[comp.sys.amiga] NeXT Intro

greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) (10/15/90)

In article <1990Oct14.215059.12461@csmil.umich.edu> chymes@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:

[Charles enclosed the following article, which I have edited into little, tiny
 pieces, mo-hahahaha......er....'scuse me.]

[This is not a personal flame to Charles Hymes or Charles Perkins.]

>Article 8066 of comp.sys.next:
>From: clp@wjh12.harvard.edu (Charles L. Perkins)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
>Subject: For more of a flavour of Intro day, here's a personal report.

>A slide shows the Mac II ci
>and fx at about 4 and 7 MIPS (I'm trying to write this all from memory, so
>forgive silly errors), the average of the IBM and Compaq 386 and 486 PCs at
>around 7 and 12 MIPS, and the SPARC SLC and about 12 and the SPARC 1+ at about
>15 MIPS.  Now remember that NeXT wants to be a "Super PC" not a traditional
>workstation, thus the comparison to other PCs, and thus also its positioning at
>15 MIPS -- equal to the SPARC 1+ and exceeding all other available PCs.
            ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^ ^^^^^ ^^

First of all, if I ever needed a reason to dislike Steve Jobs, I've got one
now.  Using (M)isleading (I)ndications of (P)rocessor (S)peed has got to be
one of the most dishonest ways to benchmark a computer.

Second of all, referring to the underlined phrase:  Not even in Steve Jobs'
wettest dreams.  The 040's fast, but it's no RISC.

>   On the price issue, he showed the same MIPS slides with the prices written
>above them for comparison.  I believe they were approx. $8k for the ci, $12k
>for the fx, about $7k and $10k for the 386/486 pair, $6500 for the SLC (all
>machines had the cheapest disk added to them to get them up to the 105 MB
>included in the NeXT), and $9k (?) for the 1+.  The lowest cost NeXT comes in
>at only $4995 retail price.  This includes:
>
>        - 68040 with 8 MB RAM                   - DSP 56001 / CD sound out
>        - 105 MB disk with 2.0 pre-installed    - MegaPixel 17" display
>        - SCSI-2 interface and connector        - 2 improved RS-423 ports
>        - Usual (LOTS) of bundled software      - Integrated microphone
>        - 2.88 MB floppy disk drive             - Twisted pair and BNC ethernet

No color for this model.

From what I hear, NO MATHEMATICA!  I have heard from more than one person
that this was the _ONLY_ reason to buy a NeXT.  In fact, that's why my school
has one...

>   For the applications issue, there were four main thrusts.  Steve presented
>the four areas of interest as:  (1) business productivity apps (traditionally
>dominated by the PC market), (2) desktop publishing and layout apps (Mac),
>(3) custom-designed and tailored high-powered apps (Sun), and (4) To-be-
>discussed-later.  I'll talk about each presentation in turn:

These people are afraid of Multimedia...

>    And, to address the fourth complaint, no color, Steve saved the best for
>last.  He introduced a version of the $4995 NeXTstation called NeXTstation
>Color...
>and costs only $7995.

Yes, friends, a $3000 option.  And guess what?  You can't upgrade a
NeXTstation to a NeXTstation Color...

>A brand new NeXTdimension LIST PRICE is $14k, about 1/3 to 1/4
>the price of comparable ANYTHINGs, workstations, personal IRISes, PCs with all
>those extra boards, etc.

For the price, I'd buy a Toaster...  Granted the NeXTDimension might (MIGHT)
have better performance.  Then again, since I haven't seen them side by
side, I could be wrong about the performance being ANY better...

>   I think this really is the beginning of a new era, just as PCs brought down
>the price of individual computing, this will bring down the cost of individual
>multi-media, integrated environments that can as easily download and utilize
 ^^^^^ ^^^^^
It won't bring this price down with a pricetag of $14K for the NeXTDimension.

>the latest movie, MTV video, and local songwriter's MIDI performance info. as
>they can create their own programs, music, video, and movies.  All information
>services can now begin to combine distribution channels, all forms of media
>can now be edited.  I forget to mention, the NeXT also has a cheap CD-ROM. And
                                                              ^^^^^ ^^ ^^^
How cheap is cheap?  A CD-ROM drive will cost the same amount for any
computer, unless Apple or NeXT makes it, in which case it will cost more...

>don't forget the integrated networking, multi-media mail, and services.  You
>can see the possibilities as well as I...it is an exciting time we live in.

I agree that the new NeXT is exciting, but don't try to tell me that it's all
that revolutionary.  Anyone can advertise an 040 machine before they're out.
Nowadays most manufacturers have the tact to wait until they can actually
start shipping to avoid embarrasment.

>                                                                        Charles

I'm not sure why this was re-posted to this newsgroup.  If it was intended
to clear up a few things, it has only proven that manufacturers can still
get away with alot...

Greg

---------------Greg-Harp---------------greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu----------------
AMIGA! //
      // Don't you just hate those long signature files?  I mean, there oughta
    \X/  be a law.  If I were in control, .sigs would get cut off if they were

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) (10/15/90)

In article <38267@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes:
>First of all, if I ever needed a reason to dislike Steve Jobs, I've got one
>now.  Using (M)isleading (I)ndications of (P)rocessor (S)peed has got to be
>one of the most dishonest ways to benchmark a computer.

   Yes, but when everyone else talks in shades of green, sometimes you
must, too.  I assume they're quoting Dhrystone v1.1 MIPS, scaled relative
to VAX 11/780 performance on same.  Everyone does this; so?  Actually,
NeXT has in my opinion conservatively rated the NeXTstation's performance
(based on my experience with, er, other brands of '040 boxes :).  Kudos
to them, if true (or tomatoes if their compiler is really that bad :).

   And sure, any single benchmark is misleading.  Anyone with a brain
listens for as many results on as many benchmarks as possible, and tries
to fit that to what what he/she knows they'll use the box for.

>Second of all, referring to the underlined phrase:  Not even in Steve Jobs'
>wettest dreams.  The 040's fast, but it's no RISC.

   Uh-oh, another True Believer.  I can assure you that a properly built
25MHz '040 system with decent compilers and runtime libraries will outperform
a SPARCstation 1 on a wide variety of benchmarks, and bench equal to a 1+.
33 and 50MHz '040s are a block or so down the road.

   Yes, I know any handful of other RISCs will eat an '040 for breakfast,
etc, etc -- my point is that RISC is only a philosophy, not a guarantee.  A
properly-built CISC can run rings round a poorly-built RISC.  The '040 is
a properly-built CISC.  Who *CARES* which religious persuasion the underlying
silicon holds to, if it delivers better performance?  Pay attention to the
facts, not the marketing dross.

>Yes, friends, a $3000 option.  And guess what?  You can't upgrade a
>NeXTstation to a NeXTstation Color...

   I observe that [a] the Mac managed to do quite well for years without
color (with an icky 9" screen, too), and [b] for a lot of applications, a
decent resolution grey-scale is good enough.  Besides, "They" said you
couldn't put a hard-drive in the original Macs; who's to say that if the
NeXTstation is a big-hit, that some enterprising 3rd party won't come up
with a way to retrofit color onto the basic slabs..

--
"I feel lightheaded, Sam.  I think my      | (Steve) rehrauer@apollo.hp.com
 brain is out of air.  But it's kind of    | The Apollo Systems Division of

ddyer@hubcap.clemson.edu (Doug) (10/16/90)

rehrauer@apollo.HP.COM (Steve Rehrauer) writes:

>>Yes, friends, a $3000 option.  And guess what?  You can't upgrade a
>>NeXTstation to a NeXTstation Color...

>   I observe that [a] the Mac managed to do quite well for years without
>color (with an icky 9" screen, too), and [b] for a lot of applications, a
>decent resolution grey-scale is good enough.  Besides, "They" said you
>couldn't put a hard-drive in the original Macs; who's to say that if the
>NeXTstation is a big-hit, that some enterprising 3rd party won't come up
>with a way to retrofit color onto the basic slabs..

And by then, what will the 3000 have stuck in it?  If you're gonna gamble,
gamble both ways.  With a bus for all kinds of extras, and a color monitor
from square one...

Out of curiosity, what are the ties between Jobs and Apple (ie. for one,
he had to use the black hole, had to include a 100mg HD).  Is NeXT allowed
to mass market?  I heard somewhere that they could'nt until some date.  Of
course, I'm usually wrong anyway :-)

Bye,
Doug

--
---------------------------------//-------------------------------------
Doug Dyer  Clemson University   //   Check Is In The Mail (HeeHeeHaaHaa)

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (10/16/90)

The one thing I despise the most is to try to solve a speed problem by throwing
a faster processor at it. This is the fix for slow windows operation on an I**.
It is now the fix for the NeXT and it's slow display! Dosen't anybody try and
write fast code any more? (Yes, I do see the need for faster processors, but
people seem to use this fix to much!)

					Paul

In article <38267@ut-emx.uucp> greg@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Greg Harp) writes a lot
of downbeat stuff about the NeXT.

Look, it's not just for students any more. I don't know about it not coming
with Mathematica, they're probably bundling Lotus Improv instead. Here are
some real advantages of the NeXT over those other workstations:

	(a)	It doesn't run native BSD UNIX (AKA kitchen sink). They
		still run the standard stuff under BSD emulation, but new
		drivers and services don't have to go into the kernel.
	(b)	It's not running Ecch Windows. For people actually interested
		in getting work done instead of hacking, this is a huge
		improvement. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of playing
		"what does this mouse button do in this application".

> First of all, if I ever needed a reason to dislike Steve Jobs, I've got one
> now.  Using (M)isleading (I)ndications of (P)rocessor (S)peed has got to be
> one of the most dishonest ways to benchmark a computer.

So why pick on Steve Jobs for that? Does this mean you hate his opposite
numbers at Sun, DEC, MIPS, etc... as well?

> Second of all, referring to the underlined phrase:  Not even in Steve Jobs'
> wettest dreams.  The 040's fast, but it's no RISC.

	It's more than that. 040+DSP+better O/S.

> No color for this model.

	If your primary output device is videotape, color is vital. If it's
	a laserprinter, color is a distraction.

> These people are afraid of Multimedia...

	The NeXT is *shipping* multimedia mail, and it works. For them
	Multimedia is a productivity tool, not the main application.

> For the price, I'd buy a Toaster...

The Toaster and NeXTdimension are completely different products with different
markets. The Toaster is a video processing board for TV resolution images. The
NeXTdimension is a Postscript accelerator and high-res display card. Comparing
the two is like comparing a Porsche 911 and a Mercedes Benz.

Now I get to comment two levels up:

> >I think this really is the beginning of a new era, just as PCs brought down
> >the price of individual computing, this will bring down the cost of
> >individual multi-media...

The Amiga created the multimedia market, really. And it's a lot less than the
NeXT. I'm not sure that the NeXT is that good for the sort of TV-class stuff
the Amiga excells at, but it's a lot better at getting everyday multimedia
on people's desks. Not for production work, but just to help them get their
everyday work done. Superior e-mail and financial projection software, not
Digiview and Sculpt-4d.

The NeXT is very like a high-end Amiga... and it *does* do a lot of stuff
a lot better than Ami. Some stuff Ami does better. But apart from the Amiga
UNIX offering they're in completely different markets. They're complementary,
not competition.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

In article <38292@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
> The one thing I despise the most is to try to solve a speed problem by
> throwing a faster processor at it. This is the fix for slow windows
> operation on an I**.  It is now the fix for the NeXT and its slow display!

What slow display? It's at least as fast as any equivalent workstation.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

cring@hpihoah.cup.hp.com (Craig Ring) (10/17/90)

Greg Harp writes about the new NeXT computers:

> Yes, friends, a $3000 option.  And guess what?  You can't upgrade a
> NeXTstation to a NeXTstation Color...

The new bottom of the line NeXTstation is not color.  But why would you want
to pay for color if you don't need it?  Color is rarely useful for spreadsheets
and word processing.  If these are the primary uses for the machine, an
1120 x 832 grey-scale display is probably all you need.  No one wants to pay
for "features" that are of no use to them.  Color is available if you want it.
The $3000 is the difference in list prices.  It is closer to $1900 with
educational discounts, and includes more RAM.

>>A brand new NeXTdimension LIST PRICE is $14k, about 1/3 to 1/4
>>the price of comparable ANYTHINGs, workstations, personal IRISes, PCs with all
>>those extra boards, etc.
>
>For the price, I'd buy a Toaster...  Granted the NeXTDimension might (MIGHT)
>have better performance.  Then again, since I haven't seen them side by
>side, I could be wrong about the performance being ANY better...

NeXTdimension has very impressive performance.  It includes an i860 RISC
graphics co-processor, and a dedicated JPEG image compression processor,
allowing real-time compression and decompression to hard disk.  This means
video from a hard disc!  NeXTdimension provides 32-bit color, and can display
any of these colors on any of the pixels on an 1120 x 832 pixel display.  That's
tough to do on an Amiga.  As far as speed, I saw the Wizard of Oz being played
in a window in full color with full windowing operations going on including
clipping.  That means while the video was playing, you could grab the window
and move it around, or pull other windows on top of it without affecting the
video in any way.  NeXTdimension has Closed-caption, TeleText, and VITC
support, and includes composite video, S-VHS, and RGB inputs.  Video
output is genlocked to input video source.  While the Wizard of Oz was
playing in one window, clicking on a "grab" button produced a nother window
with the frame "grabbed" for use in a paint program instantly.

How much would it cost to make an Amiga do these things?  Amigas are supposed
to be the platform of choice for desk-top video, but they are sorely limited
in resolution and number of colors.  A complete NeXTdimension system including
monitor and disc is around $9000 with an educational discount.

Craig Ring
cring@hpihoah.cup.hp.com

netnews@ccc.amdahl.com (Jonathon L. Jenkins) (10/17/90)

/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */
/*                                                           */
/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/17/90)

In article <38292@ut-emx.uucp>, amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
|> The one thing I despise the most is to try to solve a speed problem
by throwing
|> a faster processor at it. This is the fix for slow windows operation
on an I**.
|> It is now the fix for the NeXT and it's slow display! Dosen't anybody
try and
|> write fast code any more? (Yes, I do see the need for faster processors, but
|> people seem to use this fix to much!)
|>
|> 					Paul

Well, they have done several things actually.  On the NeXTDimension,
they have a separate computer executing the Color Postscript stuff,
thus offloading stuff from the main processor (040).  Version 2.0 of the OS
is revamped and much more efficient.  In all, the display stuff is faster.

One thing that I wish Commodore had done for Intuition is incorporated
jump scrolling support in their windows.  Do a type in a shell window,
and it scrolls pitifully slowly.

			See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@zip.eecs.umich.edu
gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu     Ralph_Seguin@ub.cc.umich.edu
gilgalad@sparky.eecs.umich.edu    USER6TUN@UMICHUB.BITNET

Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
536 South Forest	|
Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
(313) 662-4805

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.201359.29059@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
>One thing that I wish Commodore had done for Intuition is incorporated
>jump scrolling support in their windows.  Do a type in a shell window,
>and it scrolls pitifully slowly.

Yes, yes, yes, yes.... [in emulation of a certain "bit" in TRON]

David Navas                                   navas@sim.berkeley.edu
"Excuse my ignorance, but I've been run over by my train of thought."  -me

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (10/17/90)

I don't fell that the NeXT has a big student base since the hardware can
cost you big $$$$ and the software isn't that cheap. (Isn't Improv $1000?
There's no WAY I'd pay that much for a spreadsheet, unless:

1) It was REALLY good and I was confident that I wouldn't need another
for the net 10 years.

2) IT comes with a whole bunch of other little goodies, like deveopment
tools, or a worksheet compiler, etc.

3) I was on Steve Job's daily salary. :)

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph
ARPA: valnet!joseph@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
INET: joseph@valnet.UUCP

In article <6813@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <38292@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>> The one thing I despise the most is to try to solve a speed problem by
>> throwing a faster processor at it. This is the fix for slow windows
>> operation on an I**.  It is now the fix for the NeXT and its slow display!

>What slow display? It's at least as fast as any equivalent workstation.

I have to agree with the original poster. The Cube with system 1.0 seemed to
me about as slow as a Sun 3/50 running SunView. I find that kind of performance
pretty hard to accept, since the NeXT is clocked at twice the speed of a 3/50,
and the processor itself should be so much faster at a given clock rate.

When I first heard about the NeXT cube, I thought to myself, "wow, this is
gonna be one Hot machine! 25 MHz 68030, 68882, DSP, 12 channel DMA! Cool!"
The reality left me completely underwhelmed. Reading the propaganda for the
new NeXTStations, I found myself thinking, "wow, this sounds really hot!"
But, I believe I have to have faith that Steve Jobs will once again take
wonderful hardware and mire it down in terrible software. He's been doing it
since the days of the Apple III and Lisa; I'm sure he will continue.

--
  -- Howard Chu @ University of Michigan
  one million data bits stored on a chip, one million bits per chip

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (10/17/90)

hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:

>In article <6813@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <38292@ut-emx.uucp> amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:
>>> The one thing I despise the most is to try to solve a speed problem by
>>> throwing a faster processor at it. This is the fix for slow windows
>>> operation on an I**.  It is now the fix for the NeXT and its slow display!

>>What slow display? It's at least as fast as any equivalent workstation.

>The reality left me completely underwhelmed. Reading the propaganda for the
>new NeXTStations, I found myself thinking, "wow, this sounds really hot!"
>But, I believe I have to have faith that Steve Jobs will once again take
>wonderful hardware and mire it down in terrible software. He's been doing it
>since the days of the Apple III and Lisa; I'm sure he will continue.

  At a recent meeting, Bud Tribble (NeXT Software Engineer and former Mac
software engineer) stated something along the lines of "I believe that
80-90% of a computer's power should be used to run the user interface.
With a 15 MIPS computer, we still have a few cycles left over to do some
work".

(Whether you agree with him or not is another matter of course)

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"The All Blacks?  Who are they? - some plebian

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/19/90)

In article <f2ou02gZ02Q501@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com writes:
>Now let's see if I wanted a comprable Mac system I could buy well????
>Nothing because none of them have 68040 chips in them. Same with
>Atari, and Amiga.  IBM(clones) are a different story because they
>do have i486 which is equal in perf. to a 68040.

The 486 is nowhere near the 68040 in performance.
Commodore and Apple will be coming out with their own 040 boxes.
I think I will wait to see what they come out with before I purchase
my NeXT (pun intended 8-) machine!  I want to get a machine with
68040, megapixel color display, UNIX and BIG hard drive (all for
nothing 8-)!  I hope that Commodore can deliver the package that
I want for a good price.
People should also note that NeXT is seriously backordered on the NeXTs
and will only start production in November.  If you order now, you
can expect to get your machine sometime after January (and the 16000+
people that ordered machines before you).

>The NeXT comes with lots of software and some damn good hardware and it
>has performance that is better than a Sparc.

Depends on the SPARC.

>The NeXT also has IB which is terrific if you want to roll your own
>software.  Also who says there are no applications for the NexT.  There
>is about 400Mb of FREE; that't right FREE software ditributed Lighthouse
>Designs called The First Compilation and it has a $125.00 media fee.
>Included is X11 and some other things for MIDI, complete GNU stuff, and
>a lot more.

This is true.  The IB is beautiful.  I hope that we get something like
it for the Amiga.  I see the quality of Amiga products improving at
a dramatic rate.

>                Kent.

			See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu

In article <1990Oct17.020736.6223@math.lsa.umich.edu> hyc@math.lsa.umich.edu (Howard Chu) writes:
> >What slow display? It's at least as fast as any equivalent workstation.

> I have to agree with the original poster. The Cube with system 1.0 seemed to
> me about as slow as a Sun 3/50 running SunView.

Oh come on. The only slow thing I noticed was program startup. I have no idea
why it takes so long to launch a program, but once it's up it's zippy. Where
Sun drags a window by dragging a crosshatch outline (much like the Amiga)
NeXT manages to drag the whole window in real time. Other actions are similarly
quick.

It's as fast as any Sun running X.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

andrey@astride.cs.caltech.edu (Andre T. Yew) (10/19/90)

	Before all the Amiga owners get panicky over the $3300 NeXTstation,
they should know certain things.

On 18 Oct 90 17:54:03 GMT, kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) said:

KLS> Now let's see if I wanted a comprable Mac system I could buy well????
KLS> Nothing because none of them have 68040 chips in them. Same with
KLS> Atari, and Amiga.  IBM(clones) are a different story because they
KLS> do have i486 which is equal in perf. to a 68040.

	This is not necessarily true.  It all depends on what you want to do.

KLS> The NeXT comes with lots of software and some damn good hardware and it
KLS> has performance that is better than a Sparc.

	This is also not true.  Again, it depends on what you want your
computer to do.

KLS> The NeXT also has IB which is terrific if you want to roll your own
KLS> software.  Also who says there are no applications for the NexT.  There
KLS> is about 400Mb of FREE; that't right FREE software ditributed Lighthouse
KLS> Designs called The First Compilation and it has a $125.00 media fee.
KLS> Included is X11 and some other things for MIDI, complete GNU stuff, and
KLS> a lot more.

	Remember that the basic NeXTstation does not come with any compilers.
True, you get a license to all of NeXTstep 2.0, but you're going to have to
somehow get that software onto your NeXT, and try to shoehorn the stuff you
need onto the disk.  Also, isn't the Lighthouse compilation on optical disks?
The basic NeXTstation at $3300 does not have an optical drive.  Adding an
optical drive would drive the cost up severely.  It's a nice letter writing
machine at $3300, but has close to no programming functionality.

						Andre Yew

KLS> --
KLS> /*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
KLS> /*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */
KLS> /*                                                           */
KLS> /*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */
--
andrey@through.cs.caltech.edu	  		      Andre Yew
       131.215.128.1

gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) (10/19/90)

>> I have to agree with the original poster. The Cube with system 1.0 seemed to
>> me about as slow as a Sun 3/50 running SunView.

>Oh come on. The only slow thing I noticed was program startup. I have no idea
>why it takes so long to launch a program, but once it's up it's zippy. Where
>Sun drags a window by dragging a crosshatch outline (much like the Amiga)
>NeXT manages to drag the whole window in real time. Other actions are similarly
>quick.

Yeah!  I wish that they had that on Intuition!  Hmmm... I don't seem to
notice too much of a problem with applications starting up (speedwise
that is).  Are you loading off of the magneto-optical?  I'm using
a 660, and things are quite snappy.  Also, you might want to go up
from the piddly 8 megs that comes standard.  16 gives you enough
space to keep paging down, and 32 is just plain great.  Ohhh,
one more thing, NeXT applications are HUGE.  Simple applications
can run over a meg easily (just like X stuff).

>It's as fast as any Sun running X.

Ummmm... Sun 4/380?  I doubt that 8-)  How about RS/6000 Station 730?

>--
>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

			See ya, Ralph

gilgalad@dip.eecs.umich.edu       gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu

Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
536 South Forest	|
Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
(313) 662-4805

bartonr@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Robert L Barton) (10/19/90)

  Isn't there a NeXT group where these things can be posted?

In article <1990Oct19.080037.13261@engin.umich.edu> gilgalad@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ralph Seguin) writes:
> Yeah!  I wish that they had that on Intuition!  Hmmm... I don't seem to
> notice too much of a problem with applications starting up (speedwise
> that is).

Go into Mail and click open a sample. It takes quite a while to load the
voice player. All the program loads are slow. And this was on a standard
NeXTstation with the 100M, and a NeXT cube with a 660. The 8 Megs might not
be enough... reasonable diagnosis. But overall display speed is quite
adequate. It's up to Amiga speeds, where most X systems seem more like an
8-color Mac-II.

> >It's as fast as any Sun running X.

> Ummmm... Sun 4/380?  I doubt that 8-)  How about RS/6000 Station 730?

I haven't seen those, but they're quite a bit more expensive. It's also
slower than the Intergraph with its accelerated graphics.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

So when will we get a NeXT emulator for the Amiga? Maybe when we have a 68040
board? I wonder how the 3000 would do?

Let's see the emulators so far are:

Mac
AppleII (running under Amax)
Atari ST
BBC (British computer)
IBM
CP/M
Timex (I believe I saw someone post that there is one of these)
Commodore 64

About the only ones I think we are missing so far are:
CoCo, TI/99, Atari 800, NeXT, SUN and Sun Sparc, Pixar, Iris, PDP-11s, Vaxen,
and Crays (and a few other esoteric workstations and super computers).

Let's get cracking guys! I wanna Cray PC.

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

SCK@ibm.com (10/20/90)

>>It's as fast as any Sun running X.

>Ummmm... Sun 4/380?  I doubt that 8-)  How about RS/6000 Station 730?
  Excuse me, but if you want real speed from an RS/6000, why not choose
the 540 which is 41.1 MIPS ( No flames on use of MIPS please) compared
to the 730 which is only 34.5 MIPS. Not to mention the 540 has more
slots for memory. X windows runs faster on the 540 anyhow due to the
speed differences in the graphics boards, it just can't display 16.7
million colors.

>>--
>>Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
>><peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

>Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
Scott C. Kennedy (SCK @ YKTVMV)            |      (QP06 @ PACE)
High Performance Computing Environment     |  Computer Science Dept.
I.B.M. Thomas J. Watson Research Facility  |     Pace University
RS/6000 makes a great fileserver to an Amiga 2500!! I love NFS!!!!

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (10/20/90)

On 19 Oct 90 08:00:37 GMT you said:
>>> I have to agree with the original poster. The Cube with system 1.0 seemed to
>>> me about as slow as a Sun 3/50 running SunView.
>
>>Oh come on. The only slow thing I noticed was program startup. I have no idea
>>why it takes so long to launch a program, but once it's up it's zippy. Where
>>Sun drags a window by dragging a crosshatch outline (much like the Amiga)
>>NeXT manages to drag the whole window in real time. Other actions are
>similarly
>>quick.

Funny, the NeXT that I have toyed with was plain slow all the way around.
The mouse pointer jumps, the windows jump while dragging them, the icons have
no names so you have no idea what you are running.  Great B/W display a little
fuzzy though.  Applictions started slow.  Once you had the program started
I guess it was pretty usable, but the wait was incredible.

>Yeah!  I wish that they had that on Intuition!  Hmmm... I don't seem to
>notice too much of a problem with applications starting up (speedwise
>that is).  Are you loading off of the magneto-optical?  I'm using
>a 660, and things are quite snappy.  Also, you might want to go up
>from the piddly 8 megs that comes standard.  16 gives you enough
>space to keep paging down, and 32 is just plain great.  Ohhh,

Oh come now, 32 megs?  What a ridiculous amount of memory.  It takes
32 megs for a NeXT to run quickly?  I have 4 megs on my 3000 and it's
quite snappy.  Who has the money to buy 32 megs of memory?  Kinda
reminds me of the 500 syndrome to an extreme.  It comes with 512k
but to do anything with a 500 you have to get the 512k expansion to 1 meg.
When you start talking 16 megs and 32 megs, you have already priced it
out of the home market by leaps and bounds.  That just seems to be a total
waste of memory.  When I first read this I thought it was a joke.  But you
are quite serious.

>one more thing, NeXT applications are HUGE.  Simple applications
>can run over a meg easily (just like X stuff).

I won't say anything about this.  SIMPLE applications on the Amiga are around
10k.

>Ralph Seguin		| "You mean THE Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
>536 South Forest	|
>Apartment 915		| "No.  Haven't you heard, I come in six packs!"
>Ann Arbor, MI 48104	|
>(313) 662-4805

When a system NEEDS 16 megs to run properly there is something QUITE wrong if
that system is to be considered any kind of home computer.  I just wonder what
market this system is trying to hit.  I mean the Amiga can run and multitask
to some degree on 1 meg.  On 4 megs it's just about right.  You put 8 on there
and you'd run out of chip ram before you'd run out of fast.  16 megs and who
knows what you could do.  Put 32 megs on it and ???

||NeXT- (nekst) N. The only PC to have sold less than 10,000 units and ||
||                 not be considered a flop.                           ||
||------------------------------------------/ /------------------------||
||---Brian Wright                    |     / /                         ||
||---s36666wb@etsuacad.etsu.edu      | \ \/ /  Only Amiga              ||
||---Commercial Artist and Amigaphile|  \/\/      Makes It Possible!!  ||

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (10/20/90)

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:

>>Yeah!  I wish that they had that on Intuition!  Hmmm... I don't seem to
>>notice too much of a problem with applications starting up (speedwise
>>that is).  Are you loading off of the magneto-optical?  I'm using
>>a 660, and things are quite snappy.  Also, you might want to go up
>>from the piddly 8 megs that comes standard.  16 gives you enough
>>space to keep paging down, and 32 is just plain great.  Ohhh,

>Oh come now, 32 megs?  What a ridiculous amount of memory.  It takes
>32 megs for a NeXT to run quickly?  I have 4 megs on my 3000 and it's
>quite snappy.  Who has the money to buy 32 megs of memory?  Kinda

  Is your 3000 with 4 megs running Unix?  Does it have demand-paged virtual
memory?   Please compare apples to apples...  Wait till the A3000UX comes out
and then compare.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"To tell the truth, I'm absolutely buggered" - Peter Jones

In article <34029@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
> When a system NEEDS 16 megs to run properly

I found it quite acceptable at 8 Megs.

> there is something QUITE wrong if
> that system is to be considered any kind of home computer.

It's not a home computer. It's a personal computer.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) (10/21/90)

On 20 Oct 90 01:25:17 GMT you said:
>S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>
>  Is your 3000 with 4 megs running Unix?  Does it have demand-paged virtual
>memory?   Please compare apples to apples...  Wait till the A3000UX comes out
>and then compare.

Thanks, but no thanks.  UNIX is a Dinosaur that has become the trendy operating
system as of late.  It can and will consume every last amount of memory that
you throw at it.  Why anyone would need 32 megs on a home computer is beyond
me.  I don't even think that the HP UNIX machines we have here on campus have
more than 8 and certainly not more than 16 megs.

In article <34088@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
> Why anyone would need 32 megs on a home computer is beyond me.

This is a red herring. Yes, it's a damn shame that all systems don't still
run in 64K. I'm bummed out that you can't run 2.0 in a 1000... how dare it use
all that memory! Why, the 256K in the original 1000 should be enough for
anyone! Crap.

The fact that it's over $2000 kills it as a home computer. Of course, that
also kills your Amiga 3000. Why $2000? That's about the most disposable
income you can expect an average middle-class working stiff to come up
with, short of taking out a loan.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (10/22/90)

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) writes:
[about why the NeXT just _has_ to have 32 Megs...]
>  Is your 3000 with 4 megs running Unix?  Does it have demand-paged virtual
>memory?   Please compare apples to apples...  Wait till the A3000UX comes out
>and then compare.

No, but my 3b1, with 2 Megs, is running Unix with demand paged virtual
memory.  Goes pretty good, too, for just a 68010 :-)
--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

jmeissen@oregon.oacis.org ( Staff OACIS) (10/22/90)

In article <34088@nigel.ee.udel.edu> S36666WB%ETSUACAD.BITNET@ricevm1.rice.edu (Brian Wright) writes:
>Thanks, but no thanks.  UNIX is a Dinosaur that has become the trendy operating

"Unix is a dinosaur, CPM and MSDOS are toys! Only OS-1 will survive!"

OS-1? What's that :-) :-)  Anybody else remember this?

--
John Meissen .............................. Oregon Advanced Computing Institute
jmeissen@oacis.org        (Internet) | "That's the remarkable thing about life;

In article <3411@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>Let's see the emulators so far are:
>
>Mac
>AppleII (running under Amax)
>Atari ST
>BBC (British computer)
>IBM
>CP/M
>Timex (I believe I saw someone post that there is one of these)
>Commodore 64

Add a CBM 8032 emulator to the list. It is existing, though not
publicly released (but I have a copy from the author :-).

>In article <3411@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>>Timex (I believe I saw someone post that there is one of these)

My error. It's the Sinclair Spectrum that is emulated. not the timex
(I was thinking Timex-Sinclair)

--

rblewitt@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Richard Blewitt) (11/04/90)

In article <3443@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:

>>In article <3411@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>>>Timex (I believe I saw someone post that there is one of these)
>
>My error. It's the Sinclair Spectrum that is emulated. not the timex
>(I was thinking Timex-Sinclair)

The Timex-Sinclair 2068, and the ZX Spectrum were practally the same
computer, the 2068 just had a few extras thrown in.

                                             Rick Blewitt
                                             rblewitt@ucsd.edu