in  1992  or  so.  The
proposal to _have_ a multimedia group seemed well supported. I  put  the
print  media  stuff  in  .applications,  though;  comments?

                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations

The support for this has grown a lot since the last posting.  There  are
several who suggested bundling this in with what is now .influence,  but
I'm not going to. Emulation discussions are a legitimate topic  of  high
value to the folks doing emulations, they are just of  limited  interest
to the rest ot the group. I don't find it fair to  dump  the  emulations
people  into  the  general  ranting  of  .infulence.

                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

Name changed; best one I've found yet, suggestions still  welcome;  this
beats .compare, .futures, .rumors, .suggest,  and  several  other  ideas
seen so far (see below). The outbreaks of "why the  Amiga  should  be  a
{mac, ps/2, atari-tt, and so on}" postings are episodic, as are the real
benchmark postings, and the "why Commodore should add feature  X  at  no
additional cost" postings, but when they hit,  they're  hell,  so  let's
give them and the "what the Amiga needs to adopt from new technology"  a
place here. There's no perfect name but this one _is_ a grand magnet for
the  c.s.a  version  of  alt.religion.computers.

                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

A couple of people, a day apart, suggested folding  terminal  emulators,
Ethernet, DNET, Amiga  UUCP,  Amiga  FIDONET,  file  archivers,  packing
uploads,    unpacking   downloads,   ftp   questions,   data    transfer
({x,y,z}modem, kermit, etc.), and archive site locating threads  in  one
subgroup; arranged that way, there's plenty  of  traffic  to  justify  a
separate subgroup. I chose .datacomm instead of .telecomm to reflect the
large data packaging component, when I put the subgroup back  into  this
proposal.

Henrik Clausen made the excellent point that _every_  USENet  subscriber
accessing the net form an Amiga is in  some  sense  interested  in  this
thread, since that's how the newsgroups are accessed, so it should be in
the  current  proposed  partition.

                            comp.unix.amiga

By the time this  proposal  is  enacted,  the  A3000UX  will  be  street
hardware/software, if all goes well on both  sides.  There  are  perhaps
thousands of the machines in the field by now, hundreds  for  sure,  and
the level of existing discussion already justifies a subgroup  (see  NEW
RANTS, above). Let's save the trouble of another vote in  three  months,
and get this done now. This group should, as Bill Vermillion noted,  get
the Amiga specific Unix postings. The  generic  stuff  is  discussed  in
comp.unix.{admin,internals,programmer}  or  comp.os.minix.

As stated earlier, I was willing to be outshouted on the name -- you ALL
win!  Can  I  have  my  mailbox  back  now?  ;-)

3) The capture and care of moderators.
--------------------------------------

The moderators' job is to filter (pass on the suitability of)  postings,
and to add  appropriate  Followup-To:  target  newsgroups  to  postings.

We have at least these volunteers:

  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle)         Sacremento, California
  HONP9@jetson.uh.edu (Jason L. Tibbits III)   Houston, Texas

  [ peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) WITHDREW! ]

Dan's site is nicely available for quick turnaround on announcements, so
I'd like to suggest that he moderate the announce group.  Dan,  can  you
provide   coverage  for   summer/breaks?   Announce   needs   continuous
availability, even if that just means that moderation is replaced by  an
autoposting  mail-to-newsgroup  script  during  vacation  times.

Jason has an accessible site and a  reasonably  endurable  account,  but
needs some hand holding to get started. I've asked him to look into  the
support  available  for  doing  .reviews;  we'll  see.

In addition, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom  Limoncelli)  said  he'd  found
another volunteer to moderate, but gave no name. Is your volunteer still
nibbling,  Tom?

I'd still appreciate some more volunteers, since I'm not in  a  position
to teach the skills of moderating, but there are lots of  moderators  on
the net to ask for scripts and advice. Also, the more volunteers who are
available, the better the chance that two can get full, long  term  site
support  pledged.

I'd  really  appreciate  the  moderator  volunteers  sorting  out  among
themselves who gets which group, to save me refereeing.  Trust  me,  I'm
already  busy  enough.

4) Proposals not added.
-----------------------

> comp.sys.amiga.whine_like_a_baby_but_don't_do_anything_positive_about_it

Cute, real cute. Not included because of the 14 character directory name
limit on older SYSV sites. Otherwise it was in like a shot to cover some
of  the  responses  to  this  and  all  previous  partition  proposals.

Alternatives for .compare:

>	comp.sys.amiga.wars
>	comp.sys.amiga.mongering		(both war and rumors :-)
>	comp.sys.amiga.soapbox
>	comp.sys.amiga.forum			(naw -- too mild)
>	comp.sys.amiga.trashcan
>
>. . . Oh no! I can't stop myslef!  (Marc made me do it :-)
>
>	comp.sys.amiga.free4all
>	comp.sys.amiga.tagteam
>	comp.sys.amiga.inferiority.complex	(oops - 5 levels deep ;-)
>	comp.sys.amiga.pixel_envy
>	comp.sys.amiga.flatulence

Sure. ;-)

5) Other comments.
------------------

COMP.SYS.AMIGA BYE BYE.

The goal is to turn comp.sys.amiga into  a  node  rather  than  a  group
"immediately". I have no plan  to  touch  comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga,
nor  alt.sources.amiga.

RELAYS.

I know about amiga-relay@udel.edu, but can only deduce from the  effects
how it works. Please let me know if you subscribe  to  this  or  another
relay, how I can contact the operator of the relay by email, and how the
relay works (mechanism, utility) from your point of view. The  partition
is going to have a drastic effect on relays of c.s.a, and I need to make
arrangements with the relay operators to get the  needed  changes  done,
and to clean up some  of  the  existing  problems  (like  dumping  games
postings back in c.s.a). I already have the udel.edu operator's personal
email  address,  but  not  his  attention.  Sigh.

NUMBER OF GROUPS.

To the complaints that we can't pass a vote with a lot of groups: we not
only can (comp.unix, comp.sys.mac, and the IBM-PC groups just  did  so),
the group is causing such sysadmin and readership problems, we  have  to
partition it severely. A cut in two or  three  pieces  won't  be  nearly
enough.

HUMAN NATURE.

To the complaints that the problems could  all  be  solved  with  decent
subject lines and modern newsreaders: 1)  people  _don't_  use  sensible
subject lines, and you won't change that behavior by  wishful  thinking,
though it is still a good idea (see below); 2) many, many  readers  have
no choice in their newsreaders, being in BITNET land or other  barbarian
districts [ ;-) ], and some have only "Mail" as a choice  of  newsreader
for c.s.a. For the general readership, therefore, this opinion is simply
false, not to mention self-centered (see  BOILERPLATE  RANTING,  above).

AGGLOMERATIONS.

Several people have suggested lumping things related (at least in  their
minds) together to cut down the  number  of  groups.  The  goal  of  the
partition is to create groups to exclude, not  groups  to  include.  The
more stuff that is lumped together in a single group,  the  greater  the
chance you or the next person will have to read it all to get the  small
part you want, the same problem c.s.a gives now. By  dividing  the  same
set of postings into more, logical subgroups, you can choose to  exclude
some of them more easily without missing what you want  to  read.  There
are some compromises here. For the folks doing Mac  emulations,  plowing
through the Bridgeboard discussions is a nuisance, but  to  the  greater
net that bought the  Amiga  to  be  an  Amiga,  avoiding  all  emulation
discussions is a Good Thing. Thus there is  a  .emulations,  but  not  a
.emuMac,  .emuIBM-PC,  etc.,  the  (fairly)  happy  medium.

On the other hand, just because there  are  two  topics  you  personally
don't want to read doesn't  make  them  good  candidates  for  the  same
subgroup; there are other people who will want to read  exactly  one  of
them,  and  not  plow   through  both  in  one  subgroup.  Thus  dumping
.emulations and .influence (strange bedfellows indeed) together is  very
unfair  to  the  .emulations  subscribers.

SUBJECT LINES.

Edwin Wiles made an excellent  email  suggestion  with  respect  to  the
.applications group: since this group is going to mix a lot  of  topics,
posters should be especially diligent to put the name of the application
prominently (and probably first) in the subject line to assist the folks
using intelligent  newsreaders  to  bypass/choose  certain  topics.  For
example:

    Subject: WORDPERFECT 5.0 -- How do I get my new Farsi font to work?

This is really a good comment  for  all  the  groups,  but  he  made  it
especially for this one. Checking the subject  line  last  thing  before
posting to be sure it is still  appropriate  to  the  contents  of  your
article  is  an  important  part  of  responsible  posting.

Don't change the subject line arbitrarily; that makes it hard to  follow
threads. But don't leave it in an old thread when you've really chosen a
new  topic,  either.

CROSSPOSTING.

Unnecessary crossposting when the groups are split will cause all grades
of grief to the primitive newsreader  sites.  Part  of  the  goal  of  a
complex partition is to provide an explicit and  appropriate  place  for
each posting. If you have something that you feel needs to be in several
groups, post it to .misc instead. If that becomes  the  primary  use  of
.misc, and we can keep crossposting down to 1% or less,  this  partition
will be a big win. This in turn means that if  you  follow  up  a  .misc
thread and only  talk  about  the  part  appropriate  to  _one_  of  the
subgroups, you should change the newsgroups line to just that one group,
and not continue in .misc. That will make the threads a little choppier,
but you will be reaching the audience focused  on  your  intended  topic
better  this  way.

KITCHEN SINKS.

If I'm asked many times, fervently, (it's a horrid editing task of about
450K of stuff), I'll post an enormous compendium  of  email  and  posted
comments on the rev 0 and rev  1  versions,  but  the  above,  I  think,
captures the leanings and good new  ideas,  and  I  doubt  anyone  would
actually  read  the  other.

BOUNCED EMAIL.

My apologies to several email correspondents from out in  weird  address
land; I've had lots of email bounce (email to waterloo.edu  is  breaking
at toronto.edu, for example, and I  suddenly  can't  get  email  through
relay.cs.net, and lots of bitnet address are so bogus by the  time  they
get here and get turned around by Zorch, they break the NASA Ames mailer
going out, one of the most robust mailers worldwide,  and  ...),  and  I
don't have time right now for all the postmaster interactions  it  would
take to get things fixed, while also following the c.s.a discussions and
posting revisions and answering the flood of email on the proposals  and
trying  to  arrange  moderation.

VOTING.

When (LATER!) it is time to vote, I'll put up a ballot to cut and  paste
(or inclusive "R"eply, but change the address!) with yes/no votes on the
functionality of each proposed subgroup; net rules for Yes > (No +  100)
and  Yes  >  (2  *  No)  will  hold  for  these  votes.

Where there is still significant disagreement  about  a  name  (not  one
person posting often and loudly but  lots  of  people  posting  on  each
side),  there  will  be  a  subordinate  vote  on  the  names  proposed,
_plurality_ wins, Little Tin Dictator  breaks  ties  and  decides  which
names deserve even to get a vote on them included in  the  first  place.

Even those voting against the functionality should still vote on a  name
to  get  your  choice  noted  in  case  the  subgroup  passes.

I'll be using an awk script to score the ballots, so the cut  and  paste
is mandatory to keep a  format  that  awk  can  process.  My  sysop  has
promised me a separate mailbox for ballots, too;  posted  ones  or  ones
mailed to my  personal  mailbox  will  be  ignored,  trashed,  spindled,
shredded,  spat  upon,  and  mutilated.

YOUR COMMENTS.

Open season for support,  comments,  and  criticisms;  I'll  comment  on
responding  postings  in  c.s.a  as  needed.

SCHEDULE.

I'll read all the email and comments on this I can find,  and  the  next
version will go to news.announce.newgroups and news.groups, as  well  as
_all_ the Amiga groups. I've only got a couple days past the weekend  to
get something sent to Eliot Lear to make his Friday posting  effort,  so
respond  quickly,  please,  if  you  have  input.

Kent, the man from xanth.
And they're off!

Merge announce and introduction.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct28.001448.25414@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>comp.sys.amiga.influence
>All the "here's what the  other  folks  are  doing  and  how  the  Amiga
>compares" postings; benchmarks; discussions  of  future  goals  for  the
>Amiga,  rumors,  general  "do  it  better"  ranting.

	IMHO, this name needs to be changed.  Even though I have 5 years
experience reading USENET news, I'm unable to guess (from the name) the
purpose of the newsgroup.

	I don't have any fantastic suggestions for a new name, but here
are a few attempts that might give other people inspiration:

		c.s.a.competition
		c.s.a.comparisons
		c.s.a.gripes
		c.s.a.improvements

>comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

	I like ".telecomm" better; easier to parse.

>comp.sys.amiga.market

	I think ".marketplace" is better.  With all the talk about CBM
"marketing" in this group, the given name could be ambiguous.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Department of Computer Science      Johns Hopkins University |
| INTERNET:   barrett@cs.jhu.edu           |                                |
| COMPUSERVE: >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu | UUCP:   barrett@jhunix.UUCP    |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

jimmy@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) (10/29/90)

When the call for votes go out, will we be able to vote yes/no for each
group or will all the groups be lumped together for one vote?

ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (10/29/90)

>                                  PROPOSAL
>                          comp.sys.amiga.misc
>Replaces c.s.a; general talk group.

Fine, whatever.

>                        comp.sys.amiga.announce
>Moderated: FF-disks, meetings, new products, product updates,  shareware
>releases,  uploads  to  archives,  bug  reports,  etc.

Excellent... though I'd modify your description to make the submitters less
tempted towards crass commercial announcements ;^).

>                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews
>Moderated, archived: where to put your formally written  up  impressions
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^^(huh?)
>of new stuff: hardware and freeware, shareware,  or  commercial  serious
>and  game  software.

Again, good idea I guess, though the moderator should be of stern enough
stuff to reject sloppy materials (especially if it's going to be archived.)

>                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction
>Frequently asked questions, how to use the groups,  and  other  standard
>and slow expiring postings, also new users' questions and the answers to
>them  from  sympathetic  gurus  go  here.

I liked someone else's (Peter's?) idea of combining this with announce,
though not if this is unmoderated (you don't specify that here.)  In fact,
I don't see there to be a need for an _unmoderated_ "introduction" - or
perhaps we should call it "newusers" - group.  If the "what's a fish disk"
and "where's ftp and how do I do it" are regularly posted, folks shouldn't
have to INSTANTLY ask the really odd questions.  I think if you REALLY
want an interactive group that doesn't overlap with ".announce" too much,
you should make it ".questions".

>                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware

Of course.

>                        comp.sys.amiga.programmer (Renames .tech)

I too have been one of those folks who sometimes wondered about the diff
between ".hardware" and ".tech" - this would clarify where to post.

>                         comp.sys.amiga.games

Fine, away, away from here!  (As in yes, it helps.)

>                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>Graphics, video, music, speech, and multimedia combinations.

Now WAIT just a doggone minute!

Kent, whoa!  Not _all_ of that in one group.  It would be too BIG.

My hypermedia mailing list has over 100 folks on it - I think I'd better
go grab their comments on this if you need convincing - a LOT of them
have asked to be on the list because they can't handle the type of traffic
in c.s.a..

This multimedia group would get all of the graphics, all of the sound, AND
all of the multimedia stuff.  And by stuff I mean both software (which
would get erroneously crossposted to .apps as well as .misc) and hardware
(which would get crossposted to hardware.)  I for one wouldn't be able to
read it.

Every Dpaint bug?  Every Dr.T's question?  The Video Toaster and the
graphics boards (which would be crossposted to... influence??)  No, no, I
can't deal with something that BIG.

In case you need a reference - our hypermedia group deals with the dozen
or so major multimedia software products (like AmigaVision, Deluxe Video,
etc...)  We can surely see the relevance of talking about more than one
type of product in terms of hooking it all together.  (Like, how do you
convert Music-doohickey files to SMUS so that AmigaVision will play them?
How big do those multimedia files get when your DPaint graphics are all
overscan?)

But - to open up a group to ... essentially anything and everything the Amiga
has special goodies in (gfx, sound, video)... makes the group too big.
If you intend such a catchall you should call it comp.sys.amiga.multipurpose,
not multimedia.

I'm not against the idea of a multimedia group (neither are a lot of folks
in the mailing list, as I'm sure they'll follow up themselves. ;^))
I just say what you're proposing is too wide a scope.

We've already gone over the idea of separate...music, midi, speech, stillgfx,
video, and multimedia groups - and the problem of too much crossposting comes
up.

Thus said -

	1) Does anyone have any bets on how a "sound" group would do,
encompassing speech (generation and recognition) AND music (midi and 8SVX
and SMUS and all that stuff?)

	2) What about a "graphics" group, concerning still pics of all
kinds, PLUS animations and video fx? (This group would have lots of
crossposting to comp.graphics, but no more than already occurs.)

	3) The "multimedia" group would have crossposting from the above
groups, yes, but would be reserved for discussion of -
	a) the special products that handle more than one of the above, and
	b) other, unusual or ad-hoc, multimedia linkages (like the Atlanta
Olympics presentation, for example.)

Do folks think that multimedia can go as a separate group WITHOUT major
huge amounts of crossposting from sound and sight camps?  I do, but I'm
biased. ;^)

Note that I have lumped all sounds and all graphics into 2 groups NOT since
I feel that MIDI is just like synthesized speech or that the Toaster is
just like DPaint, but because I think the combination of VOLUME would
be less likely to either starve or overload the groups, considering that
(IMHO) they are generally coherent topic groupings.

Again, I just say that lumping ALL sound and ALL sight together as
"multimedia" makes too big a group.

>                      comp.sys.amiga.applications
Somehow it seems vague.  Call it bizapps instead?  (I know, you're trying
to keep like the rest of the net...)
>The   rest  of   the   applications software discussions:...
>non-multimedia software applications  talk.
I can see the sharks here.  Mebbe re-think how to chop up software, as
what do Amigoids do for biz...

>                       comp.sys.amiga.market
Ah.  Combo forsale and "Montgomery Grant" tales.  Not a bad cohabitation,
really.  I like it.

>                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations
Good, better than a MONGO kill file (and yes, I can see where it's an
"okay," "legit" group to have too!)

>                       comp.sys.amiga.influence
Would they really stay there?  Most "ranters" seem to cross-post just to
attract flamage.  Be nice if it worked, though... I liked the "mongering"
title too. ;^)

>                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm
Zzz... what?  Huh?  Oh, yeah. ;^)  (The narrow topics of the "perfect vt100
emulation" and "how to do a shared zmodem" generate a LOT of traffic,
frequently of a pretty good s/n ratio.  In other words, I don't wanna read it
but somebody must, and they're honorably serious when they do it. ;^))

>                             comp.unix.amiga
Minix?  Uh, there is a minix group already somewhere.  Comp.os.minix or
something.  It could have some possibly unwelcome crossposting.
>VOTING.

>When (LATER!) it is time to vote, I'll put up a ballot to cut and  paste
>(or inclusive "R"eply, but change the address!) with yes/no votes on the
>functionality of each proposed subgroup; net rules for Yes > (No +  100)
                  ^^^^
Okay, as long as we can vote for/against them separately.

>YOUR COMMENTS.  Open season
Boom ;^)

>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>
>--
>And they're off!
Their...
--
Robin LaPasha              |Keeper of the Amiga

Well, I've been mostly skimming the articles on the subject, not paying a lot
of attention, in the hopes that this would lead to a sort of a fuzzy knowledge
of what the different groups were for, and this morning, it paid off. I just
read a posting that made me react just like someonone new to Usenet, finding
some of the titles to be exactly right, while others leave me wonering what
they could possibly be about. My comments are a reflection of this state of
mind.

In <Oct.29.16.20.14.1990.11541@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>I THINK KENT HAS DONE A REALLY GOOD JOB, AND THAT THIS
>REORGANIZATION IS VERY NEEDED.  Chances are, I will vote for
>whatever proposal makes to Call For Votes.  Anything is better than
>the current situation.

I agree... lots of effort has been expended, and in a productive manner, by
both Kent and the commenters.

>In article <1990Oct28.001448.25414@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>
>>                        comp.sys.amiga.announce
>>                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews
>
>Fine.

Yup.

>>                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

I like it. Says it perfectly. '.into' would do it as well, and in a shorter
form, but no matter.

>>                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware
>>                       comp.sys.amiga.programmer
>>                         comp.sys.amiga.games
>
>Yea!  (If I recall, with the c.s.a.tech vote was running, I posted
>".tech is ambiguous...  let's go with .programmer".  Gloat, gloat, :-)

Agreed.

>>                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>>                      comp.sys.amiga.applications
>
>I still think that ".multimedia" is too broad.
>I still think that ".appliations" should be ".apps".  Not because
>of the long name (I'm the fastest typist I know), but because of
>the precident that the c.s.mac has set.  I won't argue it a second time,
>but I expect the news.groups people will bring it up.

Again... says exactly what it means. I like it.

>>                         comp.sys.amiga.market
>
>I know the definintion, you know the definition, but dispite that
>we're going to get a million marketing questions and flames.  If I
>was a new user and want to rant:  "C0mm0d0re sh00d do more advertz,
>d00d!", I'd be tempted to post it (incorrectly) here.  Don't you
>think?  I know that ba.market sets a precident for this name, but I
>see ".classified" and ".forsale" as better names.  I won't argue
>this, but I think the news.groups people will.  (and I promise a
>big "I told you so" message if my prediction comes true :-=) (big
>smilie with teeth!))

Strongly agree. Since we don't capitalize group names, I would read this as a
'big M Market', with its attendant connotation of Marketing, as in a Marketing
Department; as in that part of CBM that sits around deciding what colour
pamphlets they will give out at the next trade show.

>>                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations

Neutral. No matter. This probably reflects a personal desire on my part to not
ever read anything in the group, no matter what we call it.

>>                       comp.sys.amiga.influence
>
>I hate to say it, but the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups
>are going to say, "this should be called comp.sys.amiga.flame".
>Now, it can be argued that there is an alt group for this, and it
>can be argued that since the group will deal with multiple
>computers, it shouldn't be under just the c.s.a groups.  Maybe a
>comp.flame should be proposed?
>Again, I am just bring these points up because news.groups will; I
>have not formed an opinion on this issue.

'influence'? Frankly, I would not have known what sort of thing would be
appropriate for a group with this name, were it not for the hint supplied by
the suggested ',flame'. I might have guessed that it was meant for postings
about (a) convincing CBM to follow a particular path in Marketing (cf.) The
Amiga, or (b) What impact the Amiga is having on the industry, in business, in
art, etc.

>>                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm
>
>I like it (but I know at least one person will request that it's
>called "c.s.a.dcom".  How about comp.sys.amiga.marco.papa ?  :-)

:-)

>>                            comp.unix.amiga
>
>I like it, but I think news.groups will complain that it's a
>newsgroup for a product that's not out yet.

But it _is_ out. Well, it is if you count the shipments that are sort of more
than beta, and less than full release.... the 'selected customer preview', if
you will.

>>4) Proposals not added.
>>-----------------------
>>
>>> comp.sys.amiga.whine_like_a_baby_but_don't_do_anything_positive_about_it
>
>Damn.

Double Damn.

>I won't argue too much about these names, life if too short to take
>Usenet seriously.  I think the people of news.groups will (they
>must plan on living a long time).  I'm merely trying to bring up
>points that IMHO they will bring up.

Same here... The universe will click another notch on its journey regardless of
what we call the groups. Please note that these comments are not meant to be
anything more than an attempt to look at the proposal from the point of view of
someone with a posting looking for a place to live, and with no previously
ingrained ideas of namespace suitability.

-larry

--
It is not possible to both understand and appreciate Intel CPUs.
    -D.Wolfskill

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/30/90)

Intro:  I just want to say that I used to read news.groups
continually until about 2 months ago.  I doubt the philosophy that
they hold has changed much.  My suggestions are based on what I
think they will yell and scream about.  I'm keeping most of my
personal nit-picking to myself.  Life it too short to get angry
about Usenet.

I THINK KENT HAS DONE A REALLY GOOD JOB, AND THAT THIS
REORGANIZATION IS VERY NEEDED.  Chances are, I will vote for
whatever proposal makes to Call For Votes.  Anything is better than
the current situation.

In article <1990Oct28.001448.25414@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

[Much deleted]

>                        comp.sys.amiga.announce
>                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews

Fine.

>                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

First of all, the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups will
dislike this name.  ".newuser" has precident, why not use it?  (I
admit to often siding with the name.space.control.freaks, maybe I'm
a n.s.c.f wanna-be?  :-) )

>                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware
>                       comp.sys.amiga.programmer
>                         comp.sys.amiga.games

Yea!  (If I recall, with the c.s.a.tech vote was running, I posted
".tech is ambiguous...  let's go with .programmer".  Gloat, gloat, :-)

>                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>                      comp.sys.amiga.applications

I still think that ".multimedia" is too broad.
I still think that ".appliations" should be ".apps".  Not because
of the long name (I'm the fastest typist I know), but because of
the precident that the c.s.mac has set.  I won't argue it a second time,
but I expect the news.groups people will bring it up.

I predict that every .multimedia post will be crossposted to
".applications" and ".software" *or* crossposted to ".hardware"
(depending on the software/hardware nature of the question).
Is this good or bad?  I don't know.

I prefer .multimedia, .apps.biz, and .apps.misc.  I know that's a
big change from the current proposal, so just consider it food for
thought.  I'd just rather see .apps be a hub.

>                         comp.sys.amiga.market

I know the definintion, you know the definition, but dispite that
we're going to get a million marketing questions and flames.  If I
was a new user and want to rant:  "C0mm0d0re sh00d do more advertz,
d00d!", I'd be tempted to post it (incorrectly) here.  Don't you
think?  I know that ba.market sets a precident for this name, but I
see ".classified" and ".forsale" as better names.  I won't argue
this, but I think the news.groups people will.  (and I promise a
big "I told you so" message if my prediction comes true :-=) (big
smilie with teeth!))

>                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations

Wow!  One of my ideas makes it this far!  Makes me glad I collected
those statistics.
Comment:  Where would a new user post "What's the best vt100
emulator?"?  Temptation would be to post it here.  Is this good?
Well, I guess a VT100 emulator is software that emulates an actual
machine.  It could be argued either way.  Again, no opinion.

>                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

I hate to say it, but the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups
are going to say, "this should be called comp.sys.amiga.flame".
Now, it can be argued that there is an alt group for this, and it
can be argued that since the group will deal with multiple
computers, it shouldn't be under just the c.s.a groups.  Maybe a
comp.flame should be proposed?
Again, I am just bring these points up because news.groups will; I
have not formed an opinion on this issue.

>                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

I like it (but I know at least one person will request that it's
called "c.s.a.dcom".  How about comp.sys.amiga.marco.papa ?  :-)

>                            comp.unix.amiga

I like it, but I think news.groups will complain that it's a
newsgroup for a product that's not out yet.

>3) The capture and care of moderators.
>--------------------------------------

>In addition, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom  Limoncelli)  said  he'd  found
>another volunteer to moderate, but gave no name. Is your volunteer still
>nibbling,  Tom?

He didn't say that I could publicly announce his name, but he
didn't say I couldn't.  I'll send him email and ask him to crawl
out from under his rock (or keyboard garage).  BTW, his initials
are MM.  :-)

>4) Proposals not added.
>-----------------------
>
>> comp.sys.amiga.whine_like_a_baby_but_don't_do_anything_positive_about_it

Damn.

Some other notes:
-----------------
People didn't seem to understand that I was joking about electing a
c.s.a net.police person to enforce certain rules.  IT'S A JOKE.

I won't argue too much about these names, life if too short to take
Usenet seriously.  I think the people of news.groups will (they
must plan on living a long time).  I'm merely trying to bring up
points that IMHO they will bring up.

-Tom
--
tlimonce@drew.edu      Tom Limoncelli       "Freedom and justice
tlimonce@drew.uucp     +1 201 408 5389             are opposites"

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (10/30/90)

[This is a re-post... I canceled the original.]

Intro:  I just want to say that I used to read news.groups
continually until about 2 months ago.  I doubt the philosophy that
they hold has changed much.  My suggestions are based on what I
think they will yell and scream about.  I'm keeping most of my
personal nit-picking to myself.  Life it too short to get angry
about Usenet.

I THINK KENT HAS DONE A REALLY GOOD JOB, AND THAT THIS
REORGANIZATION IS VERY NEEDED.  Chances are, I will vote for
whatever proposal makes to Call For Votes.  Anything is better than
the current situation.

In article <1990Oct28.001448.25414@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

[Much deleted]

>                        comp.sys.amiga.announce
>                        comp.sys.amiga.reviews

Fine.

>                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

First of all, the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups will
dislike this name.  ".newuser" has precident, why not use it?  (I
admit to often siding with the name.space.control.freaks, maybe I'm
a n.s.c.f wanna-be?  :-) )

>                        comp.sys.amiga.hardware
>                       comp.sys.amiga.programmer
>                         comp.sys.amiga.games

Yea!  (If I recall, with the c.s.a.tech vote was running, I posted
".tech is ambiguous...  let's go with .programmer".  Gloat, gloat, :-).

>                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>                      comp.sys.amiga.applications

I still think that ".multimedia" is too broad.
I still think that ".appliations" should be ".apps".  Not because
of the long name (I'm the fastest typist I know), but because of
the precident that the "c.s.mac" has set.  I won't argue it a second time,
but I expect the news.groups people will bring it up.

I predict that every .multimedia post will be crossposted to
".applications" and ".software" *or* crossposted to ".hardware"
(depending on the software/hardware nature of the question).
Is this good or bad?  I don't know.

I prefer ".multimedia", ".apps.biz", and ".apps.misc".  I know that's a
big change from the current proposal, so just consider it food for
thought.  I'd just rather see ".apps" be a hub.

>                         comp.sys.amiga.market

I know the definintion, you know the definition, but dispite that
we're going to get a million marketing questions and flames.  If I
was a new user and want to rant:  "C0mm0d0re sh00d do more advertz,
d00d!", I'd be tempted to post it (incorrectly) here.  Don't you
think?  I know that ba.market sets a precident for this name, but I
see ".classified" and ".forsale" as better names.  I won't argue
this, but I think the news.groups people will.  (and I promise a
big "I told you so" message if my prediction comes true :-=) (big
smilie with teeth!))

>                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations

Wow!  One of my ideas makes it this far!  Makes me glad I collected
those statistics.
Comment:  Where would a new user post "What's the best vt100
emulator?"?  Temptation would be to post it here.  Is this good?
Well, I guess a VT100 emulator is software that emulates an actual
machine.  It could be argued either way.  Again, no opinion.

>                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

I hate to say it, but the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups
are going to say, "this should be called comp.sys.amiga.flame".
Now, it can be argued that there is an alt group for this, and it
can be argued that since the group will deal with multiple
computers, it shouldn't be under just the c.s.a groups.  Maybe a
comp.flame should be proposed?
Again, I am just bringing these points up because news.groups will; I

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (10/30/90)

In article <Oct.29.16.47.42.1990.12671@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:

>>                       comp.sys.amiga.influence
>
>I hate to say it, but the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups
>are going to say, "this should be called comp.sys.amiga.flame".

Nobody likes any of these names, (.compare, etc.), but everybody
agrees that it is needed, if only so we don't have to read it.  How
about:

			comp.sys.amiga.ideas

I think it's a very positive name, and it pretty much covers what
people are trying to accomplish in many of the posts.  It would also
neatly encompass those annoying "Commodore should make a standard for
a 29-bit whizbanger, just like everyone else has!!"

>>			comp.unix.amiga

>I like it, but I think news.groups will complain that it's a
>newsgroup for a product that's not out yet.

Out in Australia.  Out at Virginia Tech.  Good enough for me.

>People didn't seem to understand that I was joking about electing a
>c.s.a net.police person to enforce certain rules.  IT'S A JOKE.

Why?  You can't get someone to ENFORCE RULES, but there's nothing to
keep you from REMINDING someone about ETIQUITTE.  This is done
elsewhere on the net.  If you don't believe me, try crossposting
something to misc.forsale.computers and comp.anything.  You will get
read the rules so fast it makes your head spin (yes, I found out the
way you think I found out).  Yes, I know a lot of you reading this
just got annoyed.  Followup for good reasons, e-mail for flames.

>I won't argue too much about these names, life if too short to take
>Usenet seriously.  I think the people of news.groups will (they
>must plan on living a long time).  I'm merely trying to bring up
>points that IMHO they will bring up.

You're probably right.  How about this:

For those groups which have some question about what the name should
be, we vote on the charters, and we also vote on what the name should
be.  For example:

(vote yes or no)
Group to discuss the way fleas always grow on your keyboard and jump
into your shorts, biting you horribly.

(vote for one name for the above group)
comp.sys.amiga.fleas
comp.sys.amiga.fleabite
comp.sys.amiga.keyboard
comp.sys.amiga.bugs
comp.bugs.fleas

I don't know if this is a "legal" way to do this, but it should be.

Anyway, we've got four more days to work this out before the official
call for discussion.

				-Dan Zerkle
				 vapor-moderator

             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Merge announce and introduction.

Huh?

Group .announce is there to provide a _moderated_, _minimal_  group  for
the person who is too busy to follow the discussions but would  like  to
know about important happenings, sort  of  like  news.announce.newgroups
compared to news.groups. The group to read if you have time to read just
one.

On the other hand .introduction is _the_ place to start interacting with
the c.s.a group as a newbie; standard postings of c.s.a.*  charters  and
FAQ and "Welcome to c.s.a", and to get  beginners'  questions  answered.

Dumping the newbie Q&A into .announce would destroy its utility  to  the
busy reader and make it obnoxious. Putting a moderation timelag into the
newbie  Q&A  would  make  it  nearly  useless  as  a  forum.

In brief, not just NO, but ...

On another issue, Robin La Pasha (spelled without looking back,  sorry),
has put forward a strong email argument for splitting  away  .sound  and
.graphics from .multimedia. Seems  the  Amiga  hypermedia  mailing  list
maintained by Robin has a hundred eager readers/writers, many driven out
by the volume of c.s.a, and .multimedia would quickly grow too big  with
their return if all the current topics are kept in the subroup.  Robin's
suggestion is to  have  the  two  indicated  additional  subgroups,  and
reserve .multimedia for discussions which truly blend the media. I think
it's going to n.a.n that way; someone who is running a mailing list  big
enough to qualify as a newsgroup by itself is  a  "more  equal  pig"  in
Orwell's parlance, and gets a heavier "vote" in deciding the  partition.

Also, I have been reminded I seem to need to come  up  with  full  blown
charters for each subgroup. Volunteer authors,  don't  ask,  just  email
your effort to me for any subgroup you want to describe and I'll cut and
paste the results and write the ones myself for which  I  get  no  input
within  a  week  or  so.

Again, moderation seems to be  going  well,  Dan  Zerkle  and  Jason  L.
Tibbitts III have agreed how to split .announce and .reviews, and how to
cover for vacations, and Mike Meyer has also volunteered to moderate  if
one  of  the  others  can't  make  local arrangements.

Hmmm. We  could  always  cut  the  bandwidth  by  moderating  _all_  the
subgroups if we get enough moderators ... that would be  an  interesting
net  precedent.  ;*(  Hey, where did all the flames go?  ;-) =^)

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

In article <1990Oct29.060811.10094@uncecs.edu> ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:
> 	1) Does anyone have any bets on how a "sound" group would do,

Be pretentious and call it "audio". And call the other one "video" to make
sure the desktop publishing folks don't get confused. They really belong in
the .applications group (or comp.sys.mac). The amount of cross dressing
between the two groups is unlikely to be a problem.

Besides, "multimedia" used to be called "audiovisal".

> >                       comp.sys.amiga.influence
> Would they really stay there?  Most "ranters" seem to cross-post just to
> attract flamage.  Be nice if it worked, though... I liked the "mongering"
> title too. ;^)

I still prefer something like ".futures". Or be honest and call it .flame.

> >                             comp.unix.amiga
> Minix?

AMIX.

> Uh, there is a minix group already somewhere.  Comp.os.minix or
> >And they're off!
> Their...
They're. They are off. Jesus, don't nobody learn to talk English good no more?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <Oct.29.16.20.14.1990.11541@pilot.njin.net> limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> Yea!  (If I recall, with the c.s.a.tech vote was running, I posted
> ".tech is ambiguous...  let's go with .programmer".  Gloat, gloat, :-)

You're right. I was wrong.

(news flash, Peter da Silva apologises. Clip this article, it's a collector's
 item)

> I know the definintion, you know the definition, but dispite that
> we're going to get a million marketing questions and flames.  If I
> was a new user and want to rant:  "C0mm0d0re sh00d do more advertz,
> d00d!", I'd be tempted to post it (incorrectly) here.

Good. That way I won't have to read these rants.

> >                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

> I hate to say it, but the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups
> are going to say, "this should be called comp.sys.amiga.flame".

They'd be right.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <6727@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> >comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

> 	I like ".telecomm" better; easier to parse.

How about ".telecom", to follow the precedent of the somewhat redundantly
named "comp.dcom.telecom"?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.022453.2043@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>
   xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Also, I have been reminded I seem to need to come  up  with  full  blown
>charters for each subgroup. Volunteer authors,  don't  ask,  just  email
>your effort to me for any subgroup you want to describe and I'll cut and
>paste the results and write the ones myself for which  I  get  no  input
>within  a  week  or  so.

This is a draft charter.  If you have suggestions for revisions,
please E-MAIL them to ME.  When I feel happy with the revisions, I'll
send it to Kent for the official Call For Discussion.  Here you go:

Draft Charter For Comp.Sys.Amiga.Announce

Name:		comp.sys.amiga.announce

Moderated:	yes

Purpose:	The "news" group of the Amiga computer newsgroups.
		Announcements concerning new products and releases
		of hardware and software, meetings, and events.
		Also, brief news reports of general interest to
		the Amiga community.

General comments:

This is the group that everybody can read quickly to keep up with
developments in the Amiga computing community.  The traffic is
purposely kept low so that users can quickly find important
information without wading through an excessive amount of traffic
on other issues.

This is not an advertising forum.  Product announcements should
list only the features or improvements of a product, with no
sales hype, comments about competing products, or instructions on
how to buy.  They may list a telephone number or postal address
to contact for further information.  Any product announcements
should include an availability date.  Subsequent announcements
about any product or event may only include corrections to
earlier errors.

It is preferred that announcements be from official
representatives.  Quotes from magazines or newspapers are
copyrighted and are not acceptable.  Questionable sources are
verified and confirmed before posting.

No discussion of announcements is permitted, as this group is
intended to be short and easy to read.  Followups for discussion
are redirected to the appropriate other groups.  For example,
followups to an announcement of a new memory card are directed to
comp.sys.amiga.hardware.

Rejected postings are returned by the moderator with an
explanation of the problem and possible suggestions on how to fix
it.

I think this is pretty good, but I want to make sure that nobody out
there has some brilliant idea that I should throw in.  One thing I'm
not sure on:  should companies be permitted to give the list price of
their products, or should that be given over the phone?  Also, are
e-mail addresses permissible sources of "other information"?
Something tells me we shouldn't use the Internet for blatant
commercialism, but e-mail is so nice....

Again, please E-MAIL your suggestions to ME.

In article <10068@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> jimmy@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Jimmy Chan) writes:

>When the call for votes go out, will we be able to vote yes/no for each
>group or will all the groups be lumped together for one vote?

There will be a yes/no for each group, and, if there is still significant
quibbling about names for some groups, a subordinate "plurality wins"
vote for the two or three names most supported.

Nevertheless, I urge each voter to vote yes on the whole split or no on
the whole split.  There are lots of combinations that could come out of
a partially approved proposal that would be worse than leaving things as is.

Remember, we're really not voting on whether we approve of the traffic that
will be in a group, the traffic will exist with or without this proposal;
we're just voting on where that traffic will appear.

I personally plan to create an emailer daemon that sends "take it to
.influence" letters to the author of every rambling flame in another
c.s.a group. ;-)

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>comp.sys.amiga.influence

>	IMHO, this name needs to be changed.  Even though I have 5 years
>experience reading USENET news, I'm unable to guess (from the name) the
>purpose of the newsgroup.

Well, I agree I'd like a better name, I just haven't seen it yet.  For the
really dedicated newsreader, there will be a charter to read.  I'm still
open to suggestions...

>	I don't have any fantastic suggestions for a new name, but here
>are a few attempts that might give other people inspiration:
>
>		c.s.a.competition
>		c.s.a.comparisons
>		c.s.a.gripes
>		c.s.a.improvements

... but none of those capture the full flavor of the group, either.

>>comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

>	I like ".telecomm" better; easier to parse.

But not the name of the group where you'd post your lharc questions.
"Datacomm" is an older name for telecomm, but it carries the extra
meaning needed.  I'm keeping it unless the protest volume rises and
there's no support for this one.

>>comp.sys.amiga.market

>	I think ".marketplace" is better.  With all the talk about CBM
>"marketing" in this group, the given name could be ambiguous.

I was going with a local name, ba.market, which  seems  to  attract  the
appropriate traffic, but your name is nice,  too.  You'll  know  what  I
decided by the weekend, when the CFD I send in tonight should be  widely
available from news.announce.newusers and  news.groups.  Right  now  I'm
leaning  toward  marketplace.

                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> [what news.groups] will yell and scream about:

>>                      comp.sys.amiga.introduction

>First of all, the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups will
>dislike this name.  ".newuser" has precident, why not use it?  (I
>admit to often siding with the name.space.control.freaks, maybe I'm
>a n.s.c.f wanna-be?  :-) )

We are combining for the c.s.a group the functions of news.announce.newusers,
news.newusers, and comp.unix.questions.  The current name better captures
the combined functionality.

>>                       comp.sys.amiga.multimedia
>>                      comp.sys.amiga.applications
>
>I still think that ".multimedia" is too broad.

You and Robin.  It gets split as a group, kept as a name.

>I still think that ".applications" should be ".apps".

No, the number of English as a second  language  folks  on  the  net  is
growing rapidly. We can't afford to ignore the problems our acronyms and
abbreviations cause this group. Rename the existing .apps groups,  don't
make me make a poor choice for this one. Take a look at  the  number  of
French, German, Swedish, Japanese, Spanish and Danish  speaking  readers
_currently_  posting  to  c.s.a.

>I prefer .multimedia, .apps.biz, and .apps.misc.  I know that's a
>big change from the current proposal, so just consider it food for
>thought.  I'd just rather see .apps be a hub.

Again, no.  We're much better off with a flat address space; it makes
things easier for thousands of users.  We can spin off .productivity
later if the demand is demonstrated.

>>                         comp.sys.amiga.market
>
>I know the definintion, you know the definition, but dispite that
>we're going to get a million marketing questions and flames.  If I
>was a new user and want to rant:  "C0mm0d0re sh00d do more advertz,
>d00d!", I'd be tempted to post it (incorrectly) here.  Don't you
>think?  I know that ba.market sets a precident for this name, but I
>see ".classified" and ".forsale" as better names.

Ads aren't the primary purpose of this group, "where do I buy, who's
an honest vendor, what's a good price" postings far outweigh the two
or three ads a day.  If we name it .forsale, the net won't buy it as
different from misc.forsale.computers, even though no one here will
ever use it.  .classified also fails to capture the intent of the
group.

Nevertheless, you're right, that is a  problem,  so  you  win;  it  gets
changed. The recently proposed  alternative  .marketplace  will  replace
.market. With some luck  that  will  repulse  the  marketing  flames  to
.influence  or  whatever  it  ends  up  called, without calling down the
wrath of the net on the subgroup.

>>                       comp.sys.amiga.emulations
>
>Wow!  One of my ideas makes it this far!  Makes me glad I collected
>those statistics.

It was a big area I'd missed, I was greatful for the suggestion.

>Comment:  Where would a new user post "What's the best vt100
>emulator?"?  Temptation would be to post it here.  Is this good?
>Well, I guess a VT100 emulator is software that emulates an actual
>machine.  It could be argued either way.  Again, no opinion.

I can live with the occasional mistargeted post; as long as we get 80%
right, I'll be delighted.  There will be lots of people willing to help
steer newbies straight.

>>                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

>I hate to say it, but the name.space.control.freaks of news.groups
>are going to say, "this should be called comp.sys.amiga.flame".
>Now, it can be argued that there is an alt group for this, and it
>can be argued that since the group will deal with multiple
>computers, it shouldn't be under just the c.s.a groups.  Maybe a
>comp.flame should be proposed?

Our problem is not what to do with flames, or cross computer flames,
it is what to do with a certain portion of the existing traffic in
comp.sys.amiga.  For that we _must_ have a group in the c.s.a.*
heirarchy, and the net WILL NOT let us have it if it is named .flame.

There is a legitimate function of comparing God's Gift to Microcomputers
with the trashy competition ;-) which is why the benchmark postings go
here; if .compare would have attracted all the other stuff we want to
wall off here, I would have kept the name.  I'm still open for an
_excellent_ suggestion for a better name, but variations on pejoratives
are NOT being considered; see again 'legitimate function".

>>                        comp.sys.amiga.datacomm

>I like it (but I know at least one person will request that it's
>called "c.s.a.dcom".  How about comp.sys.amiga.marco.papa ?  :-)

Well, nice as Atalk probably is (I'm using a four year old freeware
package in complete contentment, even though I'm five releases behind),
there's lots of other stuff in here, so we'll wait until Marco goes into
sales to retire his jersey.

>>                            comp.unix.amiga
>
>I like it, but I think news.groups will complain that it's a
>newsgroup for a product that's not out yet.

Two responses: 1) yes it is, and 2) we're still talking traffic, not
hardware/software.  The _talk_ about it is rife.

>>3) The capture and care of moderators.
>>--------------------------------------

>>In addition, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom  Limoncelli)  said  he'd  found
>>another volunteer to moderate, but gave no name. Is your volunteer still
>>nibbling,  Tom?

>He didn't say that I could publicly announce his name, but he
>didn't say I couldn't.  I'll send him email and ask him to crawl
>out from under his rock (or keyboard garage).  BTW, his initials
>are MM.  :-)

Already emerged, then.

>Some other notes:
>-----------------
>People didn't seem to understand that I was joking about electing a
>c.s.a net.police person to enforce certain rules.  IT'S A JOKE.

Not that bad an idea to appoint a traffic monitor over .introduction,
though, if just to notice what questions need to go in the FAQ posting,
and maybe flame the occasional maggot by email.  I'm pushing MM for the
job, since it looks like .announce and .reviews are now moderated.  We'll
see.

>I won't argue too much about these names, life if too short to take
>Usenet seriously.

Second the motion.  I only put up with this garbage because my life has
nothing else in it to take seriously.

hclausen@adspdk.UUCP (Henrik Clausen) (11/01/90)

In article <6929@sugar.hackercorp.com>, Peter da Silva writes:

> In article <1990Oct29.060811.10094@uncecs.edu> ruslan@uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:
> > 	1) Does anyone have any bets on how a "sound" group would do,
>
> Be pretentious and call it "audio". And call the other one "video" to make
> sure the desktop publishing folks don't get confused.

   What about them DPaint, DigiPaint etc. folks who don't use their
graphics for video?

   .graphics is fine, .audio sounds better than .sound to me. .sound is
more like a sound effect group :-)

> > >                             comp.unix.amiga
> > Minix?
> AMIX.

   Would be nice. But the product _is_ Unix!

                                         -Henrik

|         Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data  (for i=0; *Text[i]; i++)        |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |
\__"Do not accept the heart that is the slave to reason" - Qawwali trad__/

In article <1990Oct30.022453.2043@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> On the other hand .introduction is _the_ place to start interacting with
> the c.s.a group as a newbie; standard postings of c.s.a.*  charters  and
> FAQ and "Welcome to c.s.a", and to get  beginners'  questions  answered.

Then change the bloody name. I was confused by it, even after reading your
discussion I thought it was a place for FAQ postings and the like. Other
people are confused too. I think here (and with the .influence group) you're
getting carried away with innovation. Call it .questions.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu (Dan Zerkle) (11/02/90)

In article <6958@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Oct30.022453.2043@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>> On the other hand .introduction is _the_ place to start interacting with
>> the c.s.a group as a newbie; standard postings of c.s.a.*  charters  and
>> FAQ and "Welcome to c.s.a", and to get  beginners'  questions  answered.
   ^^^

>Then change the bloody name. I was confused by it, even after reading your
>discussion I thought it was a place for FAQ postings and the like. Other
>people are confused too. I think here (and with the .influence group) you're
>getting carried away with innovation. Call it .questions.

It's for both standardized postings and for beginners to ask
questions.  I think .introduction is appropriate for a name.

For those who don't like three letter acronyms (TLA's),
FAQ = Frequently asked questions

However, I have to agree on the name .influence.  I think the group is
a good idea, if only so I don't have to read those messages.  I think
the name SUCKS.  It's not perfect, but I think my suggestion for a
name does a little better:

      comp.sys.amiga.ideas

What do other people think of this idea?

-----

On a remotely related note, we have a volunteer (who can name himself
if he wants) that will write the introduction document for the c.s.a
heirarchy, letting people know where and how to post.  His job can
also entail helping out beginners in the .introduction group, and
reminding people of the guidelines if they make a mistake.

This person would not be a moderator per se of .introduction, so Kent
thought we could call him a "monitor".  The group is not to be
moderated, but it would be nice to have someone with a little
experience responsible for helping out.

One of the people I have discussed this with noted that this may or
may not go over well with the net, but it would be worth a trial run
for two or three months.  I tend to agree that it would be worth a
shot to see if people like it.  Certainly, anything to cut down on
misposts and all the bitching people do about them would be
appreciated.

Any (intelligent) opinions on this latter idea?

             Dan Zerkle  zerkle@iris.ucdavis.edu  (916) 754-0240
           Amiga...  Because life is too short for boring computers.

peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>> On the other hand .introduction is _the_ place to start interacting with
>> the c.s.a group as a newbie; standard postings of c.s.a.*  charters  and
>> FAQ and "Welcome to c.s.a", and to get  beginners'  questions  answered.

>Then change the bloody name. I was confused by it, even after reading your
>discussion I thought it was a place for FAQ postings and the like. Other
>people are confused too. I think here (and with the .influence group) you're
>getting carried away with innovation. Call it .questions.

I don't know how they do things in Oz, Peter, but here when you start reading
something, you start with the introduction.  Nothing could be clearer; the
confusion is your desire to have absolutely everything you espouse become law;
there is nothing wrong with that name as a way to get newbies started in the
group.  Back off.
                                                           /// It's Amiga
                                                          /// for me:  why
Kent, the man from xanth.                             \\\///   settle for
<xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>   \XX/  anything less?
--
Convener, ongoing comp.sys.amiga grand reorganization.

eeh@public.BTR.COM (Eduardo E. Horvath eeh@btr.com) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Oct31.024011.22787@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
[...]
>                       comp.sys.amiga.influence

>...  I'm still open for an
>_excellent_ suggestion for a better name, but variations on pejoratives
>are NOT being considered; see again 'legitimate function".

	O.K., here's my suggestion:

			comp.sys.amiga.Marketing

While it may become confused with comp.sys.amiga.marketplace, it does summarize
the precise meaning we are looking for.  It perfectly describes where certain
people (names changed to protect the innocent 8^) can flame C='s marketing or
other companies they don't particularly care for.  Now if we caould only get
the name.space.control.freaks to go along with it, or call it c.s.a.Mktng

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@btr.com
					..!{decwrl,mips,fernwood}!btr!eeh
	"Trust me, I know what I'm doing." - Sledge Hammer

In article <1990Nov2.024156.27836@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
> I don't know how they do things in Oz, Peter, but here when you start reading
> something, you start with the introduction.

I don't know where you are, but in Usenet it's traditional to call these sorts
of groups "newusers" or "questions". All I'm asking is that you follow this
tradition. Sure, it's a newbie magnet... but isn't that what you're proposing
this group *for*?

Flames cheerfully ignored.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <1823acbc.ARN03880@adspdk.UUCP> hclausen@adspdk.UUCP writes:
> In article <6929@sugar.hackercorp.com>, Peter da Silva writes:
> > Be pretentious and call it "audio". And call the other one "video" to make
> > sure the desktop publishing folks don't get confused.

>    What about them DPaint, DigiPaint etc. folks who don't use their
> graphics for video?

Good point. How about ".audio" and ".graphics" then?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.