[comp.sys.amiga] ZModem

NU111414@NDSUVM1.BITNET (12/11/87)

      Does anyone know of any terminal programs out that support zmodem?

                                      Thanks in Advance,
                                    Ryan Harlicker

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (03/15/88)

Well, I found what most likely is as good as I'll get.  I found the source
code for SZ and RZ on Unix.  However, it's completely Unix, and it'll take
a while to put it on the Amiga.  As soon as I get the conversion finished,
I'll post it to Usenet.

Now here's the problem.  All the Usenet-ites *still* haven't figured out
a way to implement external protocols.  *I* still think *my* idea is best
of course :) - whatever my idea is. :)  Now PLEEZ decide!  For now I'm
putting the stuff into a junky little terminal program (A-Term, the junk
version :), and I really don't like seeing such a nice protocol going into
such a junky program.  I'd like to get it into VT100 and Handshake, but
all I want to do is work on Zmodem, not a bunch of interface routines.
So...this thing is comming right along, so you'd better decide quick!

BTW, this is Bryan Ford calling from my friend's account.

                                Bryan

        Bryan Ford                    //// A computer does what \\\\
Snail:  1790 East 1400 North         //// you tell it to do, not \\\\
        Logan, UT 84321          \\\X///  what you want it to do. \\\X///
Email:  FATQW@USU.BITNET          \XXX/ Murphy's Law Calendar 1986 \XXX/

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (03/22/88)

In article <8803150217.AA15365@jade.berkeley.edu> SLMYQ@USU.BITNET writes:
>Now here's the problem.  All the Usenet-ites *still* haven't figured out
>a way to implement external protocols.

I've pretty much decided what I'm gonna do with VT100.  The user will be
able to specify, in the vt100.init file, something like:

      EXT   FOO   FOO @LOCAL @REMOTE FLAGS-AND-PARAMETERS

@LOCAL will be replaced with the local filename, @REMOTE will be replaced
by the remote filename (all gotten via requester if they are present in
the command...if not present, no requester will be brought up).  VT100
will quiesce its use of the serial port (by, at the user's option, closing
it or opening it SHARED in the first place and simply killing its read
request) the invoking FOO.  The first FOO is what's shown in the menu, the
remainder of the line is the command, with substitutions as stated above.
Note that @LOCAL and @REMOTE can be anywhere in the command and may appear
multiple times.

Howzat sound?
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (03/26/88)

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (Bryan Ford in disguise) writes:

> Now here's the problem.  All the Usenet-ites *still* haven't figured out
> a way to implement external protocols.

What do you think the discussion about IPC is for?  Once an IPC
standard exists, it won't be difficult to write a file transfer
program for whatever wacko protocol is invented tomorrow.  And once
it's done, every communications program that speaks the IPC standard
will be able to use it.  That's much more powerful than having just
one program able to use protocol modules.

			--M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"talking about music is like dancing about architecture" -- laurie anderson

cmp8163@information-systems.east-anglia.ac.uk ("P.N.J. Vlietstra") (11/07/90)

Hello,

Could some kind person please send me the protocol DESCRIPTION
for ZModem ? I have been trying to get it for some while now,
with no success. I have the executables for the Amiga, but I need
the protocol description for a project. An FTP site from which it
can be obtained will also be welcomed.
Thanks,

Peter Vlietstra
cmp8163@sys.uea.ac.uk
University of East Anglia
Norwich
England
--------
P.S. Please reply to me directly, since our system here doesn't receive
comp.sys.amiga articles.