[comp.sys.amiga] Apology to Howard Diamond for Hothead Post

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>May I decry the bonehead stupidity of forbidding dealers from handing
>>out copies?  WHAT HAS COMMODORE GOT AGAINST FREE ADVERTISING?  Is your
>>sales line going to plummet because user groups start showing Amiga 500
>>owners what the A3000 can do?  We don't ask much out here, Howard, but
>>the tiniest evidence of a shred of thought would be so pleasant for a
>>change.
>
>Hey, Kent, mellow out, I haven't seen any other significant computer
>corporation with vice presidents posting regularly to the net and carrying
>on conversations with users.  We don't need to start insulting Howard Diamond,
>please!

Sigh.  How right you are; I was shooting my mouth off without knowing the
facts.

Sorry, Howard, I was out of line.  Humble apologies, etc.

The rest of marketing can feel free to jump up and down on my carcass for
a while too.

Kent, the man from xanth.

diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct22.031850.21820@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:
>> xanthian@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>>May I decry the bonehead stupidity of forbidding dealers from handing
>>>out copies?  WHAT HAS COMMODORE GOT AGAINST FREE ADVERTISING?  Is your
>>>sales line going to plummet because user groups start showing Amiga 500
>>>owners what the A3000 can do?  We don't ask much out here, Howard, but
>>>the tiniest evidence of a shred of thought would be so pleasant for a
>>>change.
>>
>>Hey, Kent, mellow out, I haven't seen any other significant computer
>>corporation with vice presidents posting regularly to the net and carrying
>>on conversations with users.  We don't need to start insulting Howard Diamond,
>>please!
>
>Sigh.  How right you are; I was shooting my mouth off without knowing the
>facts.
>

>Sorry, Howard, I was out of line.  Humble apologies, etc.
>
>The rest of marketing can feel free to jump up and down on my carcass for
>a while too.
>
>Kent, the man from xanth.
><xanthian@Zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> <xanthian@well.sf.ca.us>

No Problem....In fact, I was more frustrated than you could imagine, when I
was told that we had limited copy access to some of the materials used in the
video.....I thought then, and still think that it would be a GREAT sales tool.

I try not to overreact to shots at Commodore Marketing.....we are making
progress, but are not at all where we want to be, or where we know the AMIGA
deserves us to be........
--

Howard S. Diamond  Director of Education, Commodore Business Machines
1200 Wilson Drive West Chester, Pa, 19380

new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) (10/26/90)

In article <15380@cbmvax.commodore.com> diamond@cbmvax.commodore.com (Howard Diamond - Ed Marketing) writes:
>No Problem....In fact, I was more frustrated than you could imagine, when I
>was told that we had limited copy access to some of the materials used in the
>video.....I thought then, and still think that it would be a GREAT sales tool.

I have not seen the video, and I obviously don't know which parts are
restricted, but maybe you could chop out the parts that are restricted and
produce a version that *would* be freely distributable?     -- Darren
--
--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,

In article <34615@nigel.ee.udel.edu> new@ee.udel.edu (Darren New) writes:

>I have not seen the video, and I obviously don't know which parts are
>restricted, but maybe you could chop out the parts that are restricted and
>produce a version that *would* be freely distributable?     -- Darren

	If you cut out the restricted parts what's left isn't
worth it. There is a part of the video which flashes rapidly
through several action-clips of things like the space shuttle or
racing cars, etc. Every one of them practically is copyrighted.

>--
>--- Darren New --- Grad Student --- CIS --- Univ. of Delaware ---
>----- Network Protocols, Graphics, Programming Languages,
>      Formal Description Techniques (esp. Estelle), Coffee -----

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

I know this is probably a radical idea... but what about paying for the right
to use these clips, if you can find enough artists that aren't pissed off by
now? I mean, after last year's ghastly ads, it couldn't help but be cheaper
and it'd certainly be more effective!
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>	If you cut out the restricted parts what's left isn't
>worth it. There is a part of the video which flashes rapidly
>through several action-clips of things like the space shuttle or
>racing cars, etc. Every one of them practically is copyrighted.

So, take the basic concept, and make it with stuff that isn't copyrighted.
The basic concept is great fast paced music in the background and flashing
clips of Amiga ray-traced animation, applications, flying logos,
genlocked video clips, all tastfully rolled into a 30 second spot that basically
says "Heres what you can do with an Amiga"

The actual clips used isn't important, as long as they are visually exciting and
well done.

Something else that would be nice is to make 1 minute commercials showing the
interviews with the various people from the Amigavision laserdisk demo who
are talking about what they do with the amiga. The commercials could be spread
out over an hour or two on TV. First the flashy one. then 15 minutes later,
do the interview with the guy who uses the Amiga for animation. then later
the clip about music, then later, the clip about business, etc. If the clips
contain copyrighted material, just reshoot them using people who don't mind
being interviewed and shown on a commercial.

[Just don't jiggle the camera during the commercials, ala AT&T :-) ]

--
John Sparks         |D.I.S.K. Public Access Unix System| Multi-User Games, Email
sparks@corpane.UUCP |PH: (502) 968-DISK 24Hrs/2400BPS  | Usenet, Chatting,

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) (11/04/90)

I just thought of something that might be a great commercial for the Amiga.
On saturdays I always see one of those 1hr commercials for car wax or somthing
like that. Why not have commodore produce an amiga computer show. People showing
How to do anims, etc...... Or better yet, make it something like Mr. Wizard and
get kids involved.

Amiga@walt.utexas.edu	                   .....Paul......

I like boats, they're healthier than valium.
					Cost more tho.

amiga@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Paul) writes:

>I just thought of something that might be a great commercial for the Amiga.
>On saturdays I always see one of those 1hr commercials for car wax or somthing
>like that. Why not have commodore produce an amiga computer show. People showing
>How to do anims, etc...... Or better yet, make it something like Mr. Wizard and
>get kids involved.

Please! NO!!!! If CBM did an "info-mercial" on the Amiga, I would disown my
amiga and go buy an IBM or a Mac. Info-mercials are the most dis-honest thing
to ever hit TV. They come on disguised as unbiased TV news, or talk shows, or
consumer watchdog shows, and do a slimey hard sell on chintzy products that
would be better advertized in the back of a comic book. 20/20 did an expose'
on them and you wouldn't believe the lies they tell. They even HIRE their
live audiences from acting agencies!

Now, CBM wouldn't lie or cheat (I hope not anyway) and would probably produce
a pretty honest show. BUT... just being associated with an 'info-mercial' is
enough to turn many people (including myself) off in a hurry.