[comp.sys.amiga] PAL: no. of lines?

db@cs.ed.ac.uk (Dave Berry) (11/05/90)

I recall someone saying that PAL amigas output 512 line screens.
Is this right?  PAL TVs have 625 lines, so I would have expected
that number from a PAL Amiga (with 312 lines in non-interlaced modes).

--
 Dave Berry, LFCS, Edinburgh Uni.      db%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

 "Dumping 33546240 bytes to dev 0x70e0100, offset 124968.
 Don't cycle power ..."

hood@cbmvax.commodore.com (Scott Hood) (11/06/90)

In article <1470@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> db@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Dave Berry) writes:
>I recall someone saying that PAL amigas output 512 line screens.
>Is this right?  PAL TVs have 625 lines, so I would have expected
>that number from a PAL Amiga (with 312 lines in non-interlaced modes).
>
>--
> Dave Berry, LFCS, Edinburgh Uni.      db%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
>
> "Dumping 33546240 bytes to dev 0x70e0100, offset 124968.
> Don't cycle power ..."

PAL video modes are made up of two 312.5 line fields being scanned out
at 50Hz each to make up a frame of 625 lines at 25Hz rate using
interlacing.  The default PAL Amiga screen is 512 lines long but of
coarse more is available via overscanning.  About the most number of
lines in a PAL Amiga would be about 576 lines more or less due to the
trade offs you are willing to have in regard to vertical blanking.  NTSC
is much the same situation but with different numbers.

Scott Hood

Scott Hood, Hardware Design Engineer (A3000 Crew),  Commodore-Amiga, Inc.
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!hood   hood@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
  "The views expressed here are not necessarily those of my employer!"

spence@cbmvax.commodore.com (Spencer Shanson) (11/06/90)

In article <1470@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> db@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Dave Berry) writes:
>I recall someone saying that PAL amigas output 512 line screens.
>Is this right?  PAL TVs have 625 lines, so I would have expected
>that number from a PAL Amiga (with 312 lines in non-interlaced modes).

The PAL Amiga generates 256 lines as default in non-interlaced mode, and 512
in interlaced mode. The other 113 lines form the display border (in the
background colour of the vertically highest screen).

The height of the display can be changed using overscan modes (which under 2.0
can be set from a preferences file).

Howzat?

Spencer Shanson - Amiga Software Engineer     | email: spence@commodore.COM
                                              | or uunet!cbmvax!spence
All opinions expressed are my own, and do not | "A picture is worth 1000
(necessarily) represent those of Commodore.   | words, or about 300,000

rda233b@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (m.l. 8933859 leighton) (11/06/90)

db@cs.ed.ac.uk (Dave Berry) writes:

>I recall someone saying that PAL amigas output 512 line screens.
>Is this right?  PAL TVs have 625 lines, so I would have expected
>that number from a PAL Amiga (with 312 lines in non-interlaced modes).

A standard, non-interlaced, non-overscan PAL screen is 256 lines long.
Overscan increases this to 312, and interlace doubles everything.
(Meaning that the _are_ 624 lines to an overscan, interlaced screen.)
Please feel free to correct me...

> Dave Berry, LFCS, Edinburgh Uni.      db%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
--
        ///                               ^^^^^
   __  ///                               (o   o)  Didn't 25 years of Doctor

In article <1470@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> db@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Dave Berry) writes:
>I recall someone saying that PAL amigas output 512 line screens.
>Is this right?  PAL TVs have 625 lines, so I would have expected
>that number from a PAL Amiga (with 312 lines in non-interlaced modes).

Well, you never can use the full screen height. Some of these lines
are dedicated for checking purposes, don't know whether also sync is
counted with them. So, 625 is the absolute maximum and far more than
what is visible.
BTW also NTSC has more than the Amiga 400 lines, I think NTSC is
about 525 lines (or similar).

esucv@warwick.ac.uk (Blitter) (11/06/90)

I remember reading a while back that the PAL tv system uses less than 625
lines for the actual picture (eg teletext uses some of the non-visible 'spare'
lines). This could explain why the Amiga only displays 576 lines.

-Tony