[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore to take over Sun's 680x0 and 386 lines?

jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) (10/17/90)

w/o permission...

Infoworld, 15Oct90, "Notes from the field" (a "rumors" column).

JUST PLANE DELUSIONS?
Stretching the bounds of *any* reality, I've heard that Commodore
and Sun will in November announce that Commodore will take over Sun's
Intel and Motorola workstation lines.  I'm still not sure I believe
this, but the idea is that Sun doesn't want the support burden,
while COmmodore is desperate to get into the Unix market.

--
J. Eric Townsend     Internet: jet@uh.edu    Bitnet: jet@UHOU
Systems Manager - University of Houston Dept. of Mathematics - (713) 749-2120

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) (10/17/90)

J. Eric Townsend notes that the virtual Bob Cringley at InfoWorld
had in his latest column:

> Stretching the bounds of *any* reality, I've heard that Commodore
> and Sun will in November announce that Commodore will take over Sun's
> Intel and Motorola workstation lines.  I'm still not sure I believe
> this, but the idea is that Sun doesn't want the support burden,
> while Commodore is desperate to get into the Unix market.

I find this a bit curious since Commodore already has a Unix system
that they're selling; the Amiga 3000.  Not only that, but it's supposedly
the first box in the market *shipping* with System V Release 4 too.
(and they didn't even announce it to the press *or* their customers!)

Curiouser and curiouser -- does anyone know what kind of CPU chip is
to be found inside the Amiga 3000?

						-- Dave Taylor
Intuitive Systems
Mountain View, California

taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

In article <1358@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>[CBM has] the first box in the market *shipping* with System V Release 4 too.
>(and they didn't even announce it to the press *or* their customers!)
>
>Curiouser and curiouser -- does anyone know what kind of CPU chip is
>to be found inside the Amiga 3000?

Sure.  It's your choice of 16 or 25Mhz 68030 w/ fpu. (don't remember which
one).

And they haven't announced SVR4 because it isn't really out yet.  Va.
Tech students will be able to buy it soon, but they'll probably be
the first in line.  CBM has been showing "pre-release" to various
gov't agencies and their contractors.

CBM has a couple of goons at the top who suck off vast amounts of corporate
profit.  It doesn't surprise me at all that they would want to buy into
a solid cash flow.
--

dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Dave Rasmussen) (10/17/90)

From article <1358@limbo.Intuitive.Com>, by taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor):

> Curiouser and curiouser -- does anyone know what kind of CPU chip is
> to be found inside the Amiga 3000?

As far as I know it's a 68030.

While I'm at it, I've been considering getting out of the amiga scene and
getting a NeXT until the other day someone mentioned something about a
educational discount color sparcstation for around $4995. Can anyone shed
any light on this?  How low can you go on the sparcstation lines as far
as education discounts go?

--
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT
AT&T:414-229-5133 USnail:Dave Rasmussen-CSD,Box 413 EMS380,Milwaukee,WI 53201

jac@sundance.llnl.gov (James Crotinger) (10/17/90)

  Boy, this is curious.

  The A3000 is a 68030 machine (16 or 25 MHz) with a slot for an '040
card when it comes out.

  Commodore's UNIX is not shipping yet (except to a few big buyers).
It is SVR4. Picking up Sun's Motorola based machines would certainly
make some sense from a software standpoint *if* these machines were
upgraded to run SVR4.

  Jim

James A. Crotinger   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab // The above views
jac@gandalf.llnl.gov P.O. Box 808;  L-630     \\ // are mine and are not
(415) 422-0259       Livermore CA  94550       \\/ necessarily those of LLNL.

In article <7025@uwm.edu> dave@csd4.csd.uwm.edu writes:
>educational discount color sparcstation for around $4995. Can anyone shed
>any light on this?  How low can you go on the sparcstation lines as far
>as education discounts go?

$4995 is what a student pays as well.  The "institutional educational"
price is around $3300.  That's monochrome and no disk.  (You do get
thick ether, scsi, 2 serial, 1 parallel, mouse and keyboard.)  That's
also without a tape or floppy drive.  And, most importantly, it doesn't
include a RTU license for SunOS (and the RTU price doesn't include
a physical copy of the software or the manual set).

Whew.  Buy an A3000.

--

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) (10/17/90)

taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:

|that they're selling; the Amiga 3000.  Not only that, but it's supposedly
|the first box in the market *shipping* with System V Release 4 too.
	NO, NO, ICL was first as far as I know. They have been shipping
	for months now!

|Curiouser and curiouser -- does anyone know what kind of CPU chip is
|to be found inside the Amiga 3000?
	Motorola 68040 AFAIK.
--
		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

lindholm@stilton.ucs.ubc.ca (George Lindholm) (10/18/90)

In article <1358@limbo.Intuitive.Com>, taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:

|> Curiouser and curiouser -- does anyone know what kind of CPU chip is
|> to be found inside the Amiga 3000?

It is a 68030.  Unix for the Amiga 3000 is supposed to be announced next
month at Comdex(?).

lindholm@ucs.ubc.ca     George_Lindholm@mtsg.ubc.ca      USERGNL@UBCMTSG.BITNET
University of British Columbia Computing Services
(604) 228-4375

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (10/18/90)

In article <1358@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>> Stretching the bounds of *any* reality, I've heard that Commodore
>> and Sun will in November announce that Commodore will take over Sun's
>> Intel and Motorola workstation lines.  I'm still not sure I believe
>> this, but the idea is that Sun doesn't want the support burden,
>> while Commodore is desperate to get into the Unix market.
>
>I find this a bit curious since Commodore already has a Unix system
>that they're selling; the Amiga 3000.  Not only that, but it's supposedly
>the first box in the market *shipping* with System V Release 4 too.
>(and they didn't even announce it to the press *or* their customers!)

I don't find this too wildly strange ...

Sun has been edging towards doing away with its 680x0 line for
quite some time.  But they have all those customers out there
with Sun3's who'll want support.  Soooo...  Oh, and there's this
Sun 386i I'm typing this on .. sigh.

As for Commodore not talking about the A3000/UX system -- well, they
have been talking about it but probably not very loudly.  They have
been demonstrating it at trade shows for at {least,almost} a year.
And they are shipping to customers, though it's a beta version that's
shipping to selected customers ..

The base SysVr4 isn't even out of beta test yet -- how could Commodore
be shipping to the general public?

Commodore is apparently a bit nervous about selling a Unix system through
their normal dealers.  Perhaps taking over Sun's 680x0 work would give
them access to dealer channels more able to deal with Unix?

>Curiouser and curiouser -- does anyone know what kind of CPU chip is
>to be found inside the Amiga 3000?

25 MHz 68030 with custom support chips that do all the fancy screen
modes & voice output one would expect from a Multi Media Computer.
There's also a slot sitting there on the mother board just waiting
for 68040's to come on market -- with 3rd party board vendors with
designs being designed ...

>						-- Dave Taylor
>Intuitive Systems
>Mountain View, California
>
>taylor@limbo.intuitive.com    or   {uunet!}{decwrl,apple}!limbo!taylor

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (10/18/90)

Heck, so far as anyone knows, (and from what I've seen of the guts of a
3000), the CPU is a 16 or 25 MHz 68030.
                                                --rw
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

johnk@pro-graphics.cts.com (John Kohanski) (10/18/90)

  Yes the  3000 has a motorola 68030.  the box comes with two different
configurations.  A 16Mhz and a 25Mhz version.
-- John Kohanski

 Pro-Graphics BBS  908/469-0049  "It's better than a sharp stick in the eye!"

Internet: johnk@pro-graphics.cts.com
    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!johnk
    ARPA: crash!pro-graphics!johnk@nosc.mil

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (10/19/90)

If this is true, not only would Commodore get into UNIX big time but it would
do wonders for their image as a "serious" computer company. Supporting the
Sun systems would also open opportunities to market Amiga systems to companies
who would have never considered Commodore products.

--
                                           ///
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |       ///  /\

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/19/90)

This would also open up lines to VARs for support of the A3000UX, and
AmigaUNIX.

Since your average Ami-dealer really isn't ready to support a UNIX customer,
these people would be.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

In article <1990Oct16.210223.11883@lavaca.uh.edu> jet@karazm.math.uh.edu (J. Eric Townsend) writes:
> Stretching the bounds of *any* reality, I've heard that Commodore
> and Sun will in November announce that Commodore will take over Sun's
> Intel and Motorola workstation lines.

Sounds great! Does this mean we'll get NeWS on the Amiga? NeWS skates on
X'es head!
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

sattlerc@motcid.UUCP (Chris Sattler) (10/19/90)

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:

>In article <1358@limbo.Intuitive.Com> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>>> Stretching the bounds of *any* reality, I've heard that Commodore
>>> and Sun will in November announce that Commodore will take over Sun's
>>> Intel and Motorola workstation lines.  I'm still not sure I believe
>>> this, but the idea is that Sun doesn't want the support burden,
>>> while Commodore is desperate to get into the Unix market.
>>
>I don't find this too wildly strange ...

>Sun has been edging towards doing away with its 680x0 line for
>quite some time.  But they have all those customers out there
>with Sun3's who'll want support.  Soooo...  Oh, and there's this
>Sun 386i I'm typing this on .. sigh.
><- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david@twg.com>

I have a letter for a sun sales executive.  It starts out talking
about how great SPARC is and how everybody wants one and nobody
wants Sun 3's anymore.  And then it says:

"It is very important to us that you know about changes to the Sun
product family that will be taking place over the next six months.
Sun will be discontinuing the Sun 3/80 and Sun 3/400 product lines
effective March 31st 1991.

New purchase requests for these systems will be accepted until
December 15th 1990 and deliveries must be taken by March 31st 1991.
In accordance with Sun 3 systems, and software will continue to be
supported by Sun for a period of five years, effective January 1st
1991."

There is then some stuff about migration plans toward SPARC.

This letter was sent to one of Sun's customer's in England.

korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) (10/22/90)

Not only would it be great to have an 040 Sun and Amiga in the office but to
have them both run NeWS would be wonderful.

If C= has really ported all of V.4 then we should get the X11/NeWS server too.
Anybody know for sure?

Peter

In article <1990Oct22.004657.12644@mcs.anl.gov> korp@atlantis.ees.anl.gov (Peter Korp) writes:
> If C= has really ported all of V.4 then we should get the X11/NeWS server too.

Ecch. Gilding a plastic lily.

I don't want NeWS on top of X. I want NeWS on top of Intuition.
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Thomas Weihrich) (10/25/90)

If Commodore took over the SUN 680x0 and 386 line, it would be a pest for
all decent SUN-users:
Still worse quality with an increased incompatibility and growing lack
of support.
The mere idea makes me puke.
Also, if I am to buy a computer, I'll buy a SUN (or a similar workstation);
if I want to get a video game, I'll stick with ATARI.

Disclaimer: the statements given above reflect my personal opinion
and are not intended to hurt anybody.
Thomas Weihrich
Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
weihrich@uniol.uucp
bitnet : Thomas.Weihrich%arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de@DOLUNI1

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) (10/27/90)

In article <3710@uniol.UUCP> Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Thomas Weihrich) writes:

>If Commodore took over the SUN 680x0 and 386 line, it would be a pest for
>all decent SUN-users:
>Still worse quality with an increased incompatibility and growing lack
>of support.
>The mere idea makes me puke.

If SUN is abandoning the -3 and -3x families, I'd petition DEC to bring
out an ULTRIX release for (a defined group og configurations of) these
machines. 68000's are good cousins for VAXes, and DEC support is so much
nicer than SUN support.
--
/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

brian@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) (10/28/90)

In article <3710@uniol.UUCP> Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Thomas Weihrich) writes:

>If Commodore took over the SUN 680x0 and 386 line, it would be a pest for
>all decent SUN-users:
>Still worse quality with an increased incompatibility and growing lack
>of support.
>The mere idea makes me puke.
>Also, if I am to buy a computer, I'll buy a SUN (or a similar workstation);
>if I want to get a video game, I'll stick with ATARI.
>
>Disclaimer: the statements given above reflect my personal opinion
>and are not intended to hurt anybody.

  ... yeah, and if I wanted your putrid opinion I would have been
reading comp.sys.sun or comp.sys.atari, so shut up.

-----

 rrr...grrr...rrr... huh? Who's being defensive? I'm just sick of having
to defend the best personal computer on the market because "it's not
popular".....

Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Thomas Weihrich) (10/30/90)

lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) writes:

>If SUN is abandoning the -3 and -3x families, I'd petition DEC to bring
>out an ULTRIX release for (a defined group og configurations of) these
>machines. 68000's are good cousins for VAXes, and DEC support is so much
>nicer than SUN support.
>--
>/ Lars Poulsen, SMTS Software Engineer
>  CMC Rockwell  lars@CMC.COM

I'd vote for this proposal.

Thomas Weihrich
Thomas Weihrich
Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
weihrich@uniol.uucp
bitnet : Thomas.Weihrich%arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de@DOLUNI1
> We had joy, we had fun, we had PACMAN for the SUN ... <

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (11/01/90)

[]
In article <3741@uniol.UUCP>
Thomas.Weihrich@arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de (Thomas Weihrich) writes:

> lars@spectrum.CMC.COM (Lars Poulsen) writes:

>> If SUN is abandoning the -3 and -3x families, I'd petition DEC to bring
>> out an ULTRIX release for (a defined group og configurations of) these
>> machines. 68000's are good cousins for VAXes, and DEC support is so much
>> nicer than SUN support.
> I'd vote for this proposal.

> Thomas Weihrich

But, could you AFFORD DEC's prices???

--

                                                Jim Pritchett

UUCP:  texsun.central.sun.com!letni!rwsys!caleb!jdp
 or    letni.lonestar.org!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

joseph@valnet.UUCP (Joseph P. Hillenburg) (11/08/90)

rvdp@cs.vu.nl (=Ronald van der Pol) writes:

> taylor@limbo.Intuitive.Com (Dave Taylor) writes:
>
> |that they're selling; the Amiga 3000.  Not only that, but it's supposedly
> |the first box in the market *shipping* with System V Release 4 too.
> 	NO, NO, ICL was first as far as I know. They have been shipping
> 	for months now!
>
> |Curiouser and curiouser -- does anyone know what kind of CPU chip is
> |to be found inside the Amiga 3000?
> 	Motorola 68040 AFAIK.
            ^^^^^

Motorola MC68030 @ 16 OR 25 mhz. The A3000 was designed to handle
MC68040's real easily, and making '040 Amigas, in this respect, will be
much easier than an '040 Mac. Remember, '040's aren't out yet, and NeXT
doesn't even have them either. I'll be Commodore has an '040 system ready
to go out the door as soon as they sell in mass quantities.
> --
> 		Ronald van der Pol  <rvdp@cs.vu.nl>

-Joseph Hillenburg

UUCP: ...iuvax!valnet!joseph