jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (03/27/90)

From: Kenneth J. Jamieson: <tron1@tronsbox.uucp> writes:

> I have send a few shareware contributions (DBW Render is one).... and in
> one notable case I have FAR exceeded what the author asked for. This was
> W. Hawes's "BATTLEMECH" game.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~
I believe you mean Ralph Reed.  ('Though CONMAN is certainly worth it!)

> By far this is the BEST Amiga program written of its type, commercial or
> otherwise , the upgrades have been very useful. Every update I got a
> card for like 6$ for the upgrade , OR 2$ and a floppy , I would often
> send 15$ AND a floppy.

Ralph is certainly VERY conciencious about updating the program and
supporting registered owners.  BTW, the game is now called MECHFORCE
(BattleMech->BattleFort->BattleForce->Mechforce).  Ralph provides
updates (minor bug fixes, etc.) to registered owners via BBS downloads
on the Hobbit Hole.  If you are a registered owner, you may feel free to
call and request that he give you access to that section of the BBS.

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Hobbit Hole --- MechForce HQ.

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (03/27/90)

Since Tad has made it clear that he has nothing against games, and I've
seen some comments that Ralph Reed's MechForce (aka BattleMech,
BattleFort, BattleForce) has been well received, I've taken the liberty
of making the file /incoming/amiga/MechForce-3.71.lzh available at
XANTH.CS.ODU.EDU.

This is the freely distributable version of the system that contains a
fully playable game, but no FACTORY or WARRIOR modules.  If you want the
full-blown RPG version, you'll have to register with Ralph.

   --- Cal
           ____
 HOBBIT   / / /  340 Meg Online
  HOLE   / / /  12/24/9600HST bps                   AMIGA:
  ____  / / /  Exclusively   Amiga
  \ \ \/ / /  "Best Amiga BBS in FL"    The computer for the BEST of us!
   \ \ \/ /  July, 1989 Final List(tm)
    \_\_\/  A comfortable place to meet
 --------------------------------------
 MechForce Headquarters.
 Cal Jones, Sysop.  904-243-6219  24Hrs

robert@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu (Robert Lindsay) (06/01/90)

Does anyone (Cal Jones are you listening?) know whats up  with
Ralph Reed's MechForce game? I sold my Amiga 1000 before moving out
here to OK and am in the process of getting a 2|3 000. Mechforce
is still the best wargame for the amiga by a long shot. Will it
work on the 3000? what's the current version? Whats coming next for
it?
	Robert Lindsay (living in a state with NO A3000's)

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (06/02/90)

Robert Lindsay <robert@alliant.backbone.uoknor.edu> writes:

> Does anyone (Cal Jones are you listening?) know whats up  with Ralph
> Reed's MechForce game? I sold my Amiga 1000 befo
re moving out here to OK
> and am in the process of getting a 2|3 000. Mechforce is still the best
> wargame for the amiga by a long shot. Will it work on the 3000? what's
> the current version? Whats coming next for it?

Ralph is working on some sort of a "secret project" and is planning to
go to Chicago next week and talk with FASA.  That's all I know right
now.  He is continuing to provide updates to MechForce on a regular
basis (he posted the latest fix to the registered version to the BBS
last night) and plans to continue providing that support.

Since Ralph does all the development work on his A2000 with an A2630
board, I'd suspect that everything will work on an A3000.  If anyone
wants to loan him one to check it out on, I'm sure he'd be happy to
oblige!  8-)

   --- Cal
   //  Cal Jones - Internet:  <Jones@UV4.Eglin.AF.Mil>
 \X/               BBS:  904-243-6219  1200-9600HST  340Meg, all Amiga
                         Single Tasking?    *JUST SAY NO!!!*
                              Home of MechForce

jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) (10/23/90)

"David R. Tyler" <dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us> writes:

>  unfortunately, why bother getting it? i didnt play around with it
> (my roomie did) but it appears to be identical to the previous BATTLEFORCE
>  distribution (i havent compared authors yet, as i don't know where i have
>  BFORCE dl'ed.., are they the same? (it could be BATTLETECH instead of
>  FORCE, but you know what i mean :) )

A brief lesson in (future) history:

First there was BattleMech, a two player game with each player
controlling a single Mech.  Computer just kept up the display.

Next came BattleFort.  Here multiple human players could take on a
computer comtrolled fortress.

Then came BattleForce.  you could control a force of Mechs against
either other player(s) or against the computer.  Also, the author, Ralph
Reed, starts discussions with FASA about his game, seems it is fairly
close to something called BattleTech.

So we get MechForce (at about version 3.60 of BattleForce) which bears
little resemblence to BattleTech, right?   8-)

Anyway, the discussions with FASA will probably lead to the development
of a REAL BattleTech for the Amiga, written by Ralph Reed (Not another
Activision game) within 18 months or so.

Each of the versions that Ralph produced was distrubuted in two ways:
first, there is a freely distributable version of the main game program.
It may be posted anywhere. (I think it's MechForce-3.71.lzh at abcfd20,
but I may be a bit off --- on BBSs it should be MFORCE71.LZH).

Each distribution archive contains instructions for registering your
copy and receiving additional programs that allow you to build your own
mechs, set up specific objectives for the game, set up teams (clans???),
edit maps, and various things like that.  (You might gather, I don't
play, but I know the author).

Ralph supports the product through mailings to registered owners
whenever a major upgrade is made, and allows registered owners to
download updates from my BBS WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE UPDATES MAY
*NOT* BE FURTHER DISTRIBUTED!

If any of you would like to contact the author, he can be reached on my
BBS.

   --- Cal
           ____

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (10/27/90)

In article <34333@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
>"David R. Tyler" <dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us> writes:
>
>A brief lesson in (future) history:
>
>First there was BattleMech, a two player game with each player
>controlling a single Mech.  Computer just kept up the display.
>
>Then came BattleForce.  you could control a force of Mechs against
>either other player(s) or against the computer.  Also, the author, Ralph
>Reed, starts discussions with FASA about his game, seems it is fairly
>close to something called BattleTech.
>
>Anyway, the discussions with FASA will probably lead to the development
>of a REAL BattleTech for the Amiga, written by Ralph Reed (Not another
>Activision game) within 18 months or so.

                         ATTENTION MECH WARRIORS!!!

     FASA has proceeded with the aformentioned Battle Tech project.  They are
building a Battle Tech Simulator in Chicago.  The simulator consists of one
or more lances.  Each Mech has three(?) networked Amigas to do the cockpit
display, lights, indicators, etc.  The netork is an Arcnet net with an I*M
server that links all the Amigas.  I didn't understand if the actual simulator
pods rocked when the Mech moved or not, but the cockpit display looked pretty
impressive!  The goal is to have Battle Tech leagues (Lances, to any fellow
Mech Warriors out there...) that meet once a week or more often, like bowling
leagues in simulators nationwide.  Mech Warriors would be able to fight with
or against lances in simulators in different parts of the country.  I thought
the simulator was supposed to be open sometime within a year from now, but I
have no idea of the current status of the project or who is doing the
programming.
                                     --George

     Hunter's Hammers -- As human beings they were all flawed...

Major   Roger Hunter commanding.
Capt.   Mor Mikis (command lance)     Capt.   Daniel Graves (recon lance)
Lt.     Victor Maxamillion            Lt.     Moloch
Sub Lt. Robert Hudson                 Sub Lt. Catrina Sliverson

Capt.   Winston Thunderstorm (air lance)
Sub Lt. Hurapu                        Sub Lt.  William Grippen

turk@tree.uucp (Rob Turk (1-1-90)) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct27.054619.19864@news.iastate.edu>, skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) writes:
> In article <34333@nigel.ee.udel.edu> jones@uv4.eglin.af.mil (Calvin Jones, III) writes:
> >"David R. Tyler" <dave@aquarium.buffalo.ny.us> writes:
> >
> >Anyway, the discussions with FASA will probably lead to the development
> >of a REAL BattleTech for the Amiga, written by Ralph Reed (Not another
> >Activision game) within 18 months or so.
>

>                          ATTENTION MECH WARRIORS!!!
>
>      FASA has proceeded with the aformentioned Battle Tech project.  They are
> building a Battle Tech Simulator in Chicago.  The simulator consists of one
> or more lances.  Each Mech has three(?) networked Amigas to do the cockpit
> display, lights, indicators, etc.  The netork is an Arcnet net with an I*M
> server that links all the Amigas.  I didn't understand if the actual simulator
> pods rocked when the Mech moved or not, but the cockpit display looked pretty
> impressive!  The goal is to have Battle Tech leagues (Lances, to any fellow
> Mech Warriors out there...) that meet once a week or more often, like bowling
> leagues in simulators nationwide.  Mech Warriors would be able to fight with
> or against lances in simulators in different parts of the country.  I thought
> the simulator was supposed to be open sometime within a year from now, but I
> have no idea of the current status of the project or who is doing the
> programming.
>                                      --George

Wasn't there an article on this a few months ago in Amazing Amiga Computing?
I think it was on one of the last pages.  It mentioned some names and
companies involved.

akcs.amiganet@vpnet.chi.il.us (brian vargyas) (11/05/90)

The BattleTech Center in Chicago is OPEN and running!  I havn't been there
myuself, but a few others that were there said it was great!  If I get some
more info, I'll post it.