[comp.sys.amiga] VLT problem

vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) (11/02/90)

Every now and then when using VLT I will accidentally "cat" (type) a binary
file to the screen.  This occasionally causes the font to get messed up so
that some kind of graphics characters get sent to the screen instead of the
regular font.  Is there anyway to reset this from within VLT without having
to terminate and then restart the program?  Thanks.

                              vervalin@austin.lockheed.com

jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) (11/03/90)

vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) writes:

>Every now and then when using VLT I will accidentally "cat" (type) a binary
>file to the screen.  This occasionally causes the font to get messed up so
>that some kind of graphics characters get sent to the screen instead of the
>regular font.  Is there anyway to reset this from within VLT without having
>to terminate and then restart the program?  Thanks.

>                              vervalin@austin.lockheed.com

Yes, just select the 'Lock Graphics' (or hit Amiga-;) and save your VLT.config
file.  This will cause VLT not to go into Tektronix emulation.

Jeff
| "Earth destroyed by solar flare.  Film at eleven"  - The last nightly news.|
| jeffo@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu             These opinions are mine, that's all.|

stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov2.162528.11166@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
> vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) writes:
>
> >Every now and then when using VLT I will accidentally "cat" (type) a binary
> >file to the screen.  This occasionally causes the font to get messed up so
> >that some kind of graphics characters get sent to the screen instead of the
> >regular font.  Is there anyway to reset this from within VLT without having
> >to terminate and then restart the program?  Thanks.

> >                              vervalin@austin.lockheed.com

> Yes, just select the 'Lock Graphics' (or hit Amiga-;) and save your VLT.config
> file.  This will cause VLT not to go into Tektronix emulation.

[Signature deleted of someone who doesn't believe in the
	newline character.]

This is not right since this problem occurs when I'm using the
non-graphics VLT.  The correct way to fix this is to
select Clear Screen from the SCREEN menu, or the Rt.-Amiga C
shortcut.

				Eric Stern
				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric G. Stern) writes:

>This is not right since this problem occurs when I'm using the
>non-graphics VLT.  The correct way to fix this is to
>select Clear Screen from the SCREEN menu, or the Rt.-Amiga C
>shortcut.

>				Eric Stern
>				stern@unix.cis.pitt.edu

So, how about using the "Refresh" option (which doesn't have a hotkey on v4.846
unfortunately), and having VLT redraw the screen as VLT got it from the input
device you chose, or does it also redraw the messed up graphics also?

cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Carson A Gaspar) (11/03/90)

In article <1990Nov2.162528.11166@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jbn35564@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J.B. Nicholson) writes:
>vervalin@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Paul Vervalin) writes:
>
>>Every now and then when using VLT I will accidentally "cat" (type) a binary
>>file to the screen.  This occasionally causes the font to get messed up so
>>that some kind of graphics characters get sent to the screen instead of the
>>regular font.  Is there anyway to reset this from within VLT without having
>>to terminate and then restart the program?  Thanks.
>
>>                              vervalin@austin.lockheed.com
>
>Yes, just select the 'Lock Graphics' (or hit Amiga-;) and save your VLT.config
>file.  This will cause VLT not to go into Tektronix emulation.
>
>Jeff
>--

Theat won't fix it.  He's not getting Tektronix characters, but rather
the graphics character set in VT100 mode.  Try the "Refresh Screen"
option under the "Screen" menu.  If that fails, try "Clear Screen".

Hope this helps.

    /  \                     / BIX: cgaspar                         \
   / C  \ Carson A. Gaspar  / Internet: cag4@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu  \
  / CAG  >-----------------< (Alternate) carson@close.cs.columbia.edu >
  \  G  /  IBM - is that    \________________________________________/
  /\___/\ Amiga compatible? /    Don't try to outweird _me_! I get   \
 /       \_________________/   stranger things than you free with my  \
<  Proud owner of an Amiga \             breakfast cereal!            /
 \  1000 with pawprints    /\           -Zaphod Beeblebrox           /
  \_______________________/  \______________________________________/

jcourtny@pnet51.orb.mn.org (John Courtney) (11/04/90)

> causes the font to get messed up

On the Screen menu, choose the Clear Screen option.  Or press
Right-Amiga-C.  This clears the screen and resets the character set
to the plain set.  I'm assuming that VLT stays on its VT100 screen and
isn't being switched to the Tektronix screen by the trash data.
To prevent that, Choose the Lock Graphics option on the Graphics
menu.  Or press Right-Amiga-semicolon.

UUCP: {crash tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!jcourtny
ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jcourtny@nosc.mil
INET: jcourtny@pnet51.orb.mn.org