[comp.sys.amiga] What all comp.sys.amiga.**** readers should know.

ferry@chorus.fr (Ferry de Jong) (10/29/90)

Hello fellow Amiga-users,

It took me a long time to make the decision to really post this article, but
I have to say this with pain in my heart:

	     You are making a mess out of the groups

The following may overlap a lot of the local call for discussion to split
the groups but it has a quite different approach. I think it isn't needed to
create more groups and that we can manage with the current ones if we use them
wisely. Next are a few short paragraphs that describe, in my opinion, what is
happening in comp.sys.amiga.**** and causes of the call for more groups.

Posting in several groups:

There are people who post one article in several comp.sys.amiga.**** groups. I
think this is absolutely unnecessary. People who don't read the sub-group where
the article is posted have a reason for this and posting it in several groups
doesn't increase the number of responses. At least not the interesting ones.

Posting in the wrong group:

It is hard to believe that so many people are able to pick exactly the wrong
newsgroup to post something. Look at the next four articles I found today in
comp.sys.amiga and belong in a different group. (No personal hard feeling
against the posters)

10940) For sale Amiga 2000. 80 Mb disk. 2Mb ram ~ 28 (christopher kushmerick)
-----  Should be in misc.forsale.computers, shouldn't it?
10950) Empire...(2.2 or whatever) ~ 22 (++ Q ++)
-----  Should be in comp.sys.amiga.games, shouldn't it?
10954) Complete Amiga 1000 system 4 sale ~ 17 (Keith Barrett)
-----  Should be in misc.forsale.computers, shouldn't it?
10962) Xetec CD-ROM drive ~ 111 (Robin C. LaPasha)
-----  Should be in comp.sys.amiga.hardware, shouldn't it?

Think, before you post. It isn't difficult to pick the right group.

Posting useless articles:

People who post articles saying 'Thanks for the responses' or send flames to
the author of a previous article are not very social. It appears to me they
just do that to 'get a kick out of' knowing a lot of people will read *their*
article. All I can say to them is: Grow up, try to be mature.

Well that's all I have to say for now. (Yes, I'm trying to be brief and not
to force people to read a lot of rubbish before they get the information.)

CONCLUSIONS

Post only in *ONE* comp.amiga.**** newsgroup.

Post to only *one* of the following groups according to the article's contents
comp.sys.amiga.games	Everything about games, including modem stuff.
comp.sys.amiga.hardware	Everything about add-ons, and problems probably
			caused by the machine's hardware.
comp.sys.amiga.tech	All about programming that is amiga-dependant and
			other problems that are software related.
comp.sys.amiga		Discussions about C=, general (FTP) questions and
			discussions.

Please only post something if it is important/interesting. If we all reduce
the number of messages there is a big chance that it's worth reading again
and the right people will read the right messages so you get responses from
people that really know something about the subject.

Use e-mail to respond to *easy* problems to reduce the traffic in the groups.
The easy questions are often answered by a lot of people an are of little
interest to the majority of group-readers so use up a lot of unnecessary
space in the groups.
Being poster of an article it is often a good idea to ask for e-mail response
and to suggest to post a SUMMARY later on for general enlightment about the
subject.

Try to use meaningful names for your articles.

 ___  ___  ___   ___  _  _     _    _
(  _)(  _)(  ,) (  ,)( \/ ) | ( \/\/ )riting software takes twice as long
 ) _) ) _) )  \  )  \ \  /  |  \    /        as you expect it to take...
(_)  (___)(_)\_)(_)\_)(_/   |   \/\/     Even if you keep this in mind!
e-mail: ferry@chorus.fr

W_TROIA@upr1.upr.cun.edu (Paolo V. Troia) (10/31/90)

In article <6658@chorus.fr>, ferry@chorus.fr (Ferry de Jong) writes:
>[...]
>	     You are making a mess out of the groups
>
>The following may overlap a lot of the local call for discussion to split
>the groups but it has a quite different approach. I think it isn't needed to
>create more groups and that we can manage with the current ones if we use them
>wisely. Next are a few short paragraphs that describe, in my opinion, what is
>happening in comp.sys.amiga.**** and causes of the call for more groups.
>[...]
>Posting in the wrong group:
>
>It is hard to believe that so many people are able to pick exactly the wrong
>newsgroup to post something. Look at the next four articles I found today in
>comp.sys.amiga and belong in a different group. (No personal hard feeling
>against the posters)
>[...]
>Think, before you post. It isn't difficult to pick the right group.
     No, it isn't that difficult to pick the right group... *if* you have a
choice of newsgroups to post it to, that is. Keep in mind that not *all*
the people who send articles to the net have direct access to Usenet, and
thus might not have much of a choice of newsgroups when posting their
articles. Some people (like me) get the c.s.a.* newsgroups over the mail by
means of amiga-relay. Unfortunately, the only newsgroup we can post to
using amiga-relay (to the best of my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong) is
c.s.a. So even when we might be aware that an article should be posted to
misc.computers.forsale, for example, we have no choice but to post it to
c.s.a. (assuming it's Amiga-related, of course).

     I think the poster made some very good points, and I agree that people
who have a choice should try to post their articles to the propper groups
(and avoid inconveniencing other fellow users...). Just remember not
*everyone* has a choice of newsgroups when posting, so please think twice
before flaming a mis-posted article's poster.

     I, for one, I'm sorry if I have to inconvinience fellow netters with
my postings in the future, but please understand that at this time I simply
have no other choice (if you happen to know of an alternative, please *do*
let me know!).

Paolo V. Troia                          w_troia@upr1.upr.clu.edu
University of Puerto Rico               Phone: (809)834-3405

dgold@basso.actrix.co.nz (Dale Gold) (11/05/90)

Quoted from - ferry@chorus.fr (Ferry de Jong):

[...lots of good ideas about using the net more effectively deleted...]

Thanks for your comments, Ferry. Although I think that splitting c.s.a
would be a good thing, I agree that people could help the situation by
exercising their grey matter a wee bit before posting articles.

I'd like to add For-Sale postings to your list. Do people in the US
REALLY think that someone in New Zealand or Finland is going to buy
their A1000 or 1084 monitor? It's very easy to adjust the Distribution
line appropriately!
--
  %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
  |                              |    Critics can't even make     |

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (11/07/90)

> Thanks for your comments, Ferry. Although I think that splitting c.s.a
> would be a good thing, I agree that people could help the situation by
> exercising their grey matter a wee bit before posting articles.
>
> I'd like to add For-Sale postings to your list. Do people in the US
> REALLY think that someone in New Zealand or Finland is going to buy
> their A1000 or 1084 monitor? It's very easy to adjust the Distribution
> line appropriately!

Funny you should bring up that point.  I have sold both an A2620 and a 2091
with 40 meg Quantum drive to separate people in Finland over the net.  So,
yes, I think people in New Zealand or Finland WILL purchase items advertized
here to the world.

Besides, my news reader/poster doesn't do distribution lines....

-- Bob
______ Pro-Graphics BBS  `It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!' ________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl         |         Pro-Graphics: 908/469-0049
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil      |       America Online: Graphics3d
Internet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com       |           CompuServe: RIP
          Raven Enterprises  25 Raven Avenue  Piscataway, NJ 08854