[comp.sys.amiga] GraphicDump

vlsi4@erato.cs.kun.nl (Freddy Aries) (11/02/90)

I know there are lots of programs that remain in the background and
can save or print graphics at keypress. But have you ever tried using
such a program with the graphicscreen from some great game or slideshow
(take the psygnosis slideshow for example).
So I have a colour printer, and I want to use it.
I only (?) want to know how i can save these screens to disk as IFF images,
or just print them directly. All these 'great' graphic grabbers have failed
to do this. Could anyone explain to me why?

Thanks in advance,
                      Freddy Aries

FAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFA
A    mail: Freddy Aries, Heidevenstraat 154, NL-6533 TW Nijmegen           F
F    tel.: +31-80-555932 (weekend: +31-5443-72040)                         A
A    Faculty of Maths and CS, University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands      F
F   Email: vlsi4@erato.cs.kun.nl                                           A
AFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAFAF

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (11/03/90)

In article <2401@wn1.sci.kun.nl> vlsi4@erato.cs.kun.nl (Freddy Aries) writes:
>I know there are lots of programs that remain in the background and
>can save or print graphics at keypress. But have you ever tried using
>such a program with the graphicscreen from some great game or slideshow
>(take the psygnosis slideshow for example).
>So I have a colour printer, and I want to use it.
>I only (?) want to know how i can save these screens to disk as IFF images,
>or just print them directly. All these 'great' graphic grabbers have failed
>to do this. Could anyone explain to me why?

Unfortunately, many games (and some demos) totally bypass the Amiga's
Operating System. This means that any background utilities you have running
on your system that use the OS will be totally ignored when you have a game
loaded. Hope that helps.

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@commodore.COM
                                              | or uunet!cbmvax!spence
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | "A picture is worth 1000
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | words, or about 300,000
                                              | bytes."

vlsi4@erato.cs.kun.nl (Freddy Aries) (11/05/90)

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) writes:

[my original posting deleted]

>Unfortunately, many games (and some demos) totally bypass the Amiga's
>Operating System. This means that any background utilities you have running
>on your system that use the OS will be totally ignored when you have a game
>loaded. Hope that helps.

Well, I heard about utilities that are capable of - after a reset - finding
the picture in memory and saving it to disk. I would be fully satisfied if
I could reset the computer when the picture I want is on the screen, and
then still be able to find it somewhere in memory, and save it as IFF, so
I could print it out. Does anybody know any of these utilities?