[comp.sys.amiga] GIF to 24bit IFF

axjjb@acad2.anc.alaska.edu (BRYANT JOHN J) (10/19/90)

Does anyone have a gif to 24bit iff convertor.  Is there one out.  I have TAD
(So I should just purchase the GIF loader right?)..anyways...I need a GIF to
24bit IFF soon (for a 24bit color display I am creating using the HAM-E)

Ijust ordered my HAM_E and am eagerly awaiting it (finally) :-)

John J Bryant
Student Computer User Consultant
University of Alaska Anchorage
Discalimer:  What did I say???

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (10/25/90)

> Does anyone have a gif to 24bit iff convertor.  Is there one out.  I have TAD
> (So I should just purchase the GIF loader right?)..anyways...I need a GIF to
> 24bit IFF soon (for a 24bit color display I am creating using the HAM-E)

I'm not sure what type of 24 bit files that HAMLAB creates but HAMLAB is
shareware (and a great program I might add) and it will allow you to pipe your
GIF file to a 24bit file.  You can probably ask Ed Hanaway(?) more about that
as I believe he is the author.

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  `It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!' ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
_________                                                          ___________
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854

jeh@sisd.kodak.com (Ed Hanway) (10/29/90)

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) writes:

>> Does anyone have a gif to 24bit iff convertor.  Is there one out.  I have TAD
>> (So I should just purchase the GIF loader right?)..anyways...I need a GIF to
>> 24bit IFF soon (for a 24bit color display I am creating using the HAM-E)

>I'm not sure what type of 24 bit files that HAMLAB creates but HAMLAB is
>shareware (and a great program I might add) and it will allow you to pipe your
>GIF file to a 24bit file.  You can probably ask Ed Hanaway(?) more about that
			      closer than usual :-) ^^^X^^^
>as I believe he is the author.

HAMLAB does convert GIF to a temporary 24-bit file as an intermediate step to
HAM conversion.  Alas, the 24-bit file format is not IFF, but rather a
very simple format (a few bytes of header followed by a raw 24-bit RGB dump).
You can run the HAMLAB GIF convertor by itself to create this file
(gif2hl <file.gif > file.24bit) but it will take a little (probably very little)
work to convert it the results to 24-bit IFF format.

Ed Hanway
uunet!sisd!jeh

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) (10/31/90)

There are several programs available to do this. I have seen (may have) a
program that makes 24-bit files from Gif files, if I find it I shall upload
it to newxanth. Also, a program called RGBXchange will convert various
formats of 24-bit (i.e. Gif, targa, sculpt, etc..)

On the commercial side, The Art Dept. does an excellant job!!

-Duane

specter@disk.UUCP (Byron Max Guernsey) (11/03/90)

n350bq@tamuts.tamu.edu (Duane Fields) writes:

>There are several programs available to do this. I have seen (may have) a
>program that makes 24-bit files from Gif files, if I find it I shall upload
>it to newxanth. Also, a program called RGBXchange will convert various
>formats of 24-bit (i.e. Gif, targa, sculpt, etc..)

>On the commercial side, The Art Dept. does an excellant job!!

>-Duane

There is a program for the Iris (SGI system) that converts or display GIF files
in 24 bit graphics. I think I have it around here somewhere. It could be use to
convert them to 24 bit files, but of course it is now IFF standardized.

Byron Guernsey

LDSHANER@MTUS5.BITNET (Leon D. Shaner) (11/06/90)

The FBM package will very blindly take a 24 bit .GIF and create a 24-BIT
IFF even though most viewers cannot handle it...  More importantly, the
FBCAT program used to do the above does not pay much attention to resolution,
it just passes the data through unmolested...

If find this to be a great way to take .GIFs and print them on my 24Pin color
printer at 360DPI by running the resulting IFF picture through PageStream which
will utilize my printer's resolution and will print 24bit IFF's