erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/14/90)

From: quantum@pro-exchange.cts.com (Mike Solomon) Message-ID: <1796@crash.cts.com>

>Im having some trouble with my monitor. I have an Amiga 500 with a 1084
>Monitor.  I have ONE pixel that does not cooperate with the rest of my
>monitor.  It goes the opposite color, or just displaysa different
>color..usually black. Also, Most of the right side of my screen is slighty
>discolored in a way.. i get a blue on top of every purple line, and red below
>every white line.. and it is a little darker on that side, its weird.  If

Just an interesting tidbit and possible solution to your problem..

It's probably a little known fact that monitors and TV's are produced
for the hemisphere that they will be used in (Well,I didn't know). If
you bought your monitor in say Australia and brought it to the US or
where ever North of the Equator you would have probably the same
effect that you mentioned in one corner of the monitor. Try (I know
this sounds insane) turning your monitor up-side down and see if the
colors snap back to normal. For the curious like me try turning your
monitor on its head and check it out it really whacks out. I read
that it has something to do with the polarity of the Earths Magnetic
field at your local. BIZZARREE .

--
 -------------------------------------------------//-------------------------
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,

kosma%stc-sun@stc.lockheed.com (Monty Kosma) (03/17/90)

   From: Erick Parsons <americ!erk@AUSTIN.lasc-research.LOCKHEED.COM>
   Date: 13 Mar 90 23:19:27 GMT

   From: quantum@pro-exchange.cts.com (Mike Solomon) Message-ID: <1796@crash.cts.com>

   >Im having some trouble with my monitor. I have an Amiga 500 with a 1084
   >Monitor.  I have ONE pixel that does not cooperate with the rest of my
   >monitor.  It goes the opposite color, or just displaysa different
   >color..usually black. Also, Most of the right side of my screen is slighty
   >discolored in a way.. i get a blue on top of every purple line, and red below
   >every white line.. and it is a little darker on that side, its weird.  If

   Just an interesting tidbit and possible solution to your problem..

   It's probably a little known fact that monitors and TV's are produced
   for the hemisphere that they will be used in (Well,I didn't know). If

Well, I'm not so sure about this...

...but, more often, a problem like this tends to be related to something
nearby the monitor generating a magnetic field.  Try moving the monitor
to a different location (away from speakers, telephones, wires, pipes in
the wall, etc.) and see if the funny colors change or go away.  More
expensive video monitors typically have a degaussing button which sort of
make the monitor acclimate to its magnetic surroundings, but you'll
probably have to just move it around until the picture looks better.

monty
kosma@alan.decnet.lockheed.com

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) writes:

>From: quantum@pro-exchange.cts.com (Mike Solomon) Message-ID: <1796@crash.cts.com>

>>Im having some trouble with my monitor. I have an Amiga 500 with a 1084
>>Monitor.  I have ONE pixel that does not cooperate with the rest of my
>>monitor.  It goes the opposite color, or just displaysa different
>>color..usually black. Also, Most of the right side of my screen is slighty
>>discolored in a way.. i get a blue on top of every purple line, and red below
>>every white line.. and it is a little darker on that side, its weird.  If

>Just an interesting tidbit and possible solution to your problem..

>It's probably a little known fact that monitors and TV's are produced
>for the hemisphere that they will be used in (Well,I didn't know). If

Although this is true (monitors made for the northern hemisphere can act
up below the equator and vice-versa) I think this is grasping at straws.

Sounds more like the convergence is off. A monitor uses three electron beams
(red, green, and blue) to produce the scan lines. In order to make a perfect
scan line, all three beams have to focus (converge) on the same spot.
If they don't you will get colored shadows around objects displayed on the
screen.

You need to take it into a service center and get it reconverged.
Actually a TV service shop would probably be a better place to get it fixed up.
Most computer service centers don't have the equipment to adjust monitors.
Ask them first.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

akcs.clemon@wcbcs (Craig Lemon) (03/20/90)

>It's probably a little known fact that monitors and TV's are produced
>for the hemisphere that they will be used in (Well,I didn't know). If

   Not only that.  A difference in latitude can make the difference as well.
 It doesn't have to even be much.  I found this out when i bougtht my
Multisybc (which are exceptionally 'weak' when it comes to the differences
in magnetic fields).  These monitors can be conked out moving from
Whitehorse to Toronto, or from Milwaukee (sp?) to New York.  It isn't a
really bad effect that makes it unusable but it should be recalibrated after
any move.

--                            _
 Craig Lemon              // |_|
 Kitchener, Ontario     \X/  | |  M  I  G  A

 Amiga 2000 -- 2400 bps -- AmigaUUCP 1.03D
 ..!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!lemsys!clemon
 ..!watmath!xenitec!wcbcs!{AKCS.clemon,_clemon}
           ^^ Not Reliable Yet

tjhayko@THUNDER.LAKEHEADU.CA (11/06/90)

To the guy selling the analog RGB monitor:

        Sorry, please pass the monitor along to the next person in line.
        I tried to send you personal mail, but our mailer is messed up.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth

* Tom Hayko                    * only the Amiga         /// *
* tjhayko@thunder.lakeheadu.ca * (Commodore is starting///  *
*                              *    to know that)  \\\///   *
*                              * and it's about time\XX/    *

QUIT