[comp.sys.amiga] Trouble with Sonix

ekins@infonode.ingr.com (Brian Ekins) (11/04/90)

Yesterday I tried to run Sonix on my 2000 and when I double click one the
icon it begins to load and then everything slows way down.  The cursor
tracks very slowly and the computer is slow to react to any input.  If
I let it churn away eventually Sonix will come up, but it still is running
slow and is unusable.  I have not changed anything on my system since I
last used it,  which was quite a while ago.  I thought maybe the disk was
bad but the same thing happens with my original.  The Sonix disk has
AmigaDos on the disk.  I also tried booting up off another disk with
AmigaDos 1.2 and another with AmigaDos 1.3, both with the same result.
I haven't had any problem, so far, with any other software that I've run
recently.

Any suggestions?

umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Robert Birch) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov3.213601.11474@infonode.ingr.com> ekins@infonode.ingr.com (Brian Ekins) writes:
>Yesterday I tried to run Sonix on my 2000 and when I double click one the
>icon it begins to load and then everything slows way down.  The cursor
>tracks very slowly and the computer is slow to react to any input.  If
>I let it churn away eventually Sonix will come up, but it still is running
>slow and is unusable.  I have not changed anything on my system since I
>last used it,  which was quite a while ago.  I thought maybe the disk was
>bad but the same thing happens with my original.  The Sonix disk has
>AmigaDos on the disk.  I also tried booting up off another disk with
>AmigaDos 1.2 and another with AmigaDos 1.3, both with the same result.
>I haven't had any problem, so far, with any other software that I've run
>recently.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>|    __  o      Brian Ekins
>|    _ </-      Intergraph Corp.                       205-730-7633
>|      />       ...uunet!ingr!b17d!ekins!brian         (UUCP)
>+---------------------------------------------------------------------------+

  I had this same problem it is due to you having your modem attached to the
computer. Turn the modem on and everything will function properly. The reason
it does this is Sonix seems to be looking for a midi device on the serial port.

                                               Robert Birch
                                             <umbirch2@ccu.umanitoba.ca>

ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov3.213601.11474@infonode.ingr.com>, ekins@infonode.ingr.com (Brian Ekins) writes:
> Yesterday I tried to run Sonix on my 2000 and when I double click one the
> icon it begins to load and then everything slows way down.  The cursor
> tracks very slowly and the computer is slow to react to any input.  If
>
> Any suggestions?

 I remember having a very similar problem while repairing my A2000 after
an errant lighting bolt got into my modem. After replacing the cooked
CIA chips, the system ran fine except for this symptom in Sonix. Turns out
one of the RS-232 chips was also cooked, and it was holding one of the
serial port status lines active (I forget which). Apparently Sonix looks
there for MIDI stuff whenever it is running; as soon as I replaced the
fried line receiver the problem dissapeared. What do you have plugged into
your serial port? You might want to try removing in and seeing if that
clears up your problem.
 Scott Denham
  Houston, Tx
   ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com